Assassin, Father, Lover...

Emily smiled as Danny explained that Kayla had wanted to come but he had managed to get some time away. It was obvious to her that Danny really loved his daughter. It was nice to see a single father doing everything that he could for his daughter. She was smart, well cared for, and given everything that she could want.

She was about to speak again when the waitress appeared, greeting them briefly before talking to Danny in Portuguese. She was amazed that Danny seemed to be multilingual. She wondered what he did before he came to Alaska, but she thought otherwise of asking him. Sometimes that was a personal question that was too painful to think about.

"Oh, this is just our first time out. I don't know about being his girlfriend just yet." Emily murmured as Diana hugged her and declared that she was Danny's girlfriend. "Perhaps in time."

She gave Danny a smile as Diana took their drink orders and gave them a moment. He explained how he knew the woman and how he had helped her and her husband in a bad situation. Not only was he a father, but he was a decent man. That touched Emily deeply. She was about to speak again when Danny excused himself for a moment, going towards a couple that had been fighting at the back of the restaurant.

Emily watched as he disarmed the situation, struggling not to kill the man that had been beating his companion. What she saw was a very trained man doing what came naturally to him. Perhaps he had been in the military before. That would certainly explain what she was seeing. When he returned he acted as if nothing had happened, apologizing before slipping back into their conversation. Perhaps he didn't want to talk about what had just happened.

"You were talking about helping people here in town." Emily murmured, unsure if she should bring up what had just occured.
 
"Ah right, "Danny said thinking of what must be on Emily's mind right now. For him violence to casual conversation was ease to shift in and out of without a problem. He'd done it more then a few times. Murder an enemy agent and his body guards and walk back into the hotel and interact with the staff like a friendly tourist. Joke with Russian soldiers and then politely walk in and murder their commander and walk out again. This woman deserved a little more of an explanation.

"I don't like bad people very much, and it's hard for me to let things go. Like a man hurting a woman like that. I never understand it and can't stand the suffering. Our one dog Cody well we adopted him, but that's after I stopped the men who were using him in dog fights. The world isn't a good place it has a dark side and I can't stand for Kayla to be touched by it. Growing up for me wasn't so nice."

Diana came back with drinks and hot biscuits and gently hugged her friend and said looking at Emily, "he always has to do the right thing."

Danny smiled a little embarrassed but he reached out and took Emily's hand. "I like you and I want you to like me, so you think about all the questions you want to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them even if not all tonight. I hope in the very least we can be friends."

With that the food was ordered and Danny did his best to share with Emily at least what their lives were like in Hawkeye. He told her about how they met Diana and her husband that the work they did. Also how Diana was her middle name, but Kayla was so happy she shared a name with her mother she told the child to call her that as much as she liked. He'd told her about the places he'd been leaving out the details, but always said it was for construction. Now with enough money to get things started he wanted to settle down and give his daughter a real life.
 
Emily laughed softly as he took her hand and explained that he liked her and he wanted her to like him. It was childlike in a way, she thought to herself, but it was incredibly sweet. She could admire a man that wanted to make sure that everyone as protected. He would stand up for what was right while making sure that Kayla always had what she needed.

"Well, I would say that despite a few bumps along the way, this first date is going very well." Emily murmured with a smile as she squeezed his hand and they placed their orders for dinner.

She listened as he talked about Kayla and briefly about Kayla's mother before he talked about all of the places that they had lived because of his job. It seemed that now he was wanting to set down some roots for his daughter and he had chosen Hawkeye as the place to do that.

"What happened to Kayla's mother?" Emily asked him, wondering if it was rude to ask such a personal question.

She had always hated it when people asked her what had happened to her mother. She went with her dad in the divorce, her mother skipping town to never be heard from again. She hadn't really even thought of the woman as her mother. She knew what it was like to grow up sad and angry and lonely without another woman there to confide in. There was a small part of her that hoped she filled that void for Kayla.
 
Danny nodded and put down his fork holding back any emotion he might have shared. Kayla claimed he would smile every time he thought of his lover Diana. From the beginning he'd been friendly, and so different from the other doctors and scientists. She was warm and kind and treated him like a human being not a medical experiment. After meeting her he truly learned what love was, but he couldn't tell Emily the full story yet.

