Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks great, but I'd use 4 times as much butter.


my favorite vegetable as a child was white rice with 4 times as much butter.

now they tell me that wasn't really a vegetable.

i'd go to town with the butter.
 
My personal Holy Grail of Impossible Simplicity is ho'made Falafel.

I've gotten to the point where the balls don't fall apart, and they taste good..but they are raw in the middle. If I could cook them all the way through I'd almost have it.
 
I'm discovering the zenlike depths of simplicity, having tried my hand at the complicated and hifalutin recipes of French chefs and such, and failed

I always feel like a humble beginner in this thread. When asked to share a technique, I feel like Jack Abbott writing to Norman Mailer in Belly of The Beast....


...It is as if I were sitting in an audience listening to fine gentlemen and scholars deliver speeches and discourses on things of reverence to me. Then one of them suddenly looks across the numberless audience directly at me and says: "It's your turn, Jack. Come up here and say something."....


My technique is this: I smash and grind the garlic into paste with a half-thimbleful of kosher salt and this implement:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/rosco_rathbone/problemsolverandwizzie.jpg

Then I add the oil and garlic to my cast iron skillet with the heat off, and then cook at a very low flame for about 7-9 ,minutes, stirring constantly with clsoe attention, tasting frequently. There's a sweet spot you have to catch, but you won't miss it if you focus. One one side, it tastes raw, on the other side, bitter.

Any and all food discussion is embraced here. And I have a soft spot in my heart for technique discussion of all stripes. Every technique can impart a subtly different flavor to the finished dish.

Slow and low is my favorite way to tackle garlic, too. One of my favorite garlic "roasting" techniques, one which I've undoubtedly expounded upon here, goes thusly:

Roast Garlic Confit (& Roast Garlic Oil)


  • Several heads of garlic.
  • Lots of extra virgin olive oil
  • Smattering of peppercorns.
Preheat oven to 300. Clean and decapitate, but do not peel, entire heads (not cloves, heads) of garlic, then place face down in a baking dish (preferably one with a lid, but foil will do). Pack them in tight, then douse liberally with extra virgin olive oil, until just covered. Toss in a few peppercorns, then cover and pop it in the oven. Check it after an hour, but it'll probably take longer. You're looking for soft, golden brown garlic cloves, which can be liberated from the heads by squeezing, toothpaste-fashion. Enjoy as you would any other roasted garlic. My favorite is to spread their oozey goodness on good, crusty, toasted bread.

Okay, here's the cool part. Not only does the oil make an ideal cooking medium, it's also a spectacular byproduct. Strain it, bottle it, and keep it in a cool, dark place. You'll find yourself drizzling it on virtually everything, from veggies to salads to meats to... well, virtually everything.
 
My personal Holy Grail of Impossible Simplicity is ho'made Falafel.

I've gotten to the point where the balls don't fall apart, and they taste good..but they are raw in the middle. If I could cook them all the way through I'd almost have it.

I would try lowering the oil temp. See if that helps.
 
I've done that, but in a hotter oven, with the cloves wrapped in foil, and cut-off side up, not down.

Hmmmm
 
I've done that, but in a hotter oven, with the cloves wrapped in foil, and cut-off side up, not down.

Hmmmm

Yeah, that's the commonly accepted method. It works well, and is certainly quicker. Mine is not a roasting method at all, really, more of a slow poach in oil (hence the confit). I like both methods for producing the garlic itself, but the oil is what makes the confit a winner for me. Elixiriffic.
 
Quite serious culinary question, has anyone here ever cooked or been served duck breast with any variation of a chocolate style sauce ?
 
I have had coffee smoked duck. Is that close?

No but it's still very interesting, there's a lead into it of sorts.

I bet that was amazing.

I have had venison with chocolate sauce, just wondering if duck is gamey 'enough' and how much it would have to be tamed down ( the sauce ) to make it palatable. Hoi sin is great with duck and that's incredibly sweet though has the added spice factor. Maybe a citrus chocolate variation ?
 
You're most welcome! I'm having fun putting it together.


You know, it's never too late to add a few more...;) Feel free to submit a favorite!

One of my favs that I make.

Chicken Marsala

4 Chicken breasts - pounded thin
6 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped sage
1 3/4 cup of marsala wine
2 cups of chicken broth
1 tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon
1/2 cup to 3/4 cups of heavy cream
flour to dredge chicken and thicken sauce

Dredge chicken in flour
Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in LARGE skillet (medium high heat)
Add 2 tablespoons of chopped sage and mushrooms till soft (approx 5 mins)
Remove mushrooms and sage butter mixture and set aside.
Add chicken and cook 3 mins per side

Add 2 cups of marsala, 2 cups of broth, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, heavy cream and mushroom mixture over chicken in skillet.

Bring to a rolling boil, add teaspoon of flour mixed in a little water to thicken. Add flour to desired thickness.

Simmer for an hour.

Serve over rice. I usually have a side dish of fresh green beans sauteed in garlic, olive oil and diced roma tomatoes.
 
