Far from Home

BornYesterday

Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Posts
205
Far from Home (closed)

[Closed, forgot to note it in the title]

Richard van Leeuwen glanced around his small office, then down to the bustling street below before he focused on the message in his hand in annoyance. His fiancée would be arriving on the morning train in two days and they would meet for the first time. Then he would have to be involved in planning the wedding, as he knew his father would insist on inviting most of San Francisco society to use Richard's wedding to improve the family's social position. It was almost an obsession for Franklin, but Richard never saw the point. Wealth brought respect, he felt, not marrying some English girl because she was descended from a lord or something. What did titles mean in America?

Franklin, however, would not budge. He had sat Richard down on the sofa in the parlor of the family home and said, "Son, you will marry and marry well. What else you do is your own affair. If you want to have a mistress in Chinatown, I don't care. But you will marry a woman from a good family who can give you a son to carry on the family name. End of discussion." His father stood up, and Richard knew better than to argue with him when he used that tone.

He let his father negotiate with the Worthington family. He knew enough of these things to understand that it would involve his father sending a considerable sum to the Worthington family, and in return they would put Alice Claire on a ship to New York, where she would board the train across the continent. Pictures had been exchanged during the negotiations, so he knew Alice was an attractive, dark-haired girl with a pleasant smile. There was nothing wrong with her exactly; Richard just wasn't interested in marriage, or at least not with a stranger. They'd exchanged letters during the betrothal, but he still didn't know her. Not like he knew Virginia, but he knew better than to suggest marrying her. It was impossible.

And that brought him to this message delivered to his office and now crushed in his broad palm. Richard sighed and leaned back in his desk chair, toying absently with his neatly trimmed black beard. He'd just have to make the best of it: send a man to meet Alice at the station and bring her back to the house, arrange for dinner with her, and try to make her feel at home. If he were lucky, she'd be able to make most of the decisions for the wedding, the ones his father was willing to leave up to them, and he could focus on more important matters. At least her clothes would be easy enough; the family department store could provide everything she would need.

And when they were married...well, nothing really had to change, did it? He had to get married and provide for her, and he supposed he had to get her with child at some point, but that was all. He didn’t have to love her. They’d have her family connections, which is what his father wanted. Richard shrugged and dropped the message on his desk. In two days he would deal with Alice Claire Worthington. At that moment, he didn’t care to devote much thought to her.
 
Last edited:
Alice Claire Worthington

They were minutes away now, only minutes away from everything that would change her life forever. Alice Claire Worthington gazed out the window of the luxury passenger cabin aboard the Southern Pacific Railway, unseeing through chocolate brown eyes at the passing California landscape. Strange, she thought, how quickly time passes and even more so the changes it brings. A little over a year ago she would never have imagined her life would take her so far away from home. Her story up until that point had been quite regular and unassuming.

She had been born the second child and only daughter of a wealthy and respectable family in England. Lord Henry Augustus Worthington, cousin to the Duke of Somerset, had been her father. Despite his many titles and his reserved British manner Alice remembered him as a kind, loving man who had always lovingly doted upon his only daughter. Then he had died; leaving her older brother Thomas to oversee the family businesses. After a series of bad investments and his mismanagement of their holdings, it hadn’t been long before their family fortune had begun to run dry. Their family name and connections had proven to be enough to keep them in good social standing for a time. But, as her brother continued to scrape the very bottom of their family coffers in his efforts to regain their previous wealth through new investments, it had become clear that it would not be enough and another solution was needed.

The easiest and most practical solution - as well as the most obvious - would be for Alice to marry. Lady Phillipa Worthington, Alice’s mother, could hardly deny that the offer of her young and beautiful daughter’s hand in marriage would attract the right kind of suitor. A marriage contract to the right family would not only elicit a bride price suitable enough to bolster the Worthington fortune, but also would ensure Alice’s security in years to come. When her son had entered into negotiations on the matter with the wealthy american Van Leeuwen family, Lady Phillipa had not protested despite her daughter's reservations.

Elizabeth Newland had offered to finance the bridal trousseau as she was godmother to Alice, as well as her mother’s second cousin, dearest friend and closet confidant. Though Thomas had argued such extravagance was unnecessary - since the Van Leeuwens owned a department store and would be more than capable of providing whatever items Alice would require - her mother had insisted upon their acceptance of her friends’ offer; unwilling to have her daughter arrive at her new family’s door hat in hand like a common beggar. At Elizabeth’s behest and under her mother’s careful guidance, Alice had spent months amassing a vast inventory of stockings, gloves and hats, along with many other items. There were monogrammed linens, hand-embroidered tablecloths, opulent bedding, chests filled with lace and exquisite silks, fine china, silver flatware, crystal stemware and bejeweled accessories aplenty. Naturally, her wedding gown along with numerous other dresses for every imaginable occasion had been imported from Paris. The ivory silk pique travelling dress she currently wore had been among their many acquisitions. Every item had been selected with the utmost care, every detail orchestrated to absolute perfection to ensure the best possible start in her new marital life.

After their engagement had been made official Alice had written to Richard at the urging of her mother. He had responded with the expected kindness and courtesy of one in his position, yet to Alice his words had seemed somewhat distant and lacking in enthusiasm. Her own correspondence was - of course - closely monitored by her mother, thereby making it difficult for her to make her thoughts plain to her intended. Alice wondered if it were possible that Richard was equally as apprehensive about their impending nuptials as she was herself; she supposed it was unfair to expect romance from him when they had never even met.