"Kayla's birth mother died overseas it was laboratory accident. She was a scientist and a doctor, and unfortunately others weren't as careful as she was. She was a very loving person, and to be honest Kayla was an oops, but we were so happy. I remember she was glowing about. She tracked her pregnancy and told me about it all the time. Kayla was named after her favorite auntie in England."

He paused and took a drink and looked at Emily keeping his emotions out of it as best he could. "I regret not being around as much in the beginning because of work. The people I was employed by were very unfair, and kept me away from home. Well where we lived it wasn't home though. Kayla was growing up without me and she didn't like her school. People kept telling us how to raise Kayla. So when the first opportunity came took her and we relocated. I worked as a contract for awhile I think she told you about Italy and Australia, but I was all over."

He sipped his water and let Emily take it all in. He'd left out some major things, but she got the gist of what happen though. In truth the organization who made him murdered Diana rather let her have a normal life with her child. Kayla was to be their next generation, and were developing ghastly technology to take humans out of the process. Diana used to say heaven for her would be just going to the park with him and Kayla and having a normal day out.

He'd missed seeing Kayla as a baby though. There was always another war to fight, another assassination, another situation he had to handle. Diana did her best though. She kept the nursery next to the lab and did her best to raise Kayla. Her peers were quick to notice how Kayla walking and talking well above average. When she did get older she tested off the charts in academics and athletics. They wanted the perfect assassin, but her parents just wanted her to be happy.

"Well do you feel like dessert? I've traveled a lot, but I'd like to make this home. Tell me a little about your family and what you like."
 
Last edited:
"I'm sorry for your loss, Danny." Emily said softly as he talked about Kayla's mother.

She could see the light in his eyes as he talked about Diana. She had obviously meant a lot to him and now she was gone. It didn't seem very fair in the scheme of things, but it was done and there was no changing the past. They ate their meal as Danny spoke about his past, telling her that he had traveled the world and done much for his own work.

"Dessert would be nice." Emily said with a soft smile on her lips as he asked her about her life. "Well, my dad raised me here in Hawkeye. My mom was never really in the picture. I don't even know where she is anymore nor do I really care. My dad is a fisherman so he spends most of his time out on his boat. I ended up with his house, which is where I moved after I came back from college."

"I went to France for a while to learn the language and to travel. I went to college in Florida. Then I came back home." She said with a shrug of her shoulders. "Certainly not as exciting as the life that you've led, but it still has its charms."
 
What a nice restaurant was very relative considering the area, so while their choice was top shelf it wasn't anything that someone in a big city would call a night out. Still though the pair seemed to have a good evening by Danny's standards. He tried to keep away from talk of his past. Partly because of his violent past, and that he was sure no woman wanted to hear about the women a man had slept with or cared about. Diana was safe because she was Kayla's mother and he was sure the loving teacher who was curious about his daughter wanted to know. While might have lacked experience aside from the one interruption Danny thought it was a good date.

Dessert that was brought was simple, but wonderful. A warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream, fudge, and whip cream with two spoons was simply a delight to share with this lovely woman.

He smiled as he sat across from her enjoying the dessert and said, "well you give me faith that I can be a good parent. Your father raised you and you turned out wonderful. I think your mother really missed out in being part of your life. So many people seem to throw away the opportunity to be a parent. Kayla was well never part of my plan in life, and then well the second she became part of my life I couldn't see it without her."

"I'm glad you like spending time with us. I know I wouldn't want anyone in my life who didn't care about my daughter. We're different so it's hard to find good people."

They stayed a bit longer before saying their goodbyes to the staff and collecting the food for Kayla. Danny walked over to his vehicle first and came back over with a folder and handed it to Emily and nodded nervously. "She said I should give it you, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way I just find you very pretty. I hope we can do this again sometime soon."

With that he said his goodbyes and went over to his vehicle looking back only to see if she opened the folder. Inside there was a pencil drawing of her out front of the school. He'd sketched it as he waited for Kayla over the course of a week adding details. He'd always liked art and crafting. Perhaps in the next life he'd be an artist. He waved as he drove by and headed home. He would have liked to have invited her home, but this was just the first date after all.
 
