The Crossover (closed for such_a_bad_man)

Vixen chuckled at Jack's comment about name, it was rather a coincidence. She thought back to that precious failed visit. It hadnt gone down well with the principal, but in the end Hector Smit wouldn't deny his student such a good opportunity.

"His homeroom teacher is Mark Weber," Vixen said, "He should be able to direct you to any other teachers necessary. Now, did we need a front for this scholarship? Attribute it to a subject? Or will it just be general?"

Jack nodded and made a note of all these new names for later. "I'm glad you've accepted my help in this. This is why I do what I do. I just hope I can keep the cameras out of that place for once." he added ruefully as he sat back and sipped his coffee. "Do you mind me asking how you know this kid? Forgive me, but I have a hard time picturing you getting close to people..." Jack bit his lip. "Sorry, that sounded cold. I didn't mean anything by that." He added, trying to do damage control right away.

Vixen was trying to find a way to lie about how she knew Jack Abraham when Jack mentioned her not getting close to people. It was true, but it still stung.

"Oh, you know, you hear about things in that part of town," She says evasively. "But look, if you call the principal and give as little notice as possible there will be no time to get many cameras there. If any. I am sure he would be willing to squeeze you into the day if he knew the reason for it."

For the first time, Jack could smell the bullshit. Vixen was a lot of things, but Jack was smart enough to know when he was being lied to. Still, he could feel this was not the time to call her on it. She was coming to him for help; she was already allowing herself to be vulnerable around him. He wouldn't abuse that trust. Maybe she would tell him the real story in time, but now was not the time to press for more.

"I think you're right. I think I'll call the school and set up my visit to be first thing in the morning. If I remember my high school days, that's when students are usually in home room. Jack said, finishing his coffee and setting the cup down. Turning to her again, he watched her face in profile. Replaying the last few moments, he remembers a slight waver in her behavior towards him. Could she finally see him as more than Jack or the Captain now? He hoped so; it would be nice to be on better terms with a woman like Vixen.

No, that's not right. Vixen is a persona. Jack wanted to know the woman that wore that persona. Someone that didn't have his resources, fighting crime with nothing but the abilities she was lucky enough to have, showed him a moral center and a attitude that he'd like to get to know, if she'd let him.

"I'm glad that you thought to come to me at least to be a part of your original plan. I'm glad that you trust me that much."

There was a look in Jack's eyes then. One that told Vixen that he wasn't entirely sold on what she'd said. But he seemed to brush it off. Instead, he agreed to call the school first thing in the morning and then thanked her for trusting him.

Jack's genuine gratefulness and interest in her made Vixen's stomach twist. This wasn't supposed to be happening. They were supposed to be working together. Professionals. The same relationship she had with the teachers at school. But... she could feel something more developing. A partnership. one that could leave her vulnerable. Could leave the people she cared about, her students, vulnerable.

"No, thank you," Vixen said, pushing aside her concern and turning to him. She ignored the fact that she could now see how handsome the cut of his jaw was, how warm his eyes were. "You will be helping this young man- even his family- more than you could ever know. I just hope we can help him in time," she said. She put her own cup down and stood up.

"I should be going, I'll see you tomorrow," she said to Jack, trying to sound far more casual than she felt. For the first time since agreeing to work with Jack, she was concerned about her investment in it all. She needed some space. She could probably also do with a good night of sleep.

Jack watched Vixen get up and walk away. Her body language told him more than her words; she had to get away from him. He could tell that she was probably feeling it, too, and wasn't comfortable being so vulnerable around him. He hoped that might change in time, but that wasn't up to him to fix. He got up and set about getting things arranged for the young man Vixen wanted to help and his family with one of his charitable trusts. His lawyer was curious about the reason for pushing this so fast, but a few choice words from Jack got the ball rolling. By the end of business today, he'd have all the necessary documents.

================================================================

Jack was up early the next morning and calling the school. He hoped that they didn't mind a quickly planned visit like this, but he figured that the shorter the time table, the less chance the press had to catch wind of this and ruin his visit again. He heard the familiar voice of Hector Smith pick up and immediately, Jack was effusive in his regret for how the last visit went. The experienced principal could hear the contrition and he seemed to understand why Jack left so fast during his last visit. Hearing why Jack was coming sealed the deal.

A short while later, Jack was heading to Alfred Kennedy High school. As he got closer, he realized his aerodynamically designed zero-emission car which ran on Infinium stood out a bit. It seemed the wealth and prosperity that his technology was bringing to town hadn't reached this corner of the city yet. Jack was already thinking of new outreach programs he could start as he parked at the school and headed inside to the office.