No but it's still very interesting, there's a lead into it of sorts.

I bet that was amazing.

I have had venison with chocolate sauce, just wondering if duck is gamey 'enough' and how much it would have to be tamed down ( the sauce ) to make it palatable. Hoi sin is great with duck and that's incredibly sweet though has the added spice factor. Maybe a citrus chocolate variation ?

If I remember correctly there was a plum sauce served with the duck. The coffee/smoke flavors covered up the game taste very nicely.

I cannot help you fine tune your sauce, sorry. I am more skilled in eating than fixing.
 
smaller balls maybe?

Well, I do them the same size as you get commercially. I guess I could try smaller. I was thinking hotter oil, less cooking time, cooler oil, more time, I dunno. The way I do it, the outside gets overcooked and the inside is still raw.
 
If I remember correctly there was a plum sauce served with the duck. The coffee/smoke flavors covered up the game taste very nicely.

I cannot help you fine tune your sauce, sorry. I am more skilled in eating than fixing.

'covered up' : laughs : I like gamey !

Noting your skills if I solve this I'll mail you some. Complex flavor layering on gamey I suspect, when transported from here.
 
Quite serious culinary question, has anyone here ever cooked or been served duck breast with any variation of a chocolate style sauce ?
I've had duck with various Asian style sauces, but not with chocolate, such as a mole.

Not sure if you're looking for a recipe, but I did find one for duck breasts in an Asian mole sauce.


Duck Breast in Asian Mole Sauce (and Jicama-Haricots salad)


* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced shallot
* 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 pound haricots verts
* 1/2 pound piece jicama
* 2 duck breasts, about 1 pound each
* 1/2 cup Asian Mole Sauce, warmed
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Canola oil for cooking

Combine first six ingredients to make vinaigrette. Peel and cut jicama into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Stack slices on a cutting board and cut into sticks. Heat water to boiling and blanch beans until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, toss beans and jicama with 1/4 cup of lemon vinaigrette (you can set this aside to marinate for about 30 minutes or use right away). Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Lay the duck breasts on a cutting board and season both sides with salt and pepper. Using a paring knife, make diagonal slashes through the skin about half an inch apart, taking care not to cut into the flesh. Put the duck breasts into the hot pan, skin-side down, and cook until the fat is rendered and the skin is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Use a splatter screen if you have one because the breasts render a lot of fat. About halfway through the cooking, use a ladle or baster to remove most of the fat from the pan. Turn the breasts and cook to barely medium-rare, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the breasts to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Season each breast with a pinch of salt and pepper, cut breasts into thin slices, and fan them out on four serving plates. Top with warm Asian Mole sauce, and arrange Jicama-Haricots Salad alongside.

Asian Mole


* 2 large onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup garlic, chopped
* 1/4 cup ginger, chopped
* 4 serrano chiles, chopped
* 1 cup red wine
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon minced thyme
* 3 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
* 1/4 pound dark unsweetened chocolate, chopped
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Canola oil for cooking


In a large sauté pan coated lightly with oil over medium-high heat, sauté shallots, garlic, ginger and chiles until caramelized. Deglaze with red wine, scarping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add cranberries and water and reduce by half. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. With blender running, add thyme, sesame seeds and gradually add chocolate. Check again for flavor and season if necessary.

To make Asian Mole Sauce, use a 1:1 ratio of mole to chicken stock.
 
Well, I do them the same size as you get commercially. I guess I could try smaller. I was thinking hotter oil, less cooking time, cooler oil, more time, I dunno. The way I do it, the outside gets overcooked and the inside is still raw.

What kind of oil are you using? I noticed that if I use olive oil for some things, it burns quickly.

For potato pancakes, I switched to vegetable oil and they came out perfect not burned on the outside and cooked through.
 
I decided that I needed to do something with all the apples that have stockpiled in my fridge. I was considering some sort of fruit crisp, then remembered Tatiana's Jewish Apple Cake recipe.

http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=20336443&postcount=1656

I decided to make it in a Bundt 4-loaf pan rather than a tube (I wanted to freeze some) and it turned out wonderfully moist and scrumptious. The decorative design didn't show up as well (lumpy apples), but they're the perfect size for my son and I.

52737.jpg


Great recipe, Tati!

Yay! I'm glad it turned out well. Let me know how it freezes, I haven't ever done that, but have thought of it often. I'm interested to know if it tastes the same after defrosting..

I love that pan.
 
Yay! I'm glad it turned out well. Let me know how it freezes, I haven't ever done that, but have thought of it often. I'm interested to know if it tastes the same after defrosting..

I love that pan.

I'll keep you posted! I used to be wary of freezing baked goods, but bought one of those vacuum seal systems (like space bags for food) that removes all the air. Seems to keep things much fresher.


Thanks, I have a bit of a Nordicware obsession. I have all the fancy pans, hardly ever use them, and then have no idea where to store them all.

Case in point...

I just had to buy this octopus pan for my son's last birthday.

60451.jpg


Adorable cake, but really...when am I going to use it again?!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top