A couple of questions about submitting stories

DreamingOfMyEx

Really Really Experienced
Edit: I just found the answer to the first question, but haven't finished reading it, so perhaps the second question still warrants some feedback?

Okay, first, what is the criteria and process for submitting a story?

Yes, I know the answer to this question is posted big as day in the most obvious place in the forums ... only ... I looked in the twelve dozen or so most obvious of obvious places and never saw it, so I guess I missed an obvious place.

===

Second, I have an idea (in fact, I've already started writing) to build off a story someone else has posted on Literotica. I presume there is some etiquette involved in getting permission to use their characters, link to their story, etc ...

On the other hand, I don't recall the name, but I did run across one author here who wrote LOTS of stories that took up where other authors' stories left off, so I'm wondering if there's even a requirement. I wouldn't want to do that and risk offending anyone (or violating rules) but I suspect there are some authors who haven't been heard from in a long time and it would be a shame to let ideas for good sequels die on the vine (since there are so many awful spinoffs and sequels on television and in the movies.)

===

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Edit: I just found the answer to the first question, but haven't finished reading it, so perhaps the second question still warrants some feedback?

Okay, first, what is the criteria and process for submitting a story?

Yes, I know the answer to this question is posted big as day in the most obvious place in the forums ... only ... I looked in the twelve dozen or so most obvious of obvious places and never saw it, so I guess I missed an obvious place.

===

Second, I have an idea (in fact, I've already started writing) to build off a story someone else has posted on Literotica. I presume there is some etiquette involved in getting permission to use their characters, link to their story, etc ...

On the other hand, I don't recall the name, but I did run across one author here who wrote LOTS of stories that took up where other authors' stories left off, so I'm wondering if there's even a requirement. I wouldn't want to do that and risk offending anyone (or violating rules) but I suspect there are some authors who haven't been heard from in a long time and it would be a shame to let ideas for good sequels die on the vine (since there are so many awful spinoffs and sequels on television and in the movies.)

===

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Here is the link to the main page regarding submission of stories. You should have all you need here:https://www.literotica.com/storyxs/writ_stor.shtml.

Re your second question: You should not continue someone else's story without express permission. That would be copyright infringement. You should obtain permission and if you do not you should not use the story by the original author in this way. Some authors have chosen to discontinue their affiliation with Literotica, and their choice should be respected in part by not trying to continue or build upon their stories.

Using another author's character and/or story line without permission is plagiarism. I don't think there's any way on Lit to enforce a rule saying you must have the original author's permission, so it becomes a question of ethics.

Using another author's character and/or story line without permission is plagiarism. I don't think there's any way on Lit to enforce a rule saying you must have the original author's permission, so it becomes a question of ethics.
Yes, agree this. There's no policy rule that prevents you using someone else's characters (other than copyright, but that's a whole other thing - before anyone starts on that), but there most certainly is an ethical consideration.

Put it this way, OP: how would you like it if someone took your characters, who you'd laboured over for weeks, months, years; even fallen in love with; how would you like it if that someone did things to those characters that you know they'd never do, or that you would never want them to do? And then, to make it worse, imagine this person taking your characters and writing them so much better than you, or so very much worse? How would you feel?

My advice? Don't, unless you have explicit permission from the original author - some writers don't seem to mind, but most do, a lot. Write your own characters, write your own stories, not someone else's.

I've written unresolved stories ending with open invitations for writers to tell what happens next. Nobody has, yet. Sorry I'm so boring. But certainly, unless an author grants permission to be sequaled, don't do it.

Escape clause: change all names and settings. Maybe nobody will notice.

This, except I think Laurel would probably delete the story if someone pointed it out to her.

If you like the story, use the plot as a starting point, use the characters as starting points but don't copy them, create your own. If it helps, one of the recommendations I followed from a very successful published author with a string of novels to his credit was, if you want to get started, take something by someone else, copy it to use as your starting point and then start rewriting it in your own words, again and again, until you have something that's both original and yours.

Thank you all for your responses.

I know I was vague about what I wanted to do, but the way I wanted to approach it was "Hey, remember this story? Well the guy on page three was a family member, so let me tell you what I did about it." To me the story would be better as a spinoff, but of course if I can't get permission I won't do it.

Now I'm off to look for Hypoxia's stories to see if they appeal to any of my weird fetishes .. er ... tastes.

Derivation, homage, pastiche, or theft? Art students are taught to copy works, to "learn at the feet of the masters," before producing something original. Re-paint your tenth Mona Lisa in Day-Glo colors, hey?

Here on LIT, acolytes may spew endless pastiches of my Stanley Steamer series; just don't post them without changing all the names and settings i.e paint them Day-Glo.

Be sure to credit me for the inspiration.

This, except I think Laurel would probably delete the story if someone pointed it out to her.

True. This has happened to a writer on this website within the last year. The person tried to reach out for permission to multiple authors and, receiving no answer, assumed it abandoned and wrote the continuing stories, posting them here. After a time, all 4 or 5 entries were deleted.

One author I know did reply to the request, and even though he hadn't posted in several years and didn't know if he'd continue it himself, he said in no uncertain terms, "Please, don't."

Well, I think if someone contacted me about permission to use my characters or to tack something on to my story I wouldn't give Carte Blanche permission, but would ask for details and have them run it past me before posting.

In this case, I would be happy to collaborate or simply write it myself and give it to the original author so he or she could post it as a follow on to the original story.

Anyway, I've only been here less than a week so eventually my excitement should die down. But until then .... :D

True. This has happened to a writer on this website within the last year. The person tried to reach out for permission to multiple authors and, receiving no answer, assumed it abandoned and wrote the continuing stories, posting them here. After a time, all 4 or 5 entries were deleted.

One author I know did reply to the request, and even though he hadn't posted in several years and didn't know if he'd continue it himself, he said in no uncertain terms, "Please, don't."

Speaking for myself, I did contact one author on LIT and ask permission to do a different version of his story. He was kind enough to say "go for it" - it's still on my to do list, but I never did get around to doing my own version. I think I'd probably say the same thing if anyone asked me for permission to do their own version of one of my stories. I'd be fascinated to see how someone else would approach it and as long as there was an acknowledgement as to what it was based on, I'd be fine with that as long as I was asked for permission first.

I have been used in a couple of LIT stories by another author whom I inspired, and again, that was with permission. I thought it was rather sweet of the author to ask actually. :rose:
("The Girl in the Black Bikini")

Thank you all for your responses.

I know I was vague about what I wanted to do, but the way I wanted to approach it was "Hey, remember this story? Well the guy on page three was a family member, so let me tell you what I did about it." To me the story would be better as a spinoff, but of course if I can't get permission I won't do it.

Now I'm off to look for Hypoxia's stories to see if they appeal to any of my weird fetishes .. er ... tastes.

It's only weird if you don't like it but somebody else does. If it's your own interest then it's just - a taste!

I hope you find it satisfying to publish here. I certainly have.

I got permission to continue a series I really liked. I got up to 27k words when he changed his mind and said don't :eek:

I was not impressed.

Back