A Looking in View -- (closed)

The_gladiator

Avatar of Fantasy
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Posts
24,484
A looking in view

Tuesday August 7th, 2035
Two strong long fingered hands cupped around hers. Hands that were skilled whether it be operating on a patient or playing his guitar, so much larger than hers. She was such a strong personality and had such a beautiful inner soul that sometimes he forgot how much physically smaller than him she really was. The world already felt so much dimmer without those vibrant eyes meeting his. Her hand felt colder than it should, inanimate. He had always loved her hands, it was one of his favorite features, watching her do things with them was poetry in motion. He’d give anything for her to just squeeze his hand back now.

He focused on the sweep of his thumb across her knuckles, slowly—back and forth. This simple caress had become his touchstone. Touching her grounded him in this moment, just as it always had, from the first time she had laid her fingertips against his skin all those years ago.

The gentle stroking of his fingertips gave him a focus, kept the thoughts, the fears at bay. It kept his mind on the here and now rather than lost in fears about what would come now, what the future would be for her, would she have a future.

The surgeon in him said that she would live; he could catalogue her injuries and even quote recovery times and suggested rehabilitation methods. However that was the logical part of his brain, the part that usually took over during a crisis. It was the part of his mind that helped him thrive in his profession. However that hard won control had seemingly deserted him and the demons of fear and doubt had taken over. Thus the simple touch, the deep breathing, the focusing of his mind on this one simple action—touching her—would sustain him until he regained his composure.

“What happened dad.” The voice startled Mark out of his reverie and red rimmed eyes lifted to meet the green eyed gaze of their daughter Emily. Eyes that were so similar to her mother’s. The med student showed remarkable poise for her age, though her eyes were just as red as her father’s. “I mean I heard there was an accident, but no one gave me details.”

Mark cleared his throat, “Where’s Cal?” he asked, his mind picking and focusing on something that wasn’t the accident, the fact that his daughter did not have her younger brother with her.” His brow creased; shouldn’t he know where his son was? However, that had always been his wife, Samantha’s gift not his. His schedule was so erratic that sometimes he was lucky to know what day it was.

Emily’s brow creased with her own frown probably about to give some sort of scathing comeback rebuking her father for not knowing where her brother was, before she took a deep breath blowing it out on a long suffering sigh. “I drove him down to Miami University in Oxford Ohio, dad, you remember, right, I got back 2 days ago, on Sunday?”

“Oh…yes.” Mark responded slowly until the reason for why she would have driven her 18-year-old brother the 5 hours from Cleveland to Oxford came back to him. “This is the week he’s visiting the university,” he said his voice growing with confidence as he remembered, “He’s staying with Michael.”

“Yep he’s with Uncle Mike,” Emily said trying not to sound impatient, “So, what happened?” she repeated more insistently this time.

“He’s visiting now; because if he does early decision, come November he will know if he’s admitted for next year a whole two months before everyone that doesn’t do that.” Mark seemed to be finishing his thoughts about his son and the university, to remind himself where and when he was. It might still be a deflection from the reality that would come crashing in when he told Emily what he knew.

“Yes and if he is accepted with early decision he’s obligated to go there, I know all that.” It was clear that his daughter was growing impatient. “I also know that I’m almost a second year med student at Stanford also.” She added a bit dryly.

Mark cleared his throat, letting Emily’s snarky response go, “As far as I can piece together she was driving on I90 up near Deadman’s curve. I think she was going to look at a job they wanted her to consult on; some sort of private gallery having a show or some such, you know art stuff.” He waved his hand dismissally as unimportant for the moment. “Someone headed into the curve too fast and rear-ended her.” It was more common for such accidents to happen in the Ohio winters, but at any time of year the curve was dangerous, there were just some people who did not read the signs and took the near 90 degree turn in the interstate at highway speeds, and accidents happened. “They brought her here to the clinic and called me.” Mark ran a tired hand through his hair which at 52 was still as dark as it ever had been, a rich chocolate brown. “I of course got off shift 2 hours ago; I worked the night shift last night, and had just gotten to sleep when the call came in.” It felt weird for Mark to be in his own hospital and not be working. It was a quite sobering experience being in the place of the loved ones who usually accompanied his patients.

Mark continued on, explaining to Emily some of her mother’s injuries and why the staff had felt it necessary to put her in a medically induced coma for the time being. They made small talk for hours, by consensus unwilling to leave Megan’s side. Sometime later Emily said she needed to get something to eat, promising to bring Mark a sandwich. Mark knew he should go with her, but just couldn’t bring himself to leave his wife’s side. He lifted her hand to his lips, brushing a tender kiss over her palm.

Alone again, Mark began to reflect backwards this time, remembering another accident that Sam had been in. She hadn’t been the driver, and if he remembered correctly she hadn’t been hurt that badly, but, it had brought them back together after their previous casual encounters around town and one failed date, or was it a one night stand? Time had dulled the memories a bit. Mark had decided that seeing her again randomly in a town of this many people was no accident and had asked her out again then and there, even as he waited for the x-rays to come back on her friend’s broken arm. In between lecturing them about how to drive in snow and ice he had gotten her to say yes. That wasn’t where it started though…this was.

++++++++++++++++
Thursday October 22nd 2009
Mark had never really been fond of working out, but with high school, college and even med school behind him and now on to his residency with the Cleveland Clinic, Intermural athletics was no longer an option, this meant, the gym. He knew it was for his own good he just couldn’t find it in him to truly enjoy it. He had enjoyed sports, even fun half serious ones like broom ball back at Miami. Somehow running on a treadmill or swimming laps just wasn’t the same. Especially when he went with Dave. The guy honestly never shut up, hit on anything that was female, human and with a pulse, and was overly fond of himself. Mark idly wondered if he could lift as much as Dave if he’d be full of himself too, as he spotted for him. What was he going to do if Dave lost control of the bar while bench pressing. Most likely try to catch it and watch it slam down on the meat head anyway. Nevertheless here he was. At least if he was spotting for Dave he was getting a break from his own lifting. He supposed that working out with Dave beat working out alone, but honestly, not by very much.