"I don't think the two of you are any different from anyone else." Emily murmured as Danny told her that she gave him hope for the future with Kayla. "You're a good dad with a beautiful little girl. You have to do what is the best for her, no matter what. I think you do that beautifully, Danny."

After dessert, Danny escorted her to her car before he hurried back to his own to bring back a folder. When she looked at the drawing inside a few moments later, she was struck by the beautiful sketch that he had done of her. It was obvious that Danny had a lot of talent and it was also obvious that he had eyes for her. She found it incredibly sweet and she smiled as she tucked the drawing back into the folder and waved towards Danny as he pulled out of the parking lot. There most definitely would be other meetings and dates in the future. She liked him...a lot.
 
The next day began slightly different for Danny. He woke up alone in empty house, but for the animals and tried to go about his business. He found himself pausing several times only to realize Kayla wasn't with him. He'd even made two breakfast plates. He laughed to himself and emptied the contents of the plate into the bowls of the grateful dogs. It wasn't the first time Kayla had stayed over with friends, but it was the first time he wondered about being alone.

One day no matter what Kayla would like to see the world. Sure she talked about having a farm with animals, but she wanted to see more of the world. Go to all the amazing places daddy went she said. Part of him hoped she would do it even if it meant her leaving. He saw most of those places through rifle scope, running from police officers, and lurking in the shadows. Now this Emily woman offered the possibility of not being alone. It was early, but the relationship had potential.

He went about his business though and once the farm was in order and dogs taken care of he hit the road. Within the hour he was at the job doing carpentry work for one of his regular employers. Several of his coworkers noted he had a smile on his face something out of his character. Maybe he had a reason to smile today, and as he worked he thought of Emily and looked forward to seeing her after school.

Back at Hawkeye's school campus most of the girl scouts in Emily Carter's class were yawning after a fun night together. They did the overnight at least once a month, so it was to be expected. The exception was young Kayla who was bright eyed and bushy tailed. Seems she had plenty of energy even though she was up late as well. When Ms. Carter gave her usual greeting in French the little girl happily added more in her reply. Basically saying Daddy likes you.


An hour later ahead in Las Vegas Nevada the staff of the Shark Club was just beginning to pick up from the party the night before which had only ended at 4:00 Am. Female strippers dressed as angels and their male counterparts as devils had "performed" live on stage to the cheers of the crowd as several different rock bands kept the party moving. Fine food and high security made sure the high paying guests enjoyed their visit thoroughly and discretely. A few still lingered though as the staff began the process of cleansing the club of the previous night's activities.

The owner Vaana Ketlyn former performance artist and stripper stretched out on the leather couch in her office wearing only a club t-shirt and panties as she played with her tablet. An alert came in letting her know finally her special guest had arrived. She smiled as she reached out and sipped a hot cub of tea and glanced back at the man she was asked to keep busy.

Anthony Martinez a corrupt CIA agent, a black market weapons dealer and her former lover. By all accounts he was a genius and very good at his job with the CIA, but morally weak and easily corrupted. Club drugs, fast cars, and pussy were just some of his addictions. With meager pay and no glory the agent was always trading information to finance his next adventure. How much longer he could keep it up was anyone's guess, but he was still useful to Vaana.

Recently though he'd mentioned over a few drinks with a mutual friend he might know the location of a certain assassin who'd went off the grid. Those at the franchise used only numbers for their personnel, but this one had a nickname. He went by Danny, and they wanted him bad. Word was it's not just that he quit, but he took some valuable property with him. She didn't know the details, but it didn't matter. She knew someone who'd pay even more for the information.

She'd kept Anthony up for a good three days on a cocktail of booze, pills, and hookers. He'd eaten like a glutton, drank like a fish, and fucked like a rabbit. He barely knew his own name and forgotten that a few days back he'd brought a van full of weapons to sell to an interested party. Now the poor slob was logging into the CIA from her computer. She'd get what information she could from him, and then after cleaning him up send him on his way, but that was only after John Maynard had a word with him.

