Artifacts from the Labyrinth

A 10,000-year-old skull found in Somerset, at what is believed to be the oldest cemetery in the UK, has gone on public display in Bridgwater.

In 1928 about five skulls were found at a sand quarry in Greylake, near Othery on the Somerset Levels and Moors.

This year radiocarbon dating revealed the two remaining skulls dated as far back as 8,300BC, the Mesolithic period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-14332346
 
Radio Listeners in Panic, Taking War
Drama as Fact

MANY FLEE HOMES TO ESCAPE
'GAS RAID FROM MARS'—
PHONE CALLS SWAMP POLICE
AT BROADCAST OF WELLS FANTASY

Oct. 31, 1938

A wave of mass hysteria seized thousands of radio listeners between 8:15 and 9:30 o'clock last night when a broadcast of a dramatization of H. G. Wells's fantasy, "The War of the Worlds," led thousands to believe that an interplanetary conflict had started with invading Martians spreading wide death and destruction in New Jersey and New York.
The broadcast, which disrupted households, interrupted religious services, created traffic jams and clogged communications systems, was made by Orson Welles, who as the radio character, "The Shadow," used to give "the creeps" to countless child listeners. This time at least a score of adults required medical treatment for shock and hysteria.
Some began moving household furniture.

Throughout New York families left their homes, some to flee to near-by parks. Thousands of persons called the police, newspapers and radio stations here and in other cities of the United States and Canada seeking advice on protective measures against the raids.

The program was produced by Mr. Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air over station WABC and the Columbia Broadcasting System's coast-to-coast network, from 8 to 9 o'clock.

The radio play, as presented, was to simulate a regular radio program with a "break-in" for the material of the play. The radio listeners, apparently, missed or did not listen to the introduction, which was: "The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 'The War of the Worlds' by H. G. Wells."

They also failed to associate the program with the newspaper listening of the program, announced as "Today: 8:00-9:00—Play: H. G. Wells's 'War of the Worlds'—WABC." They ignored three additional announcements made during the broadcast emphasizing its fictional nature

Mr. Welles opened the program with a description of the series of which it is a part. The simulated program began. A weather report was given, prosaically. An announcer remarked that the program would be continued from a hotel, with dance music. For a few moments a dance program was given in the usual manner. Then there was a "break-in" with a "flash" about a professor at an observatory noting a series of gas explosions on the planet Mars.


News bulletins and scene broadcasts followed, reporting, with the technique in which the radio had reported actual events, the landing of a "meteor" near Princeton N. J., "killing" 1,500 persons, the discovery that the "meteor" was a "metal cylinder" containing strange creatures from Mars armed with "death rays" to open hostilities against the inhabitants of the earth.

Despite the fantastic nature of the reported "occurrences," the program, coming after the recent war scare in Europe and a period in which the radio frequently had interrupted regularly scheduled programs to report developments in the Czechoslovak situation, caused fright and panic throughout the area of the broadcast.

Telephone lines were tied up with calls from listeners or persons who had heard of the broadcasts. Many sought first to verify the reports. But large numbers, obviously in a state of terror, asked how they could follow the broadcast's advice and flee from the city, whether they would be safer in the "gas raid" in the cellar or on the roof, how they could safeguard their children, and many of the questions which had been worrying residents of London and Paris during the tense days before the Munich agreement.

So many calls came to newspapers and so many newspapers found it advisable to check on the reports despite their fantastic content that The Associated Press sent out the following at 8:48 P. M.:
"Note to Editors:
Queries to newspapers from radio listeners throughout the United States tonight, regarding a reported meteor fall which killed a number of New Jerseyites, are the result of a studio dramatization.
The A. P."

Similarly police teletype systems carried notices to all stationhouses, and police short-wave radio stations notified police radio cars that the event was imaginary.

calls from listeners or persons who had heard of the broadcasts. Many sought first to verify the reports. But large numbers, obviously in a state of terror, asked how they could follow the broadcast's advice and flee from the city, whether they would be safer in the "gas raid" in the cellar or on the roof, how they could safeguard their children, and many of the questions which had been worrying residents of London and Paris during the tense days before the Munich agreement.

So many calls came to newspapers and so many newspapers found it advisable to check on the reports despite their fantastic content that The Associated Press sent out the following at 8:48 P. M.:
"Note to Editors:

Queries to newspapers from radio listeners throughout the United States tonight, regarding a reported meteor fall which killed a number of New Jerseyites, are the result of a studio dramatization. The A. P."

Similarly police teletype systems carried notices to all stationhouses, and police short-wave radio stations notified police radio cars that the event was imaginary.