A month ago she had boarded a steamship and set out on the two week sea crossing from Liverpool to New York. Her mother was unable to join her on the voyage; her weakened health and their failing finances were to blame. As such they agreed that Elizabeth – who was due to return home to her husband in America – would serve as Alice’s chaperone and stand as a family representative at her upcoming wedding. The van Leeuwens had spared no expense in ensuring their daughter-in-law to be travelled in both comfort and style. On their ocean voyage they had been afforded the most luxurious staterooms aboard the vessel. Upon arriving in New York, they opted to spend some time at Elizabeth’s opulent residence at 16 Washington Square before travelling onward. There Alice was privileged to witness the older woman’s interactions with her husband, business magnate Arthur Newland. The love they had for each other was obvious, despite their differences – he being the industrious american, she being the british lady of leisure. Of course theirs had been a love match, but Alice dared to hope that perhaps there was hope for her and Richard after all. Days later they had continued their journey west to California on the trans-continental railroad, this time in a first-class cabin along with three more to house Alice’s belongings.

The trains’ steady rumble slowed as it pulled into the station; its’ frame lurching as it came to stop pulling Alice from her reverie. She rose gracefully from her seat and turned to exit the cabin. Stopping briefly to adjust her gloves she flexed her fingers from within their silken confines, before lifting a hand to the netted French lace attached to her hat, lowering it across her face. Taking a deep breath she stepped from the train onto the platform, ready to face her new home and her new life.
 
Last edited:
On Wednesday morning Franklin poked his head into Richard’s office. The older Mr. van Leeuwen was a walking advertisement for the latest fashions sold in his store. This morning he was clad in a dark grey lounge suit with a white vest and boldly striped tie. An elegant Homburg completed the ensemble. His face wore a look of surprise. “Why are you still here?” he inquired, skipping any formality. “I thought Miss Worthington was arriving today.”

Richard spun his chair around to face his father, his suit a virtual copy of his father’s except in blue. “She is,” he replied calmly. “I sent Johnson to the station to pick her up.”

His father frowned. “What kind of welcome is that, Richard? You should meet your fiancée yourself.”

“Johnson’s more than capable of handling it, Father. Do you think I should be moving her baggage myself? I have too much to do to take off in the middle of the morning. Ms. Worthington will still be here come supper time. I’ve made reservations at the Palace for us. I’ll do my duty as far as she’s concerned. You need not worry about that.”

Franklin snorted. “See that you do. This wedding had better go off without a hitch,” he warned. “A van Leeuwen marrying the daughter of a lord…your grandfather never could have imagined it. You’d best make her feel at home, Richard. A homesick or hysterical girl could still cause a lot of trouble, no matter what her brother promised.” His expression softened as he looked at his son. “Marriage will be good for you, son. Your mother…well, it’s been too long since you had a woman to care for you. There’s more to life to making money, you know.”

Richard bit back the retort on his lips. Yes, there’s also social climbing. And I have a woman who would take care of me. But she’s not good enough for you. He only said, “I know what I have to do, Father. You don’t need to worry about me.” Richard sighed and rubbed his nose after his father left. Bad enough that this marriage was being arranged for him; he didn’t need his father reminding him of his obligations all the damn time.

It was a cool day for June, the wind kicking up dust and stray newspapers when Johnson entered the station to wait for the train to arrive. A servant of the van Leeuwen family for many years, Johnson was proud to be chosen to meet the young master’s new bride. A blast of the whistle announced the arrival of the train, and the engine hissed as it came to a halt at the platform. Johnson strode forward toward the alighting passengers, keeping a sharp eye out among the first-class passengers for a girl fitting the description of Alice Claire Worthington. The girl in the ivory gown seemed a likely match, though Johnson was not expecting her to be accompanied by an older woman in a rather severe dark dress.

Johnson uncertainly paused a moment, then decided he’d best inquire. He approached the younger woman, bowed, and said, “Do I have the honor to address Ms. Worthington? My name is Johnson. Mr. van Leeuwen sent me to meet you. Please forgive me, but I thought you were traveling alone.” His eyes fell on the ever-growing pile of luggage the porters were handing down from the train and piling around Miss Worthington. “Ah, I fear your, uh, baggage might be more than can be accommodated in the automobile. If you and your companion would care to wait inside the station, I’ll make arrangements for the rest of your things.”

Johnson was puzzled. Mr. van Leeuwen had said nothing about anyone accompanying Miss Worthington. And he had overheard enough of the family conversation to know that her family had fallen on hard times, and yet she seemed to have enough luggage for a duchess. Johnson was normally more comfortable with precise instructions, but this was obviously a situation that required a new plan of action. Johnson decided he would have to tip some porters to watch her possessions and find a telephone to call the young master. Richard did not care for surprises, and he would want to be informed quickly. When that was done, he could drive the young mistress and her chaperone to the family home.

Having decided on his plan, Johnson proceeded to execute it.
 
Last edited:
Richard and his family had not come to greet her at the train station as she had hoped. Instead they had opted to send a manservant to fetch her; a fine welcome indeed according to Aunt Elizabeth. Alice did her best to hide the disappointment she felt, as she offered a smile to the man who had introduced himself as Johnson.

“That you do, sir.” Alice said as she gave a slight nod. Turning to Elizabeth she continued “Please allow me to introduce my aunt and chaperone, Mrs. Elizabeth Newland.” The introduction caused Elizabeth to pause in her issuing of instructions to the porters handling their baggage, just long enough to offer Johnson a crisp nod. Alice could not help but offer an apologetic smile as she saw the look of confusion that crossed the man’s face as he took in their belongings.

