How old were you when you came out?

deliciously_naughty

One Sexy Mama
Out of curiousity...how old were you when you came out

to your friends?

to your family?

And how did they take it?

To answer...I was 20/21 when I came out to my friends and family. My friends were like "duh". My aunt was cool with it. My mom was cool with it in a living in denial kind of way.

Hmmmm I only recently and finally came out to myself.

I think I will put this hurdle off for a bit.

*sigh*

deliciously_naughty said:

to your friends?

to your family?

To answer...I was 20/21 when I came out to my friends and family. My friends were like "duh". My aunt was cool with it. My mom was cool with it in a living in denial kind of way.

I think that by the time I finished high school it was the worst kept secret in town, but when I got to college I just opened up and not only came out, but really flaunted it.

That Christmas, when I was 18, was the first time I ever actually talked to my parents about it, but by then it had become obvious.

Years later, my mother told me that when I was 16 or 17 she had found a notebook where I had written down some of my erotic fantasies, and that she and my father had discussed the possibility that it was more than a passing fancy for me then.

MissTaken said:
Hmmmm I only recently and finally came out to myself.

I think I will put this hurdle off for a bit.

*sigh*

MissTaken, coming out is not required!

Only do it if and when you feel it would create a net positive effect in your life.

Came out to myself when I was 18. Then my friends were told shortly after. Some made fun of me becasue they thought I was a dyke, and so they weren't friends anymore. Some were accepting, even though it made them a bit uncomfortable. And some were completely fine with it.

I still have not yet come out to family, and I don't really see the need at the moment. They have enough to deal with, and it's not killing me to not tell them.

I was 16. It was not voluntary. I was having regular sexual encounters with a man in my neighborhood. He was also having sex with another boy from the block, and that boy told his parents. My parents, knowing that I spent a lot of time at the man's house, confronted him and he confessed to them what was going on.

I was fifteen. It was quite accidental - my mum found me in bed with my girlfriend. And I'd told my friends when I was 14, so it seems I was an early developer, hehe :p

I realized I was at least bisexual in high school, when I was about 13 or 14. I realized I was a lesbian just after I turned 17, when I met my girlfriend. I came out to my parents a year later, when I was 18. I've always been out to my friends ever since figuring it out myself at 17.

I only acknowledged the fact that I'm a lesbian about 10 months ago, at 22. Shortly after that I came out to the majority of my friends. Those that dont know are ones I just dont talk to much anymore.
No one in my family knows. I want to tell my mom but i know she will tell my dad and im just not ready for him to know as long as I am living at home. To him I'm still "daddy's little girl" and it will crush him.
So...thats my story.

I’m 29 and in just the last year I have came out to a few friends. So far all has been ok with it.
Now as for my parents I have tried starting the conversation. And just last month my mom and little sister were over here. My little sister was like why do you have a “alternative” magazine. (I had forgot that it was out) I just looked at my mom and she said I’m not ready to deal with it. I have enough going on right now. So it was left at that.

I was about 18 when I had something of a clue.

I was about 20 when I told my mom and my immediate friends.

No huge fallout, luckily.

coming out

14 when i came out to myself. I don't know who knows and don't care anyway.

deliciously_naughty said:

to your friends?

to your family?

I was 16 years old when i came out to my mom...i brought my g/f at the time home to meet her!! My mother was (and is) very loving and supportive of what ever decisions i make so there was never any fall out from her.

I came out to my friends at around the same time. Those who could handle it...well they are still my friends. Those who could not...i cut the string and moved on. Most people where i lived were aware of it by about the same time as my fam and friends, though. I went to school with my gurl and we never hid our relationship...

The only people i worry about telling are my children...though they know mommy likes girls ALOT. I don't want to hurt them or cause them distress so i kinda maintain a lil fiction with them...but not for too much longer...(I hope)

Re: Re: How old were you when you came out?

apet4you said:
I was 16 years old when i came out to my mom...i brought my g/f at the time home to meet her!! My mother was (and is) very loving and supportive of what ever decisions i make so there was never any fall out from her.

I came out to my friends at around the same time. Those who could handle it...well they are still my friends. Those who could not...i cut the string and moved on. Most people where i lived were aware of it by about the same time as my fam and friends, though. I went to school with my gurl and we never hid our relationship...

The only people i worry about telling are my children...though they know mommy likes girls ALOT. I don't want to hurt them or cause them distress so i kinda maintain a lil fiction with them...but not for too much longer...(I hope)

I'll bet that when you do sit down to talk to them about it, they will understand a lot more than you expect them too.

Re: Re: Re: How old were you when you came out?

Queersetti said:
I'll bet that when you do sit down to talk to them about it, they will understand a lot more than you expect them too.

I have awesome children..and we have a very open trusting relationship. I don't doubt for a minute that they will understand, i just don't want what i do to have a negative effect on them in their formative years...(my son who is almost 13 knows...but my lil girls 9 and 5 respectively don't). I know children understand more than the average adult gives them credit for but i wanna wait until they are lil older or at least until they start asking questions!!!
PET:rose:

:D 16? I came out to my friends.. My parent's either.. don't know.. or don't want to know.. so don't ask questions.. and I don't volunteer anything... sooooo.... Yeah!:cool:

I was just 17 when I had my first girlfriend.... I was 19 when I came out to my parents.... I am 21 now, and everything is going pretty well. They took it a lot better than I ever expected... my mom and dad go party with me at the gay bars. :)

I realize I am a lot more fortunate than many of my close friends. They love my parents too... they're almost like substitute parents for my friends that lost theirs. :) It's a neat situation, really.

I had my first female lover at 17. I did not hide it from anyone. I took her home to meet the parents and they were ok with it. At the time they were far more concerned that I sober up. I've never been really good at hiding who I am sexually.

hi

Cute quiz but it wouldn"t give me an answer. you are very beautiful. Nice smile. Kate

I was 16. It was not voluntary. I was having regular sexual encounters with a man in my neighborhood. He was also having sex with another boy from the block, and that boy told his parents. My parents, knowing that I spent a lot of time at the man's house, confronted him and he confessed to them what was going on.

i also had a relationship with an older man when i was young, younger than you in fact, and have wanted to talk about for some time. i have hesitated for reasons that are, or will be, obvious but i always felt it was important, if only to get it out, because it isn't typical. i don't condone or justify it in any way, let's be straight about that, and would hope my experiences remain my own and never someone else's.

i was reading at above college level by the 5th grade, which led to me being tested and the discovery i have an IQ well above average. This doesn't mean much except that with it i also was determined to have ama

I was 22 although had been attracted to women for some time and already had had a girlfriend. Went to a women's camp saw lots of openly out lesbians and decided that if they could do it so could I. Friends and family took it quite well and surprisingly enough the ones I didn't think would were amongst the best. Only one I'd say is uncomfortable with it and we are not as close as we were but still have a friendship.

Now I face coming out to them all over again as a bisexual at 47! I'm expecting lots of questions as to the why's but not sure even I know that.

Back