How Do I Add Special Formatting...

Wkd_Macey

Miss
Hi all.
I'm looking for a FAQ on how to add Special Formatting, like Bold, Underline, Italic, etc. to parts of a story for submission.

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but now I go looking for it I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone confirm... is it the same as entering (say) Bold in a PM or a Public Post,
where you enclose the required text with an open bracket ([), then a 'B', then a close bracket (])... in front,
... then an open bracket ([), then a '/', then a 'B', then a close bracket (])... behind?

If that's correct, can I just add that formatting to a plain text submission (in the text panel)
or does it have to be submitted as a text file, or RTF document?

Thanks.
Macey :)

Hi all.
I'm looking for a FAQ on how to add Special Formatting, like Bold, Underline, Italic, etc. to parts of a story for submission.

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but now I go looking for it I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone confirm... is it the same as entering (say) Bold in a PM or a Public Post,
where you enclose the required text with an open bracket ([), then a 'B', then a close bracket (])... in front,
... then an open bracket ([), then a '/', then a 'B', then a close bracket (])... behind?

If that's correct, can I just add that formatting to a plain text submission (in the text panel)
or does it have to be submitted as a text file, or RTF document?

Thanks.
Macey :)

You have a couple of options. One is to do the formatting in a RTF or Word document and then submit that document, using the Notes field to mention the formatting. In my experience this usually goes through as intended but occasionally gets garbled.

The other is to code it directly. This is similar to formatting forum/PM posts, but uses <angle brackets> instead of [square ones]. <b>Bold text</b>, <i>italic</i>, etc. You can use the Preview button to check this.

One caveat: if Lit puts a page break in the middle of formatted text, formatting might break. You can get around this by tagging each line individually; for example, if you have several paragraphs of italic text, do <i>paragraph of stuff</i> for each one.

And yes, there is a FAQ somewhere around, but I don't have the link handy. If you don't get a reply here, try asking on Authors' Hangout.

Be aware that not all reader devices support all html formatting - Kindle's page reader, for example, loses the plot with centering - it completely loses everything after the first center break.

Androids, phones, etc... seem to do different things with the html code, so you don't really know how your text will actually appear unless you tested every device.

Italics, bold and underlined seems to be mostly okay, and I've seen graphics and language scripts on my Kindle, but I don't read on a phone.

LIT allows a very few HTML tags for formatting which work on most major big-device browsers but not necessarily on other platforms. You're best off being as vanilla as possible. Italicized and underlined passages longer than a couple sentences are hard to read. You can do a lot with a standard character set. CAPS ARE AS LOUD AS BOLDS. <Angle brackets may mark foreign speech.> Periods. Make. One. Stop. And. Read.

I tried format tricks that worked horribly. Never again. Keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks Everyone

You have a couple of options. One is to do the formatting in a RTF or Word document and then submit that document, using the Notes field to mention the formatting. In my experience this usually goes through as intended but occasionally gets garbled.

The other is to code it directly. This is similar to formatting forum/PM posts, but uses <angle brackets> instead of [square ones]. <b>Bold text</b>, <i>italic</i>, etc. You can use the Preview button to check this.

One caveat: if Lit puts a page break in the middle of formatted text, formatting might break. You can get around this by tagging each line individually; for example, if you have several paragraphs of italic text, do <i>paragraph of stuff</i> for each one.

And yes, there is a FAQ somewhere around, but I don't have the link handy. If you don't get a reply here, try asking on Authors' Hangout.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this and offer solutions.

I think I'll have a go with Bramblethorn's suggestion to Code it Directly, as there are only sub-headings that I want to embolden (is that a word? ;))

As it's a story submission, I wanted to avoid the pain of waiting three of four days only to find I've put a lot of gibberish online. If the preview works, then that should be my solution ;)

if I remember, I'll report back here to say how well it worked (or didn't ;))

Thanks again to all.
Macey.

You can also search for instances of all text in italics, bold, underlined, etc and enclose them in html tags using Find and Replace in Word (directions HERE). Even if you're not using Word, most programs have Advanced Find and Replace options. Good luck!

You can also search for instances of all text in italics, bold, underlined, etc and enclose them in html tags using Find and Replace in Word (directions HERE). Even if you're not using Word, most programs have Advanced Find and Replace options. Good luck!

Thank you Alice :) x

Back