A love in the stars (closed)

Alika watched him leave. She loved watching his body move, the muscles flowing smoothly as he walked. She knew she should get up, get dinner started And she would in a minute or two. Lying back in the warm covers, she thought again about the girl in the market wanting to know how she and Graken had met.

It had happened the way Alika had told the girl, her literally falling into his arms. But, of course, there was more to the story. They had met again at dinner at her friend's home. It turned out that Graken and Kaliph, her friend Sunai's husband, had been to the wars together. At diinner the men did not talk about the war but rather took turns telling the women stories of people they had met or things other soldiers had said or done, that had everyone laughing around the table. Sunai shared stories growing up on her planet where everyone came from huge families so there was always something going on. Alika told a little about her life on her planet, but mostly she listened to the others, listened to Graken's deep voice and watched his eyes change colors, flashing with humor.

After dinner, when Kaliph and Sunai were in the kitchen, Graken had surprised Alika by asking her if she would meet with him for lunch the next day in the local watering hole. He said that he wouldn't be on the planet long, but would like to spend a little time with her. Alika couldn't believe that someone so handsome and virile would want to spend his limited, valuable time with her, but she agreed to the lunch. It would give her something to tell her friends about back home.

Lunch led to dinner, then another dinner and long walks holding hands. They talked about small things like their favorite foods and more complex things like their goals in life. Alika explained that on her planet she had been trained in cooking and gardening. She was an herbalist and people came to her when they has minor ailments. Her birthing mother had shown Alika how to grow and use different plants by mixing tonics that would ease muscle pains, stomach aches, and other maladies.

Graken talked about his desire to become a pacifist and then help bring peace to the war-torn universe. He talked about books he had read and places he had seen. And Alika soon found herself falling for him. Falling hard. He had such a giving spirit and her two hearts swelled with her love for him. She learned to tell his mood by the color of his eyes, and that his horns were sensitive to touch. She learned that he found humor in most things and could laugh at himself, though he rarely actually smiled or laughed, she could see it in his eyes.

The night she was due to leave to go back to her planet, she thought her hearts would break. She had known from the start that he would be going his way and she would be returning to her home planet. That the time they spent together was just his way of passing time while on the planet. She was totally surprised when, after a long walk, he asked her to stay with him, to marry him. Alika had quickly said yes, hugging him tightly in joy.

They had a quick ceremony and spent their wedding night on his ship. She had discovered the joys found in his bed, and become pregnant that very night. They had been together ever since, traveling on his ship, making love in his bed, and learning more about each other.
 
Graken stepped onto the flight deck, he had found some pants along the way and tugged them on before entering. He paused running his eyes over the flight deck a small smile tugging on his face as took it all in. Graken loved to fly and pilot before when he had been the an officer in the war he hadnt gotten as much of a chance as he wanted to. Sure he was given this ship as his personal flag ship but it came with a yeomen and a warning to let him drive as much as possible. He was also a frontline man and he had rapidly figured out his superiors thought it was a waste to have him in the sky.

Not when he could be on the ground

He felt his breath hitch and he shook his head. He would not do it today... Would not allow himself to slip down in the darkness and mood. He murmured a quick prayer of calm and moved sliding into the pilots chair. A holographic screen popped up telemetry data and the status of the ship flitting by.

"How can I help you sir?" The simple AI asked

"Just checking in" Graken murmured his eyes sifting over the data "how is the ship?"

"Well sir operating at ninety five percent performance" The AI replied

"excellent" Graken said leaning back sipping his coffee "and how close are we to the planet?"

"A day or two give or take" The AI replied as Graken got up

"Good keep us on course" Graken said ducking out of the room and heading to the mess. He needed some thing more some thing better than Coffee. He made himself a quick breakfast and sat down eating and stretching out shirtless in his chair.
 
