The Earth Day 2011 Contest Support Thread

I've noticed that in the announcement post for this year's competition, they don't mention ecology as an acceptable entry theme, though I'm pretty sure I saw it listed in previous years' posts. I can't tell if this omission is deliberate or accidental.

If ecology is a suitable entry basis, could someone let me know if a story based around a guy nursing an injured wild animal back to health would qualify as an 'ecology' story? I have an idea along these lines that I might be able to do something with before the competition closes. ;)

Call this a shameless plug, if you will, but if anyone's interested, I actually wrote this story and submitted it a few days ago. It just went up.

I fully intended for it to be a competition entry, but I just couldn't get it ready in time. To reiterate (for the slow ones): this is not an actual Earth Day Competition entry, so there's no need to go 1-bombing it if you're only interested in claiming a prize for yourself. I only mention it here, because it was written with the competition in mind.

Anyway, the story is called "Kind Soul"; its set in ancient Egypt and it involves a little magic/fantasy.

natures_embrace.jpg

Josephine Wall Art: Nature's Embrace

Sleepless and delirious. This one is for all of us Tree Huggers and L:heart:vers that are slightly loathed 'round here. :catroar:

Last edited:
Her art is incredible! I love that she links mythologies behind her art, as well. I have no artistic talent, but enjoy art, especially of the fantasy, mythical, visionary nature. Enjoy!

http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

I was up close enough to touch a painting of hers at a Convention. But she had left her booth for awhile and I missed out on meeting her.

Last edited:
heart_of_wood_thum.png

For posterity: If I place today, scouries goes ballistic with the cheater/chapter/alien/category sour grapes. If not, he claims 'the Queen' has finally listened to his 'infinite wisdom' *rolls eyes* + going ballistic as above

Steward of the Wood 04/02/07
Daughter of the Wood 03/28/08
Forever of the Wood 04/08/09
Secret of the Wood 03/28/10
Kindred of the Wood 09/04/10
Heart of the Wood 04/12/11

But I can’t help but notice that you don’t address the issue raised – which is the advantage chaptered/serial stories have in the contests (something you’ve freely admitted in the past).

Or the morality of skirting the rule as you’ve done for the past three years... so pal do all the *rolls eyes* :rolleyes: you like – but you’ll never be able to spell INTEGRITY...

What I've learned in life is that cheaters and scammers always have a 'good reason' and 'explanation' for their transgressions...

Of course you're going to win a prize in the contest! We've known that since day 1. The QUEEN :cattail: unfortunately is between a rock and a hard place - she can't win. Moving you down would be more embarrassing for her than letting this cut and paste offering win.

And next year you'll follow the same formula - same characters, same setting, some cut and paste and voila Do Darkboys Shit in the Wood - not a chapter of a previous story!

jrs esq

http://www.blakerichardson.com/
Blake Richardson: Check out this visionary artist's visions of nature. Nature is his muse and inspiration. I would post a before/after picture, but doing that would lose the delicate details. Just go to the link called Earthprints and click to see before/after images. Have an enlightening day! :rose:

How often do people find themselves inspired to write a new story based on a picture? My Earth Day entry came about because of two photos I stumbled across, even though I didn't actually end up using them as references or anything. Has anyone else found inspiration thusly?

i just ran the figures for the boss. the queen still has her final juggling to do so who knows what will happen - any of the second to eighth place stories could place ... and then there's that potential BIG surprise out there...

RATINGS (with votes listed)

