Your Helpful Poice II

I now see why you posted such a brief (quote of the) article about it. You're being disingenuous as usual.

Source - Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies mistakenly shot and killed a teenager in Palmdale early Thursday when their bullets bounced off the ground as they opened fire on an aggressive dog, sheriff’s officials said.

The 17-year-old was struck in the chest by at least one “skip” round several yards from the deputies as they fired several shots at a charging pit bull just after 3:40 a.m., officials said. Investigators believe the deputies did not notice the teenager in the darkness, the department said.

Moments earlier, the dog had bitten one of the deputies and the teenager had restrained the animal so that it wouldn’t attack again. The bitten deputy did not fire but was struck in his right leg by a fragment of a bullet fired by a fellow deputy that bounced off the ground in the shooting.

The teen was identified by family members as Armando Garcia-Muro, who was about to enter his senior year at R. Rex Parris High School in Palmdale. The eldest of four siblings, he loved dogs and aspired to go into construction, said his mother, Roberta Alcantar.

“He would give his life for anybody,” she said. “He was a very loving person.”

In a news conference at the scene hours after the shooting, Capt. Christopher Bergner of the Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau said it appeared that both the teen and the deputy had been struck by rounds that ricocheted off the ground when deputies fired at the charging animal.

“He may have been struck by one of the skip rounds in what we’re calling an extremely, extremely unfortunate incident,” Bergner said. “Our initial impression was [the deputies] didn’t even see the individual coming around from the side of the building.”

Five deputies were present at the time of the shooting but only two fired, discharging six to eight rounds, Bergner said.

Authorities said deputies had gone to an apartment complex in the 38500 block of 10th Street East around 3:40 a.m. in response to a call about a loud party. As they arrived, a pit bull charged at them and bit one of the deputies in the left knee, Bergner said.

The teenager restrained the animal and brought it to the rear of the complex, which was around a corner, Bergner said. Meanwhile, the deputies retreated from the home to call for backup and medical units, who arrived and checked on the bitten deputy’s injuries.

At some point, the pit bull broke free and charged at the deputies again.

Bergner said the dog was a full-grown male that weighed 60 to 65 pounds and was 5 to 7 feet away from the deputies when they opened fire.

The dog was struck and retreated to a carport area at the rear of the complex, the Sheriff’s Department said. Deputies decided to try to corral the dog to prevent anyone else from being attacked, but as they approached the carport they noticed the boy on the ground wounded.

Deputies provided medical aid before paramedics arrived and took him to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he died.

Garcia-Muro’s aunt, Amber Alcantar, said deputies told her the teen was shot while trying to stop the dog from attacking deputies a second time. She said she heard a knock on her door in the early morning. It was Garcia-Muro’s friend, who was frantically looking for the boy’s mother.

The youngster was holding a pair of bloodied shoes. They were Garcia-Muro’s, Alcantar said.

“Obviously something was wrong,” she said. She and Garcia-Muro’s mother went to two hospitals in search of him, but couldn’t find him and eventually returned home.

The dog's owner, who lives at the apartment complex where the shooting occurred, declined to give her name because she had “too many things going on with the law right now.”

She said the dog is a 3-year-old blue-nosed pit bull. Her home is used as a local hangout by some of the neighborhood kids, she said.

“They are all my friends,” the woman said. “They are good kids. They come over and they listen to music.”

The neighborhood children were hanging out and listening to music like they ordinarily do, she said Thursday. Her dog was off its leash, but was well-mannered, she said.

She was skeptical of the deputies’ claims that her dog attacked them.

“That's not my dog. That's not his personality,” she said.

The deputy who was bitten and later struck by a bullet fragment was treated at a local hospital and released, Bergner said. The dog was shot and survived but will be euthanized.

Under the department’s use-of-force policy, deputies are allowed to fire at animals if they “reasonably believe” that they’re about to be killed or be seriously injured by the animal.

Bergner said any time a deputy fires a duty weapon, he or she is put on temporary desk duty while the incident is investigated.

The Los Angeles district attorney’s office has previously determined that officers are justified when firing at dogs that pose an immediate threat, even if the officers’ bullets end up injuring someone else at the scene.

In 2014, a deputy fired a shotgun at a dog biting his leg and mistakenly wounded a resident who was struck in the leg by pellets that rebounded off the ground. Prosecutors wrote in a memo that the man’s injures were an “accidental” result of the deputy’s “lawful discharge of his shotgun” and did not constitute a crime.

