umm... hello

A

Aynmair

I'm another wanderer from AH, attracted by the honest discussion of the poetry and less vitriolic vibes over in PH and PF&D. I've been reading random threads but would love to know what the "protocol" is in this neighborhood. What questions go where?

I am very new to poetry (certainly to posting poems for public consumption. I've recently (early July) posted a couple of poems and gotten some very useful feedback - thank you :rose: Trixareforkids, twelveoone, and Cleardaynow - and I certainly could use more feedback.

And for those who can spare a moment, links to my poems:

Perilous Waters

Would you...?

I'm another wanderer from AH, attracted by the honest discussion of the poetry and less vitriolic vibes over in PH and PF&D. I've been reading random threads but would love to know what the "protocol" is in this neighborhood. What questions go where?

I am very new to poetry (certainly to posting poems for public consumption. I've recently (early July) posted a couple of poems and gotten some very useful feedback - thank you :rose: Trixareforkids, twelveoone, and Cleardaynow - and I certainly could use more feedback.

And for those who can spare a moment, links to my poems:

Perilous Waters

Would you...?

welcome! :rose:

basic protocols would be:

read and comment and discuss as much as possible
post your own writes and consider all feedback
never make changes that don't feel right - the voice of the poem is paramount
read
read
read
experiment
have fun
join in
aim any critique at the poem and not the poet
remember you're not going to get on with everyone. it's the way of the world :D

the PF is (largely) for poetry orientated challenges/posts asking for crit or opinions/introducing others to poetry by others they may never have read/debates about techniques and so on. browsing through should point you in the right direction.

the PH is for almost anything and you will see threads that could be in either. :D

Hi ya,
Welcome aboard. There's very little protocol except for the 30 threads. To keep them from getting cluttered up any comments you have on a 30 in 30 should go in the Companion to 30 thread.
Other than that, just jump in. If you've got pieces you want comments on before you submit, you might want to create your own thread so you can easily find your stuff later. That said, if you think a piece fits a current thread, just dive in. New faces/voices are always welcome.
You won't always get feedback but if you ask for it for a specific piece you'll likely find at least a couple of takers.

Mostly, just have fun :D

Edit: ha, butters beat me to it, she's been running about the place a while, ao, everything she said ;)

Last edited:
Hi ya,
Welcome aboard. There's very little protocol except for the 30 threads. To keep them from getting cluttered up any comments you have on a 30 in 30 should go in the Companion to 30 thread.
Other than that, just jump in. If you've got pieces you want comments on before you submit, you might want to create your own thread so you can easily find your stuff later. That said, if you think a piece fits a current thread, just dive in. New faces/voices are always welcome.
You won't always get feedback but if you ask for it for a specific piece you'll likely find at least a couple of takers.

Mostly, just have fun :D

Edit: ha, butters beat me to it, she's been running about the place a while, ao, everything she said ;)

ha, i might have got in first but my list wasn't exhaustive - and completely missed the points you made! i plead being knackered :D

Welcome.

It's a process. It takes time as yours truly has and continues to experience.

The patient poets around here are a joy to read, even the stuff of 6 months ago when one says to him(her)self, "OMG! Did I actually write that?"

Poetry is precision IMO. Its nuances become more apparent to the poet and the reader as greater understanding of poetry as art occurs.

There are a number around here who have been in love in poetry for a long time. They want to help. Don't take offense at their direct comments is my best welcoming statement. For the far greatest part, there's no malevolence in them.

Maybe there's a better place in cyberspace to spin ideas about writing poetry, but I haven't found it.

Last edited:
Howdy.

I was absent most of July and missed your submissions.

Live long and prosper.

Welcime, as always new faces and specifically new voices are great to add to the melting pot of ideas here, thanks for posting a link to your pieces I hadn't seen them, will comment soon.
I think everything else has been covered :)

Have fun

Hi. :)

Yeah this is mostly a friendly, laid back place though we do all have our snits from time to time. You can find a lot of support and friendship here as you see from the greetings thus far.

I like your poem "Would you..." a lot because as 1201 pointed out it has some wonderful poetic images in it--the kind of quirky outside the box phrasings that imho make for good poetry.

Stick around and write.

:rose:

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks, all. I hope to be a good citizen - give as well as take, though I may be a clumsy commenter on others' poetry. I am pretty thick-skinned, learning requires it.

Thanks, Angeline, for the nice comment - it really helps to hear from an independent ear (and mouth, lol) that something worked.

Thanks, all. I hope to be a good citizen - give as well as take, though I may be a clumsy commenter on others' poetry. I am pretty thick-skinned, learning requires it.

Thanks, Angeline, for the nice comment - it really helps to hear from an independent ear (and mouth, lol) that something worked.
Fucken A!, The place needs more rhino hides.
regarding comments, be careful on leaving on some. However, all of the people in this thread are open, and it is the most efficacious way to learn, and read the comments on the ones you decide to leave them on. There really is no right or wrong, it is what you see, what you do. They are considerations.
However, if three people say to avoid something, it is probably a good idea to do so.
Good luck.

A gift I gave him freely./I spread my arms to free him.
BTW this is a nice play in this one, as stanza ends

Poetry is an associative process, "assuage my sorrows", what are we saying here?
Did I say good luck? I did. Good night.

One more tip. Take a look at the New Poem Recommendations
Lots of good stuff there and sometimes, IMO, the comments on the recommended pieces are more interesting than the piece itself. Learning what others see in a piece, especially one you don't particularly care for can be quite enlightening.

Poetry is an associative process, "assuage my sorrows", what are we saying here?

I too come armed with +3 Sausage Arrows capable of taking down any Rhinos.

* rolls 20 sided dice *

Darn it ..... go directly to Dungeon ..... do not pass Castle and collect 200 gold pieces ..... sigh ......

I too come armed with +3 Sausage Arrows capable of taking down any Rhinos.

* rolls 20 sided dice *

Darn it ..... go directly to Dungeon ..... do not pass Castle and collect 200 gold pieces ..... sigh ......

I accept the criticism, but could you elaborate so I can understand it better? Do you object because the phrase is too glib, too pat? Or not explained sufficiently? Both? Neither?

I accept the criticism, but could you elaborate so I can understand it better? Do you object because the phrase is too glib, too pat? Or not explained sufficiently? Both? Neither?
just dumb ass banter
assuage just brings to mind sausage
I think I saw the phrase used once before, which hardly puts it in clichedom

2nd rule of Poetry Club is keep in mind that poets tend to blurt out a lot of nonsense to amuse others or themselves ..... and on a rare occasion, that nonsense may amount to something worth expanding upon in the form of a pome.

Back