As they waited inside the station hall, seated at a vantage point that allowed Elizabeth to keep an ever watchful eye on their belongings, Alice busied herself by quietly observing the people passing by. Unlike her aunt she avoided looking out at the platform. Their luggage cases in their excessive numbers had managed to attract more than a fair amount of attention. Alice felt her cheeks color at the spectacle. A thought came to her then; perhaps that was the reason Richard had chosen not to meet her here. After all a crowded train station hardly seemed a suitable place for official first introductions. Could it be that he had chosen to spare her the discomfort that a public audience would surely bring to so intimate an exchange? Alice could not help the smile that spread across her face, nor could she deny the warmth that seemed to flow through her at the thought of Richard’s consideration. Surely that was the reason; he had only wanted to spare them both the embarrassment of any awkwardness that might ensue.

It was not long before Johnson, having returned from making his arrangements, escorted them out of the train station and into a state of the art automobile. Having gingerly climbed aboard, Alice took her seat in the rear passenger cab of the four-seater vehicle. She was more than pleased when Johnson made a great show of lifting and securing the overhead canopy in place, thereby giving her delicate British complexion a much welcome escape from the intense California sun.

As they drove along the bustling streets of San Francisco towards the Van Leeuwen home, Alice decided there and then that she would be very fond of Johnson. His polite yet friendly manner was enough to put anyone at ease. So much so that to Alice’s surprise even her Aunt Elizabeth seemed to have ceased in her fretting over their luggage back at the station long enough to enquire after several landmarks and sites. Johnson – who now took on the role of tour guide as much as that of chauffeur – was more than happy to oblige.
It wasn’t long before bustling city streets gave way to quiet sandy hills accented by large stately homes. “Welcome to Pacific Heights, ladies. The Van Leeuwen home is just ahead.” Johnson declared just as the vehicle leveled out after rounding a particularly hilly corner. Picturesque that was the word that came to Alice’s mind as she took in the quiet little neighborhood. With beautiful views that stretched out over the city all the way to the Golden Gate, it was clear as to why this was where the city’s more affluent inhabitants dwelled.

The car slowed and came to a stop in front of a massive three-storey building. Johnson exited the driver’s seat and walked around to open Alice’s door, extending his hand to help her from the vehicle. Taking his hand, she stepped onto the pavement in front of the house. “Welcome home, miss.” Johnson said, smiling. Alice returned his smile before turning her attention to the highly ornamented pale sandstone exterior of the house, which seemed more like a small castle in its’ shape and size. At least Elizabeth would be able to report to Lady Phillipa that she had delivered Alice to a place of exceptional luxury befitting the standards of one of her birth.

They followed Johnson along the walkway to the wide marbled vestibule. The door opened revealing a young fresh faced maid whom Johnson addressed as Sally. Leaving the two women in what he insisted was Sally’s capable care, Johnson returned to the automobile intent on returning to the station to collect their belongings. Sally wasted no time in ushering them past the doors, through an arch and into the main hall. Alice took the time to take in her surroundings. To the right there lay what could only be the main staircase which led to the upper rooms of the house. To the side of that through an open doorway was what looked to be a reception area finished much like the main hall in light oak. On the left of the main hall was the living room, handsomely decorated in mahogany. They politely refused Sally’s offer of a tour, instead insisting that they would await the arrival of their host. On hearing this Sally obligingly guided them to the reception room. From the little she had seen thus far, Alice thought the house had a very distinctive male air to it not at all homely, perhaps that was something she would be able change in times to come.
 
Richard was irritated after he rang off with Johnson. Why the hell hadn't the girl said anything about her aunt when she messaged from New York? They had plenty of room in the house of course, but Richard did not like surprises, and having an additional house guest from now until the wedding was definitely a surprise. Not to mention how his father would react when he found out a member of Alice's family had come to keep an eye on things. No doubt he would take it as a personal affront.

Then there was the matter of her luggage. Father had said the family had fallen on hard times; "destitute" was in fact that word he had used. Where had all this stuff come from? And what did it mean? Was her family doubting their ability to provide suitable things for her? They owned a department store, for God's sake. It seemed like another insult. Father would surely see it that way. That nothing in America was good enough for Alice, so she had to bring everything with her. Richard rubbed his nose again and sighed. She had just arrived, and already things were off to a poor start.

It was mid-afternoon when Richard realized he'd been reading over the same set of purchase orders three times. He pushed them aside and stood up, stretching his stiff shoulders. If he wasn't going to get anything done, he might as well go home and get this meeting over with. He telephoned Johnson to bring the car. He strode down the hall and poked his head into his father's office. "Father? I'm going to go home a little early to meet Alice. Will you come home first or would you prefer to meet at dinner?"

Franklin looked at his son suspiciously, seemingly wondering at his sudden desire to meet his fiancée. Finally he said, "Go ahead. I'll ring Johnson later to come get me. We should get acquainted at the house before going to dinner."

Knowing he would find out soon enough, Richard decided to tell him now. "Johnson said she has a relative with her. An aunt, staying for the wedding. And that she brought an inordinate amount of luggage."

Franklin looked at the floor for a moment, muttering something under his breath that Richard couldn’t catch. Then he looked back at Richard. "It's only right that she should have family at the wedding. I thought the mother and brother would come as well, but I guess they wanted to save our money for other things. But what's all this about luggage?"

Richard shrugged. "I don't know. Wedding gifts, maybe. Johnson said it took him three trips with the car to bring it all to the house."

Franklin snorted. "Wedding gifts? As if I couldn't give the two of you everything you need to start your lives together? Who do they think she's marrying, the son of an itinerant peddler? We import the same things from France and Italy that they do. I don't like this, Richard. She's going to be your wife. You can't let her family think they can push you around and decide things. Damned English always think they're better than us," he muttered, his stout face turning red in anger.

"Yes, Father, I understand. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way," Richard said, trying to mollify his father.