Heart of the Wood LesLumens 4.79 73
Lost in the Woods PennLady 4.74 276
Chrysander's Mate avidreader_01 4.73 205
Don't Fuck the Flowers manyeyedhydra 4.73 240
Cider Webs Firebrain 4.73 392
Going Green sleeplessgurl 4.72 94
Earth Day Hunt Bethyboo 4.71 21
HeartWood LunaEroticaMystica 4.71 53
The Pareto Efficient Relationship LettersFromTatyana 4.71 196
Dad's Two Little Earth Day Darlings scouries 4.70 747
The Show Must Cum On MarlowBunny 4.65 106
The Four Seasons LiquidMatthew 4.65 79
Hard Pounding Raine RejectReality 4.64 252
The Platform alwayswantedto 4.63 972
The Places Eddie Goes Transverse 4.62 39
Honey Dippers DG Hear 4.61 582
Long Haul Scaramouche123 4.57 221
All Natural AlwaysHungry 4.49 71
The Tree AaronTraugott 4.47 93
An Earth Day to Remember centrum1000 4.44 313
It's Like Our Old Swamp Gnaeus 4.41 44
Gone Fishing pilot63 4.40 89
Chelsea's Garden lazyways 4.39 94
The Convenient Truth PrincessErin 4.39 46
Rhea Goldeniangel 4.37 70
The Perfect Aphrodisiac Luscious_Lane 4.35 34
Roadway Kaishaku 4.34 446
Dirty Girl diggypop 4.33 57
My Brother - My Hero MarlowBunny 4.32 241
Treetop Lovers Boxlicker101 4.32 53
Donna & Kevin Go to the Zoo Boxlicker101 4.31 26
A Fall From Grace silkstockingslover 4.29 160
How Naked Are You Willing to Get? electric1 4.28 67
The Spirit of the Glen MarlowBunny 4.28 29
Natural and Supernatural Nathaniel_Selene 4.27 11
Desert Goddess bamboomoon 4.25 60
Juliet's Fall Owlwhisper 4.23 44
Best Earth Day Ever Ambrose1911 4.21 455
Bound to the Forest God EesomeBeastie 4.21 58
Ceremony of Rebirth Acal 4.19 32
Kiss of the Spider Woman voluptuary_manque 4.17 47
Old Major playfullelf 4.17 30
An Earth Day Celebration Worth Remembering jjjohns 4.15 48
A Secret Amid The Trees mythtrav16 4.14 51
Life Springs Eternal Bestroika 4.10 30
To Plant The Seeds of Love MerielMcCaffrey 4.09 35
Shark Cage Gnaeus 4.00 26
Last Forest in America Bakeboss 4.00 37
Sunlight Mrs_Cumming 3.98 55
A Walk I Will Never Forget ccconwell 3.89 35
Our Personal Earth Day CFBwriter 3.89 19
Rites of Spring KT5354 3.84 25
Legend's Victim voluptuary_manque 3.79 24
Naked in the Outdoors HeyAll 3.77 70
Fast Car, Fur Coat bgoodladdy 3.76 34
The Green Man Noira 3.67 36
Contest hoo_hoo_boo 2.64 11

VOTES

The Platform alwayswantedto 972
Dad's Two Little Earth Day Darlings scouries 747
Honey Dippers DG Hear 582
Best Earth Day Ever Ambrose1911 455
Roadway Kaishaku 446
Cider Webs Firebrain 392
An Earth Day to Remember centrum1000 313
Lost in the Woods PennLady 276
Hard Pounding Raine RejectReality 252
My Brother - My Hero MarlowBunny 241
Don't Fuck the Flowers manyeyedhydra 240
Long Haul Scaramouche123 221
Chrysander's Mate avidreader_01 205
The Pareto Efficient Relationship LettersFromTatyana 196
A Fall From Grace silkstockingslover 160
The Show Must Cum On MarlowBunny 106
Going Green sleeplessgurl 94
Chelsea's Garden lazyways 94
The Tree AaronTraugott 93
Gone Fishing pilot63 89
The Four Seasons LiquidMatthew 79
Heart of the Wood LesLumens 73
All Natural AlwaysHungry 71
Rhea Goldeniangel 70
Naked in the Outdoors HeyAll 70
How Naked Are You Willing to Get? electric1 67
Desert Goddess bamboomoon 60
Bound to the Forest God EesomeBeastie 58
Dirty Girl diggypop 57
Sunlight Mrs_Cumming 55
HeartWood LunaEroticaMystica 53
Treetop Lovers Boxlicker101 53
A Secret Amid The Trees mythtrav16 51
An Earth Day Celebration Worth Remembering jjjohns 48
Kiss of the Spider Woman voluptuary_manque 47
The Convenient Truth PrincessErin 46
It's Like Our Old Swamp Gnaeus 44
Juliet's Fall Owlwhisper 44
The Places Eddie Goes Transverse 39
Last Forest in America Bakeboss 37
The Green Man Noira 36
A Walk I Will Never Forget ccconwell 35
To Plant The Seeds of Love MerielMcCaffrey 35
Fast Car, Fur Coat bgoodladdy 34
The Perfect Aphrodisiac Luscious_Lane 34
Ceremony of Rebirth Acal 32
Life Springs Eternal Bestroika 30
Old Major playfullelf 30
The Spirit of the Glen MarlowBunny 29
Shark Cage Gnaeus 26
Donna & Kevin Go to the Zoo Boxlicker101 26
Rites of Spring KT5354 25
Legend's Victim voluptuary_manque 24
Earth Day Hunt Bethyboo 21
Our Personal Earth Day CFBwriter 19
Contest hoo_hoo_boo 11
Natural and Supernatural Nathaniel_Selene 11

gabby

The Platform also received the MOST COMMENTS, FAVORITES and VIEWS!

gabby

How often do people find themselves inspired to write a new story based on a picture? My Earth Day entry came about because of two photos I stumbled across, even though I didn't actually end up using them as references or anything. Has anyone else found inspiration thusly?

I don't think pictures so much but I've written four stories, I think, that were inspired by songs. I sort of turned the lyrics into a story. It'd be neat, though, to look into a picture and see a story. Good for you.