Alika woke and took a quick shower. She brushed out her long brown hair and wove the heavy strands into a thick braid. Dressing, she grabbed up the items from the hamper and walked down the walkway to the laundry room. She put the clothes into the steamer and headed for the kitchen.

"Good morning. How is the progress to the new destination?"

She pulled out some bread she had made earlier in the week and cut a couple of slices. She poured herself some milk and spread some strawberry jelly across each slice. Then she took a seat across from Graken.

"What can you tell me about the new place?"
 
"We should be there within a few days my love" Graken said nodding at her as she came into the room and leaning back to watch her move. A faint smile tugging on his lip as his eyes traveled up and down her frame. He waited as was his custom until she sat down with her own food before beginning to eat his once more.

"As for the planet I am afraid I dont know much about it" Graken said shrugging and continuing to eat "I know it has a stark population and is a very temperament world its also the only world thats close to the space station and the doctor willing to see us" He reminded her before finishing his food and taking her hand.

"We will have to tread carefully we are still wanted criminals and any bounter hunter could come and bring us even out here in fringe space this is merely a chance to stretch our legs"
 
Alika listened carefully to Graken's deep voice as he responded to her question. His blue eyes calm but serious. She knew that his reminder was important, not necessary as she never forgot the danger, but she tended to push it to the back of her mind. Being married to a criminal was not something Alika had ever considered as a part of her future, but her husband was not a real criminal. At least not in her mind. He had been labeled such because of his efforts in the war. He was dangerous, oh yes, but only when it was necessary to protect them.

She smiled to herself as her hand touched the blade in her tunic. Graken wasn't the only one that could be dangerous when it came to protecting their little family.
 
"Though I know you can take care of your self as well" Graken said noting the way she touched the blade and grinning "I hope it does not come to any violence though"

He was trying (mostly successfully) to stay on the path to peace to stave away the killing and the darkness. The horrors of war were still fresh on his mind and he had no desire to put them on his wife and his babies mind as well.

He shook his head turning and smiling at her instead "I know you wished to send a message to mother however I am not sure that is a good idea I do not want them tracking us to the planet"
 
Alika nodded, disappointed about not being able to contact her mother. Graken would let her contact her mother when it was safe, she knew. Her questions about her pregnancy could wait. There was still several months to go before the birthing. She slid her had down across her stomach caressing the area. She knew the baby was too small to kick yet, but she looked forward to feeling that sensation.

"I understand. You will let me contact her when it is safe, though, won't you?" she asked smiling. "I have questions, that you dear husband, cannot answer." Her eyes shone with humor as she pictured her very male husband's face if she were to ask him about stretch marks, piercings, and pre-natal care.

"What are your plans for the day? I want to finish making the jellies with the fruit we got yesterday and then I need to spend some time in the garden area. Will we be staying on the ship while we are docked or have housing elsewhere? If we will be off the ship, I want to make sure the watering system is automated."

Alika's garden produced the vegetables they ate while traveling which was important because many times they went for long periods of time without stopping for anything other than fuel. Her garden also provided herbs for seasoning food and for preparing the tonics that kept both of them healthy. On rare occasions when they did spend time off the ship, she had used her tonics to help some of those people on those remote out-lying areas that did not have access to doctors and healers.

Alika rose and began to clear away their breakfast dishes. She refilled Graken's coffee cup, then began taking out the supplies she needed to make her jelly.
 
"I understand" Graken said a faint smiling tugging on his mouth as he regarded her "I cant make any promises as to when I do not want either of our forces tracking us down through your mother or threatening her there surely watching her now"

"My plans for the day" Graken said stroking his stubble and chin "I am not sure" He admitted being unused still to having his day available for his own. In the army it had been action action action with little to no hint otherwise. Now that he was out and had his own time.

