Journal club - "Nipple/Breast Stimulation and Sexual Arousal in Young Men and Women"

erotica_n_s

Really Really Experienced
Journal club - "Nipple/Breast Stimulation and Sexual Arousal in Young Men and Women"

The paper was published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine back in 2006 - and a brief report of the study was presented at the European Society of Sexual Medicine meeting at Copenhagen, December 2005 - around eight years ago.

A short questionnaire was administered to 153 women - described as "sexually experienced undergraduates", with 95% of them between 18 and 22.

So, out of 153 women
-
  • 81.5% reported that stimulation of their nipples/breasts caused or enhanced their sexual arousal
  • 78.2% agreed that when sexually aroused such manipulation increased their arousal
  • 59.1% had asked to have their nipples stimulated during lovemaking

I only read through the article very briefly - but I could not find any confirmation of the "phenomenon" of "breast orgasms" - women supposedly achieving orgasm through breast stimulation alone... I was a little disappointed - it's long been one of my most favourite fantasies to give a woman an orgasm by kissing her breasts (or at least, triggering an orgasm for her with a kiss on her breasts when she's nearing the edge of an orgasm anyway)... haven't found any evidence that this is even possible... still, very interesting study... But as I say, I only read through the paper very briefly - I may well have missed something...

The authors were Roy Levin of the University of Sheffield (in the United Kingdom) and Cindy Meston of the University of Texas, Austin.

I think it would be quite interesting if we could try a similar questionnaire here on Literotica...

Last edited:
If you do some searching (here's a sample search; you can change the search terms after the ".com" to get more results), you should be able to find plenty of survey and poll threads about women orgasming via breast/nipple stimulation. Of course answers from this community aren't going to be an accurate representation of women from Western cultures or the population at large, since Lit members tend to be more in tune with their bodies and preferences.

Of course answers from this community aren't going to be an accurate representation of women from Western cultures or the population at large, since Lit members tend to be more in tune with their bodies and preferences.

Maybe so. But you'd think that women in Copenhagen would be more in tune with their bodies and preferences than most women, wouldn't you? Or is the "liberated Scandinavian woman" just another myth?

For what it's worth, I definitely know of two women who could get off by breast/nipple stimulation alone. I was one, and a lover I had at the time was another. It doesn't happen very often, but it's happened. I realize that a statistical sample of two isn't very persuasive, so perhaps other ladies here could put their two nips -- I mean cents -- in.

What did it have to say about men's sensitivity to nips? I've just learned on another thread that a few men can cum without touching their penises. Some were getting their stimulation some other way, such as the prostate. Were nipples also involved?

Maybe so. But you'd think that women in Copenhagen would be more in tune with their bodies and preferences than most women, wouldn't you? Or is the "liberated Scandinavian woman" just another myth?
Europeans in general have far more liberal attitudes about nudity and sexuality than Americans.

I wasn't thinking of any particular culture. Lit's members are primarily American, Canadian, British, Australian and European, hence the "western" reference. If we compare the attitudes of those members with the attitudes of the larger populations of that area, the Lit members have more liberal attitudes about sexuality. Open-minded folks are usually drawn to others with similar philosophies, plus many people who come here become more educated about different facets of sexuality as they explore and engage in discussions.

I know of someone who can orgasm from a head massage, so I'm sure breast / nipple stimulated orgasms are possible. I'd really love to witness one at some point.

If you do some searching (here's a sample search; you can change the search terms after the ".com" to get more results), you should be able to find plenty of survey and poll threads about women orgasming via breast/nipple stimulation. Of course answers from this community aren't going to be an accurate representation of women from Western cultures or the population at large, since Lit members tend to be more in tune with their bodies and preferences.

I assume you were intending to provide a link? But I actually can't see one...

Also, yes, I can believe that some women can have orgasms from nipple stimulation...

But my fantasy has been about giving a woman an orgasm from breast stimulation alone, without direct/active nipple stimulation...

Specifically, kissing the smooth part of the woman's breasts just below each nipple, and on either side of each nipple...

Well, I didn't imagine it would be possible to give a woman an orgasm simply by repeatedly kissing her breasts...

I imagined a scenario where the man slowly, gradually undresses the woman, touches her, kisses her face, her neck, etc., caresses her back, her waist, her neck, maybe massages her, kisses her on the lips, sucks on her tongue, etc., performs cunnilingus, giving her her first orgasm, then removes her brassiere, penetrates her vaginally with his erect penis, some slow rhythmic pelvic thrusting, and all the while, her arousal/enjoyment is rising... she's enjoying the sensations...

And when he kisses her just below the nipple of her right breast, that triggers a much stronger orgasm for her than the first time... I imagined that the sensation, the feeling, the emotion and the shyness of being kissed in such an intimate place would trigger an intense orgasm for her...

Of course, I haven't been able to find evidence that this is possible...

And of course, I suppose physically it might be difficult for a man to penetrate her vaginally and kiss her on the breast(s) at the same time...

However, if women really have been known to have orgasms from a head massage, then maybe there's hope...

Also, yes, I can believe that some women can have orgasms from nipple stimulation...

But my fantasy has been about giving a woman an orgasm from breast stimulation alone, without direct/active nipple stimulation...

Specifically, kissing the smooth part of the woman's breasts just below each nipple, and on either side of each nipple...

Well, I didn't imagine it would be possible to give a woman an orgasm simply by repeatedly kissing her breasts...