Jack shook hands with Principal Smith and Mr. Weber who had been called to the office to get the situation explained to him. When he heard that Jack Abraham had been added to one of my programs, he was overjoyed. His situation was clearly well known to all his teachers and Mark was no exception. Once the situation was disclosed, the call went out over the school's PA system.

"Jack Abraham to the principal's office, please. Jack Abraham to the principal's office.

Vixen's mind was a tempest of thoughts and emotions as she made her way back home that night. She had secured some care and funds for Jack Abraham, that was one victory. Another victory was that her partnership with Infinium was working. He wasn't the smug bastard she had assumed him to be. In fact, she had actually come to enjoy working with him. She had come to enjoy seeing his smile and his endearing awkwardness. And that, she thought, may be the first true defeat in this new stage of her life. She couldn't afford to form a connection for him. She couldn't risk letting her guard down.

When she got home, Vixen stripped off her outfit and jumped into the shower. She turned the water up as hot as she could handle as she let it run over the curves of her powerful body. She let it wash away her worries.
~*~
The following morning Scarlett was up bright and early, yet she was still late for work. The knowledge that Jack would be coming to her workplace made her stomach churn with nerves, and she found she went through four outfits before settling on one.

When Scarlett finally stumbled into the morning staff meeting, her long red hair was twirled at the back of her head in an artfully messy updo. Her simple white blouse fit her frame perfectly, and was tucked neatly into her high waisted, grey marle pencil skirl. Her heels were respectable, but they gave her that extra edge.
The meeting went long and she lost out her lesson prep time before home room. She had just finished the roll call the bell went and she heard an announcement on the P.A.
"Jack Abraham to the principal's office, please. Jack Abraham to the principal's office."
Jack mush be here!

"Want me to take the roll miss?" One of her students asked. She smiled gratefully at the young man.
"No thank you Luke. I have to go to the office anyway," Scarlett said, pushing her black rimmed glasses up on the bridge of her nose just a bit as she gathered her things. Really she had to be getting to year eleven English, but she knew the class were matter enough to handle themselves until she got there.

Scarlett made her way to the office, running into Jack Abraham as she did. He seemed really low, his eyes thick with purple puffy bags. He barely even said more than hello to her. She watched as he made his way to the principal's office, breaking away from him to drop off the roll and tarry by the photocopier.

Jack heard someone come into the office and got up from his seat in the principal's office. The door opened and his assistant let a boy into the room. Immediately, he saw all the tell-tale signs of withdrawal that the researchers told him about when it came to the serum: sagging musculature, pallid skin, insomnia. it was all there; he also could see why Vixen was so interested in helping this young man.

As the door was open, he happened to see someone else entering the office. For a moment, he swore he saw Vixen standing in the room beyond the door, but when Jack shifted out of the way, he saw only a woman that must have been a teacher. He shook his head and turned back into the office, moving to sit on the couch beside the young man.

Hector sat at his desk and faced the pair of them, and introduced Jack Dunbar to Jack Abraham... or at least he started to.

"Come on, teach, everybody knows the Captain!" Abraham said, sounding as excited as his clearly exhausted body could manage.

Dunbar smiled. At least he knew he still had fans in the city after the last few days and weeks of this case. "I prefer to go by Jack when I'm out of the suit... just like you do, I imagine."

The young man smiled and nodded. "Yeah... so what you doin' down here, Cap? Need a sidekick or somethin'?" He asked, still managing to crack wise.

"Not exactly. The last time I was here, I feel like the folks that follow me everywhere ruined what should have been a cool day. I wanted to make it up to the school in my own way for bringing the whole circus that is my life to your doorstep. Now..." He reached for a stack of envelopes he had laid out on the table. "There are scholarships for people with the mental gifts or for the physical gifts, but not enough for people that know how to work. That put the time in... That's what I was looking for when I took another look. After some of my own research at this school, I'm happy to report that my Community Excellence Award this year has been awarded to you and your family."

He paused, letting it sink in a moment before handing the envelopes over. "I think that a young man with your work ethic can become a leader if given a little bit of help so there is a scholarship contract as well as a stipend to your family to congratulate them on raising such a fine young man. There is also a fund to help you get set up at whatever school you choose, available after you enroll."

The young man was already opening envelopes. He was beside himself with excitement and his eyes grew wide when he saw the check made out to his parents from the Community Excellence Award board. "This... this is..."

