How to block someone

KimGordon67

Rampant feminist
Not quite ... obviously it's easy to add someone to your 'ignore' list, but if you do that, can they still read your posts? (I don't care about not seeing their posts any more, but it would be good to know if you can prevent someone from seeing your posts.)

And yes, I checked the FAQs.

No, it just prevents them from PMing you and makes it so their posts don't show to you. They can still look at your profile and see all of your posts. If you ignore someone and the try to PM you you won't receive anything and they won't get any indication they've been blocked.

I prefer that; if I am creeped out by someone, I don't want him to know. Don't poke the bear.

There is at least one person on here I would like to block completely. In fact I would prefer to see him banned. He appears to debase almost every thread with the same 'shit' posts.

There is at least one person on here I would like to block completely. In fact I would prefer to see him banned. He appears to debase almost every thread with the same 'shit' posts.

Well, now we obviously want to know who it is. (But surely if you put him on 'ignore', you won't have to deal with him anymore?)

There is a clue to identity within inverted commas.

I blocked him almost immediately. Ugh. Yeah, banning would be good - but only effective for that username, which he'd immediately switch. I wonder if they can block by IP address?

Not quite ... obviously it's easy to add someone to your 'ignore' list, but if you do that, can they still read your posts? (I don't care about not seeing their posts any more, but it would be good to know if you can prevent someone from seeing your posts.)

And yes, I checked the FAQs.

It would be really nice if Lit's ignore feature could work like FB's blocking feature.

I blocked him almost immediately. Ugh. Yeah, banning would be good - but only effective for that username, which he'd immediately switch. I wonder if they can block by IP address?

They do, but with all the free VPN and Proxy services out there, it likely that the IP they blocked was one of those.

It is impossible to block someone on the net from reading your posts. Plain and simple - impossible.

As mentioned above, proxy and VPN, new profiles - there's always a way. So jut don't write something that you don't want to be seen by your enemies.:rolleyes:

It is impossible to block someone on the net from reading your posts. Plain and simple - impossible.

As mentioned above, proxy and VPN, new profiles - there's always a way. So jut don't write something that you don't want to be seen by your enemies.:rolleyes:

That's all fine and good, but if someone is in a stalker situation, any post, even about trivial things, can be problematic. It's not always just about not liking someone.

Just last week a litster chose to leave this board because she was being blackmailed.

No ignore feature of this planet can prevent that you become a victim of a crime. If you are a victim of a crime, then you call the police. If you are not a victim of a crime, then you are maybe just too sensitive for a free speech forum.

If lit fails to retain or encourage new female posters or we are too 'private' to discuss the reality of our sexuality then surely a considerable appeal here is lost to heterosexual men too?

This is an interesting twist of sexual discrimination. I would expect that male and female posters are treated equally.

Denny

Only one?
Lit has been taken over by Alts who are only here to spread crap.
I can't believe how easy it appears to be to come back over and over under another user name.

My guess is there are lurkers more than members. You are right that nothing can prevent that, my point was that it was not 'enemies'. It could be even a non member.

Enemy
A person who is actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.
from Latin inimicus, from in- ‘not’ + amicus ‘friend’.

No idea why this term would be wrong. *shrugs*

Only one?
I can't believe how easy it appears to be to come back over and over under another user name.

That sort of thing you find more readily in the GB. In the other fora, moderators react quickly to posters who are abusive and don't adhere to guidelines, both general and those specific to the particular forum.

*edit to add*
I see BabblingBrooke has beat me to the comment. Should've read through the thread, I suppose. :eek:

Last edited:
No ignore feature of this planet can prevent that you become a victim of a crime. If you are a victim of a crime, then you call the police. If you are not a victim of a crime, then you are maybe just too sensitive for a free speech forum.

I don't think you can characterise people's behaviour into either 'criminal' or 'not worthy of concern'. Life isn't really that simple.

Thanks for reiterating the point that I'd already got.

And, as with my response to Primalex, your analysis of the situation is a little over-simplified.

Perhaps not exactly what you want, but you could create your own alt so that your potential stalker won't know that a particular post is from you (and will be less likely to find and read that post).

Only one?

Here is my ignore list...it's all one person. Now I don't care if he reads my post, but I sure as hell don't want to see his.

Antivirus
Automatically
BrokeDick
cadeauxxx
dyslexic
Floridian
GeorgeWalker
GeorgeWallace
GrandmaMello
GrandpaBill
GrandpaShapiro
janeblondiesexy