Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really doesn't.

Unless of course you mean the world needs more of some pansy-ass tv-director-boy wandering the country and giving the cliffnotes version of a multitude of incredibly rich regional cuisines.

And making fun of many low-income food workers along the way.

For shame.

In defense of Alton I must curse your refrigerator with a plague of gnomes.
 
True-Blue Potato Salad
PREP TIME 40 min

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
3/4 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
6 slices of bacon

DIRECTIONS
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle or refrigerate overnight. Peel and cube potatoes.
2. Cook bacon until very crisp. Drain and chop well.
3. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, onions and celery. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, vinegar, bacon, blue cheese, salt, pepper and celery seed. Pour over potato mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Anything with bacon AND blue cheese has got to be delicious!
 
there's nothing like farm fresh milk, NOT homogenized. so the cream rises to the top. swipe the rim of the bottle with your finger and and lick it off, then watch a glob drop into your coffee. breakfast of champions.

after years of this, regular store-bought milk tastes like liquid plastic to me.

When I was growing up in the lovely town of Skagway, my parents bartered for farm-fresh milk and loaves of homemadebread. We'd get both delivered on the same day. It was heavenly. :)
 
When I was growing up in the lovely town of Skagway, my parents bartered for farm-fresh milk and loaves of homemadebread. We'd get both delivered on the same day. It was heavenly. :)

one of those things you don't realize until you try. fresh eggs, too. my mother used to work for an egg and dairy company and eggs were bought when they were cheap and then stockpiles, often as long as 6 months. supermarkets suck.
 
one of those things you don't realize until you try. fresh eggs, too. my mother used to work for an egg and dairy company and eggs were bought when they were cheap and then stockpiles, often as long as 6 months. supermarkets suck.

Nothing tastes better than Wheat Chex fresh out of the oven!
 
I want one of these for my Kitchen Aid mixer!! It's about time someone came up with an idea like this!
Side Swipe Spatula Mixer Blade
41s05uoNIHL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.sideswipeblade.com/
This paddle attachment to a stand mixer is made with silicone fins lining the outer blade. The fins enable the SideSwipe to reach all parts of the mixing bowl, including the bottom, and the design of it pushes ingredients down. Thus the SideSwipe is able to incorporate all ingredients fully and you no longer have to stop and scrape.

The only downside is that it may not fit your stand mixer, as this is a pretty new product. The SideSwipe attachment currently fits the tilting Kitchen Aid, but not the lift model. However, they plan on expanding their line in the current months. The website also goes into much more detail and even offers a video demonstration of the SideSwipe in action.

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/01/05/sideswipe-dont-stop-and-scrape/

OK, I finally used this.
LOVE IT! It gets everything away from the bowl, no stopping to scrape!!

LOVE. IT.
 
It really doesn't.

Unless of course you mean the world needs more of some pansy-ass tv-director-boy wandering the country and giving the cliffnotes version of a multitude of incredibly rich regional cuisines.

And making fun of many low-income food workers along the way.

Oh, yes. Alton is a mean-spirited, spiteful, arrogant bastard. Venom runs through the mans veins.

*blinks*

These Wheat Chex were mighty tastely this morning.

Yum. My prime cereal time is in the evening, though. More often than not, I'll have it for dessert. But it's good any time of the day.

one of those things you don't realize until you try. fresh eggs, too. my mother used to work for an egg and dairy company and eggs were bought when they were cheap and then stockpiles, often as long as 6 months. supermarkets suck.

One of my favorite things about visiting my mom's ranch: farm fresh eggs. Deliciousness.
 
Anything with bacon AND blue cheese has got to be delicious!

I generally don't like potato salad but this is DELISH! The vinegar and blue cheese and bacon and green onions work together in perect harmony. A great summer picnic dish.
 
Busy, busy day...

First, I'm almost done making this Balsamic Beef Stew and then Tatiana's Blondies again since they were such a big hit last weekend.

The best part is that I'm taking all this to my mom and dad's house so they can have an easy weekend.


Balsamic Beef Stew

Ingredients:
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to
taste
2 lb. boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
3 Tbs. canola oil
1 large red onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 cup full-bodied red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 lb. red or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2- inch chunks
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
Directions:


Brown the meat
In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add the beef, seal the bag and shake to coat the beef with the seasoned flour.

In a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Working in batches if needed to avoid crowding, remove the beef from the bag, shake off the excess flour and add the meat to the pot in a single layer. Cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a plate.

Add the onion to the drippings in the pan and sauté over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves, wine and broth.

Braise the meat and vegetables
Return the meat and any juices from the plate to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and braise until the meat is nearly fork-tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add the potatoes and carrots, re-cover and continue to braise until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more.

Finish the dish
Season the stew with salt and pepper. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Stir in the vinegar, divide among individual shallow bowls and serve immediately. Serves 6.
 
Last edited:
Ballina, I can't wait to try that stew! I've always made a very basic version with beef, carrots, and potatoes, but I love the idea of purple onion, wine, and balsamic.



Book update - 75 recipes!
 
I shopped at Williams-Sonoma last night and thought of all the Foodies.

I feel a little foolish paying 600 bucks for a toaster, but it really does make nice toast.
 
Ballina, I can't wait to try that stew! I've always made a very basic version with beef, carrots, and potatoes, but I love the idea of purple onion, wine, and balsamic.



Book update - 75 recipes!


That beef stew does look mouthwatering.

The stew is coming along nicely, my kitchen smells heavenly. The wine and balsamic both give it some extra depth.
 
Last edited:
I shopped at Williams-Sonoma last night and thought of all the Foodies.

I feel a little foolish paying 600 bucks for a toaster, but it really does make nice toast.

And the copper finish looks jaunty in your kitchen.
 
Okay, this week is "fun with an 8 pound pork shoulder"

I carved off bits and made Lo Mein, then I made this.

Then I made a batch of riced potatoes with cream and butter. Shredded pork from this on top of that is sooo good.

Slow Cooker Carnitas
INGREDIENTS
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 cups chicken broth
DIRECTIONS
1. Mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat pork with the spice mixture. Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top. Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
2. Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours. Turn the meat after it has cooked for 5 hours. When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks. Use cooking liquid as needed to moisten the meat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top