The Official Author's Hangout 2016 Valentine's Day Contest Support Thread

I was assuming Naoko was pulling our leg with the condoms for married people however. If my partner put on a condom for me, I'd ask, "where have you been, darling? Do tell me all about her. (or him)."
On my blog I want to make using condoms seem normal, so that young people don't feel more embarrassed about asking someone to use a condom than they do having sex with someone. So almost all the stories which feature penetrative sex have condoms written into them. As a side benefit, I've ended up reviewing a lot of stories which are much more inventive about what is sexually enjoyable and showcasing lots of variety for young people to consider.
:)

Personally, having had two miscarriages owing to my former partner insisting condoms were too tight, uncomfortable, refusing to allow me to go on the pill, or have a coil fitted etc etc, I would gladly have learnt to roll one on with my mouth if I had thought that might help the poor screwed-up fish get into one.

That's quite an invasive method, but can show great commitment.
A sister's husband had a vasectomy after their firstborn. Another sister's second pregnancy was ectopic and necessitated a hysterectomy. Neither was concerned about further pregnancies after a son was born. (I rather enjoy those nephews.) Numerous people are infertile for various reasons. Their condom use would only be for disease control.

I love the title.
As I read more source material on the real botanists I see that much more explicit sequels are called for, in categories kinkier than Romance. Condoms will be sparse or absent; I am not sure if pregnancies will result. I know the botanists will remain childless.

Personally, having had two miscarriages owing to my former partner ..., refusing to allow me to go on the pill, or have a coil fitted etc etc....

This is unrelated to the original: this right here. I've been there with miscarriages and worse but it was my own damn fault or biological wars (contraceptives vs antibiotics).

But why would a partner do this? This in itself is an issue worthy of your blog. Young women should not allow a partner to have this kind of power over their reproduction. The decision to conceive or not conceive is a joint one, I see that. But when I hear about this (refusing to allow...) my blood boils.

Last edited:
Personally, having had two miscarriages owing to my former partner ... refusing to allow me to go on the pill, or have a coil fitted etc etc,

But why would a partner do this? This in itself is an issue worthy of your blog. Young women should not allow a partner to have this kind of power over their reproduction. The decision to conceive or not conceive is a join one, I see that. But when I hear about this (refusing to allow...) my blood boils.

An excellent point!

Last edited:
But why would a partner do this? This in itself is an issue worthy of your blog. Young women should not allow a partner to have this kind of power over their reproduction. The decision to conceive or not conceive is a joint one, I see that. But when I hear about this (refusing to allow...) my blood boils.

An excellent point!

Yes indeed!

In a friendly way, might I suggest we move this discussion to a new thread, or a new old thread? It is off topic, but worth continuing.

Unless something just pops in my head fully-formed and rolls out of the keyboard without a hitch, I'm skipping this one.

I'm working on my Earth Day story, in hopes of getting the damned thing out before Earth Day this year.

Unless something just pops in my head fully-formed and rolls out of the keyboard without a hitch, I'm skipping this one.

I'm working on my Earth Day story, in hopes of getting the damned thing out before Earth Day this year.

Then you have a real problem.

There is NO Earth Day Contest in 2016. It has been replaced by the April Fool's Contest.

I have a folder of part completed Earth Day stories. I'll either have to rewrite them significantly, or scrap them.

Lit of 2016 Contests (From Welcome Authors Please Read sticky):

Valentine's Day
themes: romantic love, Valentine's Day, Cupid, sensuality, etc.
starts: January 20
closes: February 5
winners announced: February 12

April Fool's (April 01)
themes: Stories (humorous or otherwise) of surprise meetings, humor, tricks, trick endings, and other themes of deception, chance, and/or misunderstandings (happy or otherwise)
starts: March 01
closes: March 20
winners announced: March 27

National Nude Day (July 14)
themes: public nudity, exhibitionism, etc.
starts: June 20
closes: July 11
winners announced: July 18

Summer Lovin'
themes: warm weather, summer activities, bikinis, etc.
starts: August 21
closes: September 6
winners announced: September 13

Halloween
themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.
starts: October 1
closes: October 22
winners announced: October 29

Winter Holidays
themes: winter holiday traditions (dreidels, gift giving, etc.), cold weather (snow), holiday mythology (Santa, elves), etc.
starts: November 10
closes: December 7
winners announced: December 14

Last edited:
I have two stories that could possibly become entrants for Valentine's. That's a bit greedy and a lot of work, so only one might make it.