Maynard was a scary guy among assassins and mercenaries. A cold blooded killer who had more then enough money to stop any time he wanted, but still enjoyed the work. What's more he didn't take assignments unless he thought it would be challenging. He'd turned down large paydays if he deemed it unworthy of his talents. One of the few rivals he had was the one the franchise called Danny. Besides it being a professional rivalry Maynard had a personnel grudge to settle with the man.

Danny had killed his prize student and lover Eve. To add insult to injury he'd used her own stiletto on her and left her to be found by the Las Vegas police. Now he was back in this decadent city to get answers, and soon he'd be on the road to vengeance again. He'd make that coward suffer for what he did. All this was going through his head as he sat on the back of the town car.

Within the hour Vaana had Anthony on uppers, showered and dressed and waiting for Maynard in the garage of the club. She'd put on a black slip dress and heels, and brought her sword cane along for good measure. You never could tell when you were dealing with John who regarded everyone as either a source for information or a target. They didn't have long to wait though, and soon he was walking over to the pair.

The white haired assassin dressed like he'd come from hunting on the African continent and carrying a brief case looked at the two and didn't exchange pleasantries. He just put the case down on took a out a large brown envelope and tossed it to Vaana and gestures to the elevator. She nodded and willingly complied. She'd be more then happy to watch this from the safety of her office through the cameras.

Anthony did his best to keep his composure and opened up the back doors of his van and proudly displayed two weapons along with several others. He took a deep breath and began by saying, "hello sir my ex-girlfirend tells me you're a bit of a hunter well I have everything you could need. I have SLP .40 pistols with silencers included, I'm told your favorite is the Heckler & Koch MP5. I have a pair of those with all the fancy extras and plenty of ammunition, but I'm sure you recognize these beauties."

He stepped back so his customer could get a closer look at the Dragunov SVD sniper rifle and the FN-2000 a Belgian-made bull-pup assault rifle. He smiled as Maynard came in for a better look. "I've head you like the Dragunov, and well I've carried the FN-2000 myself and I'll throw in the briefcase for free."

"I'll take it all," was all Maynard said in his course voice, but before Anthony could reply or even smile with delight Maynard had his hands on his throat and drove him into the wall hard. He pulled the pistol out of his waist band and then stared into his eyes with his own unforgiving yellow eyes.

"I'll take it all for not killing you now tell me wear Danny is!"

"Come on back off man we were just doing business here, but I'm sorry about what happen so take it all. I have no idea where that crazy man is."

Maynard reached into his pocket without looking and took out a stiletto and put it against the CIA agent's throat and snarled at him. "So you've been lying to me. I have no use for you now."

In true desperation he cried out at what was truly a terrifying man. "Wait I don't have all the details. Some former asset reported a few months back that he thought he saw someone that looked like someone that might be Danny. I mean we never had a picture of the guy. He's a legend as far as the CIA's concern. Killing me won't help you at all."

"So give me a reason not to, " Maynard said easing back from his aggressive stance.

"Right well ah I can run things down and know exactly where the asset saw him, and get you all the details you need. I can't promise you that you'll find him, but this is the only lead we've had in years."

Maynard just nodded and replied, "I'll give you an email address. Now load my car with everything you have. I'm having my plane refueling as we speak. I'll be in Alaska waiting I expect to hear from you very soon. If I have to come back you'll spend the remaining hours of your life begging for me to kill you."
 
Last edited:
Emily really enjoyed Kayla's company. She was a bright little girl who seemed natural curious about the world around her. If it weren't for Danny, she was sure that Kayla would be just another ordinary little girl. Instead, her father made her extraordinary.

When the other children were out to recess, Emily found herself in her room with Kayla, chatting happily about things that had happened the night before. Talk turned towards food and Emily was amazed to hear that Kayla had never had real French food before.

"Well, I guess I'll have to make a special meal for you and you Dad some night." Emily said with a smile on her lips. "You'll love it. It's so rich and delicious. Maybe you can go and call your dad and see if it would be alright for me to take you home today. We can stop and get some groceries and a few books from the library. How does all of that sound?"
 
http://media.matgeek.se/2013/04/julia-childs-mastering-the-art-of-french-cooking-rund.jpg


Kayla giggled and nodded happily and went over to her backpack and took out an interesting looking flip phone and typed in a code and called her father. She first said, "no everything is okay. MMM Emily...I mean Ms. Carter has something to ask us."

