What's for dinner?

What state do you live in, where is there snow like that right now?
Our rural hamlet sits at 4000 ft / 1200 m in California's central Sierra Nevada range, dead in the path of the atmospheric river that clobbered us the past week and saved this weekend for the uphill ski resorts. I glance out the window; frozen water falls at this very moment.

Update 1/2 hour later: precip has become heavy. Theat's a solid wal of mini-hail out there, like a drenching downpour but frozen. This has lasted longer than usual. Maybe I should collect some for sangria slushes. Oops, too late -- it's shifted to little snow crystals. Big fluffy flakes should soon waft down.

Last edited:
Our rural hamlet sits at 4000 ft / 1200 m in California's central Sierra Nevada range, dead in the path of the atmospheric river that clobbered us the past week and saved this weekend for the uphill ski resorts. I glance out the window; frozen water falls at this very moment.

That sounds like a nice place.

Venison minute steaks crock potted with mushrooms, 1/4 cup of red wine, bacon drippings and a couple pieces of crisp bacon left over from breakfast. Green beans with toasted slivered almonds and some boiled rutabaga.

Also cooked chicken with a couple different toppings and baked acorn squash so I have meals for the next couple days.

That sounds like a nice place.
Mixed reviews. Decent environment, beautiful mountains, fairly low cost of living, and some family nearby. But it's a bit boring and culturally deprived, we're out a rough road, and shopping or medics require 1-4 hours driving.

Very limited dining spots too. Too bad we didn't get our ex-celeb-chef son-in-law to buy the local golf course and upgrade its kitchen. We're left with over-salted vegan, redneck burgers, bake-your-own pizza, tired Chinese, and steakhouses that open and crash regularly. Best are deli sandwiches from the local grocery. There IS prize-winning ice cream a few miles away.

Change approaches. The SF Bay Area & Silicon Valley's hyperpriced homes are forcing an exodus to the Central Valley & Sacramento, in turn driving valleyites into the hills, which means here. Book values of modest homes are soaring. More businesses and doctors will hopefully be attracted.

In a few months we may face a decision on moving. We'll see.

Last edited:
Spicey Stew. Handmade with ground beef and pork, carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, plus tomatoes, veggie broth and sour cream. Salt, pepper and hot paprika for seasoning. Stewed for at least an hour and served with fresh bread.

Spicey Stew. Handmade with ground beef and pork, carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, plus tomatoes, veggie broth and sour cream. Salt, pepper and hot paprika for seasoning. Stewed for at least an hour and served with fresh bread.
Yum. Basics are good.

Although I made steaks, rice pilaf and a really nice salad, my daughter brought me a bean burrito and fries from Taco Bell. Those are actually the only two things I will eat from there. I had those and some of the salad. I don't eat steak and was going to make myself some nachos using some slightly expired chips. The taco bell was much better! Heh!

Ground beef and lots of cheese . . . a recipe from a cousin, years ago . . . simple but good.

If you're okay doing it, please share the recipe.

(I'd switch the ground beef for ground pork though, I'm not eating beef right now.)

Last night I had roast chicken and a tomato lettuce salad with ranch dressing.

Chicken with maple mustard sauce, rutabaga and green beans with almonds. Ricotta mouse for dessert.

The chicken with maple mustard is dead easy and one of my faves. Preheat oven to 400. Put a good pound or a little more of chicken in a glass baking dish - can be chicken breast or deboned thigh meat. Mix 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 1/2 cup of Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper then pour it over the chicken. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Enjoy.

Spanish rice with black and pinto beans, tomatoes, onion, peppers, ground beef, brown rice and just enough heat. Also a weird fruit/nut salad. Don't think I'll be making that again.

Fish sandwich w/tartar sauce. Cole slaw, tater tots, and refried beans. School lunch is back in da house!

Chicken breasts covered in a mix of mayo and parmesan then sprinkled with gluten free Italian bread crumbs. Served with rutabaga and green beans almondine.

Spinach-cheese-filled bratwurst, steakhouse fries and green salad with an olive oil/lemon juice/onion dressing.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, molten lava cake.

Breakfast thread? Just think of meals as residing on a continuum.

* Dinner: Seared salmon burgers, hearty cheezy salad, fresh white wine.
* Breakfast: Yogurt, granola, and pills with peanut butter, as usual, sigh.
* Lunch: We're thinking of a taco truck's glory or else weenies at CostCo.
* Supper tonight: Destroy a CostCo roast chicken, cole slaw, and toast.

We have a three-hour drive to shopping today. We'll hit the super-duper Asian market and emerge with amazing produce, fungi, flesh, etc for our upcoming meals. We'll surprise ourselves again. We've not yet figured how to use everything from our last foray there. Fucking mysteries of the Orient...

Chicken breasts with Montreal chicken seasoning, roasted asparagus with lemon and Parmesan, brown rice pilaf with mushrooms and almonds, molasses ginger cookies.

Goan-style Tiger Prawn curry, spiced dhal, coconut rice, fried puri breads, Coringee mango pickle, yogurt, onion, cucumber, & mint Raita, and home-made melon & Bacardi ice cream with blackberries and langues de chat biscuits for dessert; so glad my wife can cook...

Back