I don't get it.

warrior queen

early bird snack pack
Why leave, only to make another name and come back?
Behind the new name, you're still YOU, no matter what you call yourself.
Seems rather pointless to me.
Especially if people know the new you is the old you.
You can't reinvent 'you' if everyone knows, right?
And then there's the whole 'trying not to be the you that you used to be' thing.

Somebody explain this to me.

can accounts be deleted by owners? it may be done to erase evidence of posts. if someone was a crazy idiot to everyone, but there's no hard evidence people tend to forgive and forget a little easier.

are you referring to anyone in particular?

i went from chipbutty to butters - just because i preferred it. didn't open a new account, though; laurel changed my username for me.

i went from chipbutty to butters - just because i preferred it

I get changing your name if you're still the same persona and don't pretend to be otherwise.
I don't get trying to become someone else.

i went from chipbutty to butters - just because i preferred it

A name change is find but I think WQ means coming back as a new persona?

Did you just watch that doc on BBC4 about Ladybird Books? Bloody fab.

A weed by any other name....

What I don't get? Why some posters so carefully cultivate their abrasive, combative internet personas.(whatever account they use)

You KNOW they don't have the balls to talk like they do here in real life. (...or ovaries, but almost always balls) The whole keyboard-gangster slinging insults crap just makes them look like scared little boys.

Last edited:
I get changing your name if you're still the same persona and don't pretend to be otherwise.
I don't get trying to become someone else.

some wear a name like a skin; when they tire of the skin, they shed it and start afresh. by leaving their account and beginning a new one, even if others know it's the same person, for some it must feel liberating. psychological probably.

others do stuff they're not happy to have done, or been discovered lying or all manner of possibilities and so change skins to obscure these things.

some wear a name like a skin; when they tire of the skin, they shed it and start afresh. by leaving their account and beginning a new one, even if others know it's the same person, for some it must feel liberating. psychological probably.

others do stuff they're not happy to have done, or been discovered lying or all manner of possibilities and so change skins to obscure these things.

Yes, ok, I get that. Sorta.
But underneath it all you are the same person, no matter what you call yourself.
So why do it at all? In r/l you have to live with yourself.
The escape into another persona is a fleeting thing.

Well, I've seen some of this here over the years. There are lots of situations.

Not everybody is trying to be themselves. Take the case of KRC, or Karen Kraft, or several people I can't recall the user name of. A man posting as a woman.
Once they get outed, it really cramps their style.

Then there are attention-seeking assholes. Eventually so many people put them on ignore, stop responding to them and stop opening their threads that they try a new identity to get the attention they used to have and it works for a while , at least among newbies and infrequent visitors.

Then there are the people who can't get into their account due to a glich or forgetfulness.

Some people come up with a "character" for comic purposes ( such as the Amish Pope), or trolling purposes.

Some people have a spouse use their information here against them in a divorce, so they abandon that identity.

Some people are players and users, and they abandon an identity once it loses enough trust and credibility to work for them.

Upon learning of somebody's alt I have often thought "Why did they bother, I can't tell them apart? I mentally lump those guys together"

Some people take a new identity because they have a troll or stalker.

On other sites where people are easily banned, that becomes a common reason for an alt.

well, sweets....
i'll play in this sandbox as... i've written as another or two...

I COME HERE TO WRITE

each nom has had a distinctly different voice...
each a different style...

each exists to find a voice.

the one who wrote them may have been the same, but...

not the same voice.

a change of clothes...
a nom de guerre

different places
different guerres...

THIS PLACE IS NOT EXACTLY REAL, SWEETS...

it's an electronic sandbox...
in which all of us seem to sometimes shit...

Why leave, only to make another name and come back?
Behind the new name, you're still YOU, no matter what you call yourself.
Seems rather pointless to me.
Especially if people know the new you is the old you.
You can't reinvent 'you' if everyone knows, right?
And then there's the whole 'trying not to be the you that you used to be' thing.

Somebody explain this to me.

Some people come to forums like this with a script in their head. They say their line, but no one catches the cue and in a few posts the script might as well be abandoned. The ad libs depress them, so they come back time and time again, hoping this time we get it right.

Maybe some people simply regret their first choice of nick for some reason.

I almost registered myself under AwesomeLoveStudAndGodsGiftToWomen, but changed my mind when realizing that it might jeopardize my anonymity if people who know me in real life should drop by...

A weed by any other name....

What I don't get? Why some posters so carefully cultivate their abrasive, combative internet personas.(whatever account they use)

You KNOW they don't have the balls to talk like they do here in real life. (...or ovaries, but almost always balls) The whole keyboard-gangster slinging insults crap just makes them look like scared little boys.

But do you really wanna roll the dice and find out?

I usta work with a black woman who had a genius for switching personalities. At training seminars she always volunteered to play the difficult patient, and always made the expert presenter look like a fool.

Back