Franklin held up one long finger. "Oh, you don't know these people, Richard. That brother of hers...always trying to squeeze out a little more. We've done enough already; we don't need to support her family their whole lives."

"I'm sure she doesn't expect that," Richard answered briefly, not at all certain how his father concluded Alice's brother wanted a handout from the fact that she arrived laden with household items. "Now if you'll excuse me, Johnson will be here soon."

Franklin waved a hand. "Go, go. I'll see you for cocktails before dinner." With a final nod, Richard took his leave, adjusted his hat, and went downstairs to the waiting car.

Richard only responded in monosyllables to Johnson’s attempts at conversation in the auto, and knowing the young master’s moods, the servant soon fell silent. Richard stared broodily out the window and toyed with his beard as Johnson whisked them through the city streets. He knew well enough what was expected of him and he would do it, but what weighed on his mind was when he’d be able to get away from Alice Clare Worthington and her aunt, and go see Virginia. Not to mention what she would think now that his engagement was very real.

Richard thanked Johnson perfunctorily, allowing the manservant to precede him into the palatial family home. He paused in the entryway, rubbing his nose once more as he felt the beginnings of a headache creep over him. Sally greeted him with a curtsy. “Your guests are in the reception room, sir.”

Richard was startled. “Why didn’t you get them settled in their rooms?” he inquired

“I offered, sir, but they insisted on waiting for you,” the young maid replied.

Richard handed his hat to the maid and squared his shoulders as if preparing for battle. No point in delaying any further. He knew he could be charming when he tried, and now was the time. He walked into the reception room, spotting Alice conversing with her aunt on the plush striped sofa. “Miss Worthington, please forgive me for making you wait.” He flashed a quick smile, white teeth sparkling against his dark beard. “Business, you know. It can be a stern taskmaster. Please introduce me to your aunt. So kind of you to accompany my fiancée all this way, madam,” he added to the older woman. Extending a hand, Richard held Alice’s fingers in his and kissed the back of her gloved hand.

“Can I offer you ladies some refreshments? Or perhaps you would like to see your rooms before it is time to change for dinner?” he inquired politely, but with a distant look on his gaunt face.
 
“Unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable.”

Alice closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, silently praying for patience. Her aunt had taken to repeatedly uttering those words the moment she had learned that neither Richard van Leeuwen nor his father, Franklin, were at the family residence to greet them. As impressed as the older woman may have been by the tranquility neighborhood and opulence of the house, it was not enough to make up for what she considered to be a serious lack of basic etiquette. As a result she was determined to ensure their hosts understood the gravity of their insult and went about doing so using the simplest of means. She - politely but effectively - refused the servants at every turn. Their offers to provide a tour of the home, settle them in their rooms even to bring in refreshments were met with swift declination that only served to make it clear that the only hospitality they would willingly accept at this point would have to come directly from their host.

Alice found herself sending apologetic smiles to poor Sally all afternoon. The sweet young maid had all but given up trying to make them comfortable; though Alice noted that she spared little time in leaving the room each time she dared to check on them. She had no doubt sensed Elizabeth’s distempered state since she had not been back to check on them in quite some time. Alice wished she were as luck as Sally to have an excuse to escape her aunt’s mood.

“One would hope that they would think to make a good impression. After all first introductions are of the utmost importance in these circumstances.” Elizabeth said, sounding most exasperated.

“I am certain there must be a reason for their delay.” Alice said quietly, wishing her aunt would lower her voice.

Elizabeth stared at her incredulous before asking, “What valid reason could they possibly have that would excuse them not being here to greet their future wife and daughter-in-law!?”

“Perhaps an urgent matter arose at their offices. Do not forget that they own and operate their own business, Aunt Elizabeth. Surely you can understand that at times unexpected circumstances would require their attention. “ Alice replied somewhat vehemently, feeling the need to defend her new family.

Elizabeth’s face softened as she stretched out a hand to squeeze Alice’s clasped palms where they lay in her lap. “Of course, my dear. However there are times when business can wait – this is one of them.”


Alice lifted her eyes to her Aunt’s face and was about to reply, when she heard the front door open. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Sally quickly walking past the entryway to the salon to greet whoever had just arrived. She heard the low rumble of a male voice, and felt her heart skip a beat as she realized it must belong to Richard.
“He’s here!” she whispered in a panic to her aunt, her nerves threatening to overwhelm her. Pressing her palm to the nape of her neck, and smoothing the other across her skirts, Alice hoped she looked presentable. She had little time to dwell on the thought as Richard entered the room.

His stride brought him to her, his eyes never leaving hers. It was only when he came to a stop in front of her that Alice remembering her manners, quickly jumped to her feet. Her heart was pounding; the sound deafening to her ears - so much so that she was certain Richard could hear it. He was even more handsome in the flesh than Alice had thought him to be in his photograph. He was tall, a good deal taller than her. His face lean, all hard lines and sharp angles. When he flashed his smile at her, she felt her knees go weak.
Swallowing hard and willing herself to speak, she said “There is nothing to forgive. Mr.Van Leeuwen. I was only just saying that I was certain only a business matter could have kept you away. And please, call me Alice. After all we are to be married.”
She flushed prettily at the last, her cheeks going bright crimson. It took all of her concentration not to faint as her took hold of her hand and kissed the back of her palm. In that moment Alice was grateful that Aunt Elizabeth instructed her not to remove her gloves, for as a result of her nervousness her palms were now sweating. Blinking quickly at Richard and smiling shyly she turned gesturing to her aunt before saying, “Allow me to present Mrs. Elizabeth Newland, my godmother.”

