How much HTML/CSS can you put into a story?

You've got things the way you like - I'm happy for you.

But my point was that many people (including quite a few who use Chrome) do customise their browsing to tweak fonts, sizes, colours, and backgrounds, and that authors who want to do fancy formatting may want to consider how that interacts with viewer customisation.

If the whole point of your response is that you personally don't use your browser's customisation options, I guess that's relevant to authors whose target audience is "Zeb Carter", but otherwise it just doesn't seem like it makes much difference. There are still many other readers who do.

This seemed weird to me - why would it wrap to a fixed width on two browsers but a fixed character count on a third? So I installed Chrome and tried it out, and... I have no idea what you're talking about. Lit does not "force it to display at 80 char". When I adjust the font size, it handles it gracefully - just like the other browsers - by wrapping to a fixed column width: larger font = fewer character per line. (Screenshots attached - for the largest font it works out at about 50 char/line.) Still no left-right scrolling required.

Where are you getting this "forces to display at 80 char" from?

Instead of going to settings every time you want the size to change, try ctrl + or ctrl -

Instead of going to settings every time you want the size to change, try ctrl + or ctrl -

Ah, right. Magnifying the whole view, rather than adjusting the font - yeah, you can do that if you want a quick-and-dirty way to blow up the screen, and if you do it far enough you will indeed need to scroll left-right. But that's exactly why it's not a great option for customisation; people who prefer to read in large font would do better to tweak the font settings.

And it still isn't about Literotica "forcing" 80 characters. Lit doesn't force any particular character count; it just sets a width, and the line wraps at however many characters squeeze into that width. It's still your browser settings (specifically font and font size) that determine how many characters that will be.

Ah, right. Magnifying the whole view, rather than adjusting the font - yeah, you can do that if you want a quick-and-dirty way to blow up the screen, and if you do it far enough you will indeed need to scroll left-right. But that's exactly why it's not a great option for customisation; people who prefer to read in large font would do better to tweak the font settings.

And it still isn't about Literotica "forcing" 80 characters. Lit doesn't force any particular character count; it just sets a width, and the line wraps at however many characters squeeze into that width. It's still your browser settings (specifically font and font size) that determine how many characters that will be.

Fine have it your way, your absolutely right.

One thing I'm totally stuck on is what html to use to left and right align text.

I can bold, italic, center and underline no problem, but whatever I use to right or left align text just does't seem to work.

Help! :eek:

One thing I'm totally stuck on is what html to use to left and right align text.

I can bold, italic, center and underline no problem, but whatever I use to right or left align text just does't seem to work.

Help! :eek:

You'd need to use a <div> tag with a CSS style argument.

<div style="text-align:left;">left aligned text</div>
<div style="text-align:right;">right aligned text</div>

That's how you would you do it. Whether or not it would be allowed is another question.

We allow bolds, italics, underlines, blockquotes, and centered text. We do not do indentation, tabs, justified text, font face/color/size changes, formatted indices, boxes, columns, tables, or background color changes.

Laurel's comment earlier in this thread says that centered text is allowed, but does not specify right-aligned text either way. Since left-aligned text is the default, I can't think of a reason why you'd need to specify it, but just because I can't think of reason doesn't mean there isn't one.

Since left-aligned text is the default, I can't think of a reason why you'd need to specify it, but just because I can't think of reason doesn't mean there isn't one.

Thx, I'll try that.

I more often than not start each story with song lyrics and then the name of the song and the singer. I center the lyrics, I've been trying to right align the song name and singer, to distinguish it from the left aligned story text, but so far no dice. I;ll try that and see if it works with the next one.

Thx, I'll try that.

I more often than not start each story with song lyrics and then the name of the song and the singer. I center the lyrics, I've been trying to right align the song name and singer, to distinguish it from the left aligned story text, but so far no dice. I;ll try that and see if it works with the next one.

Actually the Lit CSS tells the text to be left aligned.

And Laurel will remove the extraneous HTML or just outright reject the story.

Think of the Lit. story file as a coordinated anthology (Literotica does). Formatting doesn't willy-nilly change from story to story in an anthology. That would be extremely distracting to the reader. Thus, like with any anthology, Lit. has some basic rules of formatting that go across the story file. And what is permitted is pretty basic, but what is important in an anthology is to be as unobtrusive as possible for the reader to enable the reader to focus on content, not showing that the author has found all sorts of nifty book designing tools.

Think of the Lit. story file as a coordinated anthology (Literotica does). Formatting doesn't willy-nilly change from story to story in an anthology. That would be extremely distracting to the reader. Thus, like with any anthology, Lit. has some basic rules of formatting that go across the story file. And what is permitted is pretty basic, but what is important in an anthology is to be as unobtrusive as possible for the reader to enable the reader to focus on content, not showing that the author has found all sorts of nifty book designing tools.

Yes, I don't try anything fancy. Just centre and bold the title and those break marker *** things and centre and italicize song lyrics right at the start. It's just that right align for the song name and singer - I actually have a story where it worked but I did it on the fly and I can't remember how. That's it. Nothing fancy.

Yes, I don't try anything fancy. Just centre and bold the title and those break marker *** things and centre and italicize song lyrics right at the start. It's just that right align for the song name and singer - I actually have a story where it worked but I did it on the fly and I can't remember how. That's it. Nothing fancy.

Do you paste text into the submission box or do you send a .doc file?

Because you can right align text in a word doc and I would bet the converter will pick it up and store it so the PHP will know what to send to the browser.