“Lookin good in them shorts!” Dave called evidently having spotted a woman on the yoga mats across the room. Slapping the bar back into its cradle Dave rolled to his feet and sauntered over towards the woman, who true to Dave’s word, had her attractive ass on display in a classic downward facing dog pose. “Flexible, I like it…” He added. “Would recognize those legs from a mile away.”

“You’re kidding me, right?” Mark muttered under his breath. There was no way that Dave had recognized the ass of the woman from across the room, but even as he thought that the woman addressed Dave like they did know one another. What was with this guy? Dave was living proof that nice guys finished last, because ass holes finished first.

Mark let his eyes examine the woman, who did indeed have a fine ass, but more over her compact form was stacked with curves in all the right places, with hair that would be long if it weren’t up and sharp green eyes. All of that sitting atop long legs for her height. Fortunately he was fairly confident she would not notice his checking her out because she was busy trading insults disguised as pleasantries with Dave.

Suddenly hearing his name Mark focused in on what they were actually saying, “And this is my buddy Mark. Mark, this is Samantha.”

Mark took a long step forward and extended his hand to her, just like his parents always taught him. “A pleasure to meet you.” He said taking her small hand into his own for a handshake. Before politely stepping back to fade into the background again as Dave picked up right where he’d left off prior to introducing Mark. It was clear to Mark that Samantha was having none of Dave’s “charms” and he offered her a slightly sympathetic smile that said he was sorry his friend was an ass.
 
Date: 7th August 2035

“The order should be: Pacheco, Caravaggio, Rubens, van Dyke and then Dolci.” She sighed, striding along the far wall of the refurbished exhibition space. “C’mon girls, this is basic.” She stopped at the small Anthony van Dyke self-portrait; the Flemish artist’s face smirking back at her. Without a second though she gently grasped the near priceless seventeenth century oil painting and lifted it off the wall, causing the two curators to gasp. “Go and call the hanging guys back in and we’ll fix the order.”

“Ma’am!” Exclaimed one of the young hangers who had appeared within moments, “You can’t touch that!”

“Ease off, Sanchez.” Chimed an older man sauntering in behind him. “That’s the Chief you’re talking to.”

“Hi Yomi.” She smiled, pushing thick rimmed Ray-Bans into her short blonde hair before shaking the man’s hand. “Family well?” The two went way back; Yomi had been hanging paintings for her when she arrived in the city for the first time over twenty years ago.

“Oh, yes, Sam. Going to be a Grandpa again in the Fall.” She congratulated him, genuinely happy for the man. “And yours’?”

“Emily is home from San Francisco for a visit; seems to be coping with Med School and Calum, well, he’s visiting Oxford to have a look around Miami. I don’t want him to rush any decisions though.”

“Smart kids, like their parents.”

“One parent, I just tell people where to hang paintings.” She joked modestly. Truth was, Doctor Samantha Knight was a clever woman; her expertise seeing her rise up the ranks of a few world renowned galleries, including Cleveland’s Museum of Art where she had assumed the role of Chief Curator. ”I’m sorry, Yomi, but I have a meeting across town, so I need to run. It was lovey to see you.”

“Malena, Findlay.” She beckoned to the two younger women. “You’re both doing a great job.” She said in earnest, walking to the lobby. “Don’t let the small things trip us up now we are so close completing this, Ok? I wasn’t lying when I said if this renovation is a roaring success I may end on a high and retire.” Well, forty-nine was probably a bit young, but one could dream.

It was a near perfect early summers day; sunny and warm complemented by a cooling breeze. The weather always lifted Sam’s spirits; evidently as she hummed quietly along to the song on the radio when the Lexus revved up. Despite the 2-seater’s horsepower she never fooled around on the roads. An accident in her early twenties which left her with several broken bones and scars to match had taught her as much.

She told the car’s system where she wanted to go, and it rhymed several route options back to her. “I need the fastest route.” She answered in her Anglo-American accent and settled into the journey.

The battered Mustang flew around the ninety degree bend at such a pace that it had collided with Doctor Knight’s car before she had time to react. The driver swerved last minute, but that only made things worse, spinning the Lexus into oncoming traffic. Her pretty face furrowed, Sam tried to steer the opposite way from where she was being forced, but it was futile. Not again, she thought as the driver’s side was hit by a Landrover coming in the opposite direction and although that driver was at least traveling to suit the angle of the road it was a forceful enough hit for that to be the last thing the mother of two would remember. Apparently, the Lexus rolled once, twice, into the rock face which provided a natural road barrier before the car came to a halt.

Date: 22nd October 2009

Her feet, clad in a pair of Brooks Adrenaline trainers struck the cushioned surface of the treadmill at a pace that pushed, Samantha to her absolute limit. One kilometer of this and then a two minute jog. Over and over and over. The young woman had a firm target in mind, one which she was exactly 2 miles away from meeting. Music was blasting through her headphones, but 6 miles in to such a tough work out she hardly noticed. Sam hardly noticed anything, she was completely in the zone, oblivious to her battering the exercise machine was taking, the sweat causing her toned arms to glisten and her 2007 Edinburgh Marathon t-shirt to dampen quite dramatically.