She explained everything to him and after a few talk she hung up and put away her phone in her backpack. She turned back to her teacher with a bright smile. "Don't worry it's on, and daddy said it would be wonderful. We just need to take Ash with us. It's okay he's really friendly and he likes you. He'll go home and take care of things and clean up then be over later. He said he'd bring a bottle of wine. Can I go play now?"

Miles away Danny smiled after hanging up his phone. It was a special cellphone which couldn't be traced and worked almost anyplace. Intially he was concerned when Kayla called, but he was quickly relieved to hear that she wasn't just alright but baring a proposal. He didn't date much, but a second date sooner then later had to be a good thing. He happily went back to work and though his coworkers teased him he was all smiles for the rest of the day.
 
Last edited:
"Go on and play. We'll go right after school and get everything we need for a fantastic dinner." Emily said, sending Kayla on her way with a hug.

She loved that little girl. She was starting to realize that perhaps she had feelings for her father as well. Only time would tell the course that their relationship took, but Emily knew that she would always have Kayla in her life.

She started making a list of things she would pick up and a few more books that might interest Kayla. She decided on lobsters, which were fresh and in season. Some asparagus and a nice sauce would be absolutely delicious. She only hoped that Kayla wouldn't balk at the somewhat exotic and grownup food that she would be preparing. Somehow, she thought that she wouldn't mind.
 
The rest of the day went well for Danny with smile on his face and a spring in his step. It was noticed by anyone who knew the man. He was always about business, and never had a unkind word to say about anyone. He didn't have much to say period, but it was clear the man was happy without even having to say a word.

On the ride home he talked to his deceased love. He wasn't sure if he was talking to her as much as clearing his mind and justifying what was happening to himself. Emily seemed like such a good woman, and even though he'd run a background check on her the fact that Kayla liked her would have been enough. He had reservations, but he knew she'd tell him to be happy with someone else. They'd only had a short time, so there was no reason for him not to enjoy a long time with someone else. After all this was just dinner not marriage.

https://youtu.be/i-gyZ35074k


At home he took care of all the chores and took care of the animals. It was a good life here. Originally he'd planned to relocate every few years and change names just because, but while he could walk away from things without at thought now he was a father. Funny he never thought of himself having that roll in life, but he'd changed so much why not add another roll to who he was in life. Being a lover and even husband could be one he could grow to love. Emily didn't know what she was getting into though, and before long he had to be honest with the woman and hope and pray she didn't run.

While he was in the shower he let himself think about the things he didn't want to deal with. He'd killed more people then most soldiers would in a life time. Some would describe him as a murder or serial killer, but part of him knew he was better then that. He'd stopped playing their games. He'd walked away, and while he'd always remain ready he would be a good man.

After dressing in what Kayla referred too as one of his "nice" sweaters and new jeans he checked the property once more before setting up the alarm system. With wine and snacks in a cooler including something for Ash Kayla's beloved furry protector, and three weapons concealed on his person he drove out towards Emily Carter's family home. it was a habit and while he trusted this woman all to often he'd learned to expect the unexpected. He only need to look at the map once and knew three ways to get to her house. It was a natural ability he had, but part of him thought it just came all to easy in this case.

The rest of the day for Kayla was about keeping her focus while she waited for the school day to end. She loved her father and the prospect of her getting to spend time with him and her favorite teacher was beyond exciting. She wanted her father to be happy, and she loved the idea of it being with her favorite person. He'd spent so much time alone, and she remembered even in the beginning it was awkward. For a man skilled at so many things he struggled.

In time though he learned how to raise a little girl the way she was sure her mother could be proud. He read her stories, taught her to cook, and love animals. Every joy she knew he'd gone without growing up she knew he'd made sure she enjoyed. She knew she was different then her peers, but she liked that because it meant she was more like her father.

So when Mrs. Carter came out of school she saw Kayla waiting patiently by the car Ash standing next to her as always. The dog walked up and sniffed the woman, but once he was satisfied she wasn't a threat he sat back and offered her paw to shake.

Kayla looked on and giggled. "Daddy taught him that. He only does that with people he likes."
 
