Crappy Restaurants

Bebop3

Really Experienced
This may be the least productive post I've had here, and that's saying a lot.

What's with all the crappy restaurants that populate stories on Literotica?

I get it. As a writer you want to use whatever tool you can to ground your reader in the story. Name recognition helps.

But having Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, and Outback as favorite restaurants is just... odd. Not that it's unreasonable once in a while, but it seems that if a character mentions taking someone to their favorite place, it's very often one of those three.

Also, lots of Golden Corral and Waffle House mentions. That's more understandable, I guess. Although Golden Corral needs to be taken behind the barn like a rabid dog and put out of it's misery.

Maybe this is the epitome of "write what you know"? Not everyone can afford that exclusive Sushi place where they slice the Fugu at your table...

I like Olive Garden loll and those three are better than McDonalds. But I would think a fictious place would be easier to get into a story. I think my ability to appreciate a story might be tainted if it is some place I have been in real life. But maybe it is the opposite for other people.

No word of a lie, if I was single and a man bought me to Sizzler for our first date I'd probably put out.

Most of my stories are set in small towns so the list of restaurants, good or bad, is limited. You have to work with what you have. ;)

We mostly avoid the chains. Small and interesting are much better settings, especially if there is to be conversation.
-MM

Maybe this is the epitome of "write what you know"? Not everyone can afford that exclusive Sushi place where they slice the Fugu at your table...

I LOVE restaurants. And writing scenes set in restaurants. And food! It's in those chinese genes. "The first reaction of chinese to anything new is to ask 'what does it taste like?'" It's so true!:D

Well, eating Chinese at the Emerald Garden (this one's set my local chinese restaurant but I've never seen stuff like this...)

And then there's la sélection du Chef based on another restaurant I went to (and kept a menu....). Just, Yum! (I didn't do the chocolate thing tho, maybe next time... :rose:)

A French restaurant (based on one I was taken out to when I was at College a few times)

Aaaaaand Italian - based on one back where my beloved hales from (wooo, new word ... "hales") - the food in this place is just divine and my SO really does know the guy that runs it so.... wow!

And "Breakfast at the Ace Cafe" from ""Chinese Takeout" - this one's modeled on a place Handley Page and Ogg might know. The Ace Cafe in London. The restaurant stuff starts half way down the page....

Last edited:
This may be the least productive post I've had here, and that's saying a lot.

What's with all the crappy restaurants that populate stories on Literotica?

I took my characters to Vue de Monde in 'Unleashed'. I agree with you, if you're going to have a culinary experience it should be worth putting on the page.

It should at least be a place you'd enjoy being. Then again, if you enjoy being somewhere the carpet sticks to your feet and salmonella is used as a garnish, I guess you should write about going there. :D

I think that I may have eaten in an Outback when I was researching a story in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I seem to recall that it was OK. Not haute cuisine; but OK. :)

I took my characters to Vue de Monde in 'Unleashed'. I agree with you, if you're going to have a culinary experience it should be worth putting on the page.

Aaaaand - another reason to visit Melbourne next time!

And there's some restaurants with such amazing names that just make you want to go there. The "Bangalore Polo Club" was one we went to in New Zealand it the food was only okay but the look and feel of the place was worth it all by itself

Last edited:
It seems to me that the only important issue is to make the restaurant fit the social status of the characters...and the setting.

What? Son of a bitch, I knew that I was missing something. I need to go full Nascar.

Okay, I double dog dare you:
Write a sex scene that would be around 100 words without product placements, and then include as many brand product references as you possibly can.
SUDDEN DEATH MODE: No birth control, lubrication, or sex toy/aid brands.

I agree with you, if you're going to have a culinary experience it should be worth putting on the page.
Me 3.

Speaking of which, here’s the magic list

I’m always bowled over at the number of 3 star restaurants in Japan. When a fellow Minneapolan insists, “We’re a foodie city!” I can’t hide my “Yuh huh, right” face.

(Old school food snob, me. I grew up spoiled. My best friend’s parents as a kid were CIA chefs.)

I agree with you, if you're going to have a culinary experience it should be worth putting on the page.

He said, with his mouth full.

The yellow M illuminated the car park, glowing a soft light (although the clown was a little disturbing). Later, they'd go down to the fun park. Apparently the ferris wheel was working again.

All the names in the original post mean nothing at all to me.
They're common in USA but negligible.

I'm trying to recall if I ever set a scene in any of my stories that was set in a named eatery and I can't come up with any. How about a plot bunny hopping between fast and casual dining dumps, a hot fuck in every kitchen or whatever?

Yes, in certain locales, certain omnipresences can't be omitted. Try to write about Guatemala without mentioning Pollo Campero. Impossible!

Aaaaand - another reason to visit Melbourne next time!

And there's some restaurants with such amazing names that just make you want to go there. The "Bangalore Polo Club" was one we went to in New Zealand it the food was only okay but the look and feel of the place was worth it all by itself

The food in Melb is stellar. This place... THIS place.

http://www.maxbrenner.com.au/

The website is shite, but the one on QV square is brilliant. I've sat outside in a storm on a date, just to go there. :D I'm not a big fan of chocolate, but they have all kinds of interesting crap there other than chocolate.

He said, with his mouth full.

The yellow M illuminated the car park, glowing a soft light (although the clown was a little disturbing). Later, they'd go down to the fun park. Apparently the ferris wheel was working again.

Cock. Setting that story in Maccas was a CHALLENGE.

In one of my stories, the protagonists brought a friend over from Denmark for a visit, and she LOVED McDonald's in all its awfulness, simply because it was so decadent. Shamrock shakes weren't in season, but she was quite prepared to flash the staff in an attempt to get them to make one for her.

Gross food has its own intrigue, I guess. That's what Freja told me...

Back