Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've benefited from this many times, especially in high school, when the dress code for girls was much, much looser than it was for boys.

That said, it annoys the hell out of me. Ever notice that while male symphony members are usually dressed in tuxes, many of the women look like they donned a cheap, black cotton dress for the evening?

When I was in my senior year at High School in Australia, the dress code was a grey lounge suit with a school tie, and when arriving or leaving the school grounds, a trilby hat with the hat ribbon in the school colours. Younger pupils wore a blazer and a school cap. Captains and Vice-Captains of the various sports teams used to wear the blazer with merit additions to the badge on the blazer and a distinctive cap for their sport with added gold trim on the peak.

The dress code was modified by hot weather. If the shade temperature reached 100F we could remove our suit jackets or blazers. If it reached 105F we could remove our ties.

All the students at the parallel girls school wore blazers. The senior year wore plaid skirts (hem at least 3 inches below the knee) white blouses, white knee stockings, their school tie and a straw boater with a ribbon in the school colours. In the summer term younger girls wore a distinctively striped summer dress (dress hem at least 3 inches below the knee), the blazer, and the boater. In the Spring and Autumn terms the juniors wore a different plaid skirt.

The school outfitters for both schools produced the outfits in lightweight materials for summer wear, but both sexes perspired.

During external examinations the dress code was in abeyance. Just as well for me. I took my Latin examination in a glass-roofed examination hall. The temperature inside the hall during that examination reached 108F. I still passed Latin.

Last edited:
Had that dream where I forgot my luggage for Vegas again... I don't like that dream.

Today when I went out for lunch the stem of a green from my salad got stuck up my nose. It's still a mystery how it happened, but it was kind of embarrassing to have to pull it out. :eek:

I wish I could shake this nightmare off that I was having last night!

I hate that. :rose:

Are you still counting, baby?? :heart:

I hope you are enjoying your trip and thinking of me once in a while.:kiss:

Coldhearted impersonal "Nature" never ceases trying to kill you from the moment you're conceived 'til the inevitable day it succeeds.

Last edited:
I always loved the Dick Van Dyke show as a kid, and I just watched an episode for the first time in about twenty years (season #1, episode #9).

It's amazing how similar my marriage is to Rob and Laura's (except for the separate beds part). Not sure what this says about either of us.

Last edited:
I always loved the Dick Van Dyke show as a kid, and I just watched an episode for the first time in about twenty years (season #1, episode #9).

It's amazing how similar my marriage is to Rob and Laura's (except for the separate beds part). Not sure what this says about either of us.
For one thing, it says you've got a pretty good marriage.

For one thing, it says you've got a pretty good marriage.

True. :)

Unrelated blurt:
Just turned on the Notre Dame - Air Force game. Seeing the word "service"* written on the back of so many strapping young men makes me think of things other than football. :devil:

*In case you don't know, Air Force doesn't put names on the back of Jerseys, just the words Service and Freedom.

Thank you for...

Your patience with me...
Your time that you share so freely...
Your heart that you give so completely...

:heart:6:heart:

I can already tell this isn't going to be a great day.:(

So can I. I've got a head cold, I'm running a temperature, and 10 month-old grandson is being crotchety.

Some family news from the weekend isn't good, and the meeting was I going to tonight has been cancelled - again - and I had moved appointments so I could go.

I can already tell this isn't going to be a great day.:(

So can I. I've got a head cold, I'm running a temperature, and 10 month-old grandson is being crotchety.

Some family news from the weekend isn't good, and the meeting was I going to tonight has been cancelled - again - and I had moved appointments so I could go.

First off, I hope things improve for both of you.

But... me three!

The kid woke up four times last night, and vomited three times. She has a stomach bug, is teething, and misses her dad, who left yesterday for the week. A great combination, really.

Unfortunately, I can't wash those yucky pj's since we're in the midst of our bi-annual sewage line back-up! The water and sewer lines in my neighborhood are still terra cotta, and the sewer line has a slight break in it someplace after the municipal connection. Every other year or so, red clay soil and tree roots clog up the line enough so that not a lot of water can get past at a time. Running the washer (or taking a shower, or running a faucet while flushing the toilet, etc) is enough to make water back up into our house.

Hopefully they get out soon to fix it. We'll get to watch a geyser erupt in our yard, and then we'll have some yummy raw sewage on our front lawn until it all washes away into the ditch.

Yay, underfunded infrastructure! Yay, low-tax and low-fee U.S. South!

On the plus side... it's fall! I'm thinking of making either butternut squash scones, butternut squash cupcakes, or Long Island cheese squash pie today (squash tastes better than pumpkin, trust me). And I think the massive amounts of probiotic supplements I've been consuming have stopped the stomach bug from attacking me, so that's good, too.

Last edited:
Hopefully they get out soon to fix it. We'll get to watch a geyser erupt in our yard, and then we'll have some yummy raw sewage on our front lawn until it all washes away into the ditch.

Makes excellent fertilizer. Your lawn will look wonderful by Spring.

YEP! It was a sucky day from the get go.....

I'll take another shot at tomorrow that it will be better than today.

Thanks for your words, Tatyana!:rose:

Og! I hope you feel better soon. I don't know how these germs get across the pond.:confused:

Thee! You NEVER get IT! Dig up that thread about not having sex today. I'll add a line with you.:)

Things are looking up.

The cold is going, leaving me with an intermittent cough, but my diabetic checkup showed lower long-term blood sugar down from 8.8 to 7.7 (target is 7.5) and I've lost 3 kilos of weight since June.

Visited a Sikh temple as part of a group today. I didn't know that they provide free food to anyone who visits. Apart from a token sweetmeat and a cup of tea, we declined,having booked a lunch in a nearby hotel.

The architecture was fantastic in both senses - fantastically designed and executed with skill in expensive marble, tiling and decoration.

I had to wear something to cover my head. I choose a cheesecutter flat cap because my wife objected to the other choices - a battered Australian Army hat or a Chicago Bears cap. I didn't think my 'cake on head', nor my grey silk topper, were appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back