Your pal and good buddy
(s) Edward M. Kennedy​

Dear Hillary,
Fuck you.​
Sincerely,
Your pal and good buddy,
(s) Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg​

[/B]

Sort of a gamble. I don't think it helps Obama in the least with the electorate (Caroline's endorsement helps in this regard a lot more than Ted's), but it certainly is a big power move within the party power structure that Hillary can't welcome.

Sort of a gamble. I don't think it helps Obama in the least with the electorate (Caroline's endorsement helps in this regard a lot more than Ted's), but it certainly is a big power move within the party power structure that Hillary can't welcome.

I disagree slightly... I really don't think Ted's endorsement helps much. But I think Caroline's does, especially for the quote-unquote "casual voter" (yeah, maybe there shouldn't be such a thing, but we all know damn well they are a large portion, possibly a majority, of the country)

I disagree slightly... I really don't think Ted's endorsement helps much. But I think Caroline's does, especially for the quote-unquote "casual voter" (yeah, maybe there shouldn't be such a thing, but we all know damn well they are a large portion, possibly a majority, of the country)

I don't disagree with that. If this is different from what I posted, I'll agree with your take on it.

I don't disagree with that. If this is different from what I posted, I'll agree with your take on it.

well, you said neither "helped him in the least", although your words after that seemed to indicate you believed Caroline's endorsement helped him some. Or by "the electorate", do you mean strictly the internal powers that be in the democratic party?

Because I think Caroline's endorsement helps him far more with independents and undecided voters than it does with dedicated democrats.

well, you said neither "helped him in the least", although your words after that seemed to indicate you believed Caroline's endorsement helped him some. Or by "the electorate", do you mean strictly the internal powers that be in the democratic party?

Because I think Caroline's endorsement helps him far more with independents and undecided voters than it does with dedicated democrats.

Yep, your wording was clearer than mine.

But, no, my "electorate" and the internal powers of the party were meant to designate two totally different groups of people. Until now, there's been no question who among the candidates controlled the inner party on the nomination process--it was Hillary (and Bill) Clinton. Ted Kennedy is very powerful within the party, though (and one of many disabilities outside the party), so his endorsement of Obama (which some are saying was pushed over the edge by Bill Clinton's party-splitting anti-Obama statements in the South Carolina primary) is at least a shot across the Clinton ship's bow to not divide the party irrevocably during the nomination process.

Caroline--both sincere and seen as above politics--plays well to the electorate. Not at all to the party apparatus, which knows fully well that JFK was no goodie two shoes himself and that her usefulness to the party is quite limited--and influence within the party pretty much nill.

Yep, your wording was clearer than mine.

But, no, my "electorate" and the internal powers of the party were meant to designate two totally different groups of people. Until now, there's been no question who among the candidates controlled the inner party on the nomination process--it was Hillary (and Bill) Clinton. Ted Kennedy is very powerful within the party, though (and one of many disabilities outside the party), so his endorsement of Obama (which some are saying was pushed over the edge by Bill Clinton's party-splitting anti-Obama statements in the South Carolina primary) is at least a shot across the Clinton ship's bow to not divide the party irrevocably during the nomination process.

Caroline--both sincere and seen as above politics--plays well to the electorate. Not at all to the party apparatus, which knows fully well that JFK was no goodie two shoes himself and that her usefulness to the party is quite limited--and influence within the party pretty much nill.

I agree.

And while I don't want the Demo's to get too vicious with each other, I must admit that I don't mind if Clinton manages to help prepare Obama for the full on onslaught of the Repug mud machine.

I'm not assuming Obama will win the nomination mind you... but he is my first choice.

I agree.

And while I don't want the Demo's to get too vicious with each other, I must admit that I don't mind if Clinton manages to help prepare Obama for the full on onslaught of the Repug mud machine.

I'm not assuming Obama will win the nomination mind you... but he is my first choice.

I still prefer Eleanor Roosevelt.

i don't see bill as that evil. how would YOU campaign against a black man, a media darling, eloquent speaker. IF you think you've done right by the black people, what do you say? They are over 50% of the electorate of SC.

Oh, certainly a majority. Overwhelmingly so.

Question: How many US residents posting on any political thread here can name their state (not US) senator and representative? I assume not a lot of hands went up. Now consider: We tend to be more interested and knowledgable about this stuff that the overwhelming majority of our fellow citizens.

I think this is huge for Obama in the primary, because it gives him establishment credibility. But won't do anything for him in a general because any plus from Caroline (tiny) is canceled out by fatso's negatives (big).

PS. I wonder if we will ever get around to talking about public policy in this election? I wonder if the media will ever examine the public policy records and positions of these candidates? I'm betting not, and that it will be another black eye for the mainstream media.

Last edited:
Oh, certainly a majority. Overwhelmingly so.

Question: How many US residents posting on any political thread here can name their state (not US) senator and representative? I assume not a lot of hands went up. Now consider: We tend to be more interested and knowledgable about this stuff that the overwhelming majority of our fellow citizens.

I think this is huge for Obama in the primary, because it gives him establishment credibility. But won't do anything for him in a general because any plus from Caroline (tiny) is canceled out by fatso's negatives (big).

With all due respect, Roxy, I think the largest portion of Fatso's negatives are with people who wouldn't vote for Obama if the Beelzebub/Idi Amin ticket was the only other choice...

And Chappaquiddick references just make most people under thirty-five go "Huh?" (I will submit that those reading this thread are not likely to fall into that category... oh, and I make no claims as to the validity of that spelling.)

