Walking Dead(Closed)

She sniffed a few times, forcing back any threatening emotions along with the nausea, and then pushed gently back against the kind touch. She had to admit, it felt nice to feel another warm hand on her if only for a moment. She'd kept her distance at the church, they felt strange to her... nothing like her at all. This guy... well, when he wasn't being an ass he didn't seem too bad.

Deb followed his lead, hand wrapped around the stock of the shotgun and ready to pull it up into action if needed without notice. Sure enough, the small filling station looked pretty clear considering how clogged the freeway had been - but they were still pretty far away, even if it was crawling with walkers they wouldn't be too likely to notice them.

"Think it's safe?" She asked quietly, scanning the visual line for any sight of a possible disturbance. She knew he wouldn't have risked back tracking closer to the city if he didn't, but things could change in a few hours pretty easy. "I'll still go if you do, just making sure you want to do this."
 
"Last time I walked past here I cleared it out, but we should make sure it's clear again. You wanna take point since you have the shotgun or you wanna cover my back?" Matt asked as they approached the front door. He figured he would give her the option of what to do instead of telling her. As he waited for her answer he looked around and scanned the horizon. He didn't see anything which was a good sign that is was still clear.
 
She exhaled slowly, nodding as she raised the shotgun up to a defensive position - looking at him and then back to the building. "I can do it. Be ready to run if we hit walkers, though." That was what she had learned, one or two - take them out... more than that, run.

Slowly, Debbie picked her way through the debris of the filling station. The place wasn't in good shape, looked like the pumps were probably dry, the hoses pulled out and laying on the apron - the front windows had been smashed but it didn't look like the place was looted as bad as she had expected - they would have food and maybe batteries, matches, useful things to have. Then, as she crossed in front of the pumps and slowly approached the knocked out doors, she saw the lingering walker. "Got one." She whispered, raising the shotgun again for a headshot should she need to take one.

The thing, apparently once an employee still in uniform but looking like it had seen better days, lurched across the convenience store with no clear sense of what it was doing. Slowly, it paced from the counter to the coolers in clear view as though they weren't even there. And then, it turned right toward her and let out a low groan. "Do you want me to take the shot or are going for something more quiet?"
 
Matt followed Debbie closely as she cleared out the store. Staying right behind her keeping their backs covered. Bumping into her when she stopped at the sight of the zombie. Thinking it over before speaking. The smarter thing to do would be to take it out quietly since they were spending the night here.

"Alright hit him with your shotgun and knock him down and I'll finish him off with the knife. Unless you want to?" Matt figured it would be easier to get the knife in the zombie if they knock him down and since her gun was longer she'd have a longer reach. Pulling his knife out he was ready to hand it to her if she wanted to finish him off after knocking him down.
 
The girl nodded, steeling her nerves for the assault as it shambled towards them. With a deep breath, she flipped the safety on and turned the heavy shotgun - brandishing it like a club - and then made a run at it. She hadn't done much of the hand to hand stuff the churchies were working on - preferring to take that shift on the roof whenever possible. Didn't make sense at the time that she'd ever need to be that close to one of them - as long as she had a perch they couldn't get at she could blast them in the head until the shells ran out... hopefully not before they were all dead for good. But, what she had learned from enough of her dad's favorite action flicks was that it was always good to catch someone off guard from behind.

Darting to the left, she circled around behind the creature and then brought the stock down hard against the back of it's neck, connecting the butt before hauling back and bringing it down hard right on the top and dropping it to the apron. "Kill it, kill it, kill it..." She whispered as though it were a sewer roach on the bathroom floor back home - as if she'd ever actually seen one.
 
Matt kept the zombie's attention by yelling at it so it would keep following him, allowing Deb to come up behind him. She hit him hard because he flew down with a loud thump. She wanted him to finish the zombie off so he took his knife and with two quick motions thrust the knife into the side of the zombie's neck. The blood started pouring out as he wiped his knife off before putting it back in his belt.