He found himself not sure what to do

"I guess I will prepare for our descent" He said finally shrugging and nodding his head to thank her "We will be staying on the ship I mean unless you want to set up tents I doubt there would be any homes for us to stay in"
 
Alika nodded thoughtfully. "It would be nice to spend a night or two off the ship just for a change, but a tent might bring attention we don't want. I guess we can just wait until we get there to see what it is like. I wouldn't mind camping, but I do admit to liking our modern conveniences," she grinned impishly, "like indoor plumbing."

As Graken mentioned not being sure of what to do, Alika could see a brief flash of light in his eyes. She knew he felt restless at times, was used to being active. It was hard sometimes to fill in the time when they were on long flights. The AI did most of the work of actually flying the ship and a person could only workout or, in her case, garden for just so many hours a day. She wondered if she should ask him if he wanted to help her, but as fast as the flash of uncertainly came, it was gone. He was already heading out the door to prepare for descent, before she could get out the offer.

She smiled to herself thinking maybe later she would track him down and see if she could persuade him into joining her in her favorite way to pass time.

Meanwhile, she had better get this jelly making business completed. Two hours later, there were fresh jars of jelly in the pantry, the kitchen had been cleaned up, and she was ready to spend time in the garden.
 
Last edited:
Graken spent his two hours spinning his heels

The life of peace while being good on his soul was as the older man had found out NOT good with his time. That wasnt to say he didnt have hobbies out side of combat like reading but there was only so much reading he could do every day. Just like there was only so many repairs the ship needed and since he had done those things earlier.

He was as they said out of luck

He wandered the ship for a while before he finally decided to meditate. He clambered up the steps going to the astro garden he had installed at Alika's request. It had turned out to be a blessing in and of itself. The oxygen was cleaner and they had a fresh supply of vegetables and food. He breathed it in allowing a small smile to form on his face as he drank in the artificial environment. He began to make his way down the path his fingers running against some of the simple trees and leaves before he found a spot and sat down.

He crossed his legs and closed his eyes breathing in through his nose and out through his mouth. He worked on his breathing slowing it down as he got lost in the peace of the garden.
 
Placing her hand against her back, Alika leaned back on her heels. She had spent the last half hour tending to the garden on her knees. She loved the scent of the rich soil and the growing herbs. As always, after spending time among the plants, she was filled with a sense of peace and home. She took a moment to thank the Goddess Mother Tisha for her protection of all living things. Sliding her hand up under her tunic, she placed her fingers on the sacred arrow dangling below her naval. Softly she spoke the words she had learned at the knee of her prayer mother:

"Oh, Mother Tisha, Goddess of all Tishuans and all living things in the universe. We thank you for your protection, your guidance, and the gifts of plants and creatures that inhabit the universe. We ask that we may serve you always."

Then Alika added her own touches:

"Thank you, Mother Tisha, for bringing this special man into my life. You have blessed Graken and I with a child of our own and I pray that the child will come into the universe healthy and safe. Please, help Graken and I to find our way to somewhere we can live safely and raise this young one without fear or danger. Help Graken to find the peace he so desperately seeks and has earned. Bless our marriage so that we may continue to learn and grow together with your guidance. Amen"

A moment of silence followed the soft prayer. Rising, Alika moved toward the corner of the garden area where Graken had installed a table and sink so that she could prepare her healing tonics. The warm water felt good as it washed away the garden soil still clinging to her hands. As she dried her hands, her eyes wandered over the small jars of dried herbs, mentally cataloguing which jars were full and which would soon need refilling. Raising her eyes to the drying racks, she made sure that those plants that were in the process of drying were the ones she would need to replenish her stock.

Satisfied that all was well in this area, she turned towards the small area where various green plants grew. These plants supplemented the oxygen supply used on the ship and gave the area a small park-like feel. Although the ship didn't have trees as large as fruit bearing trees, these smaller plants worked well in the confined space. She headed toward the small bench that Graken had placed in a nook that created a welcoming place to sit and read. As she rounded the small purple smoke tree, she found the small bench and sat down.