A similar result came in 2009 when local prosecutors reviewed a shooting in which a man claimed to have been shot when a probation officer opened fire at a charging pit bull. The district attorney’s office concluded it was unclear if the man’s injury was caused by a bullet, but that the officer was justified and that any injury was “accidental and unavoidable given the circumstances.”

All police shootings, even ones that could be deemed “justified,” come with risks, said Sam Walker, a nationally recognized expert on policing.

“If you miss a person, who knows where that bullet goes,” said Walker, a retired criminal justice professor at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. “That’s the reason most departments ban warning shots or shots at moving vehicles. You don’t know where the bullet is gonna go.”
 
Last edited:
Some people don't like to say too much, because it might contradict the point they are trying to make.
 
Some people don't like to say too much, because it might contradict the point they are trying to make.

Exactly. Before I read the news article, I thought this teenager was just walking down the street or something. Also, I didn't know that the dog had already attacked one of the officers AND that the officer who shot the dog also hit the deputy being attacked.

I also didn't realize this, but the owner of the dog completely refused to comment because she had "too many problems with the law going on." Yeah... hmm... and those teenagers were friends of hers, hung out at her house, and chilled with her.

So, why was this teen outside at 3:40am? Maybe it was just because he heard the shit going down outside. Or maybe he was participating in the loud party that the police were responding to.

I don't necessarily buy the fact that the bullet "skipped" off the cement, but it doesn't matter. The 17yo had the dog, the cops were waiting on backup and medical, and the dog attacked again.

Why do I get this really really weird feeling that maybe the dog was let go on purpose? Hmmm...

The owner of the Pit Bull should be arrested and charged with manslaughter.
 
Exactly. Before I read the news article, I thought this teenager was just walking down the street or something. Also, I didn't know that the dog had already attacked one of the officers AND that the officer who shot the dog also hit the deputy being attacked.

I also didn't realize this, but the owner of the dog completely refused to comment because she had "too many problems with the law going on." Yeah... hmm... and those teenagers were friends of hers, hung out at her house, and chilled with her.

So, why was this teen outside at 3:40am? Maybe it was just because he heard the shit going down outside. Or maybe he was participating in the loud party that the police were responding to.

I don't necessarily buy the fact that the bullet "skipped" off the cement, but it doesn't matter. The 17yo had the dog, the cops were waiting on backup and medical, and the dog attacked again.

Why do I get this really really weird feeling that maybe the dog was let go on purpose? Hmmm...

The owner of the Pit Bull should be arrested and charged with manslaughter.
None of this, not one bit, justifies shooting a child to death. That you seem to think it could tells a lot about you.
 
None of this, not one bit, justifies shooting a child to death. That you seem to think it could tells a lot about you.

The shooting of the teenager was an accident. Even so, I wonder if he had sicced the dog on the cops. If he did, that would amount to ADW. If he did not, why was this dangerous beast running around loose? :eek:
 
None of this, not one bit, justifies shooting a child to death. That you seem to think it could tells a lot about you.

They didn't shoot a child to death. A child happened to get shot in the process of a dog attacking a police officer and he died.

Too bad it wasn't you in the kid's place. Maybe one of the Religion of Peace trucks will get ya. :rolleyes:
 
How many deputies were there? Not one of them could fire off a warning shot ?

Armando Garcia is dead.

It is accepted, that the first to die when the police arrive, is the dog. Many people are left crying, "Why did you shoot my dog ?"

http://www.snopes.com/federal-judge-rule-police-can-legally-shoot-kill-dogs/


ABC 7 “He was trying to stop the dog from attacking the cops, and they shot both of them, I guess,” said Nick Perez, a friend of Garcia-Muro’s, to ABC 7


The animal was restrained, but then attacked the deputy again, according to KABC. When this happened, two deputies fired at the pitbull and the teenager was struck in the chest as he tried to pull the dog away. A bullet fragment also struck the bitten deputy. It is unclear how many deputies were at the scene, and which deputies fired at the animal.

http://theavtimes.com/2017/06/22/deputy-involved-shooting-in-palmdale/


"The suspect

Suspect ? WTF ? Suspected of what ? He died protecting a dog. The dog is still alive. If they were shooting at the dog, why was he shot in the chest ?