Running was when, Sam could forget the stress of the day; currently the blonde was attempting to balance her PhD and hold down an Assistant Curator job at Cleveland’s Museum of Art. To be fair, she was doing far more than attempting. Samantha was enjoying herself; new country, new city, new job, researching. She loved it. It was just quite a lot to take in.

Edinburgh University, back in her native Scotland had set up a partnership with the Cleveland’s Museum of Art, where by PhD candidates researching a topic which complemented the galleries collection could obtain work experience. The gallery got cheap labor and people like Sam gained valuable skills and more importantly the opportunity to work abroad.

"Thank God." She muttered to herself as the treadmill indicated the brunette had hit 15km, and in an hour in ten minutes. Once the nausea was passed she'd be pleased with herself. Slowing to a steady jog, she look a long drink of water and wiped her face with the back of her hand.

The treadmill beeped to a halt and, Sam, rather stiffly, stepped down and made her way over the soft matted area to stretch off. Following 15 minutes of several compromising poses, the young woman was feeling fully human again whilst finishing off in a downward-facing-dog pose when she was startled by a leering voice, "Flexible. I like it."

"Oh. Erm. Hi Dave.” She replied uncomfortably, maneuvering herself out of the position as quickly as she could. She’d only been in the city four weeks and already made the mistake of letting a gym rat buy her a drink. She used to think the whole Jock depiction in American films was an exaggeration, but no, she’s managed to snag a date with one almost immediately.

“When you free for round two, Sam? I see you in here all the time, so the gym doesn’t count.” He winked.

“There was never a round one, Dave. I gotta go.” She said, gathered up her belongings.

"Sorry, my manners.” He continued, ignoring her discomfort, “This is my buddy Mark, he works at the hospital too. Sam’s over from Ireland-“

“Scotland.”

“Yeah, there. Working at that fancy gallery, you know the one near University Circle?”

She shook the doctor’s outstretched hand, appreciating the strong grip. "Nice to meet you.” She smiled, not a real one though; a tight, polite, whatever gets me out of here fastest smile. And with that she walked off, annoyed that her good workout had had to end on yet another one of Dave’s attempts.

Once she was out of ear shot, Dave turned to his new friend and in an effort to impress said, "Don't let the frosty exterior fool you; had her screaming last week."

Making her way out of the gym, Sam slipped a baggy sweater on over her Lycra top and threw her Dad's old leather sports bag over her shoulder. Swiping her card on the exit gate the shapely brunette started on the 20 minute walk home, but not before nipping in to the grocery store on the corner to pick up something for her dinner. She paid the cashier a few dollars for the bread and eggs before exiting the store, only to literally bump into the tall, admittedly handsome man who had burst in off the street.

“Sorry!” She exclaimed, her Scottish accent evident as she was aware of strong hands of her arms for a brief moment. Sam was about to leave the scene when she heard her name. Turning back she looked at the man, recognition spreading across her pretty face. “Mark, right?” The look of friendly recognition shifting to one of uncertainty; it didn’t take a wild imagination to guess the conversation between Dave and his friend when Sam left.
 
Tuesday August 7th, 2035
Mark found himself drawn out of his musings by the sound of footsteps. Hazel eyes lifted from where his hands were twined with Sam’s. As expected it was Emily returning. She bore a tray that judging by the aromas drifting up from it bore some sort of dinner. “Steal that from the cafeteria?” Mark asked curiously.

Emily let her lips curve in a slight smile, “Apparently Tina the cook likes you. She told me to bring it up. Is there something I should tell mom when she wakes?” The comment made Mark chuckle.

“Nothing she doesn’t already know. Your father believe it or not is good at making friends.” She just nodded and handed the tray over giving him a slight smirk. Mark uncovered meatloaf and mashed potatoes. “Mmm, one of the better meals here.” He commented.

The usually comfortable humor between the two of them felt strained. Noticing this Mark decided to focus on his eating instead. A silence formed between them that was somewhere between comfortable and strained.

Finally Emily spoke, “Must be strange for you in the hospital and not working.” Her green eyes filled with emotion.

“Isn’t that the truth,” He responded reaching over to grab his water taking a long drink, pausing in his eating.

“Isn’t this how you met? Her in an accident?” Emily inquired, already knowing the answer but trying to get her father talking.

“Yes, hoped she would never go through it again. She was lucky that first time…” He trailed off. “Not saying she wasn’t lucky this time, it could have killed her.” Mark and Sam often told everyone that the accident was when they had started dating. It was when they had started going steady, so wasn’t technically a lie. It was just easier than explaining how they had met 6 months previously but hadn’t been ready for a relationship at the time. Sam had just come over from Scotland and hadn’t wanted to commit that soon. The time had just not been right for them then…even so that first date had been electric, their chemistry clear. There were some memories he would never forget.

+++++++++++++++++++

Thursday October 22nd, 2009

After Samantha left Mark was forced to listen to Dave prattle on about her, and the supposed wild sex they had had together. He seriously doubted the veracity of 95% of Dave’s story. Nevertheless he listened and said uh huh in all the right places. Though, if what he said was true, well, Mark was more than a little bit jealous. She had certainly been his type. Though he wasn’t sure he’d be interested in anyone who actually slept with Dave. Just the thought made his skin crawl.

It was some time later when Mark pulled up into the small grocery store in his SUV. He wasn’t a huge fan of the car, but it would due. He missed his Jeep, but the escape that his parents had given him would do. He figured he would grab a sandwich from the store and head home. After an early morning shift, and then a workout, He did not feel like cooking. This place had good deli sandwiches, which were fast and simple.

