What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quit lying.




I have consistently said that we are in a Lost Decade and that most of the market increases are the first sign of monetary inflation.


Then you've been saying there's a bubble. The market has increased what, 6,500 points under what you believe are the auspices of the "Lost Decade" and incoming hyperinflation? Surely you must mean that the market is not correctly valued if we're about to enter some kind of downward spiral. That means there's a bubble.
 
That's the beauty of AJnomics. You can blather about DOOOOM and GLOOOOM a dozen times....all it takes is one stock market downswing or unemployment upswing and our little market timer will bray "I TOLD YOU SO!" for the next six months (and subsequently declare he got out of the market "just in time")

Situational Native American enjoys speakin' with forked tongue!!


We keep hearing from him...

1) The market is going to crash any day now due to hyperinflation, deflation, stagflation, or any one of his many predictions of a double-dip recession.

2) "What's that? The market is recovering nicely? Oh, well um... I'm actually in the market and um, yeah... it's still about to crash but I've got my money there. Until it goes down then I didn't have my money there".
 
The crowd of Usual Dumbfucks won't click this link.


Private Sector To Lead Recovery

Applying the CICI formula to individual market sectors shows that respondents believe the private-sector markets will lead the recovery. The petroleum market is perceived to be the strongest, with a CICI rating of 76, followed by multi-unit residential and power, both at 71, and health care at 69.


The retail market, once the lowest-rated market, rose to a CICI rating of 51, showing some optimism that this sector finally has stabilized, while the commercial office market was rated at 47, up from 39 in the fourth quarter. The only market to fall was the entertainment and theme-park sector, which dropped a point to 41.
 
Or this one.

NEW YORK—U.S. stocks rose, boosted by encouraging data on consumer spending, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 recorded their biggest first-quarter point gains ever.

Dow Industrials rose 994 points, or 8.1%, and the S&P 500 rose 150.87 points, or 12%, during the first three months of 2012, amid signs of a strengthening U.S. economic recovery.

On Friday, stocks overcame a mid-morning swoon to finish higher. The Dow gained 66.22 points, or 0.4%, to 13212.04, and the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index broke a three-session streak of declines to gain 5.19 points, or 0.4%, to 1408.47.

The Nasdaq Composite declined 3.79 points, or 0.1%, to 3091.57. The Nasdaq rose 486.42, or 19%, in the first quarter, narrowly missing its biggest point gain since 2000.
 
Stocks have best 1st quarter results since dot-com bubble in 1998

LINK

AJ and the DOOOOOM-n-GLOOOOOOOM gang will be along shortly why this is bad news for President Obama.
 
There Obama Goes Again
By Larry Kudlow, NRO
March 30, 2012 4:00 P.M.

As Ronald Reagan famously said, “There you go again.”

...

Obama is obsessed with oil and gas. He is a prisoner of the left-wing environmental groups. And really, he’s extending his leftist class-warfare attack from rich people to successful oil and gas producers.

What seems to have Obama especially steamed is the fact that the conventional-energy companies are profitable. Especially the five largest. So he wants to tax them. He then wants to redistribute their income to his favorite green-energy firms. Sound familiar? I don’t know which is more important to the president — the fact that he hates fossil fuel, or the fact that he hates success. Or that he wants an energy-entitlement state.

But here’s what I do know, factually.

Oil companies have an effective corporate tax rate well above 40 percent. And they operate within one of the highest-taxed industries in America. According to the Tax Foundation, for more than 25 years, oil and gas companies have sent more tax dollars to Washington and state capitals than they earned in profits. That’s a fact.

Single-handedly, oil and gas companies finance over 10 percent of non-defense discretionary spending within the U.S. budget. According to the Wall Street Journal, ExxonMobil, the world’s largest energy firm, paid out $59 billion in total U.S. taxes over the five years prior to 2010 while earning only $40.5 billion in domestic profits.

And Obama wants to raise taxes on conventional-energy firms by somewhere between $40 billion and $80 billion? Whatever happened to the supply-side principle that if you tax something more, you get less of it?

But with gasoline prices headed towards $5 a gallon, and with oil prices over $100 a barrel, virtually the whole country outside of the White House wants more oil, more retail gas for the pump, and more energy supplies everywhere in order to bring prices down. Raising taxes won’t do it.

Make no mistake about it: Fossil fuel is going to drive the American economy for decades to come. Green energy is not.

Obama’s other line of attack is that oil companies shouldn’t get any subsidies. They made too much money for that. Well, I’m against oil subsidies. There’s about $90 billion worth in the federal budget. Better to end them, slash corporate tax rates across the board, and let the free market decide energy policy and production.

But on the subject of subsidies, so-called renewable-energy subsidies (think Solyndra) are 49-times greater than fossil-fuel subsidies, according to studies by the Congressional Research Service. And the Congressional Budget Office says renewable green energy received 68 percent of energy-related tax preferences in fiscal year 2011, while fossil fuels got only 15 percent. Additionally, oil, natural gas, and coal received 64 cents per megawatt hour in subsidies, while wind power alone received $56.29 per megawatt hour. That’s 100-times what fossil fuels got.

