Rabbit recipes

pantalaimonlyra

Literotica Guru
So a friend's brother gave me a rabbit yesterday and I've never eaten one let alone cooked it. Any of you all have experience with it? Favorite recipes or ways to prepare? It's just one and it might be 3lbs give or take some ounces.

Lots of recipes for rabbit out there.

Usually, when I was younger, we'd pull the meat off the carcass and then grind it into burger. It makes a HELLUVA sausage with apples but you can use it in anything that takes regular burger. Especially if you're one of those who uses turkey burger instead of beef burger.

One of my favorite dishes was to roast** it whole then shred the meat off the carcass. Dump it into a huge pot with veggies and chicken broth to make a stew. Add spoonfuls of dumplings on top at the end to both steam into shape and thicken the broth. Sort of reminiscent of chicken a la king. I don't use measurements but...

Shredded Rabbit
2-3 pats butter
4-6 cups broth
1/2 bag mixed veggies
Salt/pepper to taste
(optional) Poultry seasoning to taste (to the taste of chicken soup)

Lightly brown the shredded rabbit in the butter. Add the broth and veggies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a fast simmer. Add heaping spoonfuls of dumplings batter into the broth and cover for 10 minutes.

Dumplings:

Drop Dumplings Recipe

I've never tried it, but I suspect rabbit would go well in tacos. Basically, anywhere you'd use chicken, you can use rabbit.

**You can always stock pot the bunny, then shred it. Use the stock from the pot as the stew broth after reducing.

Last edited:
So a friend's brother gave me a rabbit yesterday and I've never eaten one let alone cooked it. Any of you all have experience with it? Favorite recipes or ways to prepare? It's just one and it might be 3lbs give or take some ounces.

Brown the pieces in bacon grease. Deglaze the pan with sherry wine add a cup of chicken broth, onions, carrots, potatoes, a touch of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Slow cook over medium to low heat until carrots and potatoes are tender.

Years ago there was a show called The Frugal Gourmet
He cut them in pieces with a hot rub and deep fried like chicken wings.
I tried it and they were amazing.
Searching utube for it now

Thanks for the ideas!

I've been reading up about it and some suggest soaking it raw in a vinegar/ water/ herb solution before cooking, which I'm assuming has something to do with cutting gamey flavor. Anyone done that?

Is it wild rabbit or farm raised rabbit?

If it's wild, prepare the meat for fried rabbit nuggets. Get it cut into strips, and start soaking them in milk asap. Let them soak at least 8hours, longer is better to remove a bit of the gamey flavor. Salt and season your flour, double dredge the rabbit strips, and fry 'em up.

Now, if it's farm raised... that shit is delicious, and you can substitute it any chicken recipe. Rabbit tastes like chicken, but it is sweeter. It's really great in chicken'n'dumplings.

Thanks for the ideas!

I've been reading up about it and some suggest soaking it raw in a vinegar/ water/ herb solution before cooking, which I'm assuming has something to do with cutting gamey flavor. Anyone done that?

You can soak them in water with a little lemon juice if you want. The key to the "gamey" taste is what the animal eats in the environment from which it was taken and cleanliness in cleaning it in the first place. Domestic raised rabbits are usually high quality. Cotton tails taken in the wild probably shouldn't be eaten until you've seen frost on the ground at least twice in order to avoid parasites. If you hunt them with a shotgun there's a good chance you'll penetrate the gut and potentially spoil the meat if not cleaned right away. I hunted them as a boy with a .22 trying to hit them in the head to avoid spoiling meat.

Thanks for the ideas!

Yes, soaking wild meat removes the gamey flavor. It's the best thing you can do to lessen that flavor, and frying wild meat is the best way to enjoy gamey meat. Everybody likes fried food!

Thanks for the ideas!

I would not do this unless you're used to it with other meats.

Yes, soaking wild meat removes the gamey flavor. It's the best thing you can do to lessen that flavor, and frying wild meat is the best way to enjoy gamey meat. Everybody likes fried food!

Best thing to do is hunt them in the right environment. If you hunt rabbits in the high desert or in the desert they taste like the desert. if you hunt them in and around farms where wheat and other grains and vegetables are grown, they taste a whole lot different, same with any other game animal.

I don't hunt, but I help process the kills and I cook it.

We always soak the meat immediately after the animal has been cleaned. With deer, we put the meat in an ice chest with ice water, and change out the ice water till the water stays clear. It takes about 3 days. After that it gets portioned into steaks and roasts, and then it's frozen.

When I'm ready to cook it; I defrost and then soak the meat in milk for at least 8 hours before frying, longer is better.

If I am going to roast it, I don't soak it in milk but I stuff the roast with lots of garlic cloves.

Best thing to do is hunt them in the right environment. If you hunt rabbits in the high desert or in the desert they taste like the desert. if you hunt them in and around farms where wheat and other grains and vegetables are grown, they taste a whole lot different, same with any other game animal.

Yeah, I understand. And it's really amazing how just a few weeks of feeding deer corn changes their flavor.

However, after you kill the animal, soaking does remove some of the gamey flavor. Not all of it of course, but it definitely helps. I've been lazy and learned the lesson that soaking the meat does in fact help to lessen the gamey-ness.

Wild? or Domestic? Hopefully, it came properly cleaned.

