trump, desantis and ramaswamy have all called to shut down the Dept. of Education

I am gonna take a different track here...maybe it should be scrapped? Why are we fighting the battles we are? My view is because society is producing stupid people. If this isn't true...how can the Republicans have the control they do without stupid people supporting them? Obviously...the education system is broken. Start at the top. I think this is true for most of the Federal Systems.

Let states teach their kids how they see fit. It will only result in greater disparity among states. Sooner or later...states doing better will ask why the fuck are we supporting these other states? People wanting better will move to states providing better.
If you understood how the doe works you'd understand that they account for about 12% of so of funds nationwide for schooling.

Local and state school boards run the show period.

People who don't understand how something doesn't work should act like they have good suggestions.

Yep, I figured you'd miss my point.

The goal is to educate everyone, not just a select group of people. Same with healthcare.

Our country needs systems that are provided for all, not just where the money is.
If we were to reallocate states taxes properly it would help some. It's actually a vicous circle when you break it all down.

Private industry cannot be trusted to educate children. If there is no profit, there is no motivation for needed resources.

It's the same reason that private Industry cannot be trusted with healthcare.
Isn’t it the opposite reason? Seems like there’s been plenty of profit…..

Isn’t it the opposite reason? Seems like there’s been plenty of profit…..
Plenty of profit in areas that have money.. The for profit industries go where the money is. Impoverished people suffer.

Our country needs to educate all people. Those who underperform need more and better resources.

If we were to reallocate states taxes properly it would help some. It's actually a vicous circle when you break it all down.
Sending money where it's needed rather than to places that already do well is key.

For profit industries only go where there's money already. Poor people get screwed.

If you understood how the doe works you'd understand that they account for about 12% of so of funds nationwide for schooling.

Local and state school boards run the show period.

People who don't understand how something doesn't work should act like they have good suggestions.
Maybe you should actually look at the link I provided? It provided actial 2022 numbers. Or not.

Plenty of profit in areas that have money.. The for profit industries go where the money is. Impoverished people suffer.

Our country needs to educate all people. Those who underperform need more and better resources.
Gotcha

I’d make the clarification of “educate and train.” We’ve blurred the lines between education and training and the goals and applications of each. Everyone needs some education, some need more training.

Sending money where it's needed rather than to places that already do well is key.

For profit industries only go where there's money already. Poor people get screwed.

Well not exactly. Taxes tend to stay in house. So your town keeps their taxes for schools. So if you have one that's more wealthy their system will be better than the one with lower taxes typically.

Which is where the feds have stepped in.

But that's only part of the issue. You have jobs, crime, drugs, broken homes to also contend with as well.

The issue isn't just money. It's deeper than that. Nixing the doe won't solve the issue. That's misdirecting blame

Gotcha

I’d make the clarification of “educate and train.” We’ve blurred the lines between education and training and the goals and applications of each. Everyone needs some education, some need more training.
I'd say higher education and training should come from the companies more that benefit from it.

But since we're discussing the dept of education, I thought education was the obvious topic

Well not exactly. Taxes tend to stay in house. So your town keeps their taxes for schools. So if you have one that's more wealthy their system will be better than the one with lower taxes typically.
Yes, that's kind of my point. We need a more equitable system so money and resources go where it's needed.

Which is where the feds have stepped in.

But that's only part of the issue. You have jobs, crime, drugs, broken homes to also contend with as well.
We're discussing the department of education. you can certainly work on external forces, but that's typically handled outside of education

The issue isn't just money. It's deeper than that. Nixing the doe won't solve the issue. That's misdirecting blame
I don't support removing the department of education. I support changing the funding mechanisms of schools.

Here’s what $270 billion this fiscal year buys us…

Overview and Mission Statement​

ED's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.

ED was created in 1980 by combining offices from several federal agencies. ED's 4,400 employees and $68 billion budget are dedicated to:

• Establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds.
  • Collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research.
  • Focusing national attention on key educational issues.
  • Prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.

Ever go into one of these underperforming schools? I have. My first wife taught in three of them...in 3 different states. Unlimited money can't fix the problem.

There are 2 branches in any school district. The teachers...and the Administrators. They are not working toward common goals. Bigger is not better. But hey...what do teachers know?

Here’s what $270 billion this fiscal year buys us…

Overview and Mission Statement​

ED's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.

ED was created in 1980 by combining offices from several federal agencies. ED's 4,400 employees and $68 billion budget are dedicated to:

• Establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds.
  • Collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research.
  • Focusing national attention on key educational issues.
  • Prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.
We see the results in the national education stats. Cancel it all and let the states manage their schools.

I'd say higher education and training should come from the companies more that benefit from it.

But since we're discussing the dept of education, I thought education was the obvious topic
The problem is that many people want training when they say education, and we need a culture than understands the difference, values each appropriately and delivers both equitably.

We see the results in the national education stats. Cancel it all and let the states manage their schools.
Yes, but what if the states foolishly used that money to pay teachers? And how could schools function without an army of DC-based bureaucrats to cook up more policies? 😀

Yes, that's kind of my point. We need a more equitable system so money and resources go where it's needed.
Right

We're discussing the department of education. you can certainly work on external forces, but that's typically handled outside of education

Its actually not since they all affext each other.
parents fighting affects kids.
Kids selling drugs affects them
poor job market affects taxes and stability

I don't support removing the department of education. I support changing the funding mechanisms of schools.

I know

The Constitution gives the feds no role in education, and the 10th amendment...

...apparently, doesn't mean a thing.

Want the feds to have a say in education? Amend the Constitution

The problem is that many people want training when they say education, and we need a culture than understands the difference, values each appropriately and delivers both equitably.
We don't. The department of education is focused on education. Industries are focused on training.

No problem.

The Constitution gives the feds no role in education, and the 10th amendment...

...apparently, doesn't mean a thing.

Want the feds to have a say in education? Amend the Constitution
There are lots of things that the federal government does that is not specifically called out in the Constitution. That doesn't mean you need to amend the Constitution...but rather you need to understand how the government works and specifically why it does things not specifically stated in the document.

Its actually not since they all affext each other.
parents fighting affects kids.
Kids selling drugs affects them
poor job market affects taxes and stability
Those things can impact an education, though are not really the department's responsibility.

Those things can impact an education, though are not really the department's responsibility.

Sure when you want to narrow it down like that. Your opinion won't solve the issue which is my point. The issue is larger than redirecting funds

Sure when you want to narrow it down like that. Your opinion won't solve the issue which is my point. The issue is larger than redirecting funds
Of course there are multiple issues involved.

I've never said I would solve everything with my opinion. If that's your point, I could truly give a shit 👍 You're basically being argumentative for no reason.

There are lots of things that the federal government does that is not specifically called out in the Constitution. That doesn't mean you need to amend the Constitution...but rather you need to understand how the government works and specifically why it does things not specifically stated in
I understand that you, and others, choose to ignore the 10th Amendment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831-162815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831-162815_Chrome.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 2
Back