By the way, the so-called subsidies that Obama is talking about are really depreciation write-offs for investment. Oil companies get a 6 percent deduction from income. Most manufacturing industries get 9 percent. And every company in the economy is eligible for faster investment write-offs.

Frankly, the most pro-growth corporate-tax policy would be 100 percent cash-expensing for new investment, a slashed corporate tax rate, and no more subsidies, preferences, and carve-outs. That would be an unbelievable job-creator....
 
The chief problem with money, as Walter Russell Mead observes, is that the Blue Model is running out of it. Once upon a time the money was just out there. The dollars were mooing and lowing like the buffalo on the Great Plains. The only problem was divvying it up. But now that it’s getting harder to come by a whole host of professions based on the dollar hunting and skinning business is becoming endangered. Mead describes the situation in his vivid prose:

The dream machines of the blue social engineers don’t sail serenely across the azure sky anymore. Think of the various carbon exchanges and environmental planetary schemes; think of high speed rail proposals like California’s $100 billion train to bankruptcy; think of Obamacare. These days the experts, “social entrepreneurs” and smart young blue twenty somethings fresh out of the Ivy League whomp up social programs with as much verve and dedication as their New Deal and Great Society predecessors, but the new Dreamliners don’t take off. At most they roll around the runway, emitting clouds of noxious smoke; wings fall off, windows pop out, turbines misfire and the tires go flat.
The Big Tent is the house that jack built. And jack has left town.
Richard Fernandez
http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2012/03/30/the-house-that-jack-built/?singlepage=true
 
BAGHDAD — Iraq has halted oil revenues to the autonomous Kurdish
north.

The Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) said Baghdad has been withholding
pledged oil revenues since at least October 2011. KRG said it was owed $1
billion for 2011 alone.

“Furthermore, not a single dollar has been received for exports in
2012,” KRG said. “They are failing to meet their obligations and honor their
payment commitments to the KRG.”

In a statement on March 15, KRG, with a capacity of 250,000 barrels per
day, warned that it would stop crude oil production unless Baghdad resumes
payment.
http://www.worldnewstribune.com/201...ing-oil-revenues-threaten-to-stop-production/
 
I think it's almost time for AJ to create another alt... This one has a lot of incorrect predictions on it already.
 

Thank you for the ad hominem response. I'm sure you're setting an excellent example for your "daughter".

I think it's amusing that gold, which traditionally has been where goldbugs and investing cowards such as yourself flee to in times of uncertainty, has had a beta that can only be described as a "whipsaw" the past 10 months. In the meantime, stocks have enjoyed a gentle, steady rise.

I imagine this keeps a number of fools who invested in gold recently up at night, fraught with worry.

...but I know this doesn't apply to you, Mr. Market Timer. You've been timin' the market, buyin' low and sellin' high, for the entire ten+ years I've known you.

....Sure, you'll never give us details of these sooper-trades, coz that's "proprietary"...but since you're in that .0000001 per cent of successful investors, I'm truly surprised that Wall Street hasn't beat a path to your teepee.
 
Thank you for the ad hominem response. I'm sure you're setting an excellent example for your "daughter".

I think it's amusing that gold, which traditionally has been where goldbugs and investing cowards such as yourself flee to in times of uncertainty, has had a beta that can only be described as a "whipsaw" the past 10 months. In the meantime, stocks have enjoyed a gentle, steady rise.

I imagine this keeps a number of fools who invested in gold recently up at night, fraught with worry.

...but I know this doesn't apply to you, Mr. Market Timer. You've been timin' the market, buyin' low and sellin' high, for the entire ten+ years I've known you.

....Sure, you'll never give us details of these sooper-trades, coz that's "proprietary"...but since you're in that .0000001 per cent of successful investors, I'm truly surprised that Wall Street hasn't beat a path to your teepee.


Dude, gold has had a steady climb since the early 90's, I know this because I bought a fund back then and I've watched it go up and up. I havent really paid attention to it lately, if its sinking now, so be it, thats like saying the Lakers are average this year, negating the fact that Kobe has 5 rings.

What goes up always comes down....
 
You mentioned dot-com bubble?


The last time it was this high?


Un-fucking-believable...



Are you putting your money where your mouth is? You've cashed out of the market, right? What sort of lunatic would invest in this bubble that's about to pop???
 
Dude, gold has had a steady climb since the early 90's, I know this because I bought a fund back then and I've watched it go up and up. I havent really paid attention to it lately, if its sinking now, so be it, thats like saying the Lakers are average this year, negating the fact that Kobe has 5 rings.

What goes up always comes down....

I'm not saying gold hasn't had a good run. If you really are in a gold mutual fund, then every quarter you'll see a disclaimer along the lines of "past performance is no indication of future results'.

The slow, steady rise of gold became a trampoline bounce starting last summer. Spiked to $1900/oz, plummeted to $1600, up to $1800, down to $1700. It's been anything BUT stable, which was supposedly one of its enduring features.

