I am Music

I dunno. Maybe my testosterone is low today or something. I am an aging male, y'know. It ain't the kids those Viagra commercials are targeting.

Anyways, I'm kind of feeling Polly Jean today. Or maybe it's I'd like to feel up Polly Jean. I get confused. I don't get the Playtex dishpan hands glove thing, but as Dave says, "Like those shoes."

Here's PJ with the truly weird Björk (quick—name someone else, anyone else who's from Iceland) doing a really interesting cover of the Stones "Satisfaction." No, I don't get Björk's hair either.
 
Tristesse2 said:
Hey, Tessie. Both of these are hilarious. The boys prolly wouldn't like that assessment of the first vid, though. I wouldn't have either, at the time but, oh how does time change perspective. Uh, uh, uh. Let's say different.

I do, though, lament all those (likely) pre-CBS Stratocasters that Petey is happily mashing on the stage. Those babies, 'specially if authenticated to having been played by Mr. Pete, would be worth now, oh hell, like effin' scads of money.

Way things go, I guess.

I hope when I am that other guy's age that I can still kick over a drum set. God. I already want to.

Rock on. :cool:
 
ty ange

Angeline said:

have watched the movie many times and have all of Alison Krauss as well . I grew
up where blue grass and fiddles were played in church on Sunday gospel sings
and my uncle played much blue grass...am a great fan of Scaggs and his genre...
I like this alt song...

mavericks
 
bluerains said:
have watched the movie many times and have all of Alison Krauss as well . I grew
up where blue grass and fiddles were played in church on Sunday gospel sings
and my uncle played much blue grass...am a great fan of Scaggs and his genre...
I like this alt song...

mavericks

You're very welcome, Blue. :rose:

I have to get a copy of that dvd; I love the music in it, especially Alison Krauss's Down to the River.

Here's another band that I love, Iron and Wine, who I had never heard of until crackerjackhrt recommended them to ee and me. Beautiful harmonies!
 
Last edited:
Tristesse2 said:
For Ange - the artist not the sentiment. :) :rose:

*Sigh*

Isn't that just a gorgeous thing to behold? That is the very clip that inspired me to write Lady's Blues in Winter. I read an article by Leonard Feather, the late, great jazz critic and historian, who I believe directed that film, The Sound of Jazz. He said there wasn't a dry eye in the sound booth after they filmed that song. Apparently it was the first time Lady and Prez had worked together in many years--and also the last time as they were both gone within two years of the taping.

And here's your thank-you gift, my dear PoeTess, a lovely jam session. You'll note that the advertised "Charlie Parker" is nowhere to be found in this clip. I think that's Flip Phillips on the second tenor.

:kiss:
 
Darn you, Tess!

Now you've got me going on the YouTube jazz clips! :D

Here is a clip of the marvelous Johnny Hodges playing Isfahan from Ellington's Far East Suite. But what I want to know is why is Duke holding the sheet music for Johhny? Couldn't they afford a music stand????
 
Ange - you need to search for Paul Weller in his 'Paul Weller' album days - acid jazz is what you need, not all this 'shitty jazz'.

Oh, and hi. It's been like, 2 years... how iz ya, sista??
 
Kate.E said:
Ange - you need to search for Paul Weller in his 'Paul Weller' album days - acid jazz is what you need, not all this 'shitty jazz'.

Oh, and hi. It's been like, 2 years... how iz ya, sista??

Gerroff! I don't like acid jazz. It sux. :p
 
Angeline said:
Now you've got me going on the YouTube jazz clips! :D

Here is a clip of the marvelous Johnny Hodges playing Isfahan from Ellington's Far East Suite. But what I want to know is why is Duke holding the sheet music for Johhny? Couldn't they afford a music stand????

Sorry 'bout that - no I'm not! More, more!


(btw - as much as I love your "Lady's Blues" poem I'd love to see the jam session too if you still have the link handy. (I'm listening to Birth of the Cool right now.)
 
Kate.E said:
Ange - you need to search for Paul Weller in his 'Paul Weller' album days - acid jazz is what you need, not all this 'shitty jazz'.

Oh, and hi. It's been like, 2 years... how iz ya, sista??


Yikes!
 
That's ok. He left that alone long ago when he redefined it.

Start listening to some decent music and move on, eh?
 
Tristesse2 said:
Sorry 'bout that - no I'm not! More, more!


(btw - as much as I love your "Lady's Blues" poem I'd love to see the jam session too if you still have the link handy. (I'm listening to Birth of the Cool right now.)

The jam session is the one that had the all-star cast doing Fine and Mellow that you linked. Anything from that Sound of Jazz documentary is great. It includes, in addition to that song with Billie, a set with an expanded Cound Basie Orchestra, Jimmy Rushing, Thelonius Monk, and I forget who all else. :)

I was just watching this take of It Don't Mean a Thing from the 1958 tour of Jazz at the Philharmonic. Look who's in it: Ella, Oscar Peterson, Jo Jones, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Stuff Smith, Roy Eldridge. It's a poem!
 
Saxophone

is my favorite Jazz instrument, melancholy, moody, sexy....and although I adore Coltrane and Lester Young, I must sheepishly admit this is still my favorite saxophone riff....(of course, there's a sentimental story behind it.. ;) )

For Star
 
He was still finding his feet in those days. After Style Council, into Paul Weller Movement, not many of his own songs...
I do like the naievety of his early Jam covers, but most of them now, he duets with other 'younger' bands.

He did three nights in NY recently, showcasing a lot of his earlier recording to promote 'Hit Parade'.

'Wild Wood' - from 1993 (which should be on youtube) is well woth listening to.

:)
 
Back
Top