What Are You Listening To Now? 6.0

Soilwork - Verkligheten (album)

More Soilwork! Fat guitars, insane drums and a heavenly singer. Björn Strid is my boy crush :)
 
I just put down the taropatch 'uke after playing most of a gavotte from a JS Bach cello suite. It still resonates.
 
Visigoth - Necropolis (Manilla Road cover)

https://youtu.be/04JKCyAFv9k

The original already is amazing but suffers from a rather weak mix. This version fixes that and adds a bit extra oomph. And as always with Visigoth, the vocals are so, so good. Melodic, but with balls. YEAH!
 
Marisa Nadler - For My Crimes

Described as "gothic folk" - very dark and mournful, but a beautiful voice which she multi-tracks to sing harmonies with herself.
 
For anyone that liked The Hu Band and "Wolf Totem", someone did a 10 hour version on Youtube. I've been listening to it while I write "One Night in Xanadu" and I love people who make these extended versions. Sure saves me hitting replay every few minutes. :heart:

HuWolfTotem2.jpg


Interesting writeup on them...

...sound loaded with traditional Mongolian instruments such as the morin khuur (horsehead fiddle, played upright kinda like a standup bass but much smaller and with two strings), and a tovshuur (kinda like a Mongolian guitar) playing alongside your typical bass and drums of Western heavy metal. The band also incorporates traditional throat singing into their songs, which is a type of singing where a single person produces two sounds at once, which in this case is the lead singer making a low almost groaning sound with higher tones floating around on top. The throat singing is used effectively here and makes for an interesting and unique heavy metal sounds. With their music, they’re not just a bunch of Mongolian dudes playing American heavy metal, but they are Mongolian musicians playing specifically Mongolian heavy metal music. It is their intention to infuse as much of their Mongolian culture into a new rock style as they can, and from the looks of their first two tracks, they absolutely did just that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top