Smoking in Public

Ezzy

Insignificantly Important
Joined
Apr 16, 2000
Posts
2,252
Smoking in Public Places

Thinking about the lottery winning thread, I got shouted at today for lighting a cigarette in a public place.

In the old days when you went to the cinema you could barely see the screen, for the smoke in the air.

Now the cinema’s are all non- smoking round here; so if I ever won the big one on the lottery I think I would have to open a smokers cinema. With a large tobacconist kiosk in the foyer; you may but a ticket to get in but unless you show a packet of cigarettes you’re not allowed in.
You dont have to smoke them just buy them, or are accompanied by a smoker.

For the anti-smoking brigade I would have a very efficient air conditioning system that pumped clean air in at the floor level and extracted the smoke in the roof.

Anyone want to “see a movie this way”?

EZ
sleep.gif


ps Dont get on my case (I do know it's harmfull)!

[Edited by Ezzy on 09-05-2000 at 09:49 PM]
 
I do understand what you mean a long time ago (It seems) you could smoke wherever you wanted in public now people get so annoyed even if you are outdoors.

But more people worry about their health so I understand their point too. Sorry not much help.

Just enjoy and forget eveyone else.
 
I am not a smoker nor do i like , but i think there ought to be stores and cinemas that smokers can go to and smoke in peace and not be segregated to there own home. I do think that some of the anit-smoking laws are unfair to smokers. And I say ths after being in a 5 pack a day house and suffering with the after effects. Many of the antismoking laws are extreme and unfiar. Smokers need to be aware of there non-smoking counter part as the anitsmoker has to be aware of his smoking counterpart.

there has to be made a happy middle ground for each, so that no one gets segregated
 
At my work, now no one can smoke NEAR the entrances. Near. Yeah, you heard me. So now, even if you're outside, you're not in the right spot outside. Sheesh.

As long as it's legal to smoke, I think we smokers should have more freedom than we do. I'm not saying I have the right to give someone else cancer just because I choose to give it slowly to myself, I'm just saying we needn't be relegated like wild dogs to smoking in the storm sewers.
 
Don't even get me started on that subject I have smoked for almost 20 years and watched the prices go up the nonsmokers ran us out of malls and now you can't got to a feaking baseball game outside and smoke..hell all mt life I would move if it bothered someone.....I would never smoke if someone was eating next to me ......I way careful with others..........AWWWW Fuck it nere mind.........everone is just going to bitch anyhow..........I know I know
 
lol ooooops

Yup but Wiz those fragrant smokes can get you all sorts of unwanted attention.

EZ
sleep.gif
 
Next there will be fucking nonsmoking wed sites....there is the smoking section over there.......................Smokers BB over there.............
 
I expect smoke when I go to a bar. Alcohol and smoke seem to go together. However, I would not be frequenting a theater like the one you envision. Close work associates of mine were upset that they had to keep the door to their smoking room closed. Why? Too much smoke!! Give me a f***ing break! My mother has smoked her whole life and now refuses to smoke in her own car and home. Why? She recognizes the foul smell and negative health consequences she may have been exposing her loved ones to. People need to respect each other! Smokers and non-smokers alike.

[Edited by Dreamer1 on 09-05-2000 at 08:18 PM]
 
I used to smoke all the time, but I found one of those Kidde personal sized fire extinguishers at Walmart a few years ago. Them suckers are great, you just carry it around in a big tote and when you start smokin get a lil CO2 burst. Stops the smokin and gets ya all nipply in the process. I highly recommend it. :)
 
The workplace, movie theaters, malls, and restaurants are not public places - they are private property. If their owners have chosen to make the area nonsmoking and that is their right, they can receive more money by making the smokers not smoke than they can by making the nonsmokers deal with the smoke. In addition, with the exception of the workplace, these are typically areas frequented by children. The last thing any owner wants to hear is, "My infant or four year old got sick because they had to inhale smoke and now I'm going to sue you for 5.6 million."

