What's the Difference

Which teachers? On which topics? What constitutes a teacher? Oh, and by the way, I'm a teacher, does that mean I'm always right? If so, what if I say that Teachers are sometimes wrong? :confused:

Teachers shouldn't be wrong-ever.

We are all teachers in life. If you stop and ask someone on the street for directions, they will teach you where to go. They want you to go the right way, or they would say they didn't know the right way. But, either one of those answers are correct.

Now, you might ask another person for directions who is a jokester, or stupid, and they send you on the wrong way for the fun of it, or because they don't know any better. I wouldn't call them a "teacher", but as the student, you might argue that you learned a lessson. It just wasn't the lesson you were studying for.

Either case, nothing to fight about.
 
Teachers shouldn't be wrong-ever.

We are all teachers in life. If you stop and ask someone on the street for directions, they will teach you where to go. They want you to go the right way, or they would say they didn't know the right way. But, either one of those answers are correct.

Now, you might ask another person for directions who is a jokester, or stupid, and they send you on the wrong way for the fun of it, or because they don't know any better. I wouldn't call them a "teacher", but as the student, you might argue that you learned a lessson. It just wasn't the lesson you were studying for.

Either case, nothing to fight about.

But to never be wrong implies one is perfect, and no one is.
 
How can you tell that the person you are talking to is a genuine teacher, not a jokester?

And if you witnessed someone arguing with this possibly genuine possibly not teacher-- would you say the 'student' was wrong to argue?
 
We are all teachers in life.
So your definition of teacher is everyone? As a teacher, I have to say you're wrong. And since I'm never wrong, I'm right and you should listen to me and stop saying silly thing like this. You can't define yourself to victory.

If you're going to start a discussion, you can't use vague terms which only you get to define. That is not a discussion, that is you wanting to lecture us on some personal philosophy.

A discussion means that the two people use terms with agreed upon definitions.

Remember, I'm the teacher. I'm always right. :cattail:
 
So your definition of teacher is everyone? As a teacher, I have to say you're wrong. And since I'm never wrong, I'm right and you should listen to me and stop saying silly thing like this. You can't define yourself to victory.

If you're going to start a discussion, you can't use vague terms which only you get to define. That is not a discussion, that is you wanting to lecture us on some personal philosophy.

A discussion means that the two people use terms with agreed upon definitions.

Remember, I'm the teacher. I'm always right. :cattail:

Originally, I wanted to know the difference between arguing and fighting. The Pilot brought in the word discussion.

I just feel we are all here to teach each other something and somehow, things turn into an argument or a down right fight, but its tough to know who is arguing and who is fighting without a volume button on these words. Fighting doesn't ever have to be loud. Silence says alot, too.

CAPS LOCK button works for somethings and swear words could work, except at my sister's house. They always swear and its just a normal conversation. But, they all have opinions.

I didn't have time to get back to you earlier, teach. I was out with the girls tonight.

Do you think teachers have a right to be wrong? I think teachers should just be able to tell us who, what, where, and how. Beyond that, its just a what if and then they are just forcing us to use our imagination.

All of that has nothing to do with my original question, but you are welcome to comment. Please do.............
 
How can you tell that the person you are talking to is a genuine teacher, not a jokester?

And if you witnessed someone arguing with this possibly genuine possibly not teacher-- would you say the 'student' was wrong to argue?

You can't. I've been duped.

Yes, I would. I am respectful. I would also listen to both sides and form my own opinion. Probably choose a side at that point. Its probably how the democratic and republican parties began.
 
Do you think teachers have a right to be wrong? I think teachers should just be able to tell us who, what, where, and how. Beyond that, its just a what if and then they are just forcing us to use our imagination.
It depends on what the teacher is teaching. Engineering? The teacher had better be right. But since engineering is such a hard-edged field, it's pretty easy to make sure of one's facts.

Philosophy? No student will hear the same thing in the lecture hall. Teacher can say what's right for them, and that's it.

Education has two goals; one is to inculcate the facts and the skills which we need to manipulate our world; math and language, a little art would be nice.

The other is to train people to think. Think for themselves, how to search out data, how to make a qualified judgment. Any teacher who teaches people to think will have students who argue with them-- that's how they know they've done their job!
 
People always confuse argument with quarrel. When your dog has a larger vocabulary than you, this happens.
 
But this "fuck" doesn't count, right?

Yeah, you are right, Pilot. You don't swear.

So, I'm clear now on what's arguing for you and what's fighting for you. This helps. Arguing being just a glorified discussion, and fighting being really pissed off.

Now, if I can get the BOSTONFICTIONWRITER, Michchick, Scouries, Lloyd, etc., to clarify, that will help me, too.

What you see going on in certain threads is fighting. It goes way beyond my personal definition of arguing.

IMO, arguing is two intelligent people having a heated discussion over a certain topic, such as my dad and me last night when we were talking about Miss California and the subject of gay marriage. We never shouted or got angry, but our opinions on the matter were vastly different. In the end, we agreed to disagree and effectively ended the argument while still respecting each other's opinions.

