Yank's Free Range Turkey Trot Warming House and Bondage Barn

That IS the saddest thing I've read here in a long time (DougFord notwithstanding).

Was it ever? The existance of the GB says "No".

If you find a safe space...okay, I don't have an end to that sentence that doesn't sound pretentious or insincere.

Fuck.

Hi Yank.

I don’t think there can be such a thing as a safe place that is also open to anyone. Some of the places that seem safer and friendlie, do so only by not talking openly about the problems in the background.

Sorry Yank, we kinda hijacked your thread.

The "closed group" is no solution either because either everyone is in violent agreement or it breaks down on some trivial point. Fresh blood , new ideas, challenging (but not offensive) ideas. I suspect it is nearly impossible to create a safe space without a total Big Brother monitor. Its sad that we have all this technology and we are reduced to being careful what we say so we don't wake the sleeping monsters.

Fuck.

Sorry Yank, we kinda hijacked your thread.

The "closed group" is no solution either because either everyone is in violent agreement or it breaks down on some trivial point. Fresh blood , new ideas, challenging (but not offensive) ideas. I suspect it is nearly impossible to create a safe space without a total Big Brother monitor. Its sad that we have all this technology and we are reduced to being careful what we say so we don't wake the sleeping monsters.

Fuck.

True.

Looking out for each other and speaking up and standing up when needed, is probably the best we can do.

You do. I like that.

Many people are in favour of being nice and not making waves. They tend to confuse it with being a good person.

I've spent my whole life trying to not make waves or be "a bother" and let me tell you, it can be exhausting. But it also never allowed me to learn how to stand up for myself or others.

I admire Fara and so many others that can just dump everything out there with a take it or leave it attitude. I break out in hives over doing something like that! LOL. I do much better in PMs or texting with one or two people at a time.

I've tried to step out more here in the cafe but will usually get a little freaked out and retreat to lurking or just posting pics to explain my feelings which annoys more than a few.

I've spent my whole life trying to not make waves or be "a bother" and let me tell you, it can be exhausting. But it also never allowed me to learn how to stand up for myself or others.

I admire Fara and so many others that can just dump everything out there with a take it or leave it attitude. I break out in hives over doing something like that! LOL. I do much better in PMs or texting with one or two people at a time.

I've tried to step out more here in the cafe but will usually get a little freaked out and retreat to lurking or just posting pics to explain my feelings which annoys more than a few.

I don’t think everyone has to be ready to be the bringer of uncomfortable truths. Few are comfortable doing that in any situation.

The people I was thinking about are the ones who see the person bringing up the problem as the cause of discomfort, rather than the actual cause of said problem.

That’s enough intellectual blather, for now at least. Mostly because I didn’t get in on the fun here, of course. ;)

It’s Autumn here (north of the equator) and for me that signals a change in foods, sort of like putting away the polo shirts and bringing out the flannels. Such as oatmeal for breakfast, which never seems appropriate in the summer.

I know there are plenty of cool-season food preferences (except perhaps for Gracie, whose cool season means overnight lows in the mid-seventies F), so what are yours?

That’s enough intellectual blather, for now at least. Mostly because I didn’t get in on the fun here, of course. ;)

It’s Autumn here (north of the equator) and for me that signals a change in foods, sort of like putting away the polo shirts and bringing out the flannels. Such as oatmeal for breakfast, which never seems appropriate in the summer.

I know there are plenty of cool-season food preferences (except perhaps for Gracie, whose cool season means overnight lows in the mid-seventies F), so what are yours?

Comfort food...beef or chicken stew, lasagna, hearty soups, even meat based spaghetti sauce with pasta. Oh, and shortbread...a traditional Xmas treat in my family.

I got a surprise yesterday AM when I stepped outside to feed the feral kitties. It was 57F! It was lovely to do yard work in the coolness.

J worked yesterday and said more than one or two folks showed up wearing parkas!

We eat oatmeal year round:D

Since there's no real change of season, I make soups and stews weekly. But if its rainy, I crave a hearty beef stew with a thick slab of warm sourdough bread.

Yes, chili, beef Stroganoff, yellow pea soup with Swedish Punch, risottos, soups.
Made chicken soup last week with fresh ginger, lemon, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, tumeric and noodles. Well, and chicken.
Used fresh tumeric this time and only just got the yellow colour off my hands. Note to future self-vinyl gloves.

I'm tempted to say all of the above.

Sometimes I fantasize about going on an extended road trip for the sole purpose of connecting with my many Lit friends and acquaintances. And believe me when I say that I prioritize the list of people to visit by the likelihood of getting a really good meal with them, and home-cooked where possible.

Sometimes I fantasize about going on an extended road trip for the sole purpose of connecting with my many Lit friends and acquaintances. And believe me when I say that I prioritize the list of people to visit by the likelihood of getting a really good meal with them, and home-cooked where possible.

Holler if you are in the neighbourhood.

Rats! Now I've got no possibility of getting a visit from Yank. :(

Holler if you are in the neighbourhood.

I would be starting from near Chicago. Isn’t it likely that my car would get wet, very wet, if I tried to drive to your neighborhood? Not ruling out travel by other means, of course, but this fantasy has a top-down convertible with the radio blaring vibe to it.

Rats! Now I've got no possibility of getting a visit from Yank. :(

I could make an exception for someone who knows how to pick a good restaurant. ;)

Yeeesh, Long Island traffic. But it would be worth it.

All this talk about food and traveling around food makes me wonder what everyone would include on their food journey if they could travel and hang out with some of our fantastic cooks along with dropping by some good restaurants.

I would start at Lafayette, and work my way around the Gulf coast down to Key West, then up the Atlantic seaboard to Mount Desert Island, sampling seafood all the way. Anyone so inclined would, of course, be welcome.

I would start at Lafayette, and work my way around the Gulf coast down to Key West, then up the Atlantic seaboard to Mount Desert Island, sampling seafood all the way. Anyone so inclined would, of course, be welcome.

It's stone crab season here! So yummy!

Back