Message From the Police
The New York police sent out the
following:

"To all receivers: Station WABC informs us that the broadcast just concluded over that station was a dramatization of a play. No cause for alarm."
The New Jersey State Police teletyped the following:
"Note to all receivers—
WABC broadcast as drama re this section being attacked by residents of Mars. Imaginary affair."

"I heard that broadcast and almost had a heart attack," said Louis Winkler of 1,322 Clay Avenue, the Bronx. "I didn't tune it in until the program was half over, but when I heard the names and titles of Federal, State and municipal officials and when the 'Secretary of the Interior'was introduced, I was convinced it was the McCoy. I ran out into the street with scores of others, and found people running in all directions. The whole thing came over as a news broadcast and in my mind it was a pretty crummy thing to do."

Record Westchester Calls

The State, county, parkway and local police in Westchester Counter were swamped also with calls from terrified residents.
Of the local police departments, Mount Vernon, White Plains, Mount Kisco, Yonkers and Tarrytown received most of the inquiries. At first the authorities thought they were being made the victims of a practical joke, but when the calls persisted and increased in volume they began to make inquiries. The New York Telephone Company reported that it had never handled so many calls in one hour in years in Westchester.

Columbia Explains Broadcast

The Columbia Broadcasting System issued a statement saying that the adaptation of Mr. Wells's novel which was broadcast "followed the original closely, but to make the imaginary details more interesting to American listeners the adapter, Orson Welles, substituted an American locale for the English scenes of the story."

Pointing out that the fictional character of the broadcast had been announced four times and had been previously publicized, it continued:
"Nevertheless, the program apparently was produced with such vividness that some listeners who may have heard only fragments thought the broadcast
was fact,not fiction."

Expressing profound regret that his dramatic efforts should cause such consternation, Mr. Welles said: "I don't think we will choose anything like this again." He hesitated about presenting it, he disclosed, because "it was our thought that perhaps people might be bored or annoyed at hearing a tale so improbable."
 
Movin' On (TV series 1974–1976)
Breakout

While Will goes to the bank to cash a check, Sonny delivers a load to a minimum security prison farm, and an
inmate stowaway forces Sonny to take him to his girlfriend so they can get married.

Michael Parks TV marriage? Wedding gift is truck driving school for the new wife.
 
At Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area, two of Mary Patton’s large kettles
are preserved as part of displays that document life on the frontier and
celebrate the role of the Overmountain Men in American History.

Under the overhang of the shelving rock where the men camped
after their first day’s march, a plaque erected by the D.A.R. says:
“First night’s encampment of the King’s Mountain Men,
September 26, 1780.

They trusted in God and kept their powder dry.”

Mary's role in the Battle of King's Mountain was to provide 500 pounds of gunpowder to the 850 Overmountain Men from her mill located on what would become known as Powder Branch outside of present-day Elizabethton, TN.

As you stand on the grounds of Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area, you stand on the very lands where historical events of monumental significance have taken place. It is here, that families came together, made their homes, formed a new government, bought & traded land from the Cherokee, and ultimately, fought for the freedom we hold so dear today.

The series of events that unfolded at Sycamore Shoals were critical to state and national history in the 18th century. These dramatic chapters in America's westward expansion set the tone for a number of events that helped propel the British colonies towards independence and a democratic form of government.

Sycamore Shoals and the Watauga River Valley Area, was the site of one of the earliest settlements outside of the 13 original English colonies. It was here that the Watauga Association, the first majority-rule system of American democratic government was formed when, in 1772, the settlers elected five of their number to "govern and direct for the common good of all the people." These Articles of the Watauga Association invested in those elected representatives the legislative, judicial and executive functions of their fledgling government.

Sycamore Shoals was a busy area as the 1700's drew to a close, as it became a hub for pioneers from North Carolina and Virginia, who were pushing westward and settling along the Watauga River. Trails connected the Watauga Settlement to Fort Patrick Henry and Fort Robinson near present day Kingsport, Sapling Grove (Bristol), Wolf Hills (Abingdon,VA) and Rocky Mount, located between Johnson City and Bristol, which later became the territorial capital of the Southwest Territory.

It was at Sycamore Shoals in March 1775 that the largest private real estate transaction in the nation's history took place, the Transylvania Purchase. A company led by Richard Henderson of North Carolina bought 20 million acres of land, stretching from the Cumberland River watershed to the Kentucky River. The Transylvania Company paid the Cherokees 2,000 pounds sterling and goods worth an additional 8,000 pounds for the land.

