The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Earth Day Contest Support Thread

Just submitted mine, curious to see how it does. Had fun writing it, but its a little sugary at the end for my taste.

I used to help a friend of mine while she was in grad school and wrote papers, and she's dyslexic. She did the best she could, but they still needed a lot of work. So "editor-ready" can mean different things for different people.

True, although it's helpful if the writer tells the editor if they have issues like dyslexia that make writing harder. If it's a case like one writer where he said he was sick or drunk when he wrote his story, didn't remember what the story was about, and hadn't gone back to read his first draft, I'm not going to waste my time trying to edit the story.

True, although it's helpful if the writer tells the editor if they have issues like dyslexia that make writing harder. If it's a case like one writer where he said he was sick or drunk when he wrote his story, didn't remember what the story was about, and hadn't gone back to read his first draft, I'm not going to waste my time trying to edit the story.

Dark Genesis was all but co-written by Jack Daniels.:D

Last edited:

Well, yes, something like dyslexia or another fundamental problem should be discussed first. I'm just saying that she did what she could, ran spell check and everything, but it was still a mess, but I still helped.

If someone is just being lazy, that's different.

Dark Genesis was all but co-written by Jack Daniels.:D

I wouldn't have known it. It was readable and interesting, although as you know, it wasn't my preferred category. :)

Well, yes, something like dyslexia or another fundamental problem should be discussed first. I'm just saying that she did what she could, ran spell check and everything, but it was still a mess, but I still helped.

If someone is just being lazy, that's different.

It's the laziness that I'm not crazy about. I mean, really, the author wanted his story edited, didn't want to take the time to remember what his story is about, can't make the effort to capitalize his sentences and make his story readable, and yet wants an editor to make sense of it. It's a PT Barnum moment.

It's the laziness that I'm not crazy about. I mean, really, the author wanted his story edited, didn't want to take the time to remember what his story is about, can't make the effort to capitalize his sentences and make his story readable, and yet wants an editor to make sense of it. It's a PT Barnum moment.

Oh I understand. I've told a couple of people that I couldn't/wouldn't edit because of basic mistakes, and if they'd fix them, I'd edit. Although I think worse is when you edit for someone and they continue to make the same mistakes, figuring you'll fix them. I won't, not more than once.

Just submitted. Sci-fi category but all things considered it seems more romance. Teaser-

There was dead silence as the announcement came over the intercom.

“This is your Captain speaking. The official remembrance of Earth Day begins now. The next twelve hours should be spent in reflection of what has been lost.”

We had all been waiting for it. Every year we gathered in small groups throughout the ship to listen, to mourn. If you chose, you could look up the history of Earth Day in the ships database, it was once a very different holiday. Once it was a celebration of nature, a celebration of people of all nations coming together with the goal of preserving our original home, the planet Earth.

Wasn't today supposed to be the start of the contest? I submitted mine yesterday, but it wasn't approved yet.

Wasn't today supposed to be the start of the contest? I submitted mine yesterday, but it wasn't approved yet.

I think today is the official submission day, with the first posting day being tomorrow.

Not up yet. :(

Nope

Personally I'd rather see it go until Monday at this point. A late start on a Saturday isn't good because people are usually up and about.

And Sunday has pretty much stunk for me the couple of times I had one post.

Posting should be Monday

I went back and checked the Valentine's Day contest. Based on my own entry, VD stories submitted just before or on the first day mentioned in the Contest announcement (the 20nd of January) posted two days later on the 22nd. So it seems reasonable to infer that stories submitted by today will all post on Monday morning. Just as you wanted LC :)

I went back and checked the Valentine's Day contest. Based on my own entry, VD stories submitted just before or on the first day mentioned in the Contest announcement (the 20nd of January) posted two days later on the 22nd. So it seems reasonable to infer that stories submitted by today will all post on Monday morning. Just as you wanted LC :)

For some reason I really thought it would be today,

But this is the first time I posted one right away so I will defer to your experience.

Nope.

I click on the V-day url and get the V-day link.

Still why doesn't it just say Earth Day on the home page?

You have to go up and change the word valentines to earth in the address. The page wasn't up this morning, but it is now.

Back