Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
dgreen said:
Tat that one even looks like a foodgasm.
mmmmmhmmmmm, I want some NOW and it's not even cold yet

dirty, dirty mind...I love that

Tatiana0706 said:
mmmmmhmmmmm, I want some NOW and it's not even cold yet

It's never "cold" here. Well.. sometimes it almost gets down to 35.

dgreen said:
It's never "cold" here. Well.. sometimes it almost gets down to 35.
I'm coming to see you when we get those -20s!

Tatiana0706 said:
I'm coming to see you when we get those -20s!

Gross. The weather, not the visit. I'll even be a gentleman and give up my bed.

Tatiana0706 said:
Sweet Potato, Chestnut, and Bacon Soup
sweetpotatosoup2-hb.jpg

1 large head of garlic
3 lbs. sweet potato, peeled and chopped
6 C chicken stock
8 strips bacon
30 fresh sage leaves
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne
250 g cooked chestnut, chopped

Roast the head of garlic in the ordinary fashion. That is, by cutting off the top, pouring in olive oil, wrapping it in aluminum foil, and sticking it in a 375F oven for about 56 minutes, or until lovely, fragrant, and soft.

Boil the sweet potato in the stock for 15-20 minutes, with salt to taste.

In the meantime, slowly cook the bacon - you want to render out as much fat as you can without burning it. Then pour off the fat. Chop the bacon into bits.

Add the sage, garlic (squirted out of its peel), and cayenne to the soup. Puree until fairly smooth. Then, stir in the chestnut and bacon.

Serve hot, garnished with sour cream or creme fraiche and a sprinkle of sage.

That looks very yummy!

Tatiana0706 said:
Sweet Potato, Chestnut, and Bacon Soup
sweetpotatosoup2-hb.jpg

Oh. Dear. Lord!

This one is seriously making my mouth water. Some of my very favorite ingredients. I swear, I can smell it!

Delicious, Tati!

I have no idea how I missed this thread, but I'm sure glad I found it! :)

Potato & Cheese filled Pierogies

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half cream
1/4 cup butter OR margarine - softened
1/2 tsp. salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white - beaten
1 Tbls. water

Beat together first 5 ingredients; fold in flour, adding more if needed to form a soft dough; cover and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place
-Kneed dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes OR run dough through the thickest setting of a pasta maker 5 times.
-Divide dough into 4 pieces; cover with a moist towel.
-Roll out each dough section to 1/8" thick; cut out 3 1/2" circles using a cookie cutter, cup, or can.
-Beat together egg white and water; set aside.
-Place 1 Tbls. of filling in the center of each circle; fold circle in half over filling; brush with egg wash, and seal edges by pressing the tines of a fork; place finished pierogies on waxed paper until all are complete.
-Either freeze pierogies in a single layer, then store frozen pierogies in a sealable plastic zipper bag OR boil filled pierogis in water for 5 minutes, or until they float. To cook frozen pierogies, boil for 10-12 minutes.

Potato & Cheese Filling
4 peeled, cubed potatoes - boiled until tender
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter OR bacon grease
1 tsp. seasoned salt
3 slices bacon - fried, crumbled, optional

untitled-9.jpg

Delicacy said:

Evil woman! *drooling...arteries slamming shut...*

Collette said:
Evil woman! *drooling...arteries slamming shut...*

I know. :eek:

This recipe made me miss my great gramma. She was Czechoslovakian and made these all the time when I was little.

Delicacy said:
I know. :eek:

This recipe made me miss my great gramma. She was Czechoslovakian and made these all the time when I was little.
They look delicious. I grew up in the South so a lot of the recipes that remind me of home are fried or covered in sauce, plus very rich desserts. Definitely comfort food. :)
SBroadB9 said:
Err, would you mind not saying that?
;)
Oops, sorry! *thinking healthy, open artery thoughts for you*

Collette said:
They look delicious. I grew up in the South so a lot of the recipes that remind me of home are fried or covered in sauce, plus very rich desserts. Definitely comfort food. :)

Oops, sorry! *thinking healthy, open artery thoughts for you*

Thanks! But, as a Southerner, I still subscribe to the theory that if it's not fried, it's not edible. I just don't eat that way anymore

GiannaF said:
How have I missed this thread? Food and sex are my two passions.

I am Italian and will definately be sharing some of my recipes..........But today it's enjoying the last days of summer, that means beach. I've made Muffulleta Sandwiches.....

I can't believe I missed this post. It sounds delicious, Gianna. Welcome to the thread!

:) This is a good Autumn dessert. I like using Granny Smith apples and I also add 3/4 c. of either chopped walnuts or pecans.

Golden Molasses Cinnamon Cake

Heat oven to 300. Line the bottom of a springform pan with wax paper and then butter both the pan & the paper.

2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
3 apples, cored, pealed & diced into small pieces
1 tbsp. orange rind
1 1/2 c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

Mix together eggs, sugar, molasses. Beat for 3 minutes.

Stir in apple & orange rind.

Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt.

Stir into liquid ingredients.

Bake 60-65 minutes.

Cool before unmolding.

Serve with fresh whip cream. Yum! :)

Delicacy said:

3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half cream
1/4 cup butter OR margarine - softened
1/2 tsp. salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white - beaten
1 Tbls. water

Beat together first 5 ingredients; fold in flour, adding more if needed to form a soft dough; cover and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place
-Kneed dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes OR run dough through the thickest setting of a pasta maker 5 times.
-Divide dough into 4 pieces; cover with a moist towel.
-Roll out each dough section to 1/8" thick; cut out 3 1/2" circles using a cookie cutter, cup, or can.
-Beat together egg white and water; set aside.
-Place 1 Tbls. of filling in the center of each circle; fold circle in half over filling; brush with egg wash, and seal edges by pressing the tines of a fork; place finished pierogies on waxed paper until all are complete.
-Either freeze pierogies in a single layer, then store frozen pierogies in a sealable plastic zipper bag OR boil filled pierogis in water for 5 minutes, or until they float. To cook frozen pierogies, boil for 10-12 minutes.

