The lit old timers thread

All in the perspective
shovelling dirt in the rain
to clear drainage isn't insane
doing so during a tornado
perhaps
I mean, I stood outside naked during a hurricane while an F2 tornado went by about 100 yards away from me. I knew it was coming, and was in a frame house. I knew if it hit the house I'd die in rubble, I figured instead if I was outside naked someone would get a surprise when my body dropped.
A few weeks later I had a first date with a friend of mine & @ImiGirrst 's and we sat outside naked & made out while the eye of a hurricane passed over us.

I mean, I stood outside naked during a hurricane while an F2 tornado went by about 100 yards away from me. I knew it was coming, and was in a frame house. I knew if it hit the house I'd die in rubble, I figured instead if I was outside naked someone would get a surprise when my body dropped.
A few weeks later I had a first date with a friend of mine & @ImiGirrst 's and we sat outside naked & made out while the eye of a hurricane passed over us.
I wonder if it's the same with tornado winds.......

When you get caught in a flash flood, your body will almost always be naked when found, no matter what you were wearing.

I wonder if it's the same with tornado winds.......

When you get caught in a flash flood, your body will almost always be naked when found, no matter what you were wearing.
Tornadoes can and do rip clothes off people. I didn't want to take any chances. If I'm going out in a tornado, I'm going the same way I came in. Wet, naked, and screaming.

I knew she got stuck there during the hurricane but I didn't know that detail!

Tornadoes can and do rip clothes off people. I didn't want to take any chances. If I'm going out in a tornado, I'm going the same way I came in. Wet, naked, and screaming.
Tornadoes scare hell out of me. I'd rather live with the earthquakes and close volcanoes.

This, I would never admit.
What happens on Lit
stays on Lit
I am
not surprised
by this

I don't want to be anywhere near a tornado unless I'm below ground. I'm afraid of the debris field orbiting it at 1 or 2 hundred miles per hour. I am afraid of being maimed.

It was maybe 20 years ago, I was traveling setting up a new office building. There was me, a computer guy and a facilities guy traveling there to guide a bunch of work teams. A hurricane was predicted so we got everyone out of the building and shut it down. Afterwards, as the storm was picking up, we went to an upscale Tex-Mex restaurant. We ordered "Hurricane" drinks to honor the moment and had two rounds before they decided to shut the restaurant down around 10pm. By then, the rain was coming in sideways in a hurry. My hotel was safe and solid. Afterwards, trees were strewn over every road in town. I wasn't naked shouting at the sky, but nevertheless, it was an interesting experience for a New Englander.

I stayed, and a year later we had a tornado. There was a stately plantation home that once owned the entire area. The land had been sold to make room for new office buildings. When the tornado hit, it ripped across the entire roof and left a 2 foot wide trail where it tore up the shingles and even the underlying plywood leaving ragged edges. A month later the whole house was bulldozed. I can't imagine the power rip that trail.

I don't want to be anywhere near a tornado unless I'm below ground. I'm afraid of the debris field orbiting it at 1 or 2 hundred miles per hour. I am afraid of being maimed.
When I lived at my last house, an airborne asphalt shingle tab hit my faux log shed (had cedar siding that looked like logs) and embedded itself an inch and a half into the wood. (Yes, it was with the grain so it was optimum) That shingle could have done real damage on a human being. And that was just a bit of wind off the mountain.

I mean, that beats buried alive in rubble and maimed

Back