"Well, I'm glad that he likes me." Emily said as she shook Ash's paw and then opened the backdoor for Kayla and Ash to climb in. "Buckle up. We'll stop at the library first and then to the store."

When they got to the library, Emily picked up a few books that she had been looking at for a while and she suggested to Kayla a few books that were harder for her. The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Little Women were soon added to the pile and Kayla looked incredibly happy.

"If you can handle those two, then we'll look at some of the other classics." Emily said with a grin as they checked out their books and soon were on the way to the store.

"I think we'll do chicken tonight. How about you go and get us something for dessert? Chocolate cake might be nice with some vanilla ice cream." She suggested, giving the responsibility to Kayla that most adults never would have.
 
http://spiritofmaat.com/announce/images/ann_colombiamap.jpg
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...hieftan.png/revision/latest?cb=20120921135035


At the library Kayla was happily remembered by Mrs. York who said Kayla and her fathers were regulars when they first came to town. Danny would use the computer while Kayla read children's books. She knew the little girl was much smarter, but she said she wanted to look at nice happy books for a change. Mrs. York said she read A Bear Called Paddington to her a few times. Said it was one her mother liked reading to her when she was little and her father wasn't around.

Kayla added a few books to the pile herself including one about Native Tribes in South America. Kayla happily opened the book to a chapter on the U'wa tribe an indigenous tribe located deep inside the Colombian rain forest. "Daddy knows them. He was there for construction and got to know them. They said he was a great warrior."

She went back and began selecting other books before they had a solid pile to take out to the car. They next headed to the store where they went shopping. Kayla explained that she normally went to the buy in bulk places with her father, and they also did a lot of trading with people which was fun. He did other shopping before coming home from work so it was nice to do it with her teacher. Ash impatiently paced back in forth outside the store window. He was friendly to children, but otherwise watchful.

As Kayla was heading back with the cake and ice cream she ran into someone she knew and began talking with the woman. On closer viewing it was Eve Addams stripper, party girl, and to most women in the community the local skank. She had a fur coat but it was draped over her shopping cart so she could show off her silicone breasts in a purple tank top and arms which were covered in tattoos. She kept talking to Kayla, but looked up and smiled at Emily when she came over towards the pair.

"Hey I'm Eve. I was just talking to little Kayla. He dad is just best. I think I started breaking stuff at my place to get him to come over to fix things. Helped him with her hair a few times, but he knows his stuff. So are you like the girlfriend now or can I still have him over to ah work on stuff."

She smiled over at Emily like the Cheshire cat and flung back her blond hair.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SXTLrhTX9...AQU/_jklcl-43xc/s1600/Women-sleeve-tattoo.jpg
 
Last edited:
When Emily saw Kayla talking to Eve Addams, she knew that there might be trouble. Eve had never been horrible to her, but she knew her reputation and she knew that Kayla didn't need to be associated with her. As she drew close to the both of them with her shopping cart, she was stunned to hear Eve ask her if she were Danny's girlfriend.

Danny had never mentioned having a relationship with Eve. He had never mentioned asking Eve for help with Kayla either. It wasn't really her business since they had both just met, but Emily felt like she had been kicked hard in the gut by the woman that was standing in front of her. Just when she thought that something good was happening, this came along to snap her into reality.

"Well, not really his girlfriend. We're just friends." Emily said as she saw Kayla watching her closely.
 
Kayla wasn't aware of any of the tension and spoke a few words to Eve about the dogs and other things that were innocent enough before she said to the little girl, "well tell your daddy I said hi and he can come to the club any time he wants my treat. Oh and I am reading more stuff besides romance novels honey."

Kayla replied back, "good," before giving the woman a hug which she happily returned.

She walked passed Emily and whispered in her ear, " I wish he was my friend. He's so sweet even if he didn't talk much. He did a lot of work at the club and my house. Traded for babysitting and stuff like that. He broke my ex-husband's arm after he hit me when I got the house in the divorce. I offered him well more, but he said he didn't like men who were mean to women. Good luck too you."

She meant the Great North Bar which was not far from the truck stop on the way into town. It did a steady business with truckers, oil rig workers, and others passing through the town. She'd just told Kayla she waitressed at a bar for adults only. The girls at the club remembered a polite and respectful man who treated them like women not pieces of meat.
 