Glancing at Deb and then outside he saw it was almost dark out. "Good job, but we really should get up on the roof. Grab whatever supplies are lying around then lets head up for the night."
 
Panting, her pulse pounding in her petite body as she stared down at the bloody pulp of the creature, Debbie tried her best to collect herself. The roof, right... of course, the roof would be secure from the threat. Shaking her head, she followed close behind - snatching a gallon of water and as much food as she could carry to save them from dipping into their stash any sooner than they had to.

The ladder was bolted onto the outside of the building, at the back by the employee door - she didn't like not being able to kick it away if there should be reason to but so far she'd figured either the zombies couldn't climb or at least wouldn't. The roof was flat, with a waist-high ledge running around the top. It was pretty nice compared to the church's steep angled roof with only the flat bell tower to provide a stable place to take aim. "Where should we set up?"
 
It wasn't until Matt followed Debbie up the ladder that he realized how great of an ass she had. In fact she had a perfect petite body but he never checked her out from all the commotion going on. He slung his bag up onto the roof then pulled himself up off the ladder. "We can set up wherever you want. And don't worry we are safe. I know that zombies can't climb ladders, but if you wanna set up on the opposite side of the roof from it that's fine." The roof was even hotter from the hot sun warming the surface all day, but hopefully it would cool down once the sun set. It was getting ready to set right now there was just a glimpse of day light left. It was a clear sky and you could already see the full moon barely starting to raise in the sky.
 
Debbie nodded and paced the perimeter of the roof again, eventually dropping her bag at the furthest corner facing the street - "If we're looking for survivors we'll want to keep watch on the road." She looked back at him across the flat, featureless beige tiled roof. She hadn't really thought about shelter or anything like that but as the sun started to sink past the ruined city it seemed like a good idea.

"Don't s'pose you've got an idea for some sort of shelter? Should be a nice night but if we're gonna set up here we'll need some shade by tomorrow afternoon." She turned and stared out at the road again - looking for any sign of movement.

It had been a couple months of hell of didn't look to be getting any better; she was supposed to have graduated high school the week before, not spent it up on a church roof eating beef jerky and canned oranges. Part of her couldn't help but wonder if anything would ever be normal again.
 
Matt remembered seeing a tarp down in the store and figured he could use that and the rope he found in the car earlier to make some sort of shelter. "Hmmm I actually do have an idea, but I have to go back down into the store real quick. Won't even take a minute" Before she had time to argue he started to climbed back down the rusted metal ladder. Making his way back into the dark store with his gun drawn just in case any more zombies wandered into the store. He felt around for the tarp on the dark shelf before holding it with one arm as he made his way back outside.

Tossing the folded blue tarp up onto the roof before starting to climb the ladder he made it back safely. There was part of the sigh of the gas station sticking up past the ledge of the roof on one side and an antennae near the other corner. Matt unfolded the tarp on the roof and saw it would reach perfectly between the two objects for a shelter. Pulling out the rope he threaded it through the holes on the edges of the tarp and tied it's corners to each side of the sign. Then he tied the other end of the tarp to the antennae and now they had a nice like shelter to shield them from any rain and the morning sun.

"How is that?" He asked Debbie as he walked towards the suitcase pulling off his sweat drench shirt and laid it on the edge of the roof by his suitcase. He popped it open and pulled out the towel he found. "Here you can use this to lie on. It may not be much but it's better than the hard ground."
 
Debbie had been busy watching the road - catching sight of a few walkers too far away to even know they were there it seemed. She was leaning against the ledge still when he approached, her shotgun poised to take aim at the first thing that moved below. When she heard his voice, she turned her head and looked at the good sized shaded spot - smiling a little when peeled off the shirt. She had to admit, she'd gotten pretty lucky to get stuck with a guy about her age - maybe even one that might be cute if she had half a brain to think about anything that wasn't surviving.

