My Safe Place Thread

I suppose I could make a cider press from a stainless plate and large metal bolts, but that, to me, would be insufficiently steeped in anachronism and thus, unusable.

I suppose I could make a cider press from a stainless plate and large metal bolts, but that, to me, would be insufficiently steeped in anachronism and thus, unusable.

Of course! It really must be suitably antiquated—that's a sine qua non.

Perhaps a final post before my break. Congregation responses in bold.

Kids return to school in two weeks,

(the word of the Lord)

Horses are shod and working, all will be fit in time for September cub hunting. I have 7 young hounds coming into the pack, 4 are OKs, 1 is superb, 2 are iffy.

(praise be to Huntsmen)

Apples are ready and I start picking this week. I am buying a new refrig to store as many as I can rather than trying to can/cook/process them all in two or three weeks. Pears are almost ripe, as are grapes. Tomatoes are abundant and we are tired of eating them.

(Fruit for the fruits)

Little on the GB arouses my desire to post; leftist haters here, alt-right haters there, fun or lighthearted posts completely absent.

(who are you, what have you sacrificed)

I wish everyone* a great autumn and winter.

(Amen)

*(not everyone, rather those who read post 1 and qualified to post in this thread.)

Perhaps a final post before my break. Congregation responses in bold.

Kids return to school in two weeks,

(the word of the Lord)

Horses are shod and working, all will be fit in time for September cub hunting. I have 7 young hounds coming into the pack, 4 are OKs, 1 is superb, 2 are iffy.

(praise be to Huntsmen)

Apples are ready and I start picking this week. I am buying a new refrig to store as many as I can rather than trying to can/cook/process them all in two or three weeks. Pears are almost ripe, as are grapes. Tomatoes are abundant and we are tired of eating them.

(Fruit for the fruits)

Little on the GB arouses my desire to post; leftist haters here, alt-right haters there, fun or lighthearted posts completely absent.

(who are you, what have you sacrificed)

I wish everyone* a great autumn and winter.

(Amen)

*(not everyone, rather those who read post 1 and qualified to post in this thread.)

Enjoy your break! Enjoy your children at school. Enjoy your your horses and hounds, your apples, grapes, and pears (but no more tomatoes). Enjoy your autumn and winter. Lord knows there's little joy here.

Apples and pears are ripe, the picking and processing begins. My grape jelly refused to gel and became entirely too sweet to use for anything grape juice. It went down the drain. Attempt #2 is almost ready.

Apples and pears are ripe, the picking and processing begins. My grape jelly refused to gel and became entirely too sweet to use for anything grape juice. It went down the drain. Attempt #2 is almost ready.

How unfortunate about the jelly refusing to gel, but let us hope for better luck with attempt number two.

And what shall be the apple and pear process?

How unfortunate about the jelly refusing to gel, but let us hope for better luck with attempt number two.

You pear up the apples, and leave them to their own devices.

Apple and Pear Butter, apple pies, apple sauce, and then apples for eating.

Attempt #2 is in the process now, but apparently the low-sugar mixes simply are difficult to force to gel. Attempt #3 is on the stove and it will get the 11 cups of sugar that in my humble opinion makes it nothing but sugar with grape flavour added. Truthfully, 2 litres of juice and 11 cups of sugar? That cannot be healthy.

Please add Puns to post #1 of this thread as an unsafe activity, thank you.

Tha..., why that's positively un-American— and, god knows, it is antithetical to everything that is God, Queen and Country !

You pear up the apples, and leave them to their own devices.

I enjoy a good pun. That is not it.

Apple and Pear Butter, apple pies, apple sauce, and then apples for eating.

Attempt #2 is in the process now, but apparently the low-sugar mixes simply are difficult to force to gel. Attempt #3 is on the stove and it will get the 11 cups of sugar that in my humble opinion makes it nothing but sugar with grape flavour added. Truthfully, 2 litres of juice and 11 cups of sugar? That cannot be healthy.

I see. A much larger selection of apples than pears, I assume?

No, that cannot be healthy. That's a lot of sugar. But I suppose it's too late to look for alternative plans if the process has begun.

My home apple harvest is complete, about 6 bushels waiting for inspiration.

My first attempt at wine making is on day 2 of the fermentation process; 10 to 12 more days to go before sampling the alcohol content and filtering.

White Grape Jelly v.2 appears to have gelled properly and will be sampled soon.

This has been an interesting gardening year. Record rainfalls made fruits large but rather bland. Vegetables came and went faster than ever, only the green beans and yellow beans lasted any time on the plant. Tomatoes were ready for eating in late June, earliest ever and are still on the vine, although the final holdouts are ripening slowly to never.

Now for 6 months of chasing the fox and the hare. The hounds are looking great and I expect amazing things from them this year.

My first attempt at wine making is on day 2 of the fermentation process; 10 to 12 more days to go before sampling the alcohol content and filtering.

This has been an interesting gardening year. Record rainfalls made fruits large but rather bland. Vegetables came and went faster than ever, only the green beans and yellow beans lasted any time on the plant. Tomatoes were ready for eating in late June, earliest ever and are still on the vine, although the final holdouts are ripening slowly to never.

Now for 6 months of chasing the fox and the hare. The hounds are looking great and I expect amazing things from them this year.

Sounds as if you have had a pretty good year. Try not to fall off your high horse playing fox 'n hounds this autumn. Pip pip!

Ooh, what to do with six bushels of apples? Inspiration indeed.

But if the wine-making doesn't turn out quite so palatable, at least you'll have a head-start on vinegar-making.

Ooh, what to do with six bushels of apples? Inspiration indeed.

But if the wine-making doesn't turn out quite so palatable, at least you'll have a head-start on vinegar-making.

Six bushels of apples?
Cider vinegar is one answer, provided there's a place to store it

Last edited:
daily_picdump-40-14.jpg

See, what I did when I quit a couple of years ago was:

password: xnft
verify password: xnft&z37

password:xnft&z37qd0d

and so on until each line had about 64 characters, all hidden and unrecorded. Then I hit enter and kbate was gone. Laurel could reset it, but why bother.

See, what I did when I quit a couple of years ago was:

password: xnft

password:xnft&z37qd0d

and so on until each line had about 64 characters, all hidden and unrecorded. Then I hit enter and kbate was gone. Laurel could reset it, but why bother.

You dont need to tell me, look at my aged history.

Hell, we knew each other before either of us had midgets

You dont need to tell me, look at my aged history.

Hell, we knew each other before either of us had midgets

Indeed. I wish I had the damn dog bed today, the guy who made them went off into an alcoholic frenzy of stupidity, lost his house, car, business, and just about everything except his stupidity.

Back