Out On The Cutting Edge

J

JAMESBJOHNSON

OUT ON THE CUTTING EDGE by Lawrence Block.

This book is like #9 of the Matt Scudder series.

Matt Scudder is a former police detective who killed a child and crawled inside a bottle for several years. He abandoned his wife and kids. And keeps a room in a flop house. He's now in Alcohols Anonymous and makes a few bucks doing private investigations.

The Story:

Mom and Dad hire Matt to find their daughter who left their Indiana farm to be an actress in New York City. Matt spends many weeks looking for the daughter without result. He goes back to attending AA meetings and getting involved in the lives of former drunks. He takes up with a woman whos a former communist and nasty drunk. She makes a living doing plumbing.

I wont spill the beans but the book is an expose of serial murders and assassinations in the Big Apple. It answers the question: How do you get Granny Grunt outta her rent controlled apartment and 51 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER....a knife in the back, Jack!

There's too much AA in it for my taste. It seems like filler and word packing after a while. The ending is an abrupt accounting of all the murders and quick confrontations with the killers. I guessed the end wrong.

The book would be better had Block spent more pages detailing the killers, and fewer pages detailing AA meetings that are irrelevant to the story. This is a common complaint about Block. Its a subplot that wags the story.

The main part of the story sounds interesting, but the meetings don't. I've read too many books where the ending is over-quickly done or anti-climatic. Heck, I've rushed the end of a story or two here just to get it done.

As I remember in James Lee Burke's stories about Dave Robicheaux, he spends time in AA in some stories, but they're always short and sweet and never in the way. I feel like he threw them in to show that the character was still struggling with that demon as well as what else was going on in the story.

The main part of the story sounds interesting, but the meetings don't. I've read too many books where the ending is over-quickly done or anti-climatic. Heck, I've rushed the end of a story or two here just to get it done.

As I remember in James Lee Burke's stories about Dave Robicheaux, he spends time in AA in some stories, but they're always short and sweet and never in the way. I feel like he threw them in to show that the character was still struggling with that demon as well as what else was going on in the story.

Too much AA is a frequent complaint of Lawrence Block. AA members are like that, they obsess about AA and recruit more than al Qaeda.

Back