"Looks good." She smiled, small but genuine, and took the towel - it felt practically luxurious given the conditions she'd gotten used to. With a humorless chuckle, she shook her head and looked back out at the road. "Couple months ago I was fighting with my mom about wanting a spa weekend to get ready for graduation..." She thought about her sweaty, grungy clothes and the sneakers she'd ditched her pricey heels for; "Now a fucking towel and a can of Spam sounds like a slice of Heaven."

She looked back to him and shook her head; "Sorry, I know I shouldn't think about it - but sometimes I can't help but wonder if I'll ever get the little things again, you know? I mean the fancy stuff is nice, but I'd probably dodge walkers for a shower and a latte right about now."
 
Matt grinned when he heard Debbie telling her story as he sat on the opposite corner watching the empty road. "God I know I'd do anything for a shower right now. I wonder.." he paused as he leaned over the side of the roof looking for a hose nozzle. "If you wanna keep watch I'll go back down there and see if there is a hose somewhere. Because all you got me thinking about is a shower now" He laughed softly as he turned to Debbie wondering if she would wanna have a little risk for a possible relaxing reward.
 
The girl blinked several times, piecing together the crazy suggestion. "You're.... you're kidding, right? You want to go back down there by yourself for a hose?"

Granted things were pretty quiet, they didn't do a full sweep of the building and who knows if there even was one there at all. And there was no way of knowing if the water was still on even - there hadn't been running water at church so there was no way to know, really.

Realizing he was going to do it whether she agreed to it or not, she shrugged and didn't bother waiting for his answer; "Fine, yeah... I'll watch. Got two walkers a ways up the road but even you're making a bunch of noise they won't make it here till after you're back up."
 
Matt knew this was an unnecessary risk but if he did find a hose with running water but it would kill a few minutes that would be spent just sitting up on the roof. He climbed down the ladder and did a lap around the building looking for any hose or nozzle sticking out of the wall. He felt a rush of happiness when he found one. But after turning the knob and waiting several seconds for no water to come out he let out a sigh and headed back up the ladder. "Well it was worth a shot." He walked over to the tarp covered corner of the rook and sat down leaning up against the edge.

"So we are safe for the night so if you wanna try and get some sleep I'll stay up and keep watch. I always have trouble sleeping now a days. I think it might be the heat. I can't stand the heat." As Matt spoke he took out his bandana from his bag and used it to wipe some of the sweat from his head and upper torso.
 
She watched him the whole time he was down the ladder - letting her guard away from the walkers milling around on the other side of the road. He was an idiot, and she was pretty sure he'd end up getting himself killed before they found anywhere safer than the rooftop to bed down, but she could get why he took the risk.

Debbie scoffed slightly at the thought of sleep, casting her eyes briefly to the lean-to he'd built. "Aint the heat." She replied quietly, watching him mop away the sweat from his lean body - forcing herself not to look at him like a welcome piece of meat... but damn it, comfort was comfort and she hadn't had so much as a hug since things went to shit. "I stay up until I can't keep my eyes open anymore so I don't seen them in my dreams." He looked once more at their silent stalkers, clearly still unaware of their presence.

With a soft sigh, she took her shotgun and the puffy towel and walked to the makeshift shelter, tucking herself up under the blue plastic but not yet laying out the luxury of a soft, clean towel on the rooftop. Instead, she held it against her face and let herself enjoy it for as long as she could.
 
The look Debbie was giving him let Matt know she was thinking he was an idiot, but it didn't bother him. He was always looking for some excitement when not being chased by zombies. He watched as she enjoyed the feeling of the soft towel. "Feels good huh?" He said as he kicked off his boots and socks getting comfy for the night. "So tell me more about yourself before everything went to hell. What was your life like?"
 
Debbie stretched out on her side, rolled away from him and kicked off her slightly too-big sneakers. He had the right to ask, making small talk if nothing else and she couldn't hate him for wanting to break the deafening quiet. "I was a senior in high school - should have graduated last month." She sighed; "Cheer, dance, theater... Daddy said I just love to perform." She scoffed; "Doesn't matter much now, I guess. Pretty much everyone must be dead."

