I'm a little late to the hate party, but I watched 50 Shades...

I read the books and I thought that they were good, not great, but good. The protagonist drove me up a wall with her whining and angst. I really wanted to just yell at her to make a decision and move on with her life for all of our sakes. He may have ignored a safeword once (or twice) but she is the one who continued to stay around and take it. No one was holding a gun to her head.
It is so common for those involved in BDSM to be portrayed as having to be fixed or that something bad happened to make them that way. The vanillas' cannot grasp why anyone would want to do what we do so they have to make an excuse for it. It is just the way it is unfortunately.
As for the movie I couldn't watch more than half of it without cursing at it and turning it off. It was atrocious!
 
Didn't read the books but saw the movie. I was surprised that, to me anyway, it seemed more like she was controlling him more than he was controlling her. Maybe I was in another universe at the time.
 
Poorly written English.

To me the series is just Mills and Boon on steroids, but M&B can be a more erotic bodice ripper. More show me the money for the author. I only lasted about 50 pages into the first book and gave it up. My daughters have read them through and filled in details for me as they have asked questions.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top