Stretching her legs out in front of her, she looked up and froze. Graken was sitting among some trees, legs crossed, eyes closed. Not wanting to disturb him, she rose again hoping to escape before he heard her.
 
"you know you do not have to leave" Graken said not bothering to open his eyes. He had sensed her through the forest drawn comfort in that even. Once he had centered himself in the small forest/garden the world had opened up. The sway of the trees the few bugs that were in the artificial garden and even more importantly HER. He used her as a focusing and as a melody focusing on her until every thing else faded away.

"I would love for you to stay as a matter of fact" He said opening on eye and giving her a small smile "I must say I realize why you find such peace up here it is soothing"

"Peace is some thing I am still striving for and learning about" Graken said shifting slightly "it is one thing to say you want a life of peace and an entirely other to do it I have come to find out"

"It was bred into me this horrible war our two species fight every day" Graken said opening both eyes now to look at her "I have been a soldier all my life now that I wish to turn away from it I wonder what I should do with my self? Besides protecting you and our child and being the best father and husband I can be I feel.... rudderless as one might say"
 
Sitting down next to Graken, Alika slid her hand into his and leaned against his broad shoulder. His words made her ache for him, and she felt unsure of what to say or if anything should be said. He didn't usually share his feelings and she appreciated that he would do so now, here, in this place of peace.

Alika struggled, by nature she was a fixer. If there was a problem, she would do her best to help solve it. But Graken's loss of direction was compounded by his being wanted for his participation in the war. If it wasn't for that, they could settle somewhere and perhaps he could find something to occupy his mind and hands. But what could he do when he spent all his time on this ship moving from one spot in the universe to another unable to spend more than a couple of days in any one place?

She looked down at their joined hands, hers so much smaller than his. He was such a strong, capable, giving man and she didn't know how to help him. Her heart ached.

She squeezed his hand gently, wanting him to know she supported him in anything he did.

"What did you do before the war? Before you became a soldier?"
 
"before the war" Graken said raising an eyebrow "before the war I was a child and even then I was trained" he murmured his eyes growing distant as he recalled the training of his childhood. He shook himself out of such thoughts however before they could pull him in and drag him down deep into the endless pain of his life before her.

"my past does not help my future as much as I wish I could reflect on it" Graken said stroking her small hand and bringing it to his lips "the future however is ours even though I am lost home is you you and this child" He said getting up and pulling her up.

"I promise I will never let you and this baby down my love" He said repeating it once more in his native tongue "come show me your garden and what you have been planting" he said tugging her towards the plants in the distance.
 
Taking Graken's hand, Alika led him to the area where the vegetables and herbs were planted. She hadn't planted anything new lately, but she pointed out which plants were where. She was pretty sure Graken wasn't all that interested in the finer details, but he wanted something on which to focus his mind.

Alika felt sad. She didn't pity Graken, but she was sad for the little boy that had never had a chance to be a little boy. On her planet, children were taught to read and write, to work the fields and gardens, to use the plants for tonics, but they were also allowed to run free and create imaginary characters. Every child had a birthing mother, but all the older females became mothers to all the children. All the children were raised to believe that all people were part of an extended family. It sounded like being a Miku child was a lonely way to grow up.

"Here is aloe vera, used for cuts and burns. chamomile for soothing stomachs and I put it in the tea for nighttime, peppermint is for headaches or sinus problems and I use it when cooking or baking those little green cookies that seem to disappear quickly." Alika grinned up at Graken. "Over here is white willow bark which helps with joint aches and pains and to lessen inflammation. This is arnica which helps to heal bruises quicker."

She continued to point out half a dozen more and explained their various uses. Turning to face Graken, she slid her hands up around his shoulders and tugged him down. Hugging him tightly, she kissed him softly.

"Come, I find this little one desires some lunch." She took Graken's hand and led him towards the kitchen.
 