Bursting through the door he about knocked someone over, his strong hands coming up closing over someone’s upper arms steadying her. “Wo there.” He said. As he went to simply brush past the woman after apologizing he did a double take. “Samantha?” he half stated, half asked, surprised to see the pretty woman from the Gym that Dave had just been bragging about. A dozen fantasies flitted through his head in a split second. He hoped she couldn’t read his thoughts in his eyes before he schooled his face. “Wanted to apologize for Dave.” He offered stepping closer to her. “I’d say he doesn’t mean to be an ass, but I’m pretty sure he does.” He shrugged. “You seem too good for someone like him.”

Mark stepped out of the doorway to allow others to enter the store, unconsciously guiding Samantha out of the paths of other patrons. Mark knew he was talking a lot here, but he wanted to get this all out before she walked away. "So despite our ill timed meeting. I'd really like to get to know you better. You said you were from Scotland? I've always loved learning about other cultures. The Scottish have one of the coolest accents." His mind was screaming at him to stop talking, but he soldiered on, though it was clear he was running out of steam, "So yeah, if you'd like to get dinner some time and talk more I'd like that. Then again if I'm guilty by association, you know because I'm friends with Dave, I'll understand also."
 
Last edited:
Thursday October 22nd, 2009

When the handsome Doctor mentioned Dave, Sam felt her high cheek bones redden. “Erm, look, don’t worry about it.” She brushed off, slender fingers self-consciously fiddling with the leather strap of her gym bag. “I, eh, I shouldn’t have even gone there. Not that I did go there.” Oh God, what was wrong with her? She found her feet, taking a deep breath and thanked Mark. “He’s not too bad.” She lied, on since being in the grocery store she’d decided to join a new gym.

Her green eyes flited to his, surprised to see and hear that he had ended up as tongue tied as her. She smiled; a genuine smile rather than that she’d given in the gym minutes before. When he asked her to dinner it came as quite the surprise and she faltered; look how the last date she’d gone on with a Doctor from the gym had turned out. However, Mark seemed different, more genuine and concerned for her feelings. Of course, he could easily be another gym rat masquerading as a decent guy.

Screw it, what did she have to loss? Worst came to the worst, she went for dinner, it would take an hour, two tops and she could leave. Best case, they’d have some fun.

“Mark. Mark.” She repeated, trying to save him from himself as he went on. “I’d like to get some dinner with you.” She surprised herself with how easily she accepted, even more surprised when as she placed a hand on his forearm, unable to help feeling the muscles beneath his clothes, to reinforce the message; retracting her fingers quickly, green eyes flitting from his face to the store’s surrounds. “Erm next weekend? I have a thing on Friday, but free Saturday?”

They agreed on Saturday and she gave him her number. “Take me some interesting.” She challenged. “Failing that, somewhere with good cocktails.” With that she gifted him with another smile which displayed her perfect teeth and lit up her face. “Bye.”

They exchanged a couple of brief texts which involved Mark checking the young woman liked Vietnamese food and he informed her of an address. Serendipitously, the restaurant was on the Gordon Street Arts District, the neighborhood in which Sam rented a room. The apartment was a good set up; the three girls were similar in ages and although the expat hadn’t been in the city long the trio had bonded quite quickly.

“Shit!” She exclaimed, noticing the time on her laptop. With the exception of a quick jog, the young woman had spent the chilly day indoors, sitting at the kitchen table. Although thoroughly enjoying her job, it left little time to do her PhD, so the weekend seemed to be reserved for researching. She had to have a draft plan and detailed hypothesis written by the end of November; at the rate she was going she’d be manage. Just.

Hastily, she pourer herself a drink, she may be late, but there was always time for a drink- typical Scot and started to get ready. Realistically, there wasn’t much need to rush; Sam was naturally pretty; slim, the lightly patterned vintage dress shed donned pinching at her narrow waist and sat a couple of inches above tight clad slender legs. Her long blonde hair hung in waves around her striking face, its features highlighted with the subtle application of light make up.

“Check you out!” Her flat mate, Eliza teased as Sam stepped out of her bedroom and into the hall to shrug on her duffle coat. “You’ve made an effort.”

“Shut up. I dress like this to work.”

“Options always open?” She grinned, red cheeks bunching around the girls face. “Have fun and let me know if you get the axe murderer vibe and I’ll come save you. You’re going to Saigon, right?”

“Yes. Night!” Sam shouted up the cast iron stairs as she descended them before being spat into the darkening night.

Listening to her iPod as she walked the 15 minutes the young woman took a few steadying breaths. She wasn’t nervous as such, but a first date was a first date, they were daunting. Sitting across from someone for hours; what if they had nothing in common- oh so you like the gym? Yeah, uh, me too. Silence. Shaking the negatitivy out of her head, the slender figure pushed her way into the cozy restaurant. The nice lighting and aroma of herbs and spices hit her right away, Mark had chosen well.

“Do you have a booking?” The Vietnamese host smiled.

“I don’t, but my, eh, friend does.” The man asked for his name and Sam was suddenly aware she didn’t know her date’s surname. She scanned her surroundings and almost instantly her green eye’s fell on him, sitting at a small table by the far window. She smiled, relieved. At least she hadn’t been stood up. “He’s just over there.”

The man took her coat and Sam made her way over. “Hi.” She smiled again, a little self-conscious all of a sudden. The embraced rather awkwardly before she sat across from the man. “So… Good day?”
 
Thursday October 22, 2009

Mark Felt gentle fingertips brush his forearm encased in the Cleveland Browns Sweatshirt he wore. Her words saving him from the awkward jumble of his own thoughts. He actually flashed dimples when her acceptance drew a grin from him. They settled on a date and time and that was that. She soon left, saving himself from himself before he could prove exactly how awkward he could really be. Mark had no problem going out on a first date on Halloween, it beat getting drunk and hanging around downtown with friends, or rather, being the DD for his drunken friends downtown.

