The Official Author's Hangout 2016 Valentine's Day Contest Support Thread

I just received an entry back from the editor. I think it will be about the most different love story anyone here has read. I didn't plan on entering the contests anymore, but this one dropped in my lap, and I think it will be illustrative of how the contests go.

I just received an entry back from the editor. I think it will be about the most different love story anyone here has read. I didn't plan on entering the contests anymore, but this one dropped in my lap, and I think it will be illustrative of how the contests go.

As in you feel the story is different and has something special to offer, but it won't do well in a popularity contest?

As the slow writer that I am, I won't get anything ready in time for the Valentine's day contest. I'm aiming for April Fool's!

Last edited:
I stumbled across a mother/son story I had started two years ago and had completely forgotten about as I stopped when we had to travel to the NIH for my wife's surgery.

It's two thirds done and the premise allows it to be tweaked to have a V-day theme to it. Nothing special, but its an entry and I've decided to give survivor one more go if they run it again so I'll need the contest points

No ideas thus far but have just started writing here as well as writing erotica. Perhaps something will hit me out of the blue and I'll get something in. Or maybe I'll take a quick survey from friends and see what their most secret valentines day fantasies are!

Are you allowed to submit more than one story to the contest? They're in two different categories, if that makes any difference.

No ideas thus far but have just started writing here as well as writing erotica. Perhaps something will hit me out of the blue and I'll get something in. Or maybe I'll take a quick survey from friends and see what their most secret valentines day fantasies are!

Welcome aboard. You're not alone in the no idea pool, if it makes you feel any better. I like to think the ideas will come in a nick of time. :)

Are you allowed to submit more than one story to the contest? They're in two different categories, if that makes any difference.

You can submit multiple stories, even in the same category. The only thing you have to watch is submitting partial stories or stories that span two entries -- that's not allowed.

The special rules for theme contests (as well as instructions for entering and the important dates) are in this post: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1268904

Good luck!

You can submit as many as you like--even in the same category.

You can submit as many as you like--even in the same category.
Might a dozen submissions in one category have repercussions? Like, readers might tire of seeing the same name?

Might a dozen submissions in one category have repercussions? Like, readers might tire of seeing the same name?

More than 2, (regardless of category) probably causes a negative reaction in some readers. Hell, 2 probably causes a negative reaction in some readers.

It's likely going to boil down to whether the person likes the first story of yours they open. If they did, they may move on to another. Then you have to keep them interested with that one. Every time you "miss", it's less likely they'll open another one, and more likely that they'll score it poorly in comparison to the ones they liked.

Once you get over two, you're probably reducing your odds in the contest more than you're improving them.

Depends on why you enter the contests. If it's to expand your readership, it's just fine to enter more than one. If it's to win, you'd best understand and utilize all of the campaign strategies this sieve of a contest permits--most of which have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the content of the story.

I think there's a law of diminishing returns no matter whether your goal is placing or getting new eyes.

It's more about that extreme example of a dozen than two or three, though. Unless you've been prepping for a while, odds are a couple of those dozen stories aren't going to be polished as well as they should be. If one of those is what the reader opens first, the rest may be left out in the cold.

odds are a couple of those dozen stories aren't going to be polished as well as they should be.

This supposition drives me right up the wall. There are writers--including writers here--who can produce a polished story every day and who have the time and inclination to do so. Let's just drop that unsupportable supposition.

But do you consider yourself the norm?

These types of questions are usually being asked by newcomers, who aren't likely to have the experience you do. That's the position I'm posting to.

This supposition drives me right up the wall. There are writers--including writers here--who can produce a polished story every day and who have the time and inclination to do so. Let's just drop that unsupportable supposition.

But do you consider yourself the norm?

These types of questions are usually being asked by newcomers, who aren't likely to have the experience you do. That's the position I'm posting to.

Who is to say that a full-time professional writer can't come here as a newcomer? Your supposition is biased without foundation. Also, I posted that there were multiple writers here capable of spitting out polished stories quickly; I didn't post that I considered myself anything.

Freddie can churn them out to favorable comment as can a poster named Ashson, who is about to take over my slot on the most productive author list and who has gotten there in half the time it has taken me. Silkstockingslover posts a story a week and is frequently cited on the forum as a favorite author.

Last edited:
There's no point in dragging this out any further. We have differing viewpoints, they've both been expressed, and people can decide which best applies to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkniciad
odds are a couple of those dozen stories aren't going to be polished as well as they should be.

"Odds are" - more than 50% chance - is a far cry from any sort of absolute declaration, especially when qualified with both "as they could be be" and a "couple of those dozen."
While it is a supposition, it seems one likely be accurate because it of its very imprecision.

So, you like to belittle the capabilities of other writers? Seems unnecessarily snarky. :rolleyes:

Yayyy! I had an idea for a story but I really wasn't sure I'd get time to write it down and do all the other stuff for it.

I got an early night last night and woke up at 1 am, so I got up, wrote half of it, had a snooze while watching the rugby on YouTube, then wrote the other half. I have even had time to type up most of it, since the Fella has failed to return Piglet 'after lunch' as he said he would. Perhaps there is even time for a trusted editor to cast a quick eye over it for me before I need to get back onto it.
:cathappy:

(Maybe I should phone and find out when Piglet is coming home, so I can be sure she will be back in time to sort out her school bag ... nah, if he is really late he might even give her tea too. Maybe I should phone and suggest he gives her tea! then I can finish typing up the story and watch a bit more rugby :))

I lost my story mojo. It's not looking good. I'm pulling teeth to get words every day at all. Best of luck everyone.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. Sometimes it's just like this. Soldier on, I guess?

Soldier on indeed. I'm not the only writer to look back on the products of those days and not be able to tell they were so laborious or forced. Rarely is there a long smooth downhill ride without a some uphill efforts along the way.

Back