The thought chilled her, once again drawing her back to being locked in the minivan as her friends were ripped out the windows to their gruesome deaths. "I... I like shopping at the mall and going to the movies and hanging out with my stupid boyfriend..." Her throat began to close tight with a silent sob as she fought the tears back. She hadn't cried since the minivan ran out of gas what seemed like an age before - nothing would ever be the same again.
 
Keeping watch as he listened to Debbie's story of her life before the outbreak. She seemed like a normal girl, just like he was a normal college student, but they were both survivors now. He glanced over when he heard her voice change and knew she was becoming upset. Not knowing what else to do he walked over to her and sat down next to her holding his arms out for a hug. "Come here, everything is okay.. well actually it's the complete opposite.. but when we reach the infection free zone we are going to start new lives" Matt said softly trying to comfort her the best he could.
 
Debbie let out a soft whimper and looked up at him; ashamed to have her tough exterior slip even an inch under the circumstances. In quiet resignation, she let his warm arms embrace her - slowly nuzzling into his chest as she let herself relax for the first time in what felt like forever.

She'd heard the churchies talking about a supposed safe zone away from the monsters, but assumed it was at best a pipe dream - more likely a deathtrap. She was pretty sure nowhere was safe any more and for all she knew they may as well be the last twi survivors. It seemed a bit bleak, after all if she'd learned anything from her boyfriend's stupid video games it was that there were always groups of survivors.

"What about you?" She asked quietly, trying for anything to not think about exactly how fucked they were. "What were you like before you were a zombie slayer?" She smiled somewhat hesitantly at the mild barb, pushing her face harder against his entirely too comfortable shoulder.
 
Hearing her slight whimper he just started rubbing her back softly as he kept his other arm wrapped around her. "Well before I was this bad ass zombie killer..." Matt said with a slight laugh trying to brighten up her mood. "...I was just a normal college student. Was a freshman and was going there to be a web designer." He didn't want to let go of her because it had been so long since he held someone like this. It made him stop thinking about all the chaos for now.
 
The gentle touch of his hand and the way his arms hold her are almost too much... more human contact than she'd had in months all at once. Another silent sob wracked her small body and she dug her head even harder into his strong shoulder. "I hadn't even picked my major yet." She forces a laugh to hide another sob. "I was looking forward to spending the summer break fucking my boyfriend on some beach in Mexico... instead I'm doing this."
 
"Well that sounded like it would have been a great summer. But as hard as it may be you gotta try to not think about stuff like that. It only makes things seem worse." He kept rubbing her back as he spoke. He knew how hard it was because he fought all the time not to think about his lost family and friends and the hell he was caught in. Matt leaned back against the edge of the wall while still holding her against him.
 
"You're telling me." She scoffed against his shoulder, "what else am I supposed to do? I mean, we're going to do out here. Sure, we can kill as many as we can and try like hell to survive but really, what are the odds of making it out of this shit?"

She forced back the urge to cry again, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist and settling her weight fully against him. "I just don't want to die alone."
 
As Debbie let all her weight down on Matt he felt her breasts pressing into his body and it had been so long since he last felt anything like this. He tried to stay focused and not let sex take over his mind. "Hey you listen to me. I'm not gonna let you die alone. We are gonna stick together and I'm going to do everything I can to keep us safe. If it turns out that the safe zone is just a rumor then we will make our own safe zone. I'm gonna protect you the best I can Debbie"
 
Sure, it sounded great... but it also sounded crazy. She snorted and shook her head, looking up at him with tired, red-rimmed eyes. "You make it sound almost romantic." She teased, shaking her head. "I've got a couple dead friends that'd be all over you with that kind of thought."

As soon as she says it, she realizes just how crazy it sounds - how terrible and she sighs loudly; "God, what am I saying?"
 
Back
Top