Though Elizabeth had said nothing other than the expected pleasantries and greeting, the direct assessing and unflinching stare that she gave Richard spoke volumes. Eager to break the building tension, Alice accepted Richard’s offer to show them to their rooms and politely asked that Sally bring a pot of tea to Aunt Elizabeth’s room. As they turned to leave the room Richard pressed a hand to the small of her back to guide her steps, and once again Alice had to keep herself from swooning.
 
Fidgeting in the parlor with a chilled martini, Richard felt that sense of vague irritation again while he waited for Alice and her godmother to come downstairs. Or was the women her aunt? He was confused now; Johnson had called to report her aunt was traveling with her, but Alice had introduced her as her godmother. He glanced at his pocket watch every few minutes, wondering if they would make their reservation. It would hardly do for him to knock on her door to ask about the delay, but he was beginning to think this was Alice’s—or Mrs. Newland’s, more likely—way of getting back at him for keeping them waiting earlier in the day. Alice didn’t seem like the type to pull such a stunt, but maybe he had her all wrong. She certainly looked all ready to play the devoted wife, probably after several warnings from her mother and brother about what would happen if their marriage didn’t go off.

Richard took another sip of his drink, taking out his watch once more. It was odd that his father hadn’t appeared, either. Sally had said Johnson went to pick him up over an hour ago. Richard was starting to wonder if the three of them had some conspiracy to annoy him, unlikely though that was. While he waited, he fretted again over his engagement. There was nothing wrong with Alice. She was attractive, pleasant, and seemingly eager to please. No doubt she would be a perfect wife and hostess.

Yet that wasn’t what Richard wanted. Sighing, he re-crossed his legs, hoping his trousers would still be presentable by the time the ladies showed up. His father had his life all planned out for him, including Alice. Richard just wasn’t ready for that. He wanted to go to Chinatown, gamble in sailors’ dens by the wharf, something besides go to the department store every day and come back to the house in the evening. The kinds of things he could do with Virginia, but no proper lady would ever do. And it was obvious that Alice Clare Worthington had been brought up to be a lady.

After all, we are to be married. She’d said it like it was her fondest dream. Maybe it was. He supposed she had little else to dream about. What do you say to someone like that? Richard had never been a ladies’ man particularly, but he didn’t even know where to begin with Alice. They had nothing in common that he could see, except his family had money and hers once had. High society was something Richard put up with because his father insisted. Alice hardly seemed the type to hike Yosemite or drink cheap whiskey and play cards all night. Alice spelled stability, security, comfort. All the things Richard had never cared for. Richard knew he’d have to settle down eventually. He just didn’t know why it had to be now.

Just then his father entered, a gin cocktail already in hand. He looked around, puzzled. “Where are the ladies?” he asked. “I thought they’d be down by now.” And then Sally appeared, leading Alice into the room, her aunt behind her looking around disdainfully.

Richard knew what he had to do. Setting his drink carefully on the nearby table, he stood gracefully. “Father, allow me to introduce Miss Alice Clare Worthington and her godmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Newland. Miss Worthington and Mrs. Newland, my father, Franklin van Leeuwen.”

Franklin prided himself on his social graces, never missing a chance to display them. For once, Richard was grateful. “Charmed, ladies,” he said in his deep voice, bowing. “We are a little short on time, but would you join us for a drink? I assure you Johnson can make anything you’d like. I trust the accommodations are to your liking?”

Elizabeth sniffed audibly. “Adequate, I suppose. It is California, after all. We will have a little wine. Strong drink is not suitable for ladies,” she said primly.

Familiar with his father’s moods, Richard observed the tightening around the corners of his mouth at Mrs. Newland’s hint that California was barely civilized, not to mention her insinuation that it was improper to offer them cocktails. He rubbed his nose. It promised to be a long evening. Desperately trying to think of something to say to Alice, he offered, “I hope your journey was not too exhausting.” He took a moment to admire her slim figure. She barely needed a corset, he supposed. He gave a small chuckle. “I fear you will need your strength for the wedding arrangements. There is a lot to decide.” And he didn’t intend to spend much time thinking about it, but he thought it better not to mention that.

Looking slightly disappointed, Johnson had found a bottle of Chablis and poured two glasses. Just a few minutes later, he sidled over to Richard and sotto voce said, “Your dinner reservation, sir…shall I fetch the car?”

Half-listening to his father’s account of the house, Richard checked his watch again. Time was indeed growing short. “Yes, go ahead. We’ll be down shortly,” he murmured to Johnson. Waiting for his father to take a break, he broke in, “Perhaps you could continue over dinner, father. We really ought to get going.” Summoning up a smile, he offered his arm to Alice. “May I escort you the car?”

Richard navigated the car through busy streets and pulled up at the Palace. Helping Alice down from the car, he wondered how Mrs. Newland would subtly manage to insult the food.
 
Having been settled in their rooms and allowed a short rest, Alice had hoped that Aunt Elizabeth would be more gracious to their hosts. However, upon their entry into the main parlour where Richard and his father awaited them, it became clear that little had been done to improve her disposition. This being her first official introduction to her future father-in-law, Alice was nervous enough as it was without having to concern herself over the behavior of the older woman. Graciously inclining her head toward Richard for a brief moment after his introduction, before she turned to direct her gaze to his father.

He seemed nothing like her father, a man whose every action had been steeped in tradition and the ways of the past. To her eyes Franklin Van Leeuwen was very much a modern man, bold and brash - though in no way uncivilized. Yet quite like her father -and from what she had observed earlier that afternoon - his son, his very presence seemed to command attention. Alice found herself charmed by his manner, and could not help but smile as she gave a demure curtsey in response to his welcome.