Days later found Mark arguing with his sister Danielle. “You cannot dress up like Dracula for a first date if you didn’t discuss costumes I don’t think you should wear one at all.”

“But I thought vampires are in right now?” he asked.

“Sparkly vampires are in mark, not Vlad the impaler vampires.” She patiently explained.

“Exactly why I’ll never read those books, what the hell kind of vampire sparkles in daylight?”

“You’re missing the point.” Danielle stressed a hint of exasperation in her tone.

“No I got your point. No white face paint, no fake blood, and no cape.” He actually sounded disappointed at that last. Before he could say anything else she threw a pair of khaki pants and a sweater at him she had pulled from his closet. “Why do I let you pick my wardrobe again?” he asked curiously as he obediently tried the clothes on, she still digging in his closet, so not witness to his partial nudity, something that he was sure would have drawn some sort of comment like she was blinded by his hideousness or something. He however had his answer as he looked in the mirror she dragged him in front of. She did have a good eye, and the green sweater with its argyle pattern brought out the green in his hazel eyes. “Alright you win.” He said. She crowed with triumph. It wasn’t like Mark hadn’t bought the sweater on his own, because he had, along with the dress pants, but he had to admit she had picked the right one to make a good impression, better than the black he had pulled out. That had been when she had stepped in and told him he was wearing whatever she picked because this was a first date, not a funeral. He had tried to explain he was going to dress as a vampire, and well the rest was history.

“So, do you know where you are taking her?” His younger sister asked bouncing a little on the edge of his bed.

“You have a lot of questions, and remind me, why are you here again?” He had somehow missed why his younger sister was here at his apartment cleaning house and seemingly micromanaging his upcoming date.

“I thought I told you,” she said in the long suffering tone of a little sister who was used to repeating herself because Mark just didn’t listen to her. Well, he listened but she said so much that he routinely missed things. “Mom and Dad went down to Amish country to buy some last minute fruit and veggies before the weather takes away all the fresh food. You know what Ohio is like, it could snow tomorrow.”

“So, that tells me where mom and Dad are, what about you?”

“I was getting there. I was bored and I know how you live so I thought I would come clean house for you.”

“I live a busy lifestyle you mean?” he inquired raising an eyebrow.

“Messy.” She retorted.

“Busy.” He stressed the word.

“Mark, you live like a bachelor doctor with no time. Yes I get that you are busy, but the laundry pile reached my waist, and I think some of those dishes were growing things.” She shuddered at the memory. Mark just gave her a chagrinned look and sighed,

“Fair enough, you win.”

She clapped her hands and nodded, “I always do, and it was fortunate for you because I learned of your date and just encase you want to invite her back for drinks, she won’t run for the hills.” Mark could only laugh with resignation admitting defeat. Ushering her out of his room he changed and joined her in his kitchen. Complimenting her on the job she had done cleaning the apartment. He asked her again what kind of person cleaned for fun? She promptly responded with the response he had expected from her. “Someone with CDO, it’s like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order as they should be.” He could only roll his eyes and chuckle at her old response to questions about some of her oddities.
“I was thinking of taking her for Barbecue. Famous Dave’s in North Olmstead?” he finally answered one of her earlier questions. This brought on a long discussion of how Mark again had no class and should think outside the box. His favorite restaurant where half the staff knew who he was might not be the way to do that. Maybe a comfortable third or fourth date. This led her to do some research and suggest Saigon. Mark remarked that he’d never tried Vietnamese food and that might not be a bad idea. Some text messages later and the date was all set up.

Saturday October 31, 2009. Halloween

The afternoon of the date saw Mark before that same mirror styling his hair. There were few days that he didn’t comb the hair, though this time he took extra time to make sure it looked nice. It was dark, chocolate in color. He had teased Danielle that he was surprised she wasn’t there dressing him for his date. She had responded that she was busy dressing up for her own party, informing him that she was going as Lady Dracula and yes, that she had “borrowed” his cape.

Finally satisfied that he looked presentable Mark drove to the restaurant. He did not wait long before Sam came through the door. In that instant he was glad that his sister had made him dress up, and that he had forgone the costume though some of the other patrons were in costume Sam was not. They exchanged a brief hug before they both sat. Mark wanted to tell her he was glad she came but ruled that out as sounding too desperate.

“My sister recommended this place.” He decided to start off with something safe, the restaurant. “I was informed that I don’t think outside the box enough.” This lead into a conversation about siblings, Mark admitting to being the middle child, with an older and younger sister. Dana and Danielle. “No, I’m not the milkman’s child, even though they claim I am with the only name that doesn’t match.” This lead to his explaining that his last name was Knight, with the initials Mak, “But don’t worry, no one has called me that since I played broom ball in college.” Mark then asked her about her family and what it was like to come to a brand new country. Meanwhile they ordered drinks with Mark ordering iced tea.

Mark finally turned his attention to his menu and after a moment looked back up at Samantha, “What do you think you’ll get?” he inquired. Mark found Samantha easy to talk to and he was glad he had asked her out.
 
Saturday October 31st 2009

There would be nothing worse than sitting across from some egotistical asshole for two hours. However, Sam quickly realised she had nothing to worry about in that respect. Mark was easy to talk to, interesting and she found his slight awkwardness endearing. “Your sister has good taste. I love Vietnamese food.” She smiled. Sam had been traveling in South East Asia twice, however stating that as an opener might come across a bit showy.

She noticed, Mark’s ice tea. “Are you on call or…” Gesturing to his non-alcoholic drink. Regardless, the Scot ordered a beer and the two fell into easy conversation, swapping anecdotes about their personal lives. “I’ve got an older brother and we have a cousin who’s my age. The three of us are super closer. We made quite the wee trio when we were kids; even now actually.” She smiled to herself, “I think they’ll visit me in a few months and I imagine it’ll be a bit of a riot.”