I imagined a scenario where the man slowly, gradually undresses the woman, touches her, kisses her face, her neck, etc., caresses her back, her waist, her neck, maybe massages her, kisses her on the lips, sucks on her tongue, etc., performs cunnilingus, giving her her first orgasm, then removes her brassiere, penetrates her vaginally with his erect penis, some slow rhythmic pelvic thrusting, and all the while, her arousal/enjoyment is rising... she's enjoying the sensations...

And when he kisses her just below the nipple of her right breast, that triggers a much stronger orgasm for her than the first time... I imagined that the sensation, the feeling, the emotion and the shyness of being kissed in such an intimate place would trigger an intense orgasm for her...

Of course, I haven't been able to find evidence that this is possible...

And of course, I suppose physically it might be difficult for a man to penetrate her vaginally and kiss her on the breast(s) at the same time...

However, if women really have been known to have orgasms from a head massage, then maybe there's hope...

I don't see why you are distraught. The study was whether or not nipple stimulation enhances one's sexual experience, not whether or not it produces orgasms.

To reiterate: some women can orgasm through breast manipulation, some cannot. Some can orgasm through penetration alone, some cannot. Some can orgasm by thinking about a rubbing duckie in a pond of grape jelly dancing around a Swiffer mop, some cannot.

Orgasms, particularly female orgasms, are often as much as being in the right 'state of mind' than it is purely physical. I am not a possessor of a penis, but I can only assume that for a man to experience a satisfying orgasm, the same thing has to happen.

You are not, I repeat, not going to find conclusive clinical evidence on whether or not a woman can orgasm through breast play alone. I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the likelihood of a grant being awarded to study that kind of thing is minimal-to-none.

Additionally, please note that the study is only a 153 women in a very specific cultural and social setting, and I imagine economic as well. This is nowhere exhaustive and anyone who claims that this study reflects women's experiences in general has no idea what anthropological and sociological qualitative statistical analysis means and should go back to school. Additionally, the questionnaire said nothing 'do you orgasm through breast/nipple stimulation'?

Last edited:
Google this:

site:forum.literotica.com orgasm breast stimulation

Then play around with the terms in italic writing to get different results.

As FireBreeze points out, the finer you narrow your requirements of orgasm stimuli, the fewer cases you'll find that your actions produce the results you desire. Merely touching a breast alone is not likely going to get too many women off, you've got to stimulate the bits that are most sensitive and erogenous to her, namely her mind, but we're talking of the body at the moment.

Why do you want to limit yourself to breast flesh only and not also enjoy the areola and nipple? Why would you think that this would be erotic to a woman?

Trust me, I get the fascination with breasts, boy do I get the fascination! However, they are far more than a lumps of skin and fat, they are more than a nipple and areola. There are muscles, nerve endings, and most importantly, a woman behind them. You have to take into account the whole, before you can even think about singling out any one part, even then, the part you have to stimulate is her brain.

I don't see why you are distraught. The study was whether or not nipple stimulation enhances one's sexual experience, not whether or not it produces orgasms.

To reiterate: some women can orgasm through breast manipulation, some cannot. Some can orgasm through penetration alone, some cannot. Some can orgasm by thinking about a rubbing duckie in a pond of grape jelly dancing around a Swiffer mop, some cannot.

Orgasms, particularly female orgasms, are often as much as being in the right 'state of mind' than it is purely physical. I am not a possessor of a penis, but I can only assume that for a man to experience a satisfying orgasm, the same thing has to happen.

You are not, I repeat, not going to find conclusive clinical evidence on whether or not a woman can orgasm through breast play alone. I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the likelihood of a grant being awarded to study that kind of thing is minimal-to-none.

Additionally, please note that the study is only a 153 women in a very specific cultural and social setting, and I imagine economic as well. This is nowhere exhaustive and anyone who claims that this study reflects women's experiences in general has no idea what anthropological and sociological qualitative statistical analysis means and should go back to school. Additionally, the questionnaire said nothing 'do you orgasm through breast/nipple stimulation'?

What do you mean, "some cannot"? Poor, poor things! :eek:

The paper was published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine back in 2006 - and a brief report of the study was presented at the European Society of Sexual Medicine meeting at Copenhagen, December 2005 - around eight years ago.

A short questionnaire was administered to 153 women - described as "sexually experienced undergraduates", with 95% of them between 18 and 22.

So, out of 153 women
-
  • 81.5% reported that stimulation of their nipples/breasts caused or enhanced their sexual arousal
  • 78.2% agreed that when sexually aroused such manipulation increased their arousal
  • 59.1% had asked to have their nipples stimulated during lovemaking

I think I've heard of these researchers: Their other academic studies include that seminal work: "Bear turds and trees - What's the connection?"

fire_breeze said:
Some can orgasm by thinking about a rubbing duckie in a pond of grape jelly dancing around a Swiffer mop, some cannot.
Goddamn, that's hot. I came three fucking times just reading it.

*basks in afterglow with cigarette*

*chokes on cigarette smoke*

*dies*

I can orgasm through nipple/breast play alone, it's when they're slowly caressed, pinched, slapped and a combination of them all, teasingly. I'm disappointed I've not yet met another male or female who can say the same. In fact, when I had my first sexual experience, I tried to touch the guy's nipples and he hated it. I distinctly remember thinking that it was the same for all people up until that experience.

Back