Sionnach (closed)

"I have to think she's close by," Ezra nodded. "The Lord Protector could find out. I know she's not as far away as Germany, and I believe Barbarossa's gone to see her, wherever she is, several times. My guess is that she's somewhere near the Channel, maybe staying in a conquered castle or fort. She'll be heavily guarded, but I'm fairly certain Barbarossa has all of his dragons on the front. This woman won't have aerial guards unless Barbarossa has gotten paranoid. His own hubris makes him think that any territory behind the battle line is safe for him and his people. He doesn't think we will sink to kidnapping and he probably thinks we're too stupid to even come up with the idea."
 
“If we attacked the front at the same time we made a strike against her, he wouldn’t expect that.” Fiona said. “Kell could coordinate it in a way that would be stealthy and secretive. I will bring it to him and leave Sam out of it for now.”
 
"Do you think Sam won't approve?" Ezra questioned. "I can see why he wouldn't. It feels like we'd be stopping to Barbarossa's level."
 
“Ezra, we have to.” Fiona said softly, her hand cradling her own belly as she thinks her about a poor woman being used as a pawn. “He would do the same to me. We know that. If it means throwing his ranks into turmoil, then we have to take the chance. Take her to his enemies and take the child elsewhere. Split them up and make him search and worry and wonder.”

Fiona was quiet for a long moment before she looked at Ezra with her calm blue eyes. "He had made it clear that he would torture me until I break if he had the chance. He would kill my child for the chance to to that. I don't want any of my family to die, but I know more will. If I can show him how great that pain is in one fell swoop, I will take that chance."
 
Last edited:
"Let's just hope that when we do bring him the reality of losing loved ones, he has enough of a heart to actually care and not dismiss them as necessary sacrifices." Ezra rose with a sigh. "And hopefully it doesn't make things even worse..."
 
"I don't think we'll really know until it happens." Fiona said as Ezra stood, their conversation ending as he excused himself and she sat there for a while longer.

It had been a terrible night's sleep with Schaller, and she took the moment to grab a quick nap before the solstice celebrations truly began. She was going to host them come hell or high water. Even if no one else felt like celebrating, she was going to prove that there was always cause for celebration.
 
Out in the town and villages, the most receptive to the Solstice celebrations were children and their parents who wanted to make sure the children had a good festival as it might be their last for who knew how long. Families who had kin trapped on the front in the flanking attack were the most helpful in helping honor the fighters and the dead. Sam released soldiers and guards in shifts to enjoy the festivities as well, making sure everyone got a chance to join in and forget the war for just a little while.
 
When Fiona woke, she dressed comfortably and went to the main hall to find her husband. She wasn't expecting her Da to appear, guiding her to the side room that had once been Julia's and covering her eyes.

"Da, I don't really have time for this." Fiona said as he positioned her just so and dropped his hands.

The first thing that she saw was Sam. The second thing that she saw was the beautiful wooden cradle that was in the middle of the small room. She stared at it for the longest moment, not really able to let it sink in. She took a step closer and saw a beautifully soft blanket inside, made from the lightest of wool. There was also a stuffed fox resting on the blankets, much like the one she had bought for herself the last time she was with her family in Sweden.

"Did Uncle Yul make this?" Fiona asked, looking at both her husband and her father.
 
Owen stood beside Fiona with a gentle smile, nodding at her question. "He did. Anya and Erika made the blanket, and Rhett made the doll." Owen looked to Sam then, who still looked surprised himself to see it all. "Sam and I talked about having Yul make a cradle at some point... so I took the liberty of properly asking."
 
Fiona simply stared at the cradle and almost didn't dare to breathe. Everything about the baby suddenly felt very real in that moment, especially since the rest of the family now knew and were willing to help her and Sam celebrate it.

She could see beautiful figures carved into the wood representing legends of her tribe, all manner of animals from foxes to bears frolicking together under the moon and in the woods. It was a beautiful testament to her uncle's skill as a woodworker.

"Da, we still don't even know..." She trailed off then, feeling completely overwhelmed at the idea that they were all willing to believe that this child was going to survive.

Fiona felt helpless as she wrapped a hand around her belly and looked between him and Sam. "Thank you, Da."
 
Owen drew Fiona into his arms, kissing her cheek. "This will be here for your children no matter what happens, love." He looked to Sam then, and smiled softly. "Your husband still can't process it either."
 
“We made an agreement to not think about the baby until it’s here.” Fiona muttered as Owen hugged her tightly and assured her that this cradle was for the future as well. “I guess it’s getting more and more real with every passing moment.”
 
"It's hard not to think about. It's one of very few things to look forward to right now," Owen murmured. "You can't blame us for being excited."
 
“I don’t blame anyone.” Fiona promised, pulling back to look her father in the eye. “I would never blame anyone for being happy about this baby. Especially right now when there’s not much to be happy about. I just don’t want anyone to be disappointed by something other than happy ending.”

Fiona glanced over at Sam then, knowing that they both struggled with that thought. It was a dark cloud hanging over their happiness.
 
Sam met Fiona's gaze and stepped over to kiss her, wrapping an arm around her. He was glad for the gift and the support, but he couldn't muster the same kind of optimism. It made the whole situation bittersweet.
 
Fiona kissed her husband in return and leaned her head against his shoulder, looking one more time at the cradle. It made her want to cry, in both a good and a bad way. It was a symbol of her hope for the future, but a reminder of what was happening right then.
 
Owen smiled gently in understanding, stepping toward the door. "I'll leave you two be for a while. I know it's not easy all things considered." He disappeared through the door as Sam hugged Fiona closer, one hand coming to rest on her belly.
 
“I want to hope, Sam.” Fiona said softly as Sam hugged her so tightly and rested his hand on her belly. “Everyone thinks I’m foolish for it though. Even Schaller doesn’t really understand my optimism.”
 
"It's okay, love..." He murmured. "Hold on to tha'... You'll need it. Things'll only get harder... But if nothin' else, this baby still 'as a chance." He kissed her once more, glancing back toward the cradle.
 
“We have a chance, love. Ezra has an idea that I think we need to act upon.” Fiona said softly as she saw him glance towards the cradle again.
 
Sam looked back down at her then. "What's th' idea? What can I do t'help?" Fiona, of all people, knew he was getting desperate lately for any possible plans or help he could find.
 
Fiona explained to him Ezra’s plan and thinking, knowing that he would very well agree with her about the idea. She knew he would take anything at this point because with Barbarossa on the move, they weren’t safe.
 
Sam silently listened as she explained everything, occasionally glancing at the open door to make sure no one else was listening in. He nodded as she finished, "This'll have t'be something th'Riders an' Kell's agents collaborate on. I'll keep Barbarossa's attention in th'meantime. Tell as few people as possible."
 
“You, I, and Ezra are the only ones who know for now.” Fiona said softly as Sam instantly formed plans in his mind. “I’ll put it together with him tomorrow. Tonight, however, we’re going to enjoy ourselves.”
 
Back
Top