What little kindness did you today?

This gent is a hard headed old boy, insisting on using the treadmill. I think he has blood pressure issues and blanks out. I hate to see him get hurt.

I held the door open for a gentleman; and he about tripped and fell over the threshold.
I guess, I'm dangerous.

I helped out with a youth fundraiser this weekend. They scheduled it with great enthusiasm but no idea what they were doing. I wound up helping for the better part two days. Wound up a success though,

A friend challenged me to do the Baden Powell "One good deed a day" thing.

It is often amazingly difficult to find things to do, so for those of you who are looking for some ideas, here's what I'm learning.

1. People who facilitate the safe and smooth passage of others through the traffic have LESS road rage than those who are part of the push and shove brigade. If they don't thank me for letting them in, I say "Pleasure" and it often is. It's not really a good deed, just good manners and good neighbourliness, but it counts on days when I've done nothing else - and those happen, although as I'm getting better at seeing opportunities to help they are become rarer.

2. Facebook often gives me an opportunity to say something really nice to someone. Again, not a good deed in the real sense of the word, but it makes me feel good. These are not random likes/congratulations/whoots, but thought out comments on a person's personality and actions. It helps me look for the best in other people.

3. It is easy to throw money at a problem and consider it a good deed. This is certainly not to be sneezed at for people who have some spare disposable income and it can make life infinitely more comfortable for those who have little or nothing. So, weather related gifts - cheap umbrellas or gloves/scarves and hats bought from the Chinese malls in bulk and stored in the car can make a difference to the homeless or those caught unawares. I also buy biscuits - what Americans call "cookies" in packets together with cheap juice - to hand to homeless people begging in the streets. We get a lot of those South Africa. Once again, I don't like to count these as "good deeds" unless I've done nothing else.

4. Secret services to neighbours and friends. Better if they don't know where it originates, but sometimes it is just not possible to be too secretive. These include popping in to the hospital when a friend is there. Leave a rolled up magazine or a flower in a ketchup jar (or something more glamorous if funds allow) if they are sleeping. Offer to drive a friend to an appointment. Take friends to tea/coffee or host coffee mornings. So many people are desperately lonely.

5. Recycle unwanted gifts/corporate give-aways/decluttering white elephant type stuff into little wrapped gifts for the lonely, unloved, homeless, old, young etc people you encounter daily. Let them pick one from a box. Sometimes they beam as they do this. Warn them beforehand it is a white elephant gift box.

6. Volunteer. All sorts of causes are looking for volunteers. I sometimes write a blog article about a charity because I'd rather do that than sit with old/lonely/handicapped etc people. But the managements are often happy. One year the local florist donated the flowers and I made corsages for the local old age home. Some of the people in another charity I work with took them to the old age home and spent a few minutes with every resident. Everyone was happy with that. People are often just looking for a way to be involved with a good cause.

I love this thread.

Actually it was yesterday, but I expect to do again today.

I hugged and kissed an octogenarian woman. Been widowed for many, many years and is ill now. I kissed her on each cheek and gave her a big, long hug. She said when you live alone and are old, people almost never touch you. You know people can die for lack of human touch. :(

As a very tactile person, I felt so sorry. So go touch someone (appropriately to the relationship and circumstances) today.

This is a very nice thread . . . .:)

The little old man at the gym bent over to tie his shoe with the tread mill running. He went shooting off the back side into a group of ladies standing there talking. Five or six of us nearly joined them as we watched the train wreck happening.

I'm afraid he hurt his hand/arm/shoulder. I took him to the urgent care clinic and then to his house as it was raining a crazy downpour. I'm sure he goes to the gym just to be around people, but he needs care beyond living alone.

Same little old man, at the gym yesterday, full of bruises. The terrible looking kind that blood thinners produce; came over to tell me thank you. He is now in a supervised living situtation and has meals; but for the love of God, he's still driving. And shouldn't be.

I didn't do anything that actually counted yesterday. :( It is a reminder to me that I need to keep interacting with others in ways that are positive to them.

Actually I didn't do it; but I'm reporting that the authorities finally suspended the license of the little old man at the gym. He left a note for me; he is going to have 4 by-pass surgery.
Thank the Lord he is being treated, and that he is not driving.

I really like this thread...an antidote to all of the ingrown nastiness that seems to be everywhere you look.

I really like this thread...an antidote to all of the ingrown nastiness that seems to be everywhere you look.

I was on the shuttle bus back to my car from class when a couple of schoolmarms with a gaggle of very young students in tow asked the bus driver which stop was [where they needed to go]. That shuttle has a stop at either end of the loop, and we were about to go back to the student lot where they must have parked by mistake. The visitor lot is much closer.