Was he trying to protect the dog from gunfire ?

"...was struck by gunfire and transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead," a press release by the Sheriff's department notes. The Times adds that the teen was pronounced dead at Antelope Valley Hospital."

http://laist.com/2017/06/22/deputy_shooting_in_palmdale.php

http://abc7.com/news/teen-dog-killed-in-deputy-involved-shooting-in-palmdale/2131277/


As they were conducting an investigation, a 60 to 65 pound pit bull "aggressively charged" at deputies and bit one of them on his left knee. The deputy was not seriously injured.

The dog was restrained by a person at the scene, but as deputies awaited paramedics, the animal got loose again and charged at the deputies, authorities said. At that point, two deputies shot at the pit bull from a 5- to 7-foot distance, and the dog went back to the rear of the apartment complex and into the carport area.



http://theavtimes.com/2017/06/22/deputy-involved-shooting-in-palmdale/

"..an aunt identified him as Armando Garcia, and said the dog belonged to a friend of his, ABC7 reported."
 
White St. Louis cop shot black off-duty officer — then claimed it was a ‘friendly fire’ incident

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and local news outlet Fox2Now, a white St. Louis police officer shot a black off-duty officer from his own force after a car chase ended in a crash outside the off-duty officer’s home.

The African American officer, who has not yet been identified, came outside of his home while off-duty after hearing the commotion from a car chase that ended nearby. Despite identifying himself as a cop, the man was ordered to the ground by two officers. He complied, and soon after, they recognized him and told him to get up.

That was when a third officer entered the scene, and because he did not recognize the black off-duty cop and claimed to “fear for his safety,” shot the off-duty cop in the arm.

:confused:
 
How many deputies were there? Not one of them could fire off a warning shot ?

Armando Garcia is dead.....

"..an aunt identified him as Armando Garcia, and said the dog belonged to a friend of his, ABC7 reported."

Gotta actually read the articles buddy. Those details sometimes explain what happened. They were shooting at a pit bull on the loose and attacking. Those dogs are lethal. A round missed the dog and bounced. If you shoot, you know what happens with bouncers. They go anywhere and everywhere. Kid was outside and unlucky. He wasn't being shot at, he got winged by a bouncer.
 
Gotta actually read the articles buddy. Those details sometimes explain what happened. They were shooting at a pit bull on the loose and attacking. Those dogs are lethal. A round missed the dog and bounced. If you shoot, you know what happens with bouncers. They go anywhere and everywhere. Kid was outside and unlucky. He wasn't being shot at, he got winged by a bouncer.

"Buy them ammo, Send them to the range, and Cops still can't shoot for shit!"

At 7-10 feet you should be able to hit a pit bull, if you are qualified gun toter.
 
"Buy them ammo, Send them to the range, and Cops still can't shoot for shit!"

At 7-10 feet you should be able to hit a pit bull, if you are qualified gun toter.

They're fast and a lot of cops aren't that great at shooting. Rule of thumb - when cops start shooting, get the heck outs Dodge.
 
They're fast and a lot of cops aren't that great at shooting. Rule of thumb - when cops start shooting, get the heck outs Dodge.

Getting the heck out of Dodge can be difficult when you're sitting peacefully in your car with a cop firing point blank through he window at you.
 
35-year-old man dies while in ICE custody in case of mistaken identity

Immigrant and civil rights advocates joined faith groups outside Hudson County's jail tonight to demand answers in the case of a 35-year-old Honduran immigrant who died in Jersey City two weeks ago after being detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agents.

The group of about 50 protesters, chanting "the people, united, will never be divided" and holding signs reading "America's got room, immigrants welcome," slammed county officials for their operation of the jail and for their controversial agreement with ICE that allows jail officers to act as immigration agents.

The immigrant, Rolando Meza Espinoza, was arrested by ICE agents at his worksite on Long Island in March and detained in Kearny, according to Manuel Portela, attorney for Meza Espinoza's family. He was sent to Jersey City Medical Center's intensive care unit on June 8 and died two days later. His family did not find out until June 12 when they called to check on him, according to Portela.

Someone teach ICE to read the fucking deportation orders, correctly!:(
 
"Buy them ammo, Send them to the range, and Cops still can't shoot for shit!"