"I know, son, I know... I've heard how tough this year has been for you and your family, so we wanted to make things a bit easier for them since you'll be leaving for school. Now, you still gotta get in, but I figure that you have the motivation and the breathing room you need to be the quality student that your teachers know you can be."

He wasn't expecting it, but the big kid jumped into his arms, hugging him and cheering to himself, shouting "Yes!" over and over. Jack didn't even get the chance to explain more. The young man was already out of his seat, throwing the door open to go celebrate.

He stopped as he opened the door and saw Ms. Jones. "Ms. Jones! Ms. Jones! I'mma go to college! The Cap is sending me to college!!" He said, running over and giving her a bear hug.

Scarlett did everything she could to delay leaving the office after Jack Abraham went in there. She handed over the role, photocopied a few things she didn't need, requested the admin officer send her some copies of permission notes for an excursion...

And then the wait was over. The door to the Principal's office flew open and Jack Abraham bounded out. Scarlett barely had time to see Dunbar over his shoulder before the student stepped between them and gave her a concerningly strong bear hug. When he pulled back his face was flushed with excitement, a few torn open envelopes clutched in his hand. She did her best to look surprised.

"Jack? What's all this?" She asked with a broad smile he held out the envelope for her. Scarlett read over the letters and her heart fluttered in her chest. It wasn't just the scholarship, it was money for Jack's family to keep them afloat. It took a great deal of restraint foe her not to go and hug Dunbar herself.

"This... This is incredible Jack! Everything you've been working so hard for! This will make things so much easier for you!" She said enthusiastically, handing the paperwork back.

"I know! Mom is gonna be so happy! Oh my god! I gotta call mom!" He said, taking his phone our of his pocket and unlocking it excitedly as he made for the door. Then he stopped and turned back to face the Principal's office. "Cap? You rock! Like, seriously. You're a freaking hero! Thank you!" He called out over the low buzz of the office before dashing out, presumably to call his mother.

Scarlett watched Abraham with a faint smile on her lips and her eyes stinging with tears. His reaction said it all, the way that weight on his shoulders just melted off...

"So, that was one excited student," Principal Smith said, making Scarlett jump as he stood in beside her.

"It's good, he needed a break," Scarlett agreed.

"Scarlett, let me introduce you to Jack Dunbar," Hector said, Scarlett turned to see Jack right beside her too. She stepped forward, offering Jack her hand.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Dunbar, thank you for your generous grant," she said, making sure not to squeeze his hand too hard. She also had to work to keep her emotions neutral. Gratefulness would be expected, but not the genuine affection she was feeling now.

Last edited:
Jack stood before the teacher that the principal referred to as Scarlett.... Such a beautiful name, made all the more enticing by the vibrant red hair she had. He had to try to stay professional, but he could tell she had a body under that prim outfit that would give Vixen's a run for her money. He managed to keep his eyes from doing a walking tour and smiled as he shook her hand. Such a confidence in her grip and a secret strngth in her grip. The more he learned about this teacher, the more he had to admit that he'd love to take some time and get to know her, but it wouldn't be appropriate. Judging by his reaction, it was clear that Jack Abraham and this Scarlett Jones were close. The last thing he needed was to be roasted for seeming to do a favor to the new woman he was seeing by helping her favorite student.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Scarlett. From what I heard, that young man could have used a break. There's only so many hours in the day and a boy his age shouldn't have to be taking on the world just to improve his life," He explained, turning and peering through the door as Jack was on the phone with his mom. He could hear snippets of his excited conversation from here and smiled at what he could pick up.

"Also, I didn't do this school many favors during my last visit, so I figured it could use some extra attention, some positive attention this time. I'd appreciate it if this stayed among the staff, though. The last thing the boy needs now is cameras and microphones jammed in his face to get a soundbite for the 6 o'clock news about me." Jack said, looking back to Hector and Scarlett, hoping to see that they understood.

For a few moments Vixen thought that Jack might have recognized her, but then that familiar look of restrained appreciation was gone.

"Well improving the life of that young man surely overshadows whatever fuss there was last time," Scarlett said, smiling at Jack. It was hard for her now, so hard to hide that she knew more.

"Thank you for your continued patronage of the school," Principal Smith said before turning to Scarlett. "Perhaps you and young Jack Abraham can give Mr. Dunbar a tour of the school before he leaves. Show him our facilities. I will be sure that your class is seen to. Thankyou once more Mr. Dunbar," Hector Smith said, reaching out to shake his hand before going over to talk to the administrative assistant at the front desk.