Graken listened to her but he only paid half attention to her words. Instead he focused more on the melody of her voice once again drawing a great peace and comfort from her. Even know he could still feel the pull that he had felt when he first laid eyes on her. She was like the eye of a storm a safe and beautiful place for him to use as safe harbor. He supposed in a way that made him the storm but he could live with that live with it because that would make her his eye, his center.

"Thats a good idea" He said smiling at her and taking her hands "I am sure you can use some lunch as well" He reminded her pulling her back towards the hatch leading down. They stepped back onto the main deck of the ship and Graken brought her to their small little kitchen. He let her go letting her go about and do her thing in the kitchen as he sat down.

"ETA ship?" Graken asked pouring himself some water

"One more day General"
 
After a simple lunch, Alika spent the rest of the day reading and napping. She was excited about the new planet. She would never have thought she would enjoy learning about the other planets as much as she had with Graken. Alika was a homebody, her world centered around her family, gardening and healing. She had been to a couple of other planets close to her home to visit friends, but Graken was introducing her to a whole universe of different landscapes, people and ways of life.

She wondered about the new place. What would the people look like? What would the planet look like? Would there be fresh water? What about the plants and animals, would there be some she knew or didn't know? How would she and Graken spend their time on the planet? So many questions. She couldn't wait to find some answers.

Since they would be staying on the ship, there wasn't much Alika needed to do to prepare the garden or even to pack. The morning of disembarkment, she found herself sitting in the co-captain's chair on the bridge of the ship looking out the huge window wondering which of the many small planets in the distance was the one.
 
Graken turned to her reaching out and taking her hand and giving it a soft squeeze
"I am not thinking it should be a hard landing but buckle up please just in case"

He turned rereading the data as he let the auto pilot bring them into orbit. Once they were in orbit he took manual control guiding the ship down gently as he kept one eye on the readings. By all accounts it was safe with shielding for any one to reenter a planet however given that she was pregnant and Graken tended to be the posterboy for over cautious he took no chances. The ship and the shields absorbed the worst of it and soon they were breaking through and soaring above the clouds.

"Lets see what type of planet we have found our self on my love" Graken said a cocky smile on his face as he brought the ship down. They cleared the clouds and found themself over a lush green forest a pair of mountains hung in the distance and Graken could see a large lake in the distance that looked perfect to set up camp. Graken piloted the ship down coasting over the tree line and looking out for a landing place. He soon found one right near the lake a hidden clearing in the forest. He touched them down their deploying the landing gear as he turned to her.

"shall we go stretch our legs my love" he said smiling and getting up offering out his hand.
 
Alika watched with excitement as the ship broke through the clouds. The lush greenery of the forest was something she had never seen before. Most of the planets she had seen, which granted, weren't many, but most had a very urban feel to them. Lots of buildings spread over flat landscapes. Even her own home of Tisha was flat. Large parcels of agricultural land broken up by hundreds of small rivers which kept the soil moist and productive. There the fields were filled with shades created by the lettuce, asparagus and broccoli. Here the greens were darker, richer, more lush created by the hard wood trees and ferns. It was truly a paradise.

"Oh, Graken," she sighed with pleasure. "It is beautiful. I have never seen such deep green colors before. I wonder if the leaves turn color in the autumn? And look at those mountain peaks reflected in the lake. This is perfect place for wandering. I am so excited."

As Graken held our his hand, Alika let him pull her out of the seat. She rose on her toes and kissed him with excitement. "I can't want to walk among the trees and taste the water of that lake. I hope it is as refreshing as it looks."

Tugging on his hand, she practically danced with excitement down the ship's ramp. When her feet touched the ground, she dropped his hand and spun around in a circle. The air was redolent with the scents of pines and loamy soil.

Graken had landed in an area that was isolated and she didn't see any beings or buildings. She could hear the sound of a bird in the distance, but didn't recognize the sound. She threw her arms around her husband's waist and hugged him tightly. "It is perfect," she announced, eyes shining with joy.
 