Do you paste text into the submission box or do you send a .doc file?

Because you can right align text in a word doc and I would bet the converter will pick it up and store it so the PHP will know what to send to the browser.

I always paste the text into the submission box.

I was going to do a how-to for MS Word users, showing how you can do your bold and italics as normal in Word (i.e. using Ctrl-i and Ctrl-b or using the toolbar), so you don't have to think about Lit's markup, and then do a special find and replace in Word at the end, to make sure all your bold and italics get marked up properly:

You need to get to the "Advanced Find and Replace" dialog.

The below description and attached screenshot are for the Mac version:

Expand the dialog to show the "even more advanced" stuff, by clicking the downward pointing chevron at the bottom left of the dialog box.

Click the "Format" dropdown, and select "Font...". This brings up a second dialog. Change the "Font Style" there from"Regular" to "Italic", and OK that dialog.

Then, back on the first dialog, go to the "Replace" tab (click on "Replace" at the top of the dialog) and type <i>^&</i> in the "Replace with" section. Now all your italics are marked up.

The process for bold is similar, except you choose "Bold" for the font style, and <b>^&</b> for the "Replace With".

Now you can select all text (Ctrl-A or Cmd-A), and just paste it into lit's submission box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 18.53.09.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 18.53.09.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Ah, a four-year-old thread revived to discuss issues raised in probably a few hundred similar threads since then. Whatever.

Well, I get to repeat a point: many many (maybe half) of LIT readers access stories via the Android app, which allows pre-loading 11 pieces -- but does not support HTML. That fancy formatting goes to waste. Consider: much world literature manages without HTML tags. Can I out-dazzle Homer's layouts?

Storytelling needn't depend on WYSISYG word processors. Sure, throwing in illustrations is fun. See how few readers illustrated stories have on LIT, hey?

Italics for foreign phrases are de rigeur.

Tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes, as the Poet said.

Centred text used to be the <center> tag, however this was deprecated from HTML 4.01 (published 1999), and has been completely removed from HTML 5. It has to be done using CSS now, making that one a little more complicated than the others.

Most browsers still recognize all sorts of depreciated HTML stuff that the W3C says we're not allowed to use anymore. (W3C can go fuck themselves.)

But it's a moot point at Literotica and most similar sites because only a handful of formatting is made accessible. I can pretty much name two places where I've been able to make full use of fancy formatting the handful of times I've felt my story benefited from it, for everywhere else I had to concoct a plaintext alternative.

(LOL replying to very old post oh well.)

Fancy formatting...

So how many print books would you be able to use fancy formatting?

Would that be none? Doesn't the publisher decide?

Most print books I have read were Times Roman 10 pt. with just chapter headings bold. Maybe Italics for thoughts.

Well, I get to repeat a point: many many (maybe half) of LIT readers access stories via the Android app, which allows pre-loading 11 pieces -- but does not support HTML. That fancy formatting goes to waste.

And once again, I'm going to repeat that you have nothing to back up this claim that "half" or "maybe half" or even a significant number of people are using the app.

Meanwhile, there's a strong reason to expect low adoption. Most devices warn you against downloading it, because it's not an officially approved app by Apple or Google. The default settings of most devices prevent you from installing the app if you ignore the warnings that it could "harm your device".

That is not a recipe for "half" of the readership to be using the app.

So - again - I'm going to tell you that if you want to advocate for plain text, that's fine. Creating this unsubstantiated narrative in order to support your position is not going go to unchallenged.

Literotica adds an extra empty line after each 'Hard Return'. Is it possible to prevent this, for example when you want to add poetry or song-texts to your story?

Try putting <br/> Break tags in between the lines with no hard returns. Something like this:

Row, row, row your boat,<br/>Gently down the stream.<br/>Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,<br/>Life is but a dream.​

Laurel's statement on HTML tags (below) does not specifically allow or disallow them, so I don't know if you'll be allowed to use them or not, but that would be the proper way to do it if it is allowed. I would use the "Note to Admin" field in your submission to explain that you are using <br/> tags and why they are important.

We allow bolds, italics, underlines, blockquotes, and centered text. We do not do indentation, tabs, justified text, font face/color/size changes, formatted indices, boxes, columns, tables, or background color changes.

If you want single spacing, doing so in the document isn't enough. You also need to call out the request in the "notes" section of the submission form.

It's been a mixed bag for me whether the single spacing has been implemented, though I expect it will be a higher success rate for poetry because it will be easier to find than a short section within a long story.

Try putting <br/> Break tags in between the lines with no hard returns. Something like this:

Row, row, row your boat,<br/>Gently down the stream.<br/>Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,<br/>Life is but a dream.​

There are a couple of wrinkles in HTML that might be useful once in a while.

If you are reproducing something like a letter, newspaper article, or such, you can use the <kbd> or <code> tags and you will get something that looks like it was output by a typewriter (or an old dot-matrix printer?). The <tt> code will also do the same thing, although it is being supported by HTML5. I've only done this once so far, but there were a couple of earlier instances where I could have used it. (In those cases it would have represented hand-written notes.)

The <mark> tag will add a yellow background to text, but I'm not sure why that would be needed,

All very interesting, not to say entertaining.
But without actually trying to put a story up with such things,
how does one practice getting it right ?

If you are really interested in trying HTML, create a dummy file and leave it in your drafts folder. That way you can experiment all you want.

Does Literotica accept the degrees symbol? I'm thinking about using them for something instead of asteriks.

° ° ° ° ° °

Back