As far as I know there is no public place in which smoking is illegal except for forests and the like. That's just common sense. I work in two jobs, in one smoking and heavy perfumes are not allowed and in another a uniform is mandatory and you can be reprimanded for excessive yawning. Work time is not your time and your actions can be regulated, that's just part of work.

Patryn, if you're like some workers you smoke on your brake time or lunch - I've heard of a few companies that prohibit any smoking anytime during the work day. Maybe you're lucky that you only have to stand away from the building?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :cool: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It never has to make sense.
 
Yes I understand the non smoking view point, and that is why I would have a very very efficient clean air system.
But as MY private property if you wanted in you'd have to be a smoker or accompanied by a smoker.

EZ
sleep.gif


ps Kids aren't allowed in X rated movies LOL.
 
Was just looking around and saw this. I had to respond, even though it will not add anything to this thread...(string) LMAO. This is just a personal note to Ezzy, so please continue after my note, and ignore what I write. (All except Ezzy that is!) *smiles*

Pretty sure my memory isn't failing me here Ezzy. That isn't what you told me you would do with lottery winnings if you won them. Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't have thought it would be something you would want to do in your life. Have several jokes I want to write to you here, but think that they may not be taken, as you know I would mean them. Not sure how I feel about it, but you probably do, or at least understand what I mean.

"Let's see? How to say this nicely?" LOL
Kiss Kiss,

Debbs

P.S. As per your admission rules, I will not be allowed to enter and view a movie in your theater.
 
Dear Becca

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Sorry Thwap accepted.

EZ
sleep.gif
 
Reports on the hazards of second-hand smoke are bogus. Anytime a scientific study is made, someone or something is responsible for funding this research, so it's easy to assume the results have been twisted to the favor of the fundee. I don't like someone blowing smoke at me when I'm eating either, but smokers have become targetted as the latest evil group, and because they are out-numbered, they have little support. They have been forced to stand outside like second class citizens, overtaxed, ostrasized, the tobacco companies have been penalized for marketing their products, and have been sued for selling their products. Meanwhile, tobacco farmers are being federally subsidized for the crops they can't sell. Smokers should wear armbands so that they are easily recognized when they aren't smoking.
 
If you believe the tobacco lobby's assertion that reports on second hand smoke are bogus maybe you also believe them when they say nicotine is not addictive.

Okay, that was snide, but, truly, they're not bogus. Don't buy into that.

Until the recent non-smoking laws I spent over 30 years in restaurants, bars, airplanes, offices, nightclubs, and even elevators forced to smell and inhale cigarette smoke. Bus fumes I can deal with, because even though they should be using electric I have patience for a public neccessity. Nobody needs to smoke.

Now, a woman close to me lost a breast to caner from smoking, but can't quit, so I have nothing but sympathy for those addicted. But even she doesn't understand why smokers whine about their lost rights. If I wanted to spray a can of insecticide every 20 minutes while you ate, traveled or worked next me, would you let me?

Thank you to all those smokers who, in the past, were cordial enough to "step outside" or refrain from smoking after a meal, etc. I have always been gracious to those people, and appreciated their manners.
 
While I completely understand the non-smokers point of view, it makes me steam, when I am smoking in my own car, and I get yelled at by total strangers. I live in WA, home the health nuts, and everywhere I go I feel like a minority because even on a public sidewalk, I get told to stop smoking in public, it's bad for everyone's health, yadda, yadda. So how come the non-smokers cannot understand that sometimes quitting is not the best option?? It certainly ain't the easiest.
 
OK, I'm one of those people that you hate. I'm a non-smoker and no, I don't like it when I'm in my car with the window down and smoke from a car near me comes into mine.

It really pisses me off when I see someone flip the butt out the window. You smoked it, you keep it in the car. And where are the police that they aren't ticketing these people for littering! (I know that's an extreme statement but that's what they are doing--littering. Can I throw my gum, water bottle, soda can out the window?)

Dreamer said: "Close work associates of mine were upset that they had to keep the door to their smoking room closed. Why? Too much smoke!! Give me a f***ing break!" Same thing happened where I work.
 
