Valentine's Villanelle Challenge

Piscator

Literotica Guru
Valentine's Day is just a few weeks off and still no challenge!

So I'm taking the heart by its arrow and proposing an challenge to all the free versers hear to submit to the restraints of poetic form and craft a Valentine poem using whichever structured form tickles your fancy. I'm partial to a Valentine villanelle in part because I'm fond of alliteration but also because, I've been gobsmacked by Elisabeth Bishop's One Art https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/one-art

Please pm your opus to me and I'll post as they come in on a separate thread. As usual, I'll not attribute authorship until later. The challenge will run until Feb 12 but I'm flexible and I too am bad with deadlines.

So I'm taking the heart by its arrow and proposing an challenge to all the free versers hear to submit to the restraints of poetic form and craft a Valentine poem using whichever structured form tickles your fancy. I'm partial to a Valentine villanelle in part because I'm fond of alliteration but also because, I've been gobsmacked by Elisabeth Bishop's One Art https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/one-art

Please pm your opus to me and I'll post as they come in on a separate thread. As usual, I'll not attribute authorship until later. The challenge will run until Feb 12 but I'm flexible and I too am bad with deadlines.

cant wait to see what this challenge will bring ...hehe a lovey dovey poem??? I will have to brood on this one a while :p

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" by Thomas gets more attention, but as far as I'm concerned, "One Art" is the touchstone for villanelles.

*deletes a bunca stuff* I've been in the thread of forms brushing up and have discovered some variation in the examples, I'm in

So it's any form?

So it's any form?
Good catch, Annie. I saw the thread title and assumed it should be a villanelle. But Piscator explicitly says: "So I'm taking the heart by its arrow and proposing a challenge to all the free versers here to submit to the restraints of poetic form and craft a Valentine poem using whichever structured form tickles your fancy."

So, rondeau, maybe. Or villanelle, for me.

Or 5-7-5 haiku:
Her body leavens
my dough, and I rise. Tonight's
all free pizza, girl!​
OK. Perhaps not haiku. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good catch, Annie. I saw the thread title and assumed it should be a villanelle. But Piscator explicitly says: "So I'm taking the heart by its arrow and proposing a challenge to all the free versers here to submit to the restraints of poetic form and craft a Valentine poem using whichever structured form tickles your fancy."

Or 5-7-5 haiku:
Her body leavens
all free pizza, girl!​

Ha ha very good! But isn't a Terzanelle easier?

Originally Posted by UnderYourSpell View Post
So it's any form?

Or 5-7-5 haiku:
Her body leavens
all free pizza, girl!​

Yes, although the thread's title is villanelle, in part because of the alliteration, any structured form is acceptable, including haiku/senyru. Limericks although acceptable, may be met with derision, and are generally nor recommended for slipping under your significant others pillow on V Day.

Foooorms?! Fuuuuuu...g!

Puts on big girl panties, whines about wearing panties, and grabs a pencil...

Oh write a Limerick
There was a young man from Caerphilly
Who had an enormous willy.
On Valentine's Day
He was then heard to say
I'll stick it in Sara plus Lily.

There once was a lady from England
whose mate thought HE ran the kingdom
imagine his surprise
and the shock in his eye
when for Valentine's she crowned him
:eek:

Having always just winged it, I'm an ignorant savage when it comes to writing traditional forms. I may have to sit this one out :(

Having always just winged it, I'm an ignorant savage when it comes to writing traditional forms. I may have to sit this one out :(

Forms are way hella hard compared to free style :p I to suck at them heh

I do want to say these poems being written for this challenge are absolutely stunning :p want to comment on each but at work so I'll follow up later

Back