Prior to the deal being closed, Native Americans totaling more than 1,200 spent weeks in counsel at Sycamore Shoals debating the merits of the deal. Cherokee warrior Dragging Canoe was firmly against giving up the land and resisted the deal but was overridden by Chief Little Carpenter who ignored his misgivings and signed the deed amid great ceremony and celebration.

The settlers constructed a stockade, Fort Watauga, opposite Sycamore Shoals and it became a refuge for them when, less than a year after the Transylvania deal, Dragging Canoe, aided by English agents, waged war against the pioneers, determined to drive them from the lands they had purchased.

The slate of leaders at the fort reads like a roster of state and national historical figures. The commanders included Col. John Carter, Capt. James Robertson, who would found Nashville, a few years later, and Lt. John Sevier, the man who would be Tennessee's first governor.

A band of warriors under Old Abram of Chilhowee laid siege to the fort for approximately two weeks but when the settlers refused to surrender, the Indians gave up and departed.

Perhaps the most significant event associated with Sycamore Shoals was the muster of the "Overmountain Men" militia who fought and defeated a Loyalist army at the Battle of Kings Mountain.

The British were gaining an upper hand in the South during the fall of 1780. With Lord Cornwallis'' defeat of General Gates at Camden, SC the Carolinas had no defense except for Patriot militia. British Major Patrick Ferguson was given command of the Loyalist militia in the Carolinas. If the "rebels" did not cease their opposition to the Crown, he threatened to "march his army over the mountains, hang the leaders and lay waste their country with fire and sword." Colonels Isaac Shelby and John Sevier decided on a plan to gather militia units from the Overmountain settlements and attack Ferguson.

On September 25, 1780, approximately 1,100 men gathered at Sycamore Shoals and marched in pursuit of Major Ferguson and his Loyalists. These "Overmountain Men", as they became known, caught Ferguson on October 7 at King's Mountain in South Carolina and soundly defeated the British forces with Ferguson being killed in the hour-long battle.

The victory of the "Overmountain Men" at King's Mountain is considered by many historians to be a turning point in the Revolutionary War. Indeed, Sir Henry Clinton, commander of British forces in America, later pronounced Ferguson's defeat at King's Mountain as "the first link in a chain of events that followed each other in regular succession until they at last ended in the total loss of America."

Years later Thomas Jefferson called the event "that memorable victory the joyful annunciation of that turn of the tide of success, which terminated the Revolutionary War with the seal of independence."
 
"The exhibits culminated in the display of the museum’s most famous artifact, a stone sculpture known as the Zbruch Idol.
Thought to represent the Slavic deity Swiatowid, its four sides depict a range of figures capped by haunting, enigmatic faces."

Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi Historical Museum

http://www.ma.krakow.pl/

Zbrush Idol

http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/picturedisplay.asp?linkpath=pic\Z\B\Zbruch_idol.jpg

Sventevith, Svetovid, Suvid, Svantevit, Svantovit,Svantovít, Swantovít, Sventovit, Zvantevith, Świętowit,Światowid,
Sutvid, Vid. and, incorrectly, Światowit, isthe Slavic deity of war, fertility and abundance, sometimes referred to as Beli
(or Byali) Vid, Beli =white, bright, shining

A statue portraying the god reveals four heads, each one looking in a separate direction, a symbolical representation
for the four directions at the compass and maybe for the four yearly seasons, as well.

"The Russian Primary Chronicle describes the smashing and burning of the idols in Kiev in 988 with that of Perun being dragged
behind a horse, beaten and thrown into the Dnieper, while Otto's biographers and Saxon go into some detail about similar
destruction and desecration of the images of West Slav gods."

(The Christian efforts to make horses less sacred in the minds of people, is fully successful. In 2012, the horses are dying horrific and
inhumane deaths at the hands of greedy and corrupted people.) The Christians could'nt tolerate the competition. So, the animals suffered.

"The sacrifice of horses, as disclosed by these written and archaeological sources, implies the eating of horsemeat, since sacrificial meat
is invariably consumed by the worshippers. Indeed, it is likely that Christians opposed the eating of horsemeat
not because it was horse but because it was sacrificed."

"A few such images have even survived. Some polycephalic images have been found in excavation of West Slav sites and
the dramatic Svantevit Stone, now in Krakow indicates that images could be made of stone as well as wood."

Berend, Nora, Ed. - Christianization and the Rise of Christian via Central Europe and Rus' c. 900-1200
 
http://www.thesteamelephant.co.uk/The_Steam_Elephant/About_Us_files/IMG_1133.jpg

Wallsend is steeped in history, and coal mining was a big part in the interesting past of this glorious town. Wallsend was once famed for it’s top quality coal, (Black Diamonds).
The era of mining in Wallsend began in 1778 when work started on a sinking shaft close to Segedunum known as pit A and by 1802 a further 6 shafts were sunk giving 7 pits in total.