Last edited:
Emily watched as Eve went on her way, thinking about how she had made a judgement so quickly about the woman that she barely knew. It wasn't anything against Eve. She simply didn't know Danny well enough to be able to make a decision about his past. Shaking herself from her thoughts, she looked down towards Kayla and took the cake and ice cream that she had picked out.

"I think this will be delicious." Emily said with a smile to the little girl. "I've got all that I need to cook. Are you ready to get going?"
 
Kayla nodded and walk with Emily to the front of the store to pay. She didn't stay there long and ran out to the front window to wave to Ash her beloved husky. He wagged his tale and pushed his nose against the glass which only made her cheer more. It was a charming moment that more then a few people caught notice of before leaving the store.

Danny would have as well if he'd been there, but he'd already prepared for his date in the fashion normally did any job. He scouted the whole neighborhood where Emily lived discretely run a background check on her and her father, and setup escape routes. If this had been assignment weapons would have been stashed, a safe house setup, and little Kayla far away and safe. He had to remind himself that this was only a date, and not another assassination. He so hoped Emily would be the kind of person he could be open with.

He'd had a hard time connecting with any women after Diane was killed. He as always worried about letting the women know the truth about him and his daughter. Even if they might want accept it and live with a man who'd killed for a shadowy agency there was the danger. He didn't want to think of Emily waking up one morning to a SWAT team clad in black breaking down her door asking questions you had no answers too.

The important thing was to take things one step at a time and that is what he was going to do. So he drove around a bit and arrived at Emily's house not long after she pulled in with Kayla. He headed to the door with flowers and a backpack slung over his shoulder.
 
Emily carried in the groceries and started dinner as she told Kayla to go out in the yard to play with her dog. She could hear the little girl laughing and playing through the open French doors. It made her smile to know that Kayla found joy in such a simple task. It was a place where a little girl could be a child and not have to worry about anything.

Emily was just starting the vegetables when she heard a knock at the door and she hurried to answer. She gave a grin to Danny as she welcomed him inside, taking the flowers that he offered and smelling them.

"These are beautiful, Danny. Thank you." She said with a smile as she showed him into the living room. "You can make yourself at home here or you can feel free to give me a hand in the kitchen. I've just about got everything on cooking. Kayla is outside playing with the dog in the backyard."
 
"I"m glad you like them. Not many choices here, but still very pretty ones. So this is your family home? I mean you grew up here, " he asked looking around the place with his usual security checks as he followed her into the kitchen. He did smile seeing her fridge was covered with drawings and notes from the children.

"Well Kayla says you're a great teacher and it seems there are plenty of others who think so too."

He gently touched her shoulder as he walked passed her and out the French doors. He watched Kayla playing with the dog and when Ash came back he ended up knocking her over. She giggled as she playfully rolled around with until she looked up and saw him.

"Daddy!" With that she jumped up and ran over with Ash following closely. Danny picked her up and hugged her tightly.

Once he put her back down again he listened to her talk about the day and then she looked into the kitchen and back at him and said, "you brought flowers that was good daddy she likes flowers. See I told you you could be a good boyfriend."

For being such a unexpressive man Kayla managed to make him blush. He glanced to see if Emily was listening and then he looked back at Kayla and said, "we're just having dinner with a friend of the family pumpkin."

"Ah okay sure. Ash likes her a lot though."

"Is that so well did he tell you that?"

"Yeah in his own way I guess. Oh ah she got to meet Ms. Adams you know the nice lady who baby sat for me and has the tattoos and the big..."

"Hair," Danny said interrupting his daughter. "I remember her she's a nice lady, and she took good care of you and the dogs. I will have to call her."

With that Danny petted the dog, hugged his daughter, and walked back into the house. If that situation hadn't made Emily rethink things well it seemed she was interested. Still though he felt the need to explain when he rejoined Emily in the kitchen.

"You seem to keep bumping into our former babysitters. About Eve well she's not well your typical babysitting type, but we traded favors. I mean needed a babysitter and her place needed repairs. She kept dogs we keep dogs. Diane wasn't always free, and well she's a good person and since she worked nights she was around. We really are just friends."

