The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Thoughts going out to everyone who has shared their stories here :rose:

I have just spent the last hour on the phone, talking to my former colleague who is in the final stages of his cancer. He has been told that there are no more treatment options for him, so now it is just a matter of time.

He's in the process of getting his financials in order for his wife and family so we discussed that for a while. Then we moved on to chemo, the pros and cons of knowing roughly when you will die, the emotional impact of cancer, family, business...a whole range of subjects.

We were both aware that it was probably the last time we will get to chat. I've known the guy for twenty years, and although we only worked together for a couple of years when I first joined this industry, we have kept in touch with each other ever since.

I respect his calm bravery, his acceptance without rancour of an hereditary mishap which meant his cancer had spread to his bones before it made itself known. He has been a good friend to me, and I will miss him very much.

FYC

I have just spent the last hour on the phone, talking to my former colleague who is in the final stages of his cancer. He has been told that there are no more treatment options for him, so now it is just a matter of time.

He's in the process of getting his financials in order for his wife and family so we discussed that for a while. Then we moved on to chemo, the pros and cons of knowing roughly when you will die, the emotional impact of cancer, family, business...a whole range of subjects.

We were both aware that it was probably the last time we will get to chat. I've known the guy for twenty years, and although we only worked together for a couple of years when I first joined this industry, we have kept in touch with each other ever since.

I respect his calm bravery, his acceptance without rancour of an hereditary mishap which meant his cancer had spread to his bones before it made itself known. He has been a good friend to me, and I will miss him very much.

FYC

I have found that it is incredibly hard to walk out of room after saying goodbye to someone who is soon to pass away. Feels like I am abandoning them...just tears me up! FYC!

(((SASSY))) :kiss:

I lost my dad to COPD. Sat next to his bed right to the end. I cried watching the start of the Superbowl this year because we would have been on the phone on and off during the game bitching about stupid plays and all. And yet my wife asks why I don't play a square anymore.

People don't always understand the impact our losses have on us. I remember that after my Dad dies when I was 14, I gave up fishing (which we always did together) and hunting just a few years later. It wasn't the same without him there!!! Hang in there!

Little things now. Movies (The Fault In Our Stars) are hard now. Music is hard now. My Dad played golf. His golf cart sits in the barn. I live in his house,sleep in his bed.
My son also quit playing football for a while, but we reminded him how much my Dad liked watching him play and came to all his games. He wouldn't want him to stop.

Years of helping take care of my parents has made me want to go into the medical field though abd as soon as I can get my injuries healed enough, I'm going to think about going back to school.

FYC
I hope you have gotten a chance to tell him all this.
*hugs*:heart:

Little things now. Movies (The Fault In Our Stars) are hard now. Music is hard now. My Dad played golf. His golf cart sits in the barn. I live in his house,sleep in his bed.
My son also quit playing football for a while, but we reminded him how much my Dad liked watching him play and came to all his games. He wouldn't want him to stop.

Years of helping take care of my parents has made me want to go into the medical field though abd as soon as I can get my injuries healed enough, I'm going to think about going back to school.

Great idea Sassy!!!! :D

FYC

Lally, you are such a fine friend. I'm sure this loss will hurt deeply and then, like all of them, slowly blend into the foundation that makes up your core strength. :rose:

As long as I don't have to give shots, I'll be fine. :p

I had to learn to give my Dad shots towards the end, and I hated it.

It wouldn't surprise me if, once you got to that point, that you'd find a new kind of meaning from doing this thing that once was a distasteful chore.

" I'm sure this loss will hurt deeply and then, like all of them, slowly blend into the foundation that makes up your core strength. :rose:

Hello All,
I just have to say this, so stick with me here.

I am so glad I found this thread. Some of what each of you has expressed has been in my head or in my heart for so long, I didn't think anyone really understood the loss part of the equation. My family and friends have been supportive of each other, but even siblings don't seem to share the deep level of loss.

I don't know if this can be or will be understood, in the manner in which it is meant, but I love each of you for what you have shared, for letting me feel others are, as was said earlier, "in the same boat," and have similar feelings. The person with the disease is "in the boat," and whether or not it is realized, there is a second boat floating right next to them with everyone who loves them in it. Wishing, hoping, praying, and doing everything in their power to ensure a safe passage!

To those of you who are fighting the battle directly, I hope you get an idea of how your fight and your life is or will affect those around you, those who love and care for you. The cancer has a direct effect on the person who fights it, but it's arm is long and reaches and wraps around those who love you also.

Be well and thank you again. I wish a safe passage for each of you in your journey. It is a journey best shared if at all possible.:rose:

Apple
FYC!

Hello All,

I am so glad I found this thread. Some of what each of you has expressed has been in my head or in my heart for so long, I didn't think anyone really understood the loss part of the equation. My family and friends have been supportive of each other, but even siblings don't seem to share the deep level of loss.

I don't know if this can be or will be understood, in the manner in which it is meant, but I love each of you for what you have shared, for letting me feel others are, as was said earlier, "in the same boat," and have similar feelings. The person with the disease is "in the boat," and whether or not it is realized, there is a second boat floating right next to them with everyone who loves them in it. Wishing, hoping, praying, and doing everything in their power to ensure a safe passage!

To those of you who are fighting the battle directly, I hope you get an idea of how your fight and your life is or will affect those around you, those who love and care for you. The cancer has a direct effect on the person who fights it, but it's arm is long and reaches and wraps around those who love you also.

Be well and thank you again. I wish a safe passage for each of you in your journey. It is a journey best shared if at all possible.:rose:

Apple
FYC!

I love this thread too...tear up each time I get here. It is honor to be among survivors and caretakers and family. You are so right that there are 2 boats. I fought cancer and so far have been lucky and cancer free. I was positive and upbeat and determined...but for my wife, girls and the rest of the family it was a scarier journey without the cheerleaders that I had.

PS: Fuck You Cancer!!!

I thought I'd share a little light this morning. I spoke with my brother yesterday. He is halfway through his radiation treatments for prostate CA and his doctor is very pleased with the results so far. We talked for a while, and he sounded good.

So FUCK YOU CANCER, you can't have this one!

I thought I'd share a little light this morning. I spoke with my brother yesterday. He is halfway through his radiation treatments for prostate CA and his doctor is very pleased with the results so far. We talked for a while, and he sounded good.

So FUCK YOU CANCER, you can't have this one!

That is great news!!!!! Fuck You Cancer!!!

Hello All,

Apple
FYC!

Thank you for these precious thoughts. One of the hardest duties I had when I was in treatment was to check in with each of my family members every once in a while to see how they were doing with the stress of my disease. I knew it would be a tough conversation, but each time it got a little easier for me to ask and for them to come clean about their worries. The most common: "I wish I could do more." My answer was always, "You already are." I have an incredibly supportive family, here and back east, and I did what I could to let them know that I knew that.

Thanks to you all.

Meetings like that rarely yield good news. Two tumors have invaded her liver.

Outta treatment options.

Last edited:
Back