I recognized the look on her face when the bus driver said that the bus didn't go there, and asked if they knew their way around campus. They didn't, so I offered to walk with them to get them to where they needed to be on time. I made sure that they knew the name of the lot and showed them the large "you are here" campus maps so they could catch the same shuttle back there. I pointed out landmarks as we walked so they would have breadcrumbs to get back. After getting them there, I made my way back to the shuttle stop to get on my way to work.

There are several drivers on two or three buses who rotate shifts, but the same gal happened to be driving again. She made a big deal about it and has been trying to flirt with me all week since. If I happen to get on the shuttle when she's driving she'll ask me "Have you done your little kindness today?" in a very flirtatious voice and I think of this thread. I've just been too busy to post.

Anyway, people recognize a good deed and appreciate it.

I thank you for your kindness; in what was a stressful situtation for the teachers.
As for the bus driver, you're on your own there. LOL

Last edited:
I thank you for your kindness; in what was a stressful situation for the teachers.
As for the bus driver, your on your own there. LOL

It is nice to be appreciated, but this happily married man only performs that special kind of little kindness on one woman in particular. :devil:

I donated to Planned Parenthood. I'm tired of hearing that planned Parenthood engages in abortions and fetal tissue selling only by those worthless pro-lifers who care less about life. You don't see or hear of pro-lifers pushing for healthcare for the poor here in the US nor do you see or hear of them supporting food, water and medical supplies to nations in need. All pro-lifers care about is telling everyone else what they should do.

I donated to Planned Parenthood. I'm tired of hearing that planned Parenthood engages in abortions and fetal tissue selling only by those worthless pro-lifers who care less about life. You don't see or hear of pro-lifers pushing for healthcare for the poor here in the US nor do you see or hear of them supporting food, water and medical supplies to nations in need. All pro-lifers care about is telling everyone else what they should do.

I can't speak to what planned parenthood does or doesn't do, but my experience talking with "pro life" people about the issues that you raise does not match yours. As a volunteer in different situations, many people that I have spoken with who would probably consider themselves to be pro life strongly support accessible healthcare for the poor. Many of them donate generously to programs that deliver healthcare services both in the US and in impoverished countries. I have also seen first hand that many of them generously open their wallets to support charities that deliver food, water, and medical supplies to countries in need.

I don't know your personal motivation, other than what you have written. It does seem to me that genuine acts of compassion towards human beings in need is in short supply, but lashing out at people for their beliefs doesn't address the issue. There seems to be a stark contrast between giving from the heart and giving for the reasons that you have given for making your donation. If it is nothing more than an opportunity for you to spew vitriolic political rhetoric about people who's views you disagree with, then I personally don't think that you have really demonstrated caring, kindness, or compassion towards those in need. You have simply made a political statement.

If I have misunderstood, and your contribution to PP is an unselfish and non-political act of kindness towards people in need then you deserve recognition and I hope that you continue setting that example.

Last edited:
i helped a kid get started in my profession. he spent the last 2 years working service industry jobs b/c he couldn't find suitable employment related to his major, an undergrad degree from a large, well-respected program in the field.

yesterday, he--and his future boss who used to report to me--both texted me that he accepted their offer of employment.

feeling pretty good about that.

ed

Helping hand

i helped a kid get started in my profession. he spent the last 2 years working service industry jobs b/c he couldn't find suitable employment related to his major, an undergrad degree from a large, well-respected program in the field.

yesterday, he--and his future boss who used to report to me--both texted me that he accepted their offer of employment.

ed

Good for you. The world needs more helping hands. When he comes to thank you; tell him the obligation is to help, as he has been helped.

ed

You should feel good about that :) There seems to be a great divide between experienced workers and people just entering the field. The former often views the latter as competition, while the latter views the former as outdated and inflexible. Not always, but even so everyone needs a support network to reach their potential in their field. It's great that you are in his.

Pplwatching I gave to PP because a lot of states were cutting funding for them, not to mention our federal government.

theoldwidow quoth:
good for you. the world needs more helping hands. when he comes to thank you; tell him the obligation is to help, as he has been helped.
that's my plan!

pplwatching quoth:
you should feel good about that :) there seems to be a great divide between experienced workers and people just entering the field. the former often views the latter as competition, while the latter views the former as outdated and inflexible. not always, but even so everyone needs a support network to reach their potential in their field. it's great that you are in his.
just paying back what i can, and pay forward what i am able. :>

ed

I helped an old lady across the street. Honestly, cross my heart. I got to thinking and laughing about it later. She's younger than I am, and I never would have guessed.

I helped an old lady across the street. Honestly, cross my heart. I got to thinking and laughing about it later. She's younger than I am, and I never would have guessed.

Nice. I literally stood in the wind and rain holding a door open for a mom and her daughter, who was obviously in pain and walking slowly on their way into the Dr's office. It didn't occur to me until after they were in that the door has an automated opener on ether side (you just have to push the handicap button).

Back