“I’m from quite a small family; just my brother, myself and my Mother. We’re not overly close with extended family either- just grandparents, my cousin and his folks. It’s a nice little unit. I have friends who have so many cousins, aunties and the like- they are always tied up with family stuff. Don’t know where they get the time. How about you? Big family?”

She continued to asked Mark what his family was like. Was he close with his sisters? “I bet you were spoiled, being the only boy and all.” She teased.

“Moving here has been great, bit different to back home but there would be no point in coming over if it was the same, right?” She asked rhetorically, taking a drink of her beer. “Lovely city, its got a good vibe, friendly people, all that, but It’s quite hard, juggling the whole settling in, starting a new job and my research.” She was prompted to divulge what her PhD was on. She hesitated, taking another drink. “Well… it’s, it’s not finalised.” She felt a bit self conscious to admit, especially in front of an actual Doctor. Typically a PhD is a burning question one is excited to spend the next three years of their life answering. However, most of the Western world was still in the midst of a financial crash and a lot of finding was being sucked from the arts. The lack of job prospects, the fact the young woman still didn’t know what she wanted to be when she grew up and the prospect of living internationally had fuelled her PhD application. “It looks at the best way to curate Dutch Golden Age paintings and how we can use technology increase the viewers’ engagement with the works. Still working on a few details.” She shrugged and picked up the menu.

“We could get a few things and share? That way you get to try different things?” She leaned closer to Mark so she could point out some recommendations. “Pho is amazing- it’s like a really intense broth with noodles and whatever meat you’d like. Banana flower or green papaya salad is a must.” They continued to consult the menu and finally settled on their choice of dinner and ordered.

Whilst they waited on their food the blonde quizzed Mark on what it was like to be a Doctor, she imagined trauma was a really fast paced, exciting place to work. “I doubt it’s like Grey’s Anatomy though.” She commented, flashing a friendly smile.

Samantha’s attention was diverted to a group who had entered the restaurant, all dressed in various costumes. They’d obviously already been to the bar; rowdy, laughing and jostling. The blonde looked back at her date, green eyes glinting in bemusement, “You guys.” She referred to American’s, “Really go in for the whole Halloween thing, don’t you?”
 
Mark found her manner of speaking lovely. He had always been an audiophile and voices were one of the things he was most attracted to in a woman. He decided he could listen to her all day. When she asked him about his drink choice he chuckled responding that he had decided to give up one vice a month to cut back on caloric intake. This month he had chosen to give up beer in order to eat Halloween candy, which had been a favorite of his since a child. Mark was by no means overweight or even remotely out of shape, but as a doctor it made sense that he showed himself to be health conscious. This drew them off on a tangent where he discussed Halloween and the various costumes he had worn over the years.

“I was a bat as a child, my mother actually cut up an umbrella to make wings, so when I lifted my arms it would look like the bones that make up a wing.” It was clear that they could share enough of a connection to be able to switch topics fluidly rather than awkwardly answering one question than another. It felt more like a true conversation than an interrogation.

“My family has always been into Halloween,” he explained after her question about Americans and Halloween. “Danielle, that’s the younger sister told me I couldn’t come to our date dressed as Dracula. It turns out that she only told me that so she could steal my cape and face paint, traitor,” he joked. However this allowed him to circle back to his own family.

Mark explained that he just had the two sisters. He explained that he was closest in age to Dana who was the oldest however it became clear through the conversation that he was closer with Danielle the younger one. Mark gave the impression that he and his older sister had been close when young, hated one another as teens and now had settled into a comfortable sort of relationship. “I don’t see her too often anymore, she’s married and has two children now, and our schedules just don’t mesh well.” His older sister was a professor down at Akron University, and Danielle was studying hospitality management as well as culinary arts. “She either wants to run a fancy kitchen in a resort or own the resort, so I guess she’s covering all of her bases.” He explained. “Not sure our parents were so happy that she didn’t want to pursue a higher Ed degree like Dana and I, but no one can deny she has goals and has always blazed her own path. She can’t follow in our footsteps forever.” It was becoming evident that talking about his family was helping mark relax. He appeared much less awkward as he relaxed into their conversation. However, it wasn’t the put upon collectiveness he drew around him when he worked; it was the relaxation that hinted of how he might be around family and friends. “I have a large extended family, but I don’t want to scare you away too soon,” he teased.
He agreeably leaned in to discuss the menu with her. He found himself drawn in by her light perfume. It wasn’t in your face, and he had only smelled it when they hugged and now that he was leaning closer. They decided on some of the Pho she suggested as well as a stir fry in addition to a couple of other dishes.

Almost reluctantly leaning back away from her after they ordered he took a long sip of his drink before circling back to her question about his career. He had admitted earlier that her work sounded interesting, though he made no claims to truly understand what she spoke about. That was alright, he was of course willing to learn, and listening had never been a problem for him. “Trauma can be quite intense. Always something different. I find myself learning more and more about self-care and how to distance myself from it when I’m not working. I’ve got some co-workers on the counseling side of things that have been seriously helpful in that area. It’s important for me to have activities outside of work, and even friends that are outside of work to unwind.” He explained that it was ok to have doctor friends to talk shop with sometimes but was equally important for him to do something completely different like listen to or play music. “Heck after a few beers I’ve even been known to sing karaoke.” He said with a chuckle, “Though I am more comfortable performing when I have an instrument to hide behind, my guitar, Danielle’s piano, etc.” He proved to be a tad of a hand talker, strumming a guitar and playing keys as he spoke. One of the times he gestured his hand came to rest over hers. It was clearly an accident, but mark didn’t pull away and even let his thumb almost absently stroke feather light over her skin as he spoke.