The first idea deals with 'issues' and needs sensitive handling. The other is experimental and contains no other sex than mystically induced orgasms (I have no idea which category that would go in). Perhaps I'll shelve them and write something easier.

Not having a contest for it doesn't matter. I enjoy the stories and the theme, even if it seems to take me bloody forever to wring one of them out of me.

It's been challenging so far.

I start writing one thing, then suddenly I feel like writing something else. I've got a couple stories started so far at the beginnings.

I start writing one thing, then suddenly I feel like writing something else. I've got a couple stories started so far at the beginnings.

I'm writing everything and everything except Valentine's Day stories.:(

I'm writing everything and everything except Valentine's Day stories.:(

I've got a couple started but I just can't get in the mood for Valentines.

And like you, I have a dozen different stories vying for my attention. None that relate in the least to the contest. :rolleyes:

This one's challenging me too, but for different reasons. I have most of the three main scenes done, more of an outline than I usually have (any outline is more than usual), the intro works, but I feel like it is a huge effort to connect it all.
I am hopeful though that the final product will be a good one, sexy, teasing, and a satisfying read. I'm just thankful for the extra time between contests on this one. I need it.

The only bunny that keeps hitting me is one of those depressing most of the way through, but light at the end of the tunnel types.

Not that I haven't done a few of those, but I tend to be a method writer who falls into the mood of the story until its done and I don't feel like being depressed right about now.

Maybe something fun will come along, if not I may take a seat for this one.

I never heard the term "method writer" before, but it makes a lot of sense. I am like that too. Good luck in the new year.

Finished one draft yesterday. :)

Got started on a second one today, struggled to get through maybe three Word pages...and then got a brilliant idea for an April Fool's story, for which I now have an outline. Could be worse.

I have a question about entries in this, and potentially future contests. I have an idea for a pair of stories that re two halves of one story. Essentially a young couple with romantic V-Day plans are unable to get together for them due to weather and each end up fulfilling a long held fantasy/kink with another person.

I was planning to do the wife's story and the husband's story as two submissions. That said, I'm not sure that isn't too close to the "no stories with multiple chapters" rule that's a part of the contests. Before I write them both up, I figure I should have a clear idea of what I can do with them.

Any thoughts? Thank you all!

I have a question about entries in this, and potentially future contests. I have an idea for a pair of stories that re two halves of one story. Essentially a young couple with romantic V-Day plans are unable to get together for them due to weather and each end up fulfilling a long held fantasy/kink with another person.

I was planning to do the wife's story and the husband's story as two submissions. That said, I'm not sure that isn't too close to the "no stories with multiple chapters" rule that's a part of the contests. Before I write them both up, I figure I should have a clear idea of what I can do with them.

Any thoughts? Thank you all!

This is one of the usual rules for the themed contest:

All submissions must be stand-alone stories created for this contest theme. We will not accept individual chapters of a larger work submitted separately. If you have a multi-chaptered contest-themed submission, please submit all chapters together as one story submission.

IF the stories stand alone i.e. can be read in any order or only one can be read without knowledge of the other, then you might get away with TWO separate stories. But if one FOLLOWS the other, then I think you would have to submit them as a single complete story.

But my opinion doesn't really matter. Even if both stories are accepted, then if the readers think you are bending the rule, you could get low votes.

Sounds like two separate stories that have a link to me.

The chapter rule was created because the contests were being overwhelmed by stories broken up into chapters, with each chapter submitted as an entry. None of those individual chapters could stand on their own. They needed the context of preceding and following chapters to be a coherent and complete story.

If both stories can be read without needing the context of the other to understand them, have a beginning, middle, and end, then you should be fine.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to PM Laurel, though.

I have characters and setting, the start to a story and a sketch of the plot. Now I need to figure out how to pace all of that into something that people might want to read. And I should make it meaningful to someone other than myself, otherwise what's the point?

Then there's the animalistic violence aspect, which seems odd in a Valentine's Day story. It's all so complicated!

I suppose I should get moving on this, but it feels like I have SO MUCH TIME! :D

Back