How to submit a chapter 2 story?

black_maestra

Experienced
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Posts
34
I have submitted a stand-alone story, but due to requests from readers, I wrote chapter 2. Yet when I tried to submit it under the same title, it stated that I already had that title posted. I assumed (yean I know about ass-u-me/ing) it would automatically list it as chapter 2. Not. So if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.
 
The Author's Hangout forum would be better to ask.
 
Add Ch. 02 to the title. You have to manually enter the chapter numbers.

Note that this is the standard format, abbreviating "chapter" to "ch."

You'll also want to use the 02 format in case you go beyond 9 chapters. That will keep them all in the correct sequence on your submissions page.

If by some wild chance you think the story will be over 99 chapters, you'll want to go with 002, and you'll probably want to mention that in the "notes" section of the submission so Laurel doesn't remove the extra zero.
 
I have submitted a stand-alone story, but due to requests from readers, I wrote chapter 2. Yet when I tried to submit it under the same title, it stated that I already had that title posted. I assumed (yean I know about ass-u-me/ing) it would automatically list it as chapter 2. Not. So if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

use the same title and add chapter 2 in the end ...
 
I have submitted a stand-alone story, but due to requests from readers, I wrote chapter 2. Yet when I tried to submit it under the same title, it stated that I already had that title posted. I assumed (yean I know about ass-u-me/ing) it would automatically list it as chapter 2. Not. So if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

The other posters are correct but I would like to add something which I personally like to see. You can give the story the same title then put a : and put a subtitle.

This is popular with movies but I think it works well with stories as well, an example would be the Starwars series: Starwars: the empire strikes back, etc.
 
Are various ways to handle multiple or series stories. Four examples from my production:

* I adapted a set of journal entries as a story series. I wrote the main series in seven parts. Later, I found more material that should have been included in the main timeline. I also wrote an introductory chapter. So the original sequence was labeled RON'S JOURNAL 01, 02, 03... 07. The introduction became 00. The inserted chapters became 03A, 03B, 04A, 04B, etc. I'll also soon add 07A and 07B. Some further material will become 08, 09, 10, etc. Are you confused yet? So am I.

* I wrote a three-part series with the chapters simply being BRIDE OF KONG 01, 02, 03. But I was very dissatisfied with my ending, so I wrote another chapter containing only alternative endings. I wanted that to be 03A, and I submitted it as such. Surprise! My actual 03 vanished and was replaced by 03A numbered as 03. To fix that, I re-submitted my original 03 as 03-EDITED and re-submitted 03A as 04. That series is now correct.

* I wrote JENNY BE FAIR as a standalone story. Response was good. I'm working on some sequels now, which will be JENNY BE FAIR 02, 03, 04, etc. The original was unnumbered, but that's good enough. Some planned stories aren't actually sequential, but I 'll number them anyway. Or maybe I'll use subtitles for the non-sequential parts.

* I am writing a cycle of standalone stories that feature characters with names in common, but these are NOT a series and won't be titled or numbered as such. They are the RANDY stories, but not all have Randy's name in the title.

As mentioned above, the easy way to title a sequel is just to call is 02 or ch.02 or something like that, which shows the sequence. If the cycle of stories are NOT sequential, then subtitles or the like should work. Like, GODZILLA: MEGALADON'S BITCH and GODZILLA DOES GUMBY.
 
Back
Top