Aunt Elizabeth however was less obliging, seemingly unchanged in her opinion that their hosts were in dire need of instruction on the tenants of civility. Alice noted the way Franklin bristled at her shrewd statements, and felt her own cheeks colour from a swift lick of embarrassment. The tension in the air was thick and almost stifling, making even the smallest attempt at pleasantries difficult. Alice was certain that Richard felt it too, judging by the ridged set of his shoulders he seemed to be as uncomfortable as she felt.

“You have a beautiful home, Mr. Van Leeuwen.” She offered politely, hoping to effectively snuff out the fire Aunt Elizabeth seemed so intent on starting. Franklin’s mild frown was quickly replaced by a smile of obvious pride. Alice’s words had not been those of indulgent flattery, but rather mere truth. The brief guided tour Richard had provided them with earlier had revealed that the house was every bit as stately on the inside as it appeared on the outside.

All together there were four floors which made up the interior of the home. Naturally, the ground floor housed the main rooms of use, which consisted of a lobby, a reception room, a parlour, a living room, a smoking or lounging room, a dining room and of course a kitchen to rear of which there was also a servants’ dining room. The second floor - accessed by way of the main staircase - housed six bedrooms, three of which featured en suite baths as well as a separate bath. Also on this level situated at the northwestern and northeastern corners were two additional suites, identical in design, consisting of a large bedroom, a sitting room, dressing room and bathroom. As it was, Richard occupied the room in the northwestern corner, while the other now belonged to Alice. The third floor or attic level belonged solely to Franklin, with his apartments - including a bedchamber, bathroom, dressing room, sitting room, private office and sporting room - taking up the whole width of the building on that floor. The fourth and final level was the basement which provided general storage space as well as the servants’ quarters.

From what Alice had seen, little expense had been spared in ensuring each and every room was beautifully and tastefully appointed. No doubt that was the reason behind Franklin’s current enthusiastic account of the craftsmanship behind the dwelling. When Johnson appeared before her with a glass of wine she took it gratefully, though she had to inwardly remind herself to take small sips rather than down it all in one go. In all honesty Alice would have welcomed a glass of brandy, “a little something to stiffen the nerves” as her father used to say. Contrary to Elizabeth’s statement, Alice was of the opinion that at times a strong drink was necessary – and this was one such time - ladylike behavior be damned. She was not all together certain that wine alone would be enough to sustain her through the night ahead.

She was momentarily startled – though to her credit she tried her best not to look it - when Richard turned to her asking about the journey to California. This was only the third time he had spoken to her directly, aside from their initial introduction that afternoon and during the brief tour of the house. Alice was still trying to formulate an intelligent response, when thankfully Johnson came over to whisper in Richard’s ear. She was grateful for the interruption, even more so when Richard sought to remind his father of their dinner reservations. She accepted his arm when he offered to escort her to the car. Within minutes they were all seated in the automobile, driving along San Francisco’s streets with the balmy evening air caressing them.

When they arrived at the restaurant, Alice allowed Franklin to help her from the car and this time it was he who escorted her. She couldn’t help but stare in wonder at the brightly lit building, a far cry from the pale grey of London. As they entered and were shown to their table, Alice was certain that her excitement – and nervousness - was palpable. She hoped that all would go well, and particularly that Aunt Elizabeth’s mood would improve significantly and if not that her tongue would at least be slow in its replies.

They had been sitting for some time, the starter course having already arrived, their waiter having checked on them and informing that their entrees would soon follow. Franklin and Elizabeth had taken to discussing the initial plans and details of the wedding, while Alice and Richard listened intently. At least Alice supposed he was listening, no doubt such matters were of little interest to a man. There was a far off look on his face that Alice could not altogether read. Though she could tell it was not exactly one of boredom, but neither was it one of interest in any particular thing.

Thinking perhaps he might appreciate a change of topic, Alice asked “Do you come here often?” When he made no reply other than to crease his brow in what she took to be confusion, she continued with a smile. “The restaurant … Do you come here often? It really is quite lovely. From what I’ve seen of the rest of your country on our journey here, I must say I am rather impressed with it all.”

She paused then, as much for his reply as out of fear that she would sound as though she were rambling if she continued. Her mother had raised her with a modesty that would naturally dispose her to reticence in company; and now here she was, expected to converse with a man she barely knew, one who was to become her husband no less. She even uncertain what she ought to call him and so had refrained from calling him anything. In their correspondence she had addressed him as Mr. Van Leeuwen - again at her mother’s insistence – and he had called her Miss Worthington. Despite having been properly introduced in the flesh the use of his first name felt foreign to her, and to him as well she suspected while recalling his use of her full name earlier in the evening and only hen introductions had still been necessary. A sudden gnawing fear sprang to her mind, what if she could never talk to Richard freely and comfortably. What sort of married life would that be for the two of them? Alice pushed the thought from her mind, certain that she was worrying over nothing. Perhaps it would be difficult in the beginning, but she was certain that in time it would be easier and that she and Richard would be happy together.

The evening continued on from there as naturally as could be expected. There were stilted conversation filled with awkward pauses and tense moments over heated words, the latter being shared mainly between Franklin and Elizabeth. They returned home and Alice settled into bed for her first night in her new home.
 
It was a few nights before Richard was able to sneak out. His father would be alert to any signs of impropriety around their new arrivals--the wedding had to go off without a hitch--and he knew better than to trust excessively in the servants' discretion. His father was the one who paid them. So Richard behaved himself, spending as much time as he reasonably could at the office and trying to avoid the increasingly heated discussions between Franklin and Elizabeth. His father had taken to lighting his pipe more frequently than usual, tobacco being another thing that Elizabeth apparently disapproved of, and as often as not he used these smoking breaks to complain to Richard about "that woman," as he invariably referred to her now.