“As to Grey’s Anatomy I have never seen the show. I see enough hospitals in real life that I had to ask myself why would I want to watch one on TV?” he said his smile taking any snark out of his words making it come across as funny rather than biting. “Nope, the only “Doctor” Show I watch,” here he made quote marks around the word doctor “Is the Big Bang theory. So glad Season 3 started a couple months ago. Funny story about that. Season one was running and one of my buddies in radiology told me I should watch this new show about two doctors who were roommates.” I laughed him out of town and said why would I want to watch that? I was flipping through channels one day and it happened to be on, man was I surprised. Doctors they may be but definitely not what I was initially thinking the show was about. I’ve watched it ever since.” He grinned at his own misunderstanding of the show.

Hazel eyes again went back to hers after watching some more costumed drunks wander into the room, “I’ve rambled quite a bit, what do you enjoy doing for fun? Surely you must do more than study and awkwardly fend off Dave’s advances at the Gym, right? I want to hear all about it,” His eyes twinkled as he teased her just a little. “You ever need me to kick his ass I’ll…” here he paused, “Well I’ll have to hire like 3 guys to help because the dude is jacked, but we’ll defend your honor for you.” Here he gave her hand a little squeeze and as if noticing that he had been touching her without permission pulled his hand away to take another drink of Tea. He made a face and promptly stole her beer and took a drink. “Yep, much better.” He said with a wink, clearly using humor to conceal the slight return of his shyness.
 
“If you had rocked up here in a full Dracula get up there’s a chance I may have feigned an emergency and left.” She teased, “So again, Danielle comes up trumps.”

“Seriously though, back home kids go ‘trick or treating’ and students go to parties, but it’s like a proper celebration here, like Christmas or something. Someone at my work showed me how they had decorated their house and, oh my God! It’s insane.” She exclaimed, a bemused smile touching her green eyes. “So I guess,” Sam continued, “I should be flattered that you agreed to go for dinner with me instead of sitting at home of celebrating Halloween, even if it is just sitting your cape eating sweets.” A hint of flirtation as she raised a neat eyebrow in the Doctor’s direction.


They swapped more anecdotes about their families, Sam telling Mark about her Mother. “Growing up, we were so different. She’s this, well at work anyway, really tough power woman. Knows, always knows, what she wants, doesn’t take any shit from anyone. And I was this shy, geeky, quiet girl who just kind of went along with, well, look at me, I’m twenty three and still not sure what to do with myself.” The blonde girl didn’t seem sad as she recounted her and her Mother’s differences, more amused. “Now though, I try to channel her a bit more: get the job done, organise myself, try not to take crap from people. I guess it all comes with growing up?”

“My brother took after her more than me; graduated Law School, moved to London for his training, doing really well. Having said all this.” She stopped to swig her beer, “We are really close. She’s an amazing mum.” There was more there, there was always more there when it came to families. However, a first date was not the place to discuss that.

“How about friends? You got a big social circle or is your big family enough to keep you busy?” Sam went on to discuss her few, relatively small friend groups. “You know what High School’s like, bit of a bear pit.” Sam elaborated that she was never in the ‘popular’ group, yet seemed to be well enough liked. “Probably down to meeting people through track and other hobbies. Although, the majority of these friendships were more superficial. “I’ve got a couple of close friends I’ve known for, gosh, over ten years now. We still keep up regularly. In fact they’ll probably take a trip over here too.”

“University is a bit different though, isn’t it? You start to meet people who you really click with; same major’s, interests, you find yourself a bit more.” And boy had Sam Vincent done that. Glasgow University had been a game changer for the shy adolescent. She had joined different societies: photography, woman’s rights, basketball, to name but a few. This coupled with the now free access to bars and clubs facilitated Sam’s growth. “I mean you suddenly have all this money with your student loan coupled with turning eighteen and living with your new friends. We got up to all sorts.” She asked what Mark was like at school and college, keen to learn more about him.

“Just now it’s more like what I’d like to do for fun, rather than what I do, y’know? You must be the same? I imagine your schedule is very hectic?”

“Right now, I just work, read, write a bit, sleep repeat. Although, I recognise that my job is really fun and I’m interested in what I’m researching. So, I probably shouldn’t complain.” She shrugged. “I try to work out quite a lot, running and yoga mostly. You ever do yoga? It’s so relaxing.” Sam went on to share her love of the outdoors; hiking, rock climbing and camping. “I was such a boy scout growing up. I found this old pen knife of my grandpa’s and I carried it everywhere, but knew I’d get in to trouble so kept it hidden. That was until I dropped it out my bag in the middle of the playground.” She laughed. “I went to quite a bad primary school, so bringing a knife in was treated really seriously. I got in a ridiculous amount of trouble.”

In addition to physical activity the young woman enjoyed reading really bad crime novels- a guilty pleasure and she loved music, especially live music, so she was quite excited by the city’s thriving scene. “I draw the line at karaoke though!”

She asked Mark what he liked to do, leaning closer to listen to his account before they touched on Dave once more. “Thanks, but I think I can handle him.” She replied, a challenging, almost cocky look on her pretty face. “Never underestimate the power of a Scottish woman scorned.” They were getting on well, really well and when his strong hand came to rest upon hers it felt, even for the brief seconds, she felt her skin tingle.

She laughed as he took a sip of her beer, however her retort was interrupted by the arrival of their food. They both thanked the waitress as she sat down their dishes. “Would you like anything else?” She asked.

“Two beers, please.” She smiled at Mark as she said it. “C’mon, you can’t have me drinking on my own can you?”