Graken laughed wrapping his arms around his wife and giving her a firm hug before releasing her he looked around his eyes taking in every thing and the beauty of the terra around him.

"I agree it is quite perfect" He finally said glancing over at her "Tonight if we find a nice spot we can sleep underneath the stars instead of the ship if you want" He said leaning in and giving her a soft kiss.

"For now how about we explore a little bit" He said threading their fingers together "I know little about the area or even the planet so we must be careful however I see no reason why we cant go down to the stream sample the water and get a lay of the land so to speak" he said gently leading her down what looked like a path the inhabitants used.
 
Together, holding hands, they walked towards the lake. Alika turning and twisting trying to take in everything she could see. There were so many different plants she had trouble identifying them all. Every few feet she would stop and stoop down to look at a new flower or lean over backwards trying to see to the tops of the trees.

There were unfamiliar scents in the air, and she spotted some birds sitting up in the trees talking to each other. She was surprised that there weren't more four legged animals and wondered if that meant the water was bad. She hoped not, a bad water supply would mean a very short visit to this amazing place.

"Those birds are making such a racket. I wonder if they are talking about us?" she laughed.

It took them a much longer time to get to the lake with all her stops and starts, but eventually they stood on the edge of an immense blue lake.
 
Graken ambled along the path with his wife taking in both her bueaty and the bueaty that surrounded them. It felt so good after having been on a ship for so long to feel the terra of a planet. With every step he took he felt the ground crunch underneath his feet, and their was a pleasant breeze coming in that seemed to buffet them along.

"I would hope so" Graken said taking her hand and looking up at the birds "We are a hot commodity in the universe even among the birds" He said looking up at them just as they cleared the trees and reached the lake. Graken gave a low whistle as they reached the lake taking in the deep blue water that stretched out for a few miles.

"we can set up camp here if you would like?" Graken said taking in the water "its a cozy spot I can see about finding some tents for us if any thing we can at least come here often since it isnt far from the ship"
 
"Really?" Alika asked. "That would be wonderful. It would be nice to sleep out here under the stars in the fresh air. I think I could sit and stare at the mountains, watch the wind ripple the water on the lake, and listen to the birds for hours."

Then she grinned and admitted, "Well maybe I couldn't sit still for hours."

Sitting down, she pulled off her boots and rolled up the legs of her pants. Walking carefully to the edge of the water, she put her foot in. Jumping back, she shrieked, "Oh that is cold!" Then she tried it again. After a few more attempts, letting her body get used to the colder temperatures, she was standing ankle high in the cold water. She could feel the mud squish between her toes and giggled.

After a short time, she stepped back and carefully washed off her feet. Putting her boots back on, she went over to where Graken was standing.

"I love you and I love this place," she said quietly. Putting her arms around his waist, she stood there peacefully leaning into his body, soaking up his strength.
At that moment, although she knew danger was always possible, she felt safe and content to just stand there in his arms.
 
He smiled watching her enjoy the water with his eyes why he let his other senses watch over them both. The man in him refused to be calm or to let his guard down and even though it had lead to her calling him tense (more than a few times) he refused to compromise on her safety.

But he could still enjoy the fruit of that safety

"As I love you" Graken said wrapping his arms around her and holding her close "Now and forever and in this life and the next just like I vowed at our wedding" He said kissing the top of her head before letting her go.

"come its getting late and we should get back to the ship" Graken said eyeing the woods warily "We do not know what kind of beasts lurk inside just yet"
 
Holding hands, the two walked back to the ship. The return trip was much faster than their walk to the lake. The air grew cooler quickly as the day drew to a close, and Alika was ready to get back on board the ship. It had been a wonderful day and her body felt strong and relaxed after the exercise.

On ship, she began to prepare their evening meal. Her stomach growling as the aroma of the herbs filled the area. "Are you hungry, little one? I know I am," she said.

A short time later, she set down platters of salad, stew and warm bread on the table.
 
Back
Top