Alice seemed discomfited by it as well, as she too had been avoiding Franklin and Elizabeth. Or so Richard assumed that was the reason behind her frequent complaints of the vapors. He supposed she was involved with the wedding planning, or perhaps not. He found himself indifferent. Alice would be a suitable wife, he believed: attractive, well-mannered. The household staff was more than capable, so there would be no difficulty if she were not up to managing it. She was little more than furniture to him, a fixture in his house and his life, but not one he gave a great deal of thought to.

Stepping out of the cab in the wharf district, Richard smiled, teeth white against the black of his beard, the bustle even at night making him feel more alive than he had in days. This excited him. Away from the genteel life of Pacific Heights and Union Square, Richard felt free. Purposefully weaving through the crowd of sailors and the girls they attracted, he reached his destination, a tavern virtually indistinguishable from the many others that lined the streets, one of the many providing cheap drinks and meals to the sailors, along with other entertainments for those who knew whom to ask. Richard picked his way through the front room, paying no heed to the drunken singing from the bar and only pausing to step around or over a particularly inebriated patron.

What he wanted was at the back. This particular establishment hosted a poker game that attracted officers from the ships stopping in San Francisco, as well as a few locals with a taste for gambling. Richard had been a regular at one point, though not recently. Still, he nodded to Tommy, the large islander guarding the door, and was immediately let inside. He knew no one at the table aside from the banker, but all the other players cared about was that he had money. In a few moments Richard was seated at the table, drink at his side and cigar in one hand, pushing the first of his chips to the center of the table, sizing up his opponents to determine who was drunk enough to be an easy mark and who was a serious player.

He paid no attention to the thin, rather tall man standing in one corner who was talking with a heavyset ship's captain. Calvin Montgomery raised an eyebrow gracefully, surprised to see Richard van Leeuwen in this sort of place. Not a gambler himself, Calvin usually did not frequent taverns, but the captain he was conducting business with had insisted on meeting here, planning to join the game as soon as their business was concluded. Calvin had humored him; his business depended on staying in the good graces of ship's officers. If Calvin remembered correctly, van Leewen's wedding was coming up at the end of the month. It seemed half the city had been invited, since he and his wife had received an invitation despite having no more connection to the family than having done a little business with the senior van Leeuwen a few years ago. He wondered why Richard would be out here so late, and if his father knew where he was. Calvin shrugged. It was none of his affair. Concluding his business, he tipped his hat politely to the captain and left, noting the diminished pile of chips in front of Richard before making his way to the relatively modest home he shared with his wife.
 
Sleep had been hard in coming, and so Alice had lain awake all night and into the early hours of the morning. Her mind racing endlessly with thoughts of the future. No ... not thoughts ... uncertainties and fears. The many weeks that she had been here in her new American home, with what was to be her family, had done little to give her comfort or help her feel settled. Richard and his father -though not unkind - were still little more than strangers to Alice; despite their shows of accommodation towards her.

Alice found that she still knew very little as to the nature of the Van Leeuwen men. Though to be fair, she had not had much interaction with either of them beyond everyday courtesies since her arrival. Franklin Van Leeuwen appeared harmless enough, despite being louder in his manner than most of the gentlemen Alice had encountered. However his fits of anger - no doubt brought on by his frustration with Aunt Elizabeth's ceaseless complaints - had driven Alice to steer clear of his path. As for her intended, Richard Van Leeuwen seemed determined to avoid her company at all costs. Albeit in the rare instances when he found himself unable to escape her, he seemed resigned to merely tolerate her presence for however long was necessary.

The weeks had gone by quickly, though not at all painlessly, while Alice had busied herself as best possible in assisting with the wedding plans.Though there was less joy to be found in the task than she had ever dreamed. She supposed her disillusionment stemmed from the fact that the reality of her current situation was so extremely contrary to her girlhood imaginings. Much like any other young lady, Alice had always believed that she would marry for love. Position and circumstance as well ... yes, but always with love present. It would perhaps have been on a sunny day at her father's country estate, while surrounded by the smiles and well wishes of family and friends. That had been her girlish prescription for her perfect wedding. But it would not serve her to dwell on things that would now never come to pass. She had no family present, save for Aunt Elizabeth; and there would be no friends to share in her laughter and what was to be her joy.

Soon enough the day was upon her; and Alice's thoughts momentarily retreated to the back of her mind as she listened to the house come alive. The sounds of servants bustling about to carry out last minute preparations, only seemed to make the gravity of the day all the more real - causing her nerves to rise. That was something at least, she thought, all brides were meant to be nervous on their wedding day , not so? Though she wondered if it made a difference that hers was borne more of fear than excitement.Thankfully, it was not long before Aunt Elizabeth who was followed closely by Sally appeared in order to help her get ready; giving Alice no time to give it much more thought.

After several hours of preparations, she was quite ready. Her dark hair had been brushed, coiled and pinned in piles atop her head. The lacings of her corset, were drawn and tightened before she was sheathed in yards of fabric. Alice took the time to appraise her reflection in the mirror, at the urging of Aunt Elizabeth and the awed excited whisperings of Sally. The sight of her slender frame in the ornate ivory silk gown caused her breath to catch in her throat. She saw now that her mother had been right, the gown was nothing if not exquisite. The ornate delicate gold embroidery and pearl beading that ran in intricate patterns throughout the fabric, only served to enhance its overall elegance. An unexpected gift of Burmese sapphire earrings, a family heirloom sent by her mother and delivered by Aunt Elizabeth, was the final addition to her ensemble. Or so she had thought, for after descending the staircase to the main level - where she had been informed photographs were to be taken before they proceeded to the church - Richard surprised her by presenting her with a diamond necklace. She noted with great satisfaction that he was wearing the cufflinks she had given him earlier in the week as a wedding present.Deeply touched by each of these gestures - small though they may be, Alice found herself blushing to the roots of her hair. Perhaps everything was not as hopeless as it all seemed.