At 7-10 feet you should be able to hit a pit bull, if you are qualified gun toter.

Are you out of your goddamn mind? Do you even know what a gun is? Do you know what can change the trajectory of a fucking bullet? The weight of your index finger pulling the trigger (especially on a 3-lb trigger that Glock has) can alter the angle significantly.

This is why the "Oh just shoot somebody in the penis head to stop them" is a dumbass argument. This isn't a videogame. Also, it's not a one-shot-one-kill situation. You fire until the beast is down. There are bound to be some bullets that hit and some that miss.

...and then you try to shoot the dog.
 
Are you out of your goddamn mind? Do you even know what a gun is? Do you know what can change the trajectory of a fucking bullet? The weight of your index finger pulling the trigger (especially on a 3-lb trigger that Glock has) can alter the angle significantly.

This is why the "Oh just shoot somebody in the penis head to stop them" is a dumbass argument. This isn't a videogame. Also, it's not a one-shot-one-kill situation. You fire until the beast is down. There are bound to be some bullets that hit and some that miss.

...and then you try to shoot the dog.

Yes I do know how to shoot and well enough to group inside ~3 inches at 7 yards, double action, at least with my D frame Colts. With my S&W's maybe ~4 inches, they aren't a smooth as a leaf spring Colts.
 
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/25/letters-this-shouldnt-have-happened/

I have been a police officer for 19 years. I love my job and serving my community. I have learned over the course of my career to never assume anything. As I watched the events unfold on July 6, 2016, on a Facebook Live feed, I thought that there must be more that happened. There must have been such a threat that wasn’t captured on this video, that forced Officer Yanez to feel his only option was to shoot into a vehicle with a child in the back seat.

Over the past two days, I have listened to the audio interviews. I have read the documents. And then I watched the dash cam video. And it broke me. Officer Yanez was in a position that if he perceived a threat, he could have disengaged. He could have taken other steps to ensure everyone’s safety, and not have forced this outcome.

Shooting a seat-belted man, with a child in the back seat, was not the only option. Until those of us who wear the badge are willing to stand up and speak out when we see things that are wrong, and lead hard conversations, how can we ever expect change? How can we ever expect to rebuild trust within our communities? Barbecues and pick-up basketball games are nice, but that’s not going to do it.

So today, I stand up and speak out, even if it means standing alone. To the family of Philando Castile, to those that loved him, and to everyone who watched that video and felt broken inside, I am sorry. This shouldn’t have happened. His life mattered.

Angela Kamoske
The writer is a detective with the Madison, Wis., Police Department.
 
Philando Castile follow-up:

Jeronimo Yanez has resigned from the police force. His house is now on the market.

Falcon Heights will no longer be patrolled by the City of St. Anthony police department after December 31st. The suburb will need to find another law enforcement agency.
 
Getting the heck out of Dodge can be difficult when you're sitting peacefully in your car with a cop firing point blank through he window at you.

Yep. So know what to do. Be extremely careful if a cop pulls you up. Even more so if the cop is young, aggressive or nervous, Hispanic or black. Combine that with a perp perceived as high risk and you better be very very careful.

Now white women and Asian women are not perceived as high threat so we get it better than most but the best approach is still to be polite, move slowly and ask before you do anything at all.
 
‘Heartsick’ Minneapolis mayor demands answers after police kill Australian woman who called for help

The Star Tribune quoted three sources which it did not name as saying Justine Damond was in her pyjamas when a police car responding to a 911 call pulled into the alley.

She approached the driver’s side of the vehicle and was then shot through the door, the newspaper said.

Another terrified Cop?

Updated expanded story:
Minnesota cops fatally shoot yoga teacher who called 911 to report assault
 
Last edited:
WATCH: Man allegedly catches a police officer breaking into his car

An incident captured on video that shows a plainclothes officer apparently searching through a parked car without the consent of the owner has been referred to the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office for review, officials said Sunday.

The video, which contains explicit language, went viral on social media last week and shows an officer, who is wearing gloves and has a badge around his neck, searching the trunk of a vehicle who belongs to the man filming.

The man approaches the officer and asks what he's doing and why he's in his van.

"We've been getting a lot of complaints" about guns, the officer tells the man. When the man asks the officer how he got in his car, the officer responded, "it was open."

I don't think that is what is meant by "Open Carry".
 
Back
Top