"Well," said Scarlett, looking over at Jack, "Would you like that tour?" She asked.

Clever, clever Principal Smith. When he spoke of their facilities it was a bit of a joke. They hardly had anything worth note. Scarlett also would have been willing to bet that he saw the appreciation in Jack's eyes when he looked at her. Smith must have been counting on her charms to win some more generosity out of him. Scarlett gave Smith an unfriendly look behind his back for the way he was pushing Jack, but when she turned back to Dunbar she was all smiles.

"This way then," she said, leading him out of the door and calling out to Jack Abraham as he started off to class. "Hey, Jack- would you like to help me give Mr. Dunbar a tour of the school?" She asked. If it was possible, Abraham's eyes lit up even more.

"Uh. Hell yes!" The teen said enthusiastically, earning him a repproachful look from his teacher. "Sorry Miss. Yes, I would," he said, falling into step with the adults as they made their way to the library.

Last edited:
Jack had an inkling of the real purpose behind this tour. He'd chosen to come to this school last year because it was one of the most underfunded places, but still outperformed on a graduation rate vs. funding analysis. He could tell that the teachers here were working so hard to get the level of performance they could from their students. He wanted to come and see how he could help get them the resources they needed. He was sure this place could be a beacon in this part of town and help spread his hopeful message as the economics improved. That was the whole idea behind his technological revolution.

It was kids like Jack Abraham that would be the vanguard of that change. He smiled at the young man's excitement at the idea of spending more time with "The Captain". Turning to Ms. Jones, he quipped. "Oh come now, he surely doesn't have to rein in his excitement, does he? Aren't schools supposed to be where students learn to express themselves?" He smiled over at her, hoping he was being his charming self.

"Come on, Jack. Let's see this place where you and your fellow students have been toiling while on campus." He said, moving to walk along beside the excited future college graduate. The halls were empty as they should be with the next period starting. Jack had timed his visit to coincide with a class hour starting; he didn't want a lot of kids hanging around, trying to grab selfies while he met with Vixen's ward. He wasn't sure why the boy was so important to her, but that didn't matter when he learned more about him.

They rounded the corner and Jack stopped short. "Oh come on... this is your library?" He asked, looking around at the rows of half-filled shelves and outdated encyclopedias. The computers around the outer walls all looked 2 or 3 generations behind. "How did you pass anything working in here?" Jack asked rhetorically. He was still standing there as Scarlett rounded the corner, her clacking heels giving her away.

Scarlett smirked as she watched Jack take off with the teen. There was no way she was going to condone his language on a professional level, but she understood it on a personal level. When they rounded the corner to the library Jack's reaction surprised her.

"You mean poorly stocked shelves and ancient tech don't factor as part of a library in your part of town?" Scarlett asked, a teasing tone in her voice. "We do the best we can, but some resources are just too costly. When you have a look at Maslow's Hierarchy you will find books and computers just aren't a priority until you have met the physiological and safety needs of your students. That is where our funds are going at the moment; into making sure these kids are fed well and safe." Scarlett explained.

"Besides, those of us that really wanna learn go to the library downtown. You gotta pay for the bus there and back... But the internet is reliable, at least," Jack Abraham said with a shrug that showed that it was just part of life for him.

"C'mon Jack, why don't you show 'The Cap' what we do well..." She said. Jack grinned and nodded.

Soon enough they left the library and made for the cafeteria. There were signs all around with examples of the healthy menu there, as well as a free daily "Breakfast & Study" club that they had implemented. It advertised the breakfast and study session would be supervised by teachers, so it would be clear that it cost in food as well as labour. Indeed, it was one of the many reasons Vixen spent had to rush off to work often in the early mornings. There were also signs for free counselling sessions in addition to what could be gotten from the school counsellor, and age-appropriate posters on everything from teen sexual health to domestic violence.

From there they went to the sports field. Jack Abraham was in his element there, showing off the equipment that had been donated by local charity groups and explaining how well his team was doing.

Last edited:
Jack was more than a little dismayed to see that they didn't have good materials on site. The families shouldn't have to pay for their kids to travel to get what they need for class. He nodded as he took it in and cataloged it. The cafeteria showed him what Ms. Jones was talking about; there were great menu options and he was glad that more than a few kids seemed to sign up for the "Breakfast and Study" program. She had a point; it's hard to care about school when you're hungry half the day.