At first horse and carts were used to transport the coal, but later came a locomotive known as “The Steam Elephant” which would carry the precious cargo from the pits
to the staiths (loading jetties) on the river’s banks from where it was loaded into keels or collier ships.

The Steam Elephant was built by William Chapman and John Buddle two prominent figures in Wallsend as early as 1815, and moved along wooden rails.
It was transferred to Washington for a short while but then returned back to Wallsend and on to iron tracks where it had a long successful working life.

The Beamish Museum-

http://www.beamish.org.uk/

The Steam Fair

http://www.beamish.org.uk/great-north-steam-fair/
 
The history of special effects begins even before the invention of the camera itself. During the 1700s, magicians utilized many techniques to perform
optical illusions and astound their audiences. These techniques formed the foundations of special effects. One of the most used effects in magic shows
during this period was the summoning of the dead - spiritism. A small box with a light source and a semi-transparent slide was used to project images of
historical figures onto columns of smoke or billowing cloth. This gave a ghostly motion to the image, frightening audiences to the point that several magicians
were jailed for their satanic work.

http://utminers.utep.edu/lacarrera/history.htm
 
Artifact from the Dark Ages=

St Cuthbert Gospel to be exhibited in Durham following £9m fundraising campaign

(17 April 2012)

The St Cuthbert Gospel - the earliest surviving European book - will be displayed on a 50:50 basis between the British Library and
Durham's UNESCO World Heritage Site after £9million was raised to secure the 7th Century manuscript.

A manuscript copy of the Gospel of St John, the St Cuthbert Gospel was produced in the North East of England in the late 7th century
and was placed in St Cuthbert's coffin on Lindisfarne, apparently in 698.

The manuscript has been digitised in full, allowing it to be made freely available online for the first time via the Library's
Digitised Manuscripts webpage.

See: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/

The Very Reverend Michael Sadgrove, Dean of Durham, said: "It is the best possible news to know that the Cuthbert Gospel has been saved for the nation.

"For the people of Durham and North East England, this is a most treasured book. Buried with Cuthbert and retrieved from his coffin,
it held a place of great honour in Durham Cathedral Priory. The place in the Cathedral where it was kept in the middle ages is
still the home of our unique manuscript collection.

Chief Executive of the British Library, Dame Lynne Brindley, said: "To look at this small and intensely beautiful treasure from
the Anglo-Saxon period is to see it exactly as those who created it in the 7th Century would have seen it. The exquisite binding,
the pages, even the sewing structure survive intact, offering us a direct connection with our forebears 1300 years ago.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/news/newsitem/?itemno=14360
 
Sold on Ebay

Evil (Demonic?) Onion Ring
Item Ended
Item condition: --
Ended: Apr 11, 201214:30:47 PDT
Price: US $66.60
Shipping:
$2.00 Standard Shipping
Item location: Houston, TX, United States
Seller:
imbeagle
 
May 1, 2012

Chicago gets the news

May 02, 2012

Seward Johnson's Forever Marilyn sculpture arrived in Pioneer Court in July.
Six days until the sculpture finally moves on to the next city

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...e-statue-sculpture-foundation-melissa-farrell

May 7, 2012

Dismantle a sculpture, and truck it across the USA

May 8, 2012

Crews began dismantling the 26-foot, 40,000-pound “Forever Marilyn” on Monday night

http://www.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/12389214-417/marilyn-monroe-statue-comes-down.html

26-foot-tall, 34,000-pound, statue of Marilyn Monroe to be moved from Chicago's Michigan Avenue to the corner
of Palm Canyon and Tahquitz Canyon Way, Palm Springs. Due to arrive in Palm Springs on May 14, 2012

Several cities lined up to host the massive Marilyn when her Chicago residency wrapped, perhaps because August
marks the 50th anniversary of the Hollywood legend’s death.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-palm-springs-statue-20120507,0,3046238.story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/marilyn-monroe-statue-lea_n_1499284.html

August 22, 2009

Last week, movers packed up 15 statues as the third summer of the City Life-sponsored downtown exhibition wrapped up.