“No problem.” The girl nodded. “So, just to give you a run through of what you’ve ordered: this is the Chicken Pho, here’s the glazed tofu and aubergine, a side of stir fried veg noodles in ginger and fresh spring rolls with green mango salad. Enjoy!”

“This looks amazing.” The young woman said, genuinely happy. She loved food, especially foreign food. “I really like South East Asian food- all the fresh ingredients and how they mix fragrance and spice together.” She picked up her chop sticks, able to do so with minimal effort and was about to start when she looked at her handsome date. Sam couldn’t help but stifle a laugh as she watched Mark struggle with the utensils. “Here, like this.” She showed him her grip and after a few failed attempts put her own sticks down on their rest and gently guided Mark’s fingers.

“Just relax your hand a bit.” The soft skin of her delicate fingers guiding the Doctor’s hand. It took him another few moments to get his grip which made Sam contemplate Mark’s feigned inability; perhaps he was enjoying her touch. She certainly was, hell, there was a knife and fork on the table for those unable to eat authentically. Finally, “There you go!” She said happily when Mark finally got it. “Jeez, I dunno if I’d trust you to operate on me after seeing that.” Sam teased before digging into to their food.

“Do you mind if I use my phone for a second? I just need to text my friend, we had an agreement that I’d let her know whether I was getting the axe murderer vibe or not.”

Moments after she had sent a text saying she was having fun the device buzzed against the hard wood of the table. Sam read the reply on the small illuminated screen and shook her head causing her long blonde hair to ripple. ‘Well if it’s going that well, you’ll be glad to know we are going out to a party. If it [the date] goes south come round – 18 Bolivar Road. Otherwise, keep the noise down ;) x’
 
Mark laughed at her stories, finding himself smiling a lot throughout their conversations.

“What you don’t vont me to suck your blood?” he teased in a Dracula accent as she mentioned faking an emergency. “Fair enough, Remind me to thank her later.” He teased right back not missing a beat.

“I get conflict with family, though with myself its I’m too much like my mother, you know opinionated, smart etc. I personally think I’ve evolved beyond her though. I at least know there are things I don’t know about.” He said with a wink poking just a little fun at his own mother but even that showed the true amount of caring he had for his family. He shrugged when she asked about friends. “There’s a group of guys that I used to be in a band with. We hung out in high school and college. But, we decided that we liked eating and touring wasn’t making us money, so college was a better option. We played together even in college, but now we really only play about once a month.” He talked about dating the prom queen in high school, but talked about how looks weren’t everything. Temporarily misstepping on his happy tone as he seemed to brush briefly on a subject better left undiscussed on a first date. “I try to look for smarter partners that put more value on real connection and not the trivial connections of appearance or social status alone. Also I like sex as much as the next guy, but I might lose my man card for saying this but, there’s really more to life than just sex. I need more than that to really satisfy me.” He suddenly grinned, “Although if mind blowing sex came my way I wouldn’t turn it down I stopped even dating a while ago, so yeah.”

He cleared his throat and quickly moved on, not wanting her to think that’s why he asked her out, because truly it wasn’t, he wasn’t Dave, even if he did find her very attractive. He used the topic shift to Segway into what he liked to do for fun, “I also read, I’ve done some writing but mostly music. Haven’t written many stories. Do you write for fun? Or just like your dissertation?” He went on to say that no he had never done yoga but he was willing to learn, asking her if she was a good teacher.

Before she could reply about him stealing her beer, the waitress came and soon he had his own beer also. He picked up the chopsticks but soon proved quite inept at their use. When demonstrating didn’t work, she set her own down and a thrill went through his body and he became instantly aware, senses heightened as she laid her hands over his correcting his grip. Although a quick learner and quite dexterous. Mark was not ashamed to admit he feigned not getting it for as long as he could just so he could continue feeling her hands on his. He really hoped the heat in his cheeks that he could feel weren’t a visible blush. An ex had told him his ears turned pink. Surely the lighting wasn’t good enough for her to see that, were it happening now. He thanked her for the instruction, his smile never faltering.

Mark ate with a somewhat surprised look on his face, “It’s actually pretty good.” He said a hint of surprise or wonder in his voice. He tried to cover that up though remembering that he was trying to come across as more cultured than he was, however after a few more bites gave up on that and just let his genuine surprise and interest in trying more of the dishes show through. “I never thought about it as combining spice and aroma, but that seems a very accurate way to describe it.” He said after a few more bites.

Mark continued to watch her eat, how easily those delicate hands used the chopsticks. “Trust me I promise that if I ever operate on you I will never use chopsticks to do it.” He offered, taking her teasing in stride and giving it right back. He took a sip of his beer. Mark was not a big drinker but she was right he certainly couldn’t let her drink alone, he would feel like he was judging her for her choices and that wasn’t the case at all.

She delved more into the details of her work as they ate. She more able to talk while she ate so much more effortlessly than he did. He talked asking questions and making comments, but listened even more as he continued to mimic her eating motions.

When the waitress came back with the bill, Mark extended his hand for it not giving Sam the opportunity to make a move for it. “My treat. Its not like I go out enough to spend any of the money I make.” He teased, although his father was very traditional about dates and Mark had learned that from him. As long as the woman would let him he would pay for her. Some women he had dated had insisted on paying and he had acquiesced; it wasn’t something he would fight about, it was just always his first instinct to pay. Mark didn’t want the night to end so soon he had genuinely enjoyed her company. “So what do we do now? There’s plenty of bars with costumed partygoers. We’re not far from the lake; we could go for a walk. What would you like to do?” he asked as he stood, “Is there a particular time that you turn into a pumpkin?” he teased, making an obvious Cinderella reference.
 
Back
Top