As usual, the sports department had no trouble getting stocked. It's usually the most visible part of a school so it made sense that alumni and other organizations would make sure they have what they need. He watch Jack, seeing that he had the natural instincts for the sport, but he was probably a few inches too short to really be a stand-out player. That must have been what drew him to the serum; he wasn't naturally a top tier player and didn't see any other option. He heard stories like Jack's far too often.

As they walked back to the main building, Jack hung back with Ms. Jones. "How many other schools are facing budget problems? Not necessarily a shortfall, but having to make cuts like yours with the library?" He asked her quietly.

Scarlett had to stop the fond smile from showing on her face as Jack asked about the other schools. It was just another sign that she had been wrong about him, and she was glad he was. This was the side she had always hoped he had possessed, and it warmed her that he thought of the other schools. Jack Abraham walked a little ahead, prattling on about the sports teams, and then giving a running commentary of the science lab conditions as they passed them.

"In this area? We're all in the same boat. Some of the others have some alumni that help out from time to time... But us? Well, we're in that part of town that the alumni try not to associate themselves with. In fact, it wasn't until Hector started here five years ago that the graduating students truly had something to think kindly about us," she explained. She stopped talking when Jack Abraham stopped in his tracks and turned.

"Hey, Cap," he said slowly, his eyes darting to Scarlett a little sheepishly for a moment. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

Jack listened and grimly nodded. "The city should be funding you guys; you shouldn't have to rely on hand-outs from your alumni to make up the difference just to get your needs met." He said, sounding frustrated. "Sadly, until the economy shifts worldwide onto Infinium Reactors, there's going to be some tough times as there are in any industrial transition..." He said, already starting to form a plan.

"Thank you for showing this to me. I needed to see where I could help." He said, looking over at her again. He looked to be ready to say something more when Jack stopped and asked him his question.

"Sure, Jack, what's on your mind?" He asked, waiting to hear the boy's answer.

Scarlett watched as that now-familiar look took over Jack's face. He was taking the information she gave him, thinking about it, hatching a plan. She didn't even bother saying what she thought; the city government was corrupt. Sure, they were meant to be getting funding from them, but there was something to be said for keeping the poor firmly downtrodden. It was something she herself had been fighting against for years.

Scarlett looked at Jack Abraham with a perfectly manicured eyebrow cocked. She could see by the way he shuffled about that he knew he probably shouldn't be asking what he was about to ask, but she knew at this point there was no stopping him... And she was sure Dunbar would be able to field the question if it was inappropriate.

"So... You're essentially like a hero in this town, yeah?" Jack Abraham starts, slowly, clearly building to his points. "So you'd get around, probably have top secret meetings with other heroes and what-not... like, comic book style."

Scarlett let a small, appreciative chuckle out at that mental image. Jack Abraham looked at her, a little embarrassed, and she apologised.

"So, me and the other guys... We've heard of this woman- Vixen? Well... I mean, everyone has heard of her, but no-one's really gotten solid evidence that she's out there... Is she? Do you know her? You see, me and the others- we have this bet. They think that the thugs all made her up... but I think she's out there." He asked.

Scarlett looked over at Jack, curious as to how he would handle this delightful little enquiry.

Last edited:
"So... You're essentially like a hero in this town, yeah?"

Jack couldn't help a smile as Jack Abraham started laying out his points. It felt like this was leading up to a larger question so he kept his answer to a short "I'd like to think so..." He waited as the young man spelled out more of his background for asking and slowly he came to the point of Vixen. Jack did his best to hide a ripple of a smile, taking a slow breath to keep from chuckling as he listened to Jack Abraham.

Once the question was out, Jack's face darkened. He put on his best serious face as he took a step forward. "Vixen... now there is a truly dangerous woman... Even with all my technology I've only managed to catch sight of her a few times. We did meet... but only once. She didn't say much except to point me in the direction of something I was looking for."

Jack Abraham's face brightened. "The warehouse with your stolen Infinium!" he exclaimed; apparently news of their first night working togther was out, but not Vixen's involvement in the events.

Jack Dunbar nodded sagely. "I don't know why she helped me that night. If I'm honest, I'd love to ask her if she ever lets me find her again." He looked down very seriously into Jack Abraham's eyes. "But know this. While she is on our side, she is not a woman that suffers fools. She also doesn't like people looking for her. So, I'd keep this to yourself; you don't want the wrong sort of people overhearing this sort of confirmation."