Last edited:
With all due respect, Roxy, I think the largest portion of Fatso's negatives are with people who wouldn't vote for Obama if the Beelzebub/Idi Amin ticket was the only other choice...

And Chappaquiddick references just make most people under thirty-five go "Huh?" (I will submit that those reading this thread are not likely to fall into that category... oh, and I make no claims as to the validity of that spelling.)
He certainly helps the R's raise money from the Beezlebub/Idi Amin people, but he's also not well regarded by independents. You're right about the age thing though.

Michael Barone had a good column related the that which I've posted before here. My fave passage (naturally): "The median-age voter in 2008 was born around 1963, so he or she missed out on the culture wars of the '60s, and on the economic disasters and foreign policy reverses of the 1970s. These voters have experienced low-inflation economic growth something like 95% of their adult lives--something true of no other generation in history. They are weary of the cultural polarization of our politics, relatively unconcerned about the downside risks of big government programs, and largely unaware of America's historic foreign policy successes."

I think the Democratic Party conceded the election today. There is no way Obama can win, and the Democrat Elites sent a message to the Clintons that theyre history.

Mitt Romney is the next President.

I think the Democratic Party conceded the election today. There is no way Obama can win, and the Democrat Elites sent a message to the Clintons that theyre history.

Mitt Romney is the next President.

Blech. I dislike Rudy much less that him, and Rudy has a very impressive record of reducing taxes and spending in a very unlikely place. Yeah yeah, his exploitation of his 9/11 "leadership" and terrorism is nauseating, but there's not a single candidate who's not nauseating about a lot of things, so unfortunately nausea-producing is not a disqualification this season.

I firmly believe that anybody who wants the job of President of The United States should be automatically disqualified as certifiably insane. Anybody who wants a job that requires tolerating 300,000,000 job seekers, whingers, yokels, grifters, lobbyists, Dan Schorr-wannabes, Bob Woodward-wannabes, and 299,999,999 Monday morning quarterbacks is nutty as a fruitcake.

I particularly distrust anybody who's wanted the job since they were twelve (or nine or ten or eight or thirteen)- that fact alone reveals an overriding desire for power. While it is perfectly okay and semi-normal for a juvenile or an adolescent to think they might one day become President, a person who makes it their life's goal at that age is not to be trusted for the simple reason that they haven't the foggiest idea in hell what it's all about; they have merely fixated upon an individual they perceive as autonomous and omnipotent. This country went off the deep end the day it became possible to make a living as a professional politician.

Mencken's suggested solution is elegant, efficient, practicable and has the added benefit of being a billion times less expensive (and, god knows, quieter) than the current circus of buffoonery: choose the first 535 names out of the telephone book as Representatives and Senators. The 536th name would be forced to be your President. Mencken maintained (and I agree) that we'd end up in precisely the same place we are now.

Last edited:

I think the negatives for Ted Kennedy with the general electorate go way beyond Chappaquiddick (not that I have a lot of energy for that--I'm to the left of Ted). An endorsement by John Kerry would, I think, be equally devastating to a candidate with the general electorate--as would an endorsement by Bush of a Republican candidate.

Roxanne

I figure Romney will get it because he's a governor. Jack Kennedy was the last Senator to get elected President.

Trysail

I think a draft will work just about as well.

Roxanne

I figure Romney will get it because he's a governor. Jack Kennedy was the last Senator to get elected President.

Trysail

I think a draft will work just about as well.

Huckleberry is, or was, a governor also, but I think he will be pretty much dead after Super Tuesday. He did well in Iowa, where he was able to stack the deck, and he will continue to get some votes everywhere because of his fellow crackpots, but not enough to be a serous contender.

It looks as if Rudy's roll of the dice has turned up snake-eyes, but that remains to be seen today.

Whom would be drafted, and by whom?

He certainly helps the R's raise money from the Beezlebub/Idi Amin people, but he's also not well regarded by independents. You're right about the age thing though.

Michael Barone had a good column related the that which I've posted before here. My fave passage (naturally): "The median-age voter in 2008 ..., and largely unaware of America's historic foreign policy successes. "

America does not confide in the median voter. They pretty much keep her unaware of anything at all in the sphere of foreign policy. The median voter couldn't tell you what we went to Bosnia about.

America does not confide in the median voter. They pretty much keep her unaware of anything at all in the sphere of foreign policy. The median voter couldn't tell you what we went to Bosnia about.
I'm sure Barone's referring primarily to us winning the cold war. The end of which in 1989-91 was as big a surprise as the turn-around in the economy in the early 1980s. Median voters were definitely aware of that.

Edited to add: Not really disagreeing, just seeking to add a little context.

Last edited:

Wasn't in for oil? ;)

Seriously I do know why we went there, but the fact is that more people know more about Drew Bledsoe than the presidential candidates, which really is sad.

I'm sure Barone's referring primarily to us winning the cold war. The end of which in 1989-91 was as big a surprise as the turn-around in the economy in the early 1980s. Median voters were definitely aware of that.

If they are aware of it they think that the U.S. somehow won the Cold War. When in actuality the Soviet Union lost. Something else altogether.

And since the U.S. never stopped the Cold War, and has beggared itself paying to fight a war that's over, it's going to look to future historians like both sides lost.

BOX

Put everyone's social security number in a hat and pick 536 to earn what an army private makes, and house them in a barracks. And if anyone gives them a nickle, charge them with accepting bribes.

Back