Potato & Cheese Filling
4 peeled, cubed potatoes - boiled until tender
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter OR bacon grease
1 tsp. seasoned salt
3 slices bacon - fried, crumbled, optional

untitled-9.jpg
You make potato-cheese pierogi?
You may be the perfect woman, and 11 out of 10.
For the day after boiling them, do you heat them in a pan with a bit of onion and bacon? Serve with sour cream?

Spaghetti with Arugula Pesto and Seared Jumbo Shrimp

ei1b01_spaghetti_pesto_shrimp2_e.jpg

2 cups fresh arugula
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound jumbo shrimp
1 pound spaghetti
Lemon zest, for garnish
10 parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish

Blend the arugula and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup of oil, processing until well blended. Transfer the pesto to a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Prepare the grill (high heat). Using a knife, cut the back of the shrimp. Brush the shrimp with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Grill the shrimp until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a plate.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

Toss the pasta with the pesto in the large bowl to coat, adding the reserved cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to moisten. Top with the grilled shrimp. Garnish with the lemon zest and parsley.

Delicacy said:
:) This is a good Autumn dessert. I like using Granny Smith apples and I also add 3/4 c. of either chopped walnuts or pecans.

Golden Molasses Cinnamon Cake

Yum!

Collette said:

See now, this brings back major memories. I remember the first time you talked about making a pesto with arugula. I wanted you, right then and there. And then I wanted the pesto.

Yeah, I never stood a chance. Utterly defenseless against your charms.

:kiss:

Collette said:

ei1b01_spaghetti_pesto_shrimp2_e.jpg

2 cups fresh arugula
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound jumbo shrimp
1 pound spaghetti
Lemon zest, for garnish
10 parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish

Blend the arugula and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup of oil, processing until well blended. Transfer the pesto to a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Prepare the grill (high heat). Using a knife, cut the back of the shrimp. Brush the shrimp with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Grill the shrimp until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a plate.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

Toss the pasta with the pesto in the large bowl to coat, adding the reserved cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time to moisten. Top with the grilled shrimp. Garnish with the lemon zest and parsley.

This sounds great. You can't go wrong with parmesan cheese & arugula. But I wonder how it is without the shrimp. Those little sea creatures to funky things to my tummy.

Delicacy said:
This sounds great. You can't go wrong with parmesan cheese & arugula. But I wonder how it is without the shrimp. Those little sea creatures to funky things to my tummy.
seared salmon would be an acceptable alternative to the shrimp

Delicacy said:

Scallops would be nice too, unless they are on the Montezuma's revenge list also.

thør said:
seared salmon would be an acceptable alternative to the shrimp

I was thinking of just excluding the seafood all together and adding another 2 c. of parmesan. :D

Delicacy said:
I was thinking of just excluding the seafood all together and adding another 2 c. of parmesan. :D
I think the scallops or salmon would be great alternatives, but yes, more parmesan is always good. A little of the pasta would also make a nice side if you wanted a heavier protein, like steak.

I missed the cake recipe until Tort quoted. (Had pierogies on the brain. ;) ) I love apple cakes and that one sounds delicious!

tortoise said:
See now, this brings back major memories. I remember the first time you talked about making a pesto with arugula. I wanted you, right then and there. And then I wanted the pesto.

Yeah, I never stood a chance. Utterly defenseless against your charms.

:kiss:
The recipe reminded me of you as soon as I saw it.

It's always good to know a man's weakness...*waves fresh arugula at you*

*while naked*

;) :kiss:

Sinice it's fall and apple season I thought I would give this recipe a bump...I think since the temps will be in the 50s this weekend, I do a bit of baking.

Tatiana0706 said:
So tonight was a dark and stormy night (just like Snoopy's novel), awesome thunderstorm and strong winds, It was such a nice treat to get a thunderstorm on the 1st of December, I thought they were long over, so I was inspired to bake.
This recipe was given to me by a very old friend. It's super rich, not too sweet, and VERY moist cake. I LOVE the way the apples are swirled throughout the cake, so you get cinnamony, appley goodness with each bite.

f0002.jpg

f0002.jpg

Preheat oven to 350°, butter and flour a 10” tube pan.

4 - 6 Macintosh apples
5 TBS. Sugar
2 TBS. Cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 TBS. Baking powder
1 cup of vegetable or canola oil
4 eggs
½ cup orange juice
Pinch of salt
2 ½ tsps. Vanilla

Peel and core apples and slice thin, set aside.

Mix the 5 TBS. sugar and the 2 TBS. cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, (I use my kitchen aide), Mix together the rest of the ingredients, add eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is incorporated into the batter before adding the next egg. Remember to scrape down bowl, flour can accumulate on the bottom and not mix in. Do NOT over beat.

Put thin layer of batter on bottom of tube pan (batter will be thick, so use spatula to spread), then a layer of apples, a layer of cinnamon sugar and back to another layer of batter, keep alternating that way, make sure you end up with batter on top of the apples so they don’t burn while baking.

Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours, depending on YOUR oven, I check at 1 hour and it’s usually done, remember that if you are using a dark colored pan that it browns easier, so you can bake it at 325°, if the pan is very dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back