Jack stood back up, hands on his hips as he looked to Jack Abraham to ensure he was taking this as seriously as he meant it. Once he saw it, he gave the young man a nod of confirmation before looking back at Ms. Jones. "So where are we off to next again?"

Scarlett and the two Jacks stopped walking as Dunbar's voice turned dark. At first Scarlett was surprised with the way he referred to her, but it only took a moment of listening and seeing Jack Abraham's voice for her to appreciate the true wisdom of it. He was answering exactly as she hoped he would; retaining her mysterious and dangerous image, encouraging the young man to keep his nose clean. But his answer didn't give away anything about how he may feel towards her, other than respect.

She saw the understanding dawn in Jack Abraham's eyes and she could breathe a little easier. This boy had so much going for him, he needed to make wiser decisions. Staying out of Vixen's way was certainly a wise decision.

"I'm not sure Mr. Dunbar, that depends entirely on whether there is anything left you would like to see and how much free time you have," Scarlett said politely. Jack Abraham looked a little deflated that their time may be ending so soon. But Scarlett was pleased. She had been so unsure about bringing Dunbar into this, but as she looked up at his rather handsome face she realized that this had gone perfectly.

Last edited:
Jack looked back at the school and set his jaw as he was clearly thinking some things over. Looking back at Jack Abraham, he knew he had to answer this the right way. "As much as I would love for Jack to show me around every nook and cranny of the school, the city needs me." He looked back down at the young man. "I know you understand." He stepped forward and placed a hand on the young man's shoulder. "But know this, you got that scholarship and the grant because you and your family deserve it. You are capable of greatness beyond the sports field. Your teachers think so and now, I think so. It's up to you to believe so and show us if we were right. Teachers like Ms. Jones will be there if it all gets too much; don't try to take on the world by yourself. It's good to reach out for a helping hand when you need it. It doesn't make you weak; it allows others to be strong."

He smiled and turned back to Ms. Jones. "Thank you as well for showing me how I can help. I hope I can speak with you and Hector in the coming weeks and months. You should expect to hear more from me at the school board as well." He offered his hand, smiling graciously.

"Yes, it is probably time for Jack and I to get back to class. But thank you Mr. Dunbar. Whatever patronage you can offer will be a great benefit to this school," Scarlett said, reaching out and gently shaking Jack's hand.

Jack Abraham then profusely thanked Jack Dunbar before Scarlett ushered him to class. She then turned back to Dunbar.

"Alright, I will walk you back to the office so you can sign out," She said, leading the way so that he could return his visitor pass, well aware that she was alone with him now.

Jack smiled, glad he came and had his eyes opened. He thanked Jack Abraham for his tour and made sure to stay back from the door when he went into his class so he didn't disrupt things any further. The young man kept his cards tight to his vest as he rejoined the class, but he was sure the bus ride home would be full of stories and proud displays of his letter.

Jack continued through the halls, walking slowly with the very striking and well put together Ms. Jones and he couldn't help but wonder if he'd met her before. It kept nagging at him, but he didn't say anything. "I'm glad this school has teachers like you. I imagine a place like this can grind people up and spit them out." He offered as they returned to the office, the empty halls clicking with the sounds of Scarlett's spike heels on the tile floor.

Scarlett noticed that Jack was walking a little slower now that they were on their way to the office. Even though he wasn't sure how he felt about Vixen, her true self, she was fairly certain that he was attracted to her as Scarlett. She turned, smiling as he complimented her.

"It does just that. Luckily I am made of tougher stuff," Scarlett said with a bright smile. "And thank you for your generosity once more. It will help Jack Abraham more than you could imagine. How... How did you hear about him? He would have told me if he had applied for any scholarships."

Jack smiled at her question. He wouldn't dare tell her; he couldn't betray Vixen's trust like that. He thought a moment before answering her. "Part of why I have my trusts and other charitable organizations set up around the city is that it lets me keep my ear to the ground. Not just the people that sit in the offices all day, but other people I employ. I hope you will forgive me if I can't be more forthcoming than that. Just know that someone I trust brought me information about Jack and his story. I looked into it a bit more and saw that this was a man I could truly help. He seemed to have gotten into something he shouldn't have for all the right reasons; desperation can make someone do something uncharacteristic if they think it can help their situation. So, doing what I did, I hoped to steer at least one young man from making the wrong choice for his future."

He looked over at Scarlett. He was worrying that he may seem to be laying it on too thick, but when he started talking about something, it just rolled like a snowball down hill until it became an avalanche. "Sorry, I guess people don't talk like that anymore..."

Back