I raised rabbits for the freezer at my last abode. We cooked them like skinless chicken. The meat was fairly lean, so it could dry out and get tough if you're not on-it when frying. Braising always made a good meal. Sweet and sour rabbit was a family favorite. One Easter, the kids recommended rabbit for dinner and after, they proudly announced to their friends that there's be no Easter bunny next year.

No wild rabbits here other than feral ones that misguided people let loose. But, we have lots of wild hare which are best cooked with a braising or stewing technique after browning.

Restaurant La Buche in Quebec City has fantastic rabbit wings, should you ever get up that way.

Also, if anyone gives you wild duck or even yard bird chickens... Tell them to go fuck themselves, and give the meat to the dogs!

Wild fowl is disgusting, it is the definition of Gamey Flavor!

(I've actually never eaten wild turkey, maybe it's good, idk.)

Yeah, I understand. And it's really amazing how just a few weeks of feeding deer corn changes their flavor.

However, after you kill the animal, soaking does remove some of the gamey flavor. Not all of it of course, but it definitely helps. I've been lazy and learned the lesson that soaking the meat does in fact help to lessen the gamey-ness.

My experience is most of that "gamey taste" comes from what they eat and uncleanly field dressing technique. I hunt deer late in the season when snow is on the ground. I use rubber gloves when gutting the animal and clean the cavity out with clean snow. I make sure the cavity isn't contaminated with hair or dirt. If I'm close to town I take it to a commercial processor for aging and packaging. The key is keeping the meat cooled down and clean to inhibit the growth pf bacteria.

Perhaps stew it as a tagine, North African style?

Spices like cumin, ginger, Ras el hanout are popular for this cuisine. It's not HOT HOT spicy, but more of a FLAVORFUL spicy.

Try this recipe: https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/spiced-rabbit-tagine-with-peas-and-carrots

My experience is most of that "gamey taste" comes from what they eat and uncleanly field dressing technique. I hunt deer late in the season when snow is on the ground. I use rubber gloves when gutting the animal and clean the cavity out with clean snow. I make sure the cavity isn't contaminated with hair or dirt. If I'm close to town I take it to a commercial processor for aging and packaging. The key is keeping the meat cooled down and clean to inhibit the growth pf bacteria.

Soaking the meat in milk before you fry helps lessen the gamey flavor. I'm 100% positive of that fact, and ready for clinical studies to prove me right.

Get the fuck out of my kitchen!!!

Soaking the meat in milk before you fry helps lessen the gamey flavor. I'm 100% positive of that fact, and ready for clinical studies to prove me right.

Get the fuck out of my kitchen!!!

Nobody said you were wrong about soaking your meat. All I'm saying is that alleged gamey flavor has it's origins elsewhere. Don't forget to wash the dishes when you're done.:D

I didn't read the rest of the thread so if anyone has already given any of these tips, I'm sorry.

Rabbit is so pointless it's all dark meat and dry and not worth having.

But if that's all you got, treat it like really, really shitty meat. Know that you'll have to hide the taste and texture, because it is, universally, considered shitty.

That doesn't mean it's inedible or that you can't eventually get something you'll enjoy. Shitty meat can be good if you cook it properly.

A big part of why rabbit tastes awful is the texture. It's all muscle and no marbeling, very few lipids, and lipids are the channels through which flavor flows. So if you want to get flavor into it, you have to use long, slow methods.

So, for example, you can do an overnight marinade, and then do a roast and that winds up pretty good. That's what I usually do. It comes out kinds shreadable, which is what you want. So get yourself some salt, pepper, sugar (or honey but you need a decent amount, I don't measure shit but I'm gonna say like... maybe 1/4 a cup? Maybe a little less? You can also use a can of pop, like dark pop. Pepsi equivalent. Wal-mart brand great value pop. Just fuckin dump it in there. It's rabbit it needs to be in liquid. Don't give a single shit. Not giving a fuck is important. You've already decided to feed your family rabbit you can't get more trailer trash.) Get like some garlic, paprika that brown shit I can never remember the name of that is fermented. Not soy sauce the other one. I wanna say Shire, like Lord of the Rings but I know that's wrong. Then get like a stick of butter, and if you used sugar instead of pop get like a cup of water. Mix all that shit together in a freezer bag- well, melt the butter first then do that. now rip chunks of the rabbit off with your bare hands like a MAN or I mean you can probably also cut it with a knife but like whatever just get it to fit in the bag.

Not put that in the fridge and tell everyone not to touch it because you're going to cook it tomorrow.

The next day, cut up a bunch of taters and carrots and maybe another onion or whatever you like in your roasts, and put them in the bottom of a pan, then dump the whole ass bag on top of them. I mean like open it. But pour it out over the veggies.

Then wrap some tin foil over that bitch and shove it in the oven at like 350 or 400 until it smells like food, so like an hour and a half or two hours.

Like literally just chuck a bunch of shit in a bag and then just chuck another bunch of shit in a pan. It's super easy and takes like ten minutes.

Oh shit also you should have sprayed the pan. Now it's gonna stick. Shoulda sprayed it with cooking oil. That ones on me.

I've seen people do this in a slow cooker so you could also do that but I don't know how long to leave it on for. I guess just all day because that's how those things are. I mean look at it and if it looks raw don't eat it. It's the same process, all the same steps just dump it in a slow cooker instead of a roasting pan when you get to that step.

Also make biscuits because you'll want biscuits.

first, bop over the head whoever gave you a rabbit.

next, feed it to the garbage disposal and say 10 prayers to st. francis.

third, go to taco bell.

Back