More ominously, Gold has fallen below it's 200-day moving average for the first time in 30-odd years, which is usually....USUALLY....a good "bear" trend.

So if you're not an AJ-class market timer, hang on to your hat, you're in for quite a ride!!
 
It's always painful to take on the myths and ideological narratives of the left. The pundits of the liberal (excuse me, "progressive") media make a pretense of listening to reason, but when their views are challenged, they become abusive. You are not honestly trying to find the truth; you are making up data, actually lying. If you are skeptical about anthropogenic global climate change, you're not just a skeptic—you're a denier (as in Holocaust denier). And if you disagree with the standard left-wing narrative about the financial crisis, even if you can support your position with data, you are using the "Big Lie" technique (again, repulsively invoking the likes of Goebbels). This attitude and way of dealing with disagreement should have no place in our political system, but seems to have become the stock in trade of the most respected spokesmen of the left.

One good example of this is my dispute with Joe Nocera, a columnist for the New York Times. It began in January 2011, shortly after I had dissented from the majority report of the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission (FCIC). In that dissent, I argued that the financial crisis was caused by the government's housing policies, and not—as the government and the mainstream media had been saying since 2008—by predatory lending, greed on Wall Street, and insufficient regulation of the private sector.

As outlined in my dissent, the principal executors of these government policies were two government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which were chartered by Congress to operate a secondary market in residential mortgages. Under a 1992 law, Fannie and Freddie were required to meet certain "affordable housing" goals when they bought loans from banks and other mortgage originators. Initially, the quota was that 30 percent of all loans they acquired had to be made to borrowers at or below the median income in their communities.

This initial goal was probably realistic: it was possible to meet a 30 percent quota without compromising underwriting standards. However, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) was given administrative control of the housing goals, and over time, on its own initiative and under pressure from Congress, HUD raised and tightened them. By 2000 they reached 50 percent, and 55 percent by 2007, with special subgoals that imposed quotas for borrowers at or below 80 percent and 60 percent of median income. These more aggressive goals required the GSEs to reduce their underwriting standards, so much so that by 2008, just before the financial crisis, the GSEs and other government agencies held or had guaranteed more than 20 million subprime and other low-quality loans-74 percent of the 28 million such loans then outstanding. It was the delinquencies and defaults among these loans, I argued, that caused the mortgage meltdown and the financial crisis.

Referring to my dissent in his Times column, Nocera called it "loony," at the same time reasserting the conventional narrative of the left: that while Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had made some regrettable errors in buying subprime and other low-quality loans, they had simply followed Wall Street in search of market share and profit. Admittedly, "loony" isn't a terrible epithet, but it does the job; it delegitimizes the argument and places it outside the permissible range of reasoned discussion. But things got a lot worse, and Nocera and his ideological ilk got a lot more abusive, as my dissent began to garner more attention and adherents.

In early 2011, it was easy to dismiss an argument that the financial crisis would not have occurred but for the government's housing policy. The idea that Wall Street and the private sector were responsible for the crisis was deeply imbedded in the public's consciousness after the 2008 presidential campaign. Barack Obama had declared in the debates with John McCain that the crisis was the result of "Repub-lican deregulation," and McCain himself stated that "Wall Street greed" was responsible. This narrative was picked up and treated by the media as received wisdom.

But the claim that the financial crisis would not have occurred without the government's housing policies had one important asset the left's narrative lacked: it was based on data. The fact that, in June 2008, 74 percent of all subprime and other low-quality mortgages were on the books of the GSEs and other government-backed or regulated entities was a pretty good indication that the government had created the demand—that is, a buyer—for these mortgages. The foundation of the left's narrative, on the other hand, was made up of anecdotes-stories about predatory lending, about greed, about inadequate risk management and inattentive regulators. That was the essence of the FCIC's majority report, from which I'd dissented.

All these bad things occurred, of course, but the policy question-the reason the whole issue is important-was whether these problems would have caused a financial crisis on their own, without the government's role in fostering the creation of vast numbers of substandard mortgages. If lack of adequate regulation caused the financial crisis, the Dodd-Frank Act was the right answer. On the other hand, if the crisis would not have occurred but for the government's housing policy, Dodd-Frank was a counterproductive overreaction that would ultimately harm our financial system and suppress economic growth. When three-quarters of all subprime mortgages were on the government's books, the data says that the government's housing policy was the principal reason for the mortgage meltdown and the resulting financial crisis.
Peter J. Wallison
http://spectator.org/archives/2012/04/02/the-big-lie-defense
 
Are you putting your money where your mouth is? You've cashed out of the market, right? What sort of lunatic would invest in this bubble that's about to pop???

You probably should read more carefully...




Already talked about this. I know Throb ignored it and will continue to manufacture whatever position he thinks will make me look stupid.

:) Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does.
 
Valley Forge illustrates how government works on all occasions:

Washingtons command was literally naked and famished and unpaid, while Congress and the officer corps schemed for servants, expensive carriages, and the other accouterments of elevated station.

Nothing changes till crisis threatens the elites.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top