Count me as another of the fanatic non-smokers. Even outside, I hate to be near your smoke. For me the reason is allergies- smoke makes mine much worse and I can't breathe when I'm around it. I was campaigning for smoke-free work space back in the 70's and 80's before it was normal to expect being able to work without choking to death.
 
You know. If anybody approached a smoker out in the open, or yelled at them for smoking in their own car, HERE. He/she would leave the spot with "FOOL" printed all over them.
Now I do understand that it smells bad and is somewhat disgusting for non-smokers. And I don't know even one fellow smoker, who does not show consideration towards those who don't smoke.

I myself will always and have always showed refrained from smoking at the table when someone is there and don't like it. I've been standing outside in the worse storms and coldest weather because of non-smokers and I don't mind that.

But I'm sorry to say that I think those EXTREME non-smokers are way to fucked up. If I'm in the company of one, I stay as far away from that person as possible.
They can't lecture us about anything we don't already know, and if they feel like reducing us to lesser people because we smoke, well then fuck'em. Not my problem.

A few statistics to think about.

Driving with an open window in a big city, makes you inhale more dangerous fumes than any cigaret ever will produce.

Walking on the sidewalk, you will inhale more CO2 and lead particles than any cigaret will produce.

If you use coal in the garden BBQ, it will generate more dangerous fumes in 30 minutes, than 500 cigarets.

Stowe gas reduces lung tissue 30% faster than cigaret smoke.

Gasoline fumes reduces lung tissue 60% faster than cigarettes.

Why don't ya' all think about that the next time you roll down the window to get "fresh air" in the city. Or the next time having a BBQ or down tanking gas.

have a nice nice day.
 
Xander said:

Driving with an open window in a big city, makes you inhale more dangerous fumes than any cigaret ever will produce.

Walking on the sidewalk, you will inhale more CO2 and lead particles than any cigaret will produce.

If you use coal in the garden BBQ, it will generate more dangerous fumes in 30 minutes, than 500 cigarets.

Stowe gas reduces lung tissue 30% faster than cigaret smoke.

Gasoline fumes reduces lung tissue 60% faster than cigarettes.


But I'm not allergic to anything on your list above, and I didn't say I disliked cigarettes because of their potential cancer threat. So all those other things being as bad or worse than cigarettes is a moot point.

My point was that I literally can not breathe around cigarette smoke. It instantly stuffs up my nose at the first whiff, even outside. It is particularly worse when my allergies are already bothering me, like now. Everyone thinks I've got a bad cold because I'm stuffed up; my eyes are red, itchy and watering; I'm coughing (like a smoker!) to get crap out of my lungs; and my voice is raspy. Allergy medicine only works to a limited degree. The first thing on my list of things to do according to my allergist? STAY AWAY FROM SMOKE. It is the number one trigger of symptoms.
 
Chill Cheyenne. I wasn't directing an attack at you.
I was simply stating the fact, that there is so many other things that are equally, or more dangerous than cigaret smoke ever will be. Thing that most people never ever think about.

As for your allergies, I perfectly understand your need to stay away from smoke. And you should do so. As a smoker I can truthfully tell you, that in the company of one in such a condition, I do take my cigaret as far away from that person as possible. Simply because I do not wanna cause that person to feel any worse. Smokers are not generally inconsiderate assholes.
 
"I am an adult who smokes. I smoke because I choose to smoke. Smoking pleases me. I have thought about the dangers of smoking, and I take full responsibility for the consequences of my decision to smoke cigarettes." This is from a smokers creed
 
I used to enjoy smoking.

Now it just seems like a chore.

The anti-smoking fascists don't piss me off nearly as much as the "no scent/environmental sensitivity nazis" though
 
I don't smoke, and I can't stand for anybody near me to smoke, either. The smell makes me feel sick, and it irritates my mouth and nose. I lived for 19 years with two parents who smoked. My lungs are ruined. I can no longer take a deep breath. And no, it wasn't pollution that did that. I lived in a relatively rural area with a small population, and next to no pollution. Hell, even L.A. would have been better for me than home. Just another viewpoint.
 
Back
Top