J. Seward Johnson Jr. Johnson & Johnson, the giant pharmaceutical company started by his grandfather-

Getting fired from the family business by his uncle, Robert Wood Johnson II, at the age of just 32.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...009/08/22/scott_elliott_sculptors_life_a.html
 
http://www.therestorationmovement.com/images2/knox03.jpg

"John Knox is buried in the St. Giles Cemetery, behind the St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland. As St. Giles is located on the Royal Mile/High Street
in the old part of the city, it has been very crowded and built up over the years. Some years ago, the city needed parking spaces, and hence covered
over the old cemetery with paving. Whether done unwittingly or not, it was obviously a poor judgment decision. Hence, the grave of the most important
religious reformer in the history of Scotland is now denoted as parking space 23. It also has a bronze plaque with no writing on it."

http://www.therestorationmovement.com/knox.htm

"John Knox, whose statue can be seen within the church and whose grave lies in the former churchyard."
(now paved and tarmaced over and used as a car park) to the rear of the building.)

http://www.bestofedinburgh.com/Page.asp?Title=*Royal+Mile&Section=65&Page=4
 
Filthy Luker

The goosebump-spreading sculptures of Filthy Luker (real name, Luke) look like complete Photoshops, but they're oh-so-real.
"I have been putting them up all over the world in many various places and ways since about 2004," the artist e-mails.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/ar...ping-art-day-giant-inflatable-tentacles/2032/

Portrait Street Art Installation von Filthy Luker - arte Tracks vom 5.05.2011
(tentacles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADV9SME-Ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1rgxTiYkWU

http://www.commeellevient.fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/filthy_luker_octopus1.jpg
 
Bridgewater Triangle, Massachusetts

Human artifacts discovered in the swamp have been dated at some 9,000 years old.
 
Pocahontas and Gravesend

Princess Pocahontas is buried in Gravesend but they've lost her grave.

Pocahontas and Gravesend

Her only connection with Gravesend is that she died there, but if you want to find her in England, her statue near where her mislaid grave is thought to be, is the main location.

She was very famous at the time. It is unfortunate that her grave place was lost.
 
Seems as though Pocahontas has left a line of descendants-

Thomas Rolfe, the son of Pocahontas, was raised up by an uncle in England. When he reached maturity, in 1640, completely on his own, he came
back to his birthplace of Virginia. He was given land by the Indians, who accepted him as their brother. This made him a wealthy man. He married
an English woman, whose actual name is not known although her name is usually given as Jane Poythress, since the Poythress family is believed
to have been in Virginia at that time. They had only one child, Jane Rolfe. Jane Rolfe married Robert Bolling in 1675. She died apparently in the
aftermath of childbirth in 1676. Her son was Col. John Bolling (1676-1729), who married Mary Kennon. They had one son and five daughters.
These six children and their children married into almost all of the prominent families of Virginia, including the Randolphs, making just about
every significant family in Virginia a relative of a descendant of Pocahontas.

After the death of Jane Rolfe, Robert Bolling took a second wife named Anne Stith. They are known to have had at least two sons who
produced more Bollings. These Stith Bollings, not the Pocahontas Bollings, were the ancestors of John Eppes. The grandmother of
John Eppes was Martha Bolling. Her father was Robert Bolling. However, this Robert Bolling was the son on Anne Stith.

http://www.anusha.com/pocahon.htm

http://www.stanford.edu/group/auden/cgi-bin/auden/individual.php?pid=I17647&ged=auden-bicknell.ged
 
The Icelandic Phallological Museum contains a collection of more than two hundred and fifteen penises and penile parts belonging to almost
all the land and sea mammals that can be found in Iceland. Visitors to the museum will encounter fifty six specimens belonging to seventeen
different kinds of whale, one specimen taken from a rogue polar bear, thirty-six specimens belonging to seven different kinds of seal and walrus,
and one hundred and fifteen specimens originating from twenty different kinds of land mammal: all in all, a total of two hundred and nine specimens
belonging to forty six different kinds of mammal, including specimens from Homo Sapiens. It should be noted that the museum has also been fortunate
enough to receive legally-certified gift tokens for four specimens belonging to Homo Sapiens. Besides there are some twenty-three folklore
specimens and forty foreign ones. Altogether the collection contains more than 280 specimens from 93 different species of animals.

http://www.phallus.is/
 
Biochemical testing of 13,000-year-old stone tools in Colorado show that some were used to butcher ice-age
horses and camels that roamed North America until their extinction.

While the quality and patterns on several of the artifacts resemble Clovis stonework,
"it was the camel and horse protein results that were the clincher for me," said Bamforth.
"We haven't had camels or horses around here since the late Pleistocene."

The artifacts that showed animal protein residues were each tested three times to ensure accuracy.

The University of Colorado study was the first to identify protein residue from extinct camels on North American
stone tools and only the second to identify horse protein residue on a Clovis-age tool. A third tool tested positive
for sheep and a fourth for bear.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/extinction-176.shtml
 
Back
Top