Now, if I'd been discussing the same issue with a friend or co-worker and he or she started name calling (either me or the subjects of our discussion) then I'd consider that fighting. His/her voice would be raised, my voice would be raised, more than likely profanity would be involved and it would get rather ugly.
 
Do you think teachers have a right to be wrong? I think teachers should just be able to tell us who, what, where, and how. Beyond that, its just a what if and then they are just forcing us to use our imagination.

Okay, I know you're not addressing me on this, but I had to chime in. And no offense to 3113 or any other teachers out there.

In my high school days, I recall a few of my teachers being wrong on occasion. No, not on the basic stuff they needed to teach, but on other things. I watched students respectably argue their points with the teacher, who then became the student briefly, while he or she learned something new from a different POV.

In the long run, I think the difference between an argument and a fight is respect. People can argue without name calling or being hateful and the people involved still have respect for each other.

Once the name calling and hatefulness comes out, the respect is gone. At that point it's fighting.
 
To me an argument is a fight. It is all a matter of intensity. A discussion becomes an argument when one of those involved insists that the other agree with them instead of respecting their right not to.
For whatever that is worth......
 
Shitwits never check the dictionary for the meaning of anything. They just make it up as they go along.

An argument is a debate of conflicted viewpoints. The point of a debate is to get closer to the truth.

A quarrel is an angry dispute. The point of a quarrel is dominating your opponent.
 
Shitwits never check the dictionary for the meaning of anything. They just make it up as they go along.

An argument is a debate of conflicted viewpoints. The point of a debate is to get closer to the truth.

A quarrel is an angry dispute. The point of a quarrel is dominating your opponent.

It's little comments like "shitwit" that starts the fights, JBJ.
 
Well considering you're probably one of the most ignored people on this site (and I know there are probably a lot people ignoring me too) it kinda defeats the whole purpose of getting people to read you when they can't see you.

Of course, by me quoting you, I'm defeating the purpose of their ignore. I need to remember not to quote the poo flinging monkeys
 
MICHCHICK

Dont be me, be who you want me to be.

I get it.

Ignore is probably a lot more important to you than it is to me. It assumes that youre worth a shit as a reader, I dont think you are. You strike me as ignorant and not too bright. So what have I lost when a yahoo ignores me?
 
What you see going on in certain threads is fighting. It goes way beyond my personal definition of arguing.

IMO, arguing is two intelligent people having a heated discussion over a certain topic, such as my dad and me last night when we were talking about Miss California and the subject of gay marriage. We never shouted or got angry, but our opinions on the matter were vastly different. In the end, we agreed to disagree and effectively ended the argument while still respecting each other's opinions.

Now, if I'd been discussing the same issue with a friend or co-worker and he or she started name calling (either me or the subjects of our discussion) then I'd consider that fighting. His/her voice would be raised, my voice would be raised, more than likely profanity would be involved and it would get rather ugly.

Thanks for your input Michigan Lady. Its been good for me to see how you and everyone else feels about these two words--arguing/fighting. I can see there is a thin line between the two and it doesn't take too much to cross over it. I think its going to boil down to how much a person can tolerate.
 
To me an argument is a fight. It is all a matter of intensity. A discussion becomes an argument when one of those involved insists that the other agree with them instead of respecting their right not to.
For whatever that is worth......

I got it. You are worthy. Thanks for your input.
 
It depends on what the teacher is teaching. Engineering? The teacher had better be right. But since engineering is such a hard-edged field, it's pretty easy to make sure of one's facts.

Philosophy? No student will hear the same thing in the lecture hall. Teacher can say what's right for them, and that's it.

Education has two goals; one is to inculcate the facts and the skills which we need to manipulate our world; math and language, a little art would be nice.

The other is to train people to think. Think for themselves, how to search out data, how to make a qualified judgment. Any teacher who teaches people to think will have students who argue with them-- that's how they know they've done their job!

Ok, Stella, you'll get no argument from me here. Well said! Thanks for you input.
 
So your definition of teacher is everyone? As a teacher, I have to say you're wrong. And since I'm never wrong, I'm right and you should listen to me and stop saying silly thing like this. You can't define yourself to victory.

If you're going to start a discussion, you can't use vague terms which only you get to define. That is not a discussion, that is you wanting to lecture us on some personal philosophy.

A discussion means that the two people use terms with agreed upon definitions.

Remember, I'm the teacher. I'm always right. :cattail:

How about a fair fight when everyone stays on topic? This teacher thing just evolved and was never the orginal topic. It's my turn to be right, now.
 
Thanks for your input Michigan Lady. Its been good for me to see how you and everyone else feels about these two words--arguing/fighting. I can see there is a thin line between the two and it doesn't take too much to cross over it. I think its going to boil down to how much a person can tolerate.

The outcome you want is what determines where the arguments go; you either get closer to the truth or you try to dominate your opponent. Most people posting to AH already know what the truth is, so they go for domination.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top