Before she knew it, they had left the house and were bound for the church - Franklin and Richard in one car, Alice and Elizabeth in the other. On the drive to the church, Alice noted that a grey sky loomed overhead, and her earlier sadness returned momentarily as she remembered her dream of a sunny day.

After arriving at the church, Alice took notice of very little. Everything was in essence a blur to her. In the end the moment she had spent most of her life dreaming of, was over in a mere matter of minutes. Vows stated and sealed with a chaste kiss; and suddenly she had ceased to be Lady Alice Claire Worthington, and she was now Mrs. Richard Van Leeuwen.
 
Last edited:
"Confound this thing!" Richard cursed, fumbling with his bow tie once more.

"Allow me, sir," Johnson interceded smoothly. "Your father will want you looking smart for the photographs."

"Of course," Richard muttered sullenly, but he allowed Johnson to knot his tie in his characteristic expert fashion. Richard realized his own clumsiness was due to his hands shaking. "The photographs will have to look just right in the newspaper." He grimaced. Why wasn't getting married enough? Why did his father have to make sure it was an event?

He chewed on his lip. It was ungrateful of him to snap at Johnson, who was only trying to help, as he always did. "I'm sorry, Johnson. I'm just a little on edge today."

Johnson smiled pleasantly, his manner as ever proper and composed. "Quite all right, sir. It's not every day that you get married." Having served the van Leeuwens for many years, Johnson was pleased to see the young master take a wife. He had also taken a shine to the young Miss Worthington. A slightly nervous young woman, but invariably kind and gracious. The staff had all talked about how they were lucky to have her a mistress and there was hope she could lighten Richard's moods, which could be dark at times.

Richard glanced in the lookingglass on the stand in the corner, his bow tie now knotted impeccably. That alone helped Richard relax a little; even apart from Franklin, he was rather vain about his appearance and wanted to look just so. Suddenly, he asked, "What do you think of her? Alice, I mean." His father was no use on the subject and none of his friends knew her. Johnson was the only man whose opinion he could trust.

Startled, Johnson looked closely at Richard, trying to understand what prompted the question. As a loyal servant of many years, Johnson knew his place was secure, and yet this was the future mistress of the house he was being asked about. And it was very unlike Richard to ask him that sort of question. There was more going on here than simple nerves about getting married, Johnson decided. Possibly something to do with Richard's occasional nightly absences, which of course all the servants knew of. Johnson had his own speculations of where Richard went, though naturally it was none of his affair. "Miss Worthington?" Johnson said slowly, marshalling his thoughts. "A lovely girl, obviously from a good family. Most suitable in my opinion, sir. The staff is quite taken with her. Impeccable manners. She'll make a fine hostess."

"She will, won't she?" Richard replied, thinking of things in a new light. "Yes, you're right. That's important, I suppose." Johnson was right, he reflected. Since his mother had passed they had stopped entertaining, but it would be expected once he was married. The house did need more looking after than he or his father had time or inclination for, and if the wedding plans were any indication, Alice would be good at that. As Johnson said, she was quite proper.

Which was the exactly the problem, he reflected. His father had wanted a proper English girl, and had gone and bought one. Richard, however, had some interests that were decidedly improper. Alice would surely not approve of his gambling, and he couldn't imagine her using her pretty mouth on him the French way, as Ginny would. He sat on the canopy bed, thinking that tonight he would be obliged to share it with his new wife. He would just have to do as his father had said, he decided. Marry Alice, do his duty with her, have children with her. And make sure Ginny knew she was his real love even though they could never openly be together. She was sensible; she knew they could never marry. It was not talked of, naturally, but Richard would hardly be the only man in society with a mistress.

He stood up and set his shoulders, ready for what was to come. Johnson helped him put on his grey tailcoat and he looked at himself in the glass once more, making sure the cufflinks Alice had given him were showing and his tie was perfectly straight. "Thank you, Johnson. Let's go downstairs."

The photographs were the bother he anticipated. At one point Elizabeth's constant criticism, combined with her attempts to take charge of everything had Franklin's face so red Richard feared he might be having an attack of apoplexy. Somehow he mastered himself and through clenched teeth insisted that the photographer knew his business and that the pictures would come out fine. During one of Franklin and Elizabeth's arguments, Richard turned to Alice and gave a conspiratorial wink, and was gratified with a guilty smile in return. At least they had overbearing relatives in common. He was pleased that she seemed to like the necklace, and he meant it when he told her she looked beautiful. The gown was indeed stunning. They would just have to make the best of the situation. Maybe it wouldn't be love, exactly, but they could be pleasant with each other.

It didn't occur to Richard that Alice might have hoped for more.

The ceremony was mercifully quick. Standing at the front of the church beneath the ornate stained glass window, Richard was barely aware of the minister's words until he pronounced them man and wife. The kiss. I have to kiss her now. Awkwardly, he touched his lips to hers briefly as the guests applauded the couple. He felt...nothing. She was now Alice van Leeuwen, his wedded wife, but he felt no thrill of excitement when he kissed her.

Then it was time for the receiving line outside the church before heading to the reception. Richard would have preferred to have it at the house, and their cook was rather put out at not preparing the wedding banquet, but Franklin characteristically insisted on a fancy hotel. Richard escorted his wife to the car, Johnson waiting in the driver's seat. Opening the door for her, he said, "After you, Mrs. van Leeuwen," helping her inside.
 
Back
Top