The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

But...if you get a flat, does it spurt glitter????:D

*shudders*

I finished Twist Me today. I think I need to process it for a few days.

I hear that.

Crap! Is it that time already? I haven't really started it.

I've been making up time at work and much of my reading time is gone because I'm not taking lunches and I'm too tired at night.

Working for the weekend today!

No, it's not. We just did Beauty like last week.

Good idea.

What month are we supposed to be reading it? September? Yeah. We are getting ahead.

Hey, in addition to rating books if we want to, feel free to go over the list previously read and put in your thoughts on those as well or even add books you've enjoyed in the genre and recommend!

I figured I wouldn't post anything until at least the 15th. :rose:

Oh, collar and cuffs likes them, for her cats. :).

We have. Feathers often, from plucking, :eek:. Which I insist is done outside. Eventually weather and decay takes them away, but some are pretty and I think of thinks to do with them. If I were patient I'd make feather lamp shades. ( but I am not). The peacocks leaves feathers too, and people say I should sell them, but....pfft, seems more faff than its worth. I might get guinea fowl next. They have nice feathers too.

Guineas crack me up. Their "discussions" always sound like they need to have a gear oiled.

When you finally find a good book group that actually meets, and reads the book it's pretty awesome.

The cats do like peacock and guinea fowl feathers and they are less messy generally.

I like finally being a member of a book club. :)

Its more fun than I thought. Maybe I might feel inspired to join a real life one too eventually. Not a bdsm one though. :eek:

I love a good book club!!! May I join you?

Yep. This months book is Twist Me by Anna Zaires. That said, their's links to previous books we've discussed on the original post. If you've read any of those you're more than welcome to write a review.

Read your current book by Anne many years ago might have to re read. Wonder if after 12 my perceptions on the novel will have changed......

Will read the current series to catch up and look forward to joining you all!!

Last edited:
Pardon me for jumping in as latecomer to this thread, but I want to comment on the 'Beauty' books.

I read the trilogy years ago. I had read and enjoyed a few of Roquelaure's/Rice's vampire novels beforehand, so I was familiar with her style. The impression I retain is that the 'Beauty' books became tedious the further I read. Some of the situations I found preposterous and cruel, with the characters having no plausible way out. Granted, the books are clearly intended to be a BDSM fantasy/fairytale, but like legend, I believe the best fantasies are grounded in a kernel of realism, and as a reader I cannot enter a story without it.

Stepping off the soap box...I think Rice is a skilled writer who paints vivid pictures with words. Her 'Beauty' novels just don't work for me.

I have to agree. I love her style of writing. But these books seemed to be redundant and repetitive as I read. Admittedly it has been about ten years. By middle of book two I was forcing myself to finish the series.( one of my idiosyncrasies) much like others I felt most of this was non con and was difficult to relate to.

Love to have you to join. The Anne Rice book is a new book out just this year.

August 2015: Beauty's Kingdom (The Sleeping Beauty Quartet #4) by A.N. Roquelaure.

September 2015: Twist Me (Twist Me Series #1) by Anna Zaires.

Also, if you have read any of the books we have already done, feel free to chime in about them at any time.

:rose:

Read your current book by Anne many years ago might have to re read. Wonder if after 12 my perceptions on the novel will have changed......

Will read the current series to catch up and look forward to joining you all!!

Love to have you to join. The Anne Rice book is a new book out just this year.

August 2015: Beauty's Kingdom (The Sleeping Beauty Quartet #4) by A.N. Roquelaure.

September 2015: Twist Me (Twist Me Series #1) by Anna Zaires.

Also, if you have read any of the books we have already done, feel free to chime in about them at any time.

They put a fourth book out in that series???? The third was pulling treeth to finish. Now I have to read it because I hate an unfinished series :-(. Thank you for the correction. Kind of. Thank you as in "I'm sorry I misspoke". Damn you as in demand it I have to read the fourth now :-/

Oops! Sorries!

They put a fourth book out in that series???? The third was pulling treeth to finish. Now I have to read it because I hate an unfinished series :-(. Thank you for the correction. Kind of. Thank you as in "I'm sorry I misspoke". Damn you as in demand it I have to read the fourth now :-/

I tried to read it!

I think I'm the only person who actually read it, and I hadn't read the others, lol.

It looks like a lot of us are going to be talking about twist me though. I'll buy it at the end of the month.

I think I'm the only person who actually read it, and I hadn't read the others, lol.

It looks like a lot of us are going to be talking about twist me though. I'll buy it at the end of the month.

I already own it so money issues won't affect my ability to review it. Plus, Twist Me was my suggestion.

I like to make notes on my thoughts just after reading a book if I read it early.

It's ok! I'm not complaining :). I was just making it clear that nobody comes round and wallops one if you don't read the book. Sigh.

I'm not buying the next one til just before we review, because otherwise I read it then forget too much.

Y'all go ahead. I'm going to read the book this month and talk about it at the end of the month.

Twist Me by Anna Zaires

Did you like the book overall or not?

Yes. Loved it.

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

Well, from a SSC or RACK point of view, this is not BDSM as it distinctly lacks consent. That said, for just what BDSM represents it is BDSM (bondage/discipline, dominant/submissive, sado-masochism) it is a BDSM story. Positive? Not so much - this is a very dysfunctional relationship. It is certainly not my way.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

Oh yes. Very much.

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

Yes, although I'm not sure why. I don't usually like this kind of book as much as I did this one. I think that I like the lack of denial on the part of Nora and Julian as to what's going on and their natures. I like that they didn't try to excuse Julians actions, but at the same time they didn't try to make him this one dimensional bad guy. It's rare to find the shades of grey you find in Julian in this type of book. Neither did the author try to do the 'changed by the love a good woman' crap that annoys me. Julian didn't change - Nora did which is often how it really works. And of course, the plot line moved - it wasn't totally a wanker story.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

I was - I've read the sequels already. That said, there isn't anything else she's written that looked interesting. She says that this is the first 'dark' story she's written so I'm waiting to see if this is a new way of writing she's heading to.

What did you like best about this selection?

Offhand, I can't think of very little I didn't like. I've already reread this story about five times I enjoyed it so much.

What did you like the least?

[spoiler alert] It surprised me, but I grew to like Beth and was really sad that she died. That said, it made sense considering where the plot was going.

How would you have changed the story?

I can't think of anything, off hand.

Back