She worked nights as a stripper and shots girl. Danny had met her doing the plumping at the club where she worked. She'd never seen a man be so respectful in a place where so many felt they had license to be jerks. Never mind she watched a man work as his daughter sat and read books while sitting on his tool box. A cup of coffee had turned into a friendship, and for once in a long time Eve Adams respected a guy who truly just wanted to be friends.
 
"Yeah, this is the house I grew up in. My dad gave it to me when he decided that he wanted to live on his boat. It has a lot of good memories for me." Emily said with a smile towards Danny as he asked about the house. "I just finished renovating it a few months ago, so it's all practically new. It was a labor of love for me."

Emily watched out the window as Danny went to interact with Kayla. It was clear that the little girl loved her father and it made Emily smile to watch the two of them interact. She tried not to listen to their conversation, but it made her laugh again as Kayla made him blush. She would never have guessed that Danny was a man that got embarrassed, but when he blushed, she found it incredibly charming.

"I thought that I knew everyone here in town having grown up here." Emily said as she glanced towards Danny. "But I am constantly surprised by the people that I don't know. It's good to know your neighbors and they seem to think the world of you."
 
Danny smiled as he listened to Emily looking around her lovely kitchen. He smiled as she mentioned neighbors and said, "I've spent a lot of time traveling without Kayla and well you learn how to judge people. There are a lot of bad ones."

For a moment he flashed back to over a dozen killings he'd down around the globe using everything from knives to high powered rifles. He never knew the reasons they needed to be killed. They were all bad people though, but to him he was sent an information packet, and went about his work. Later on the only thing that changed was the money, and calling Kayla every day telling her about how he was having a nice time and getting enough rest.

He came back to reality though and nodded and said, "but well when I meet nice ones well I like to keep them close. Kayla thinks the world of you and well I'd like to get to know you better too Emily. I can only let you know so much right now, but I promise you that you know all the important stuff. "

He walked over to the French doors and looked out at Kayla now playing on what was probably Emily's childhood swing set. She was trying to get Ash to try the slide which made him laugh. Seemed Emily's father had taken care of it over the years. He then turned back to look at her.

"So while she's busy ask away and well let's talk about getting to know each other," he said with one of his rare smiles.
 
Emily glanced towards Danny as he watched Kayla playing outside on her swing set. She could never bring herself to take down the old swing set that had brought her so many moments of joy when she was a little girl. It has been her refuge when her parents had been fighting and the place that she would run to when she didn't want to go see her mother.

"Well, you can ask me whatever you like." Emily said with a grin as she checked on the cooking chicken and moved to make them a fresh salad. "You know, I really do like you, Danny. I adore Kayla. She is one of the smartest students that I've ever had."
 
"Well that's important because if you didn't like Kayla I wouldn't want to get to know you. I mean well I need Kayla to have a mom and I don't think I can do everything. I try but well she needs someone who was a girl. I think you're wonderful, smart, and beautiful. I want to make a life here, and this is a lot happening at once but well..."

He paused and walked over by the doors and looked out a Kayla happily swinging. "I did some very bad things to very bad people for a long time. I didn't have a choice in it and when I did it was all I knew. I protected Kayla from all of it. She was always cared for by others away from it all. I know I raised her like a boy and well keep everything on a schedule, but it's the only way I know to raise a kid."

He paused for a moment and looked at Emily. "You're lovely and I want to see what could blossom with us, but I have a past and I want you to know my history. There is more when you want to know about it you ask okay?"
 
"Danny, we all have a past." Emily said as she looked towards him. "It might be good and it might be bad, but it's always in the past. There's no need to worry about what I think."

She gave him a smile as he said that he liked her and wanted to see what blossomed between the both of them. She nodded, laughing brightly at the idea of exploring with Danny. He was a nice guy, one that she wanted to keep as at least a friend. Especially if it meant keeping Kayla in her life. She adored that little girl with all of her heart.

"When it's time, I'll ask. Until then, I think it's important to keep talking." Emily said as she pulled out the roasted chicken, making sure that it was cooked properly. "Exploring with one another. Then, if things get serious, we'll know just what we want."
 
Back
Top