LiquidMatthew, yes. I've been inspired thusly by pictures, artworks, and music (with or without lyrics). Images tend to inspire poetry more so than stories. When I was younger my best friend and I were always writing together. We would listen to the classical radio channel and weave stories to the music.

PennLady, me too! I'm currently working on a story inspired by an old celtic folk ballad.

It's a wonderful gift to see that way and to be moved to craft something that can be shared with others.

Congrats to all the winners, I saw the thread posted in the announcements section. :)

Darn, not in the top 3, but I must have come close. Ah well... Congratulations to the winners!

Originally Posted by mythtrav16

I've noticed that in the announcement post for this year's competition, they don't mention ecology as an acceptable entry theme, though I'm pretty sure I saw it listed in previous years' posts. I can't tell if this omission is deliberate or accidental.

If ecology is a suitable entry basis, could someone let me know if a story based around a guy nursing an injured wild animal back to health would qualify as an 'ecology' story? I have an idea along these lines that I might be able to do something with before the competition closes.

ecology 1873, "branch of science dealing with the relationship of living things to their environments, coined by German zoologist Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) as Okologie, from Gk. oikos "house, dwelling place, habitation" + -logia "study of" (see -logy). In use with reference to anti-pollution activities from 1960s.

mythtrav, not only are themes pretty flexible but your subject lies closer to the essence of earth day than most stories submitted. Also, if you'd followed the link to Wikipedia, you'd have seen the mention of ecology.

Ecology is a sub-division of biology, which is the study of life. Can't get more tree-huggingly Earth Day than that. You should have gone for it. Your story is perfect for the contest.

Way to go sleeplessgurl and LesLumens! :) Whew, now I don't have to write for another contest until Halloween...although maybe I should get a head start on next year. hahaha.

And hugs to everyone who entered -- I've had fun on this thread.

For those who haven't checked the Awards and Contest forum...

Here is a quote from Laurel's announcement:

Manu and I would like to thank all the authors who submitted during this special contest! We've tallied the reader's votes, and are happy to announce the winners of our 2011 Earth Day Contest.

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
Going Green by sleeplessgurl

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
Heart of the Wood by LesLumens

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
Lost in the Woods by PennLady

Thanks again to everyone who voted, submitted, or was involved in Literotica in any way.

Congrats Winners! I didn't make it to the winning entry yet, Sleepless. I'll have to read it later.

*giggles* PennLady. Park - Ranger - Dreams. Sequel in the future?

Dark...preparing yourself for the onslaught, yet? *chuckles*

I got 3 1-bombs early this morning and not a sweep in sight. Trolls are vindictive. I think they need healing hugs and showers of pixie kisses and sprinkles of faery dust. Either that or to be bitten hard...although they probably would enjoy that too much. ;)

I had tons of fun and learned a lot during this adventure. Yay for everyone who wrote and submitted.

Now it's time to go outside and commune with nature and listen to the heartwood sing. Enjoy! :rose:

Last edited:
*giggles* PennLady. Park - Ranger - Dreams. Sequel in the future?

:D

You know, I am actually surprised that no one asked for an Ivy/Adam sequel. Usually in my stories I get a few comments to the effect of, will you be doing a story about X? But maybe. You never know.

Oh yes, an Ivy/Adam sequel would be just as fun, methinks. The title could be "Insatiable" and you could have Ivy prove she isn't just incorrigible. ;)

Congrats to the winners! As the annoying cliche goes, a good time was had by all, even those of us in the losers' circle.

PL, I think you get out of Nude Day, but not Summer Lovin'. Perhaps that's where Ivy and Adam can have some fun. ;) My guess is no one mentioned it because we all assumed you would write the sequel. Don't let us down now!

Here is a quote from Laurel's announcement:

Manu and I would like to thank all the authors who submitted during this special contest! We've tallied the reader's votes, and are happy to announce the winners of our 2011 Earth Day Contest.

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
Going Green by sleeplessgurl

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
Heart of the Wood by LesLumens

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
Lost in the Woods by PennLady

Thanks again to everyone who voted, submitted, or was involved in Literotica in any way.
Congrats. :rose:

I look forward to the day I have time to write again. Essays just aren't the same. :rolleyes:

Good job sleeplessgurl, LesLumens, and PennLady. I already dedicated my life (or a portion of it) in the probably futile attempt to writing as well as PennLady. Now it looks like I have some yet more role models :)

My thanks go to all of you who read and/or commented on my entries. I value the feedback probably more than you will ever know. I managed to read 50 or so stories and enjoyed most. All three winners were among my personal favorites.

Oh yes, an Ivy/Adam sequel would be just as fun, methinks. The title could be "Insatiable" and you could have Ivy prove she isn't just incorrigible. ;)

But Ivy admitted she wasn't incorrigible. ;) I do think they could be fun, but I don't have a plot/conflict yet. Can't write without one of those.

Back