What Are You Watching Now? (TV)

Haulover

Literotica Guru
Similar to the "What Are You Listening To Now? 5.0" thread ... but this is mostly about what we're watching on TV or via streaming services.

So - what are you watching, or what have you watched recently, and do you recommend it?

Last edited:
Wimbledon men's final (recorded earlier today).

Next-up - the British Formula 1 grand prix.

Tonight - my recordings of the "Sons Of Liberty" - a dramatization of a period of early American history.

For all you 'Whovians' out there, the new Doctor Who, the 13th, was unveiled at last by the BBC after the Wimbledon Men's Final this afternoon; it's Jodie Whittaker, a female Doctor/Time Lord; she'll make her first appearance as 'The Doctor' in the Dr. Who Christmas Special, when Peter Capaldi bows out.

For all you 'Whovians' out there, the new Doctor Who, the 13th, was unveiled at last by the BBC after the Wimbledon Men's Final this afternoon; it's Jodie Whittaker, a female Doctor/Time Lord; she'll make her first appearance as 'The Doctor' in the Dr. Who Christmas Special, when Peter Capaldi bows out.

I wonder what Lobsang (of the Monks of Time) would make of it. . . .

Around here, the wife has charge of the remote. And it's always;

Criminal Minds
Criminal Minds; Beyond Borders
Law and Order
Law and Order; SVU
Law and Order; Criminal Intent
Law and Order; The Return of Jason

Or something along those lines. :rolleyes:

"Dark Matter" and I certainly recommend it since its producers are of Stargate SG-1 fame: Mallozzi and Mullie

"Suits" on USA--even Doug Liman from the Bourne series is a major mover and shaker there: he helps keep it edgy.

Regarding Who's "female" doctor...don't know if it's a ratings gimmick or what, but several Whovian boards were buzzing with the possibility of a female doctor but the major concern wasn't changing the doctor to female but doing a female Doctor and making her lesbian, to where they'd have several obvious lesbian liasons. Don't know if it's true but I know this: Who's had very dynamic female companions like Sarah Jane, Rose, Donna, Amy Pond and Clara. I even loved Bill because at least her dates were never overdone and sometimes a comedic focus (like the Pope walking in when she spoke with a date); it wasn't necessary for Who to have a female Doctor because of how well it generally used the companions. What's for sure is that most Whovians agree it was the writing that's gone downhill since Davies' departure and while having Missy as a Timelord was novel, much better foils to keep the Doctor in check were ones like River Song, Donna and Clara. I'll keep an open mind, but if Who goes full lesbo...forget it.

My TV hasn't been turned on since early February, when I watched the Superbowl. It will come on again when football season starts. Hopefully I'll have the data buffers fixed by then, but we watch it so little that its main value is to keep my oldest and youngest entertained while the youngest is here.

Nothing at the moment. Last was CNN news; next is Skate America Figure Skating.

What a roller-coaster that was. First, I thought I'd somehow missed the announcement of the next Doctor Who. Then I wondered why Wimbledon was being held so late in the year. Then, I thought somehow the BBC was going to have 'unpopular' female doctor regenerate into herself in an epic move to piss off the trolls. Then I realized that this whole thread had just been necroed from five years ago. Then, a quick Google and it turned out I had in fact missed the announcement of the Fourteenth Doctor (It's Ncuti Gatwa - current status of trolls easy to deduce).

What am I watching? Clearly not Doctor Who at the moment.

Yugioh King Of Games (Aka toei, Aka season zero.)
lXVRQn.gif
I always loved Yugioh for its characters but found the card game element to be rather boring. Yugioh Season Zero was the first yugioh series ever animated and doesn't feature the duel monsters card game until towards the end of its first and only season. I prefer season zero because unlike Yugioh Duel Monsters, the show very prominently featured horror elements. Yami Yugi in this series is a far cry from what he would become in later installations, behaving like a playful trickster spirit.
5ba13affb2d0717ee385c289ef4684fe.gif
He plays games and basically gambles people's souls. I love it. I love watching Yami do his magical girl sequence and mess with people to protect Yugi.
maxresdefault (9).jpg
Also the Kaibas have green hair and I don't think it was an animation error.

It's just great and I'm having a blast watching it.

What am I watching? Clearly not Doctor Who at the moment.
Breaking news - David Tennant is filming several specials as the 14th Doctor (for the sixtieth anniversary, next year), before the new guy takes over as the 15th Doctor. Apparently the Jodi Whittaker transition episode is running now. I need to find out for sure!

I'll be watching Dr Who tonight, but annoyed that I was trying to avoid spoilers and got the big one from the Guardian Politics Live blog, of all places.

Just finished series 1 of Ted Lasso, which is lots of fun (American football coach is recruited to manage an English top soccer team), nice to see that earnest positivity of Americans meeting total culture clash, but without just taking the piss out of the Yanks.

Slow Horses was amazing - Gary Oldman having a great time, Kristin Scott Thomas beautiful and talented as ever.

Otherwise watching Bake Off (aka the Great British Baking Show), Taskmaster, and sometimes Have I Got News For You, which is suffering from our news being beyond satire.

I've been watching "Reacher" on Amazon Prime. The series is about 20 times better than the Tom Cruise movies!

It's based on one of Lee Child's Reacher books, which I read about 10 years ago - and if my fading memory serves - the series is very close to the book.

Does anyone know if there will be another "Killing Eve" series?

Series 1 was excellent. 2 and 3 were a bit "off" as far as I was concerned, but still worth watching. Series 4 was a big improvement.

We really enjoyed the Reacher series on Amazong and hope it continues.

Lately the tv has been tuned into Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Along with the Great British Baking Championship for levity.

On our TV? Not much. We catch the local broadcast news sometimes and more often than not, PBS Newshour. All or most off-the-air. We'll put on the nature shows sometimes to entertain the dog. Rest of the time we do Roku and stream Pandora music; they beefed-up their classical and relaxation content early this year, thank goodness, 'cause I had set them to non-renew and I was finally starting to transfer the CD collection to a computer dedicated to media. My wife is not tech-literate and the old physical formats work much better for her, but those days are drawing to a close.

Streaming vid content holds zero appeal for us. We haven't been into serial drama since The West Wing and Madam Secretary, and were never movie goers. My wife hates the police dramas which totally dominate broadcast channels these days. We're especially annoyed now that confections like the Charles Shultz animated classics are now cordoned-off into paid streaming. Even PBS can't be streamed without paying for it. F*ck that. We're busy people with creative pursuits, more likely to entertain rather than be entertained. We've moved on.

I rarely watch TV, but last night watched-well rewatched-the Werewolf by Night one shot special on Disney. Really well done, the first thing they haven't screwed up in forever.

...I was finally starting to transfer the CD collection to a computer dedicated to media.

I was lucky, in that I started ripping my CDs to digital formats almost as soon as MP3s were easily playable.

I currently have around 5,500 CDs ripped, and recently donated the physical CD collection to the owners of a music store that burned down.

...My wife hates the police dramas which totally dominate broadcast channels these days.

I agree. - it seems that almost every new TV series is a police, lawyers, or hospital drama We avoid almost all of those - which doesn't leave much.

Back