What Are You Listening To Now? 6.0

Man, that Rosie Bones!! And the other guitarist, keeping the Beckster on the top of his game! Magic.

Loud Hailer is a great album. Rosie Bones has the vocal chops and just the right edge. The guitarist, Carmen Vandenberg, complements Beck.

Dual Triode?

Mangalam - Prem Joshua
Gee the only dual triodes I recall are the 12AX7 and 12AU7 and if memory serves me correctly a blue glow meant a gassy or something I can't recall now. However, the 866A mercury vapor rectifiers in a high voltage supply would create a warm blue glow for sure!! Just keep your hands off the anode 1600 volts dc and I have felt that hit!! Music: Rumors: Fleetwood Mac Album

Gee the only dual triodes I recall are the 12AX7 and 12AU7 and if memory serves me correctly a blue glow meant a gassy or something I can't recall now. However, the 866A mercury vapor rectifiers in a high voltage supply would create a warm blue glow for sure!! Just keep your hands off the anode 1600 volts dc and I have felt that hit!! Music: Rumors: Fleetwood Mac Album

There's a few us here who know what we're on about. My hi-fi rig is all tube, Lowther open baffle and vinyl. I do have quality CD, but it's a good step behind the vinyl playback.

I've got half a dozen 866As from Navy stores years ago, I'll sell them into Japan or Korea, one day. The world market is still healthy for NOS tubes/valves.

What have you got against the 12AT7, then ? [:):)]
or ECC34?
I really must see if my old valve amp can be made to perform. . . .

Poco: High & Dry

or ECC34?

12AT7s sound brittle and harsh. The older octals (6SL7, 6SN7 and the Brit ECC series) are sweet as honey, smooth as silk. All the best classic studio gear used octals, pretty much.

12AT7s sound brittle and harsh. The older octals (6SL7, 6SN7 and the Brit ECC series) are sweet as honey, smooth as silk. All the best classic studio gear used octals, pretty much.

Best. Sound. Ever.

3cfbe824-4147-4ccc-9855-9e22956a7714._SL300__.jpg

or ECC34?

Poco: High & Dry

[valvegeek]
I have used 12AT7s when higher drive is needed: reverb pan driver, phase inverter, cathode follower, etc. This is for guitar amplifiers, not Hi-Fi stereo. The 6SN7 is a favorite as a low power, push-pull power stage. It sparkles as a triode should, but will overdrive smoothly. Makes for a great practice or recording amplifier.

For the signal path I have also used the 12AY7 with success. It has a bit lower gain and sounds a little better than the 12AX7.
[/valvegeek]

Best. Sound. Ever.

3cfbe824-4147-4ccc-9855-9e22956a7714._SL300__.jpg

Perfect! :D

Listening to: Jump In The Line - Harry Belafonte
Calypso! :nana: :nana: :nana:

Last edited:
Back