The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

I'm 3/4 in on The Professional and enjoying it very much. It's a trifle <snicker> on the fantabulous side, but the writing is so enjoyable that I'm willing to go along for the ride. I want a side-story on Jess. I have a serious character-crush on her! :)

Yeah it is. She's in the next book, too, and I'm hoping book three will be about her.

The Professional by Kresley Cole

Did you like the book overall or not?

Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

I felt that it was realistic, with nuances of both positive and negative concepts. Sevastyan is clearly conflicted about his desires and how he views them. I think that is a realistic struggle for many people. Natalie's reaction is thoughtful and not unreasonable or illogical for her character.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

Definitely better than average.

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

Very much! Cole is talented at setting the scene and circumstances. Although some of the circumstances were 'extra-ordinary' the follow-through made sense.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

Absolutely! I also realized that I've read one of her other, paranormal, novels, and that was also pretty good, though I liked this one better.

What did you like best about this selection?

The internal struggles of the characters, and definitely Natalie's inner humor.

What did you like the least?

The set up of the plot pushed my 'believability' boundaries, but it was so well crafted that I was willing to go along for the ride.

How would you have changed the story?

<SPOILER ALERT>

I would not have killed off Natalie's father quite so soon. It really annoyed me that she wasn't given enough time or information to have a fuller reunion with him. I suppose it suited the overall plot, but it was just plain mean. And that shows exactly how much I was drawn in to the story! LOL

I'm so happy you enjoyed the book too. Normally we talk about the book at the end of the month it's for but I can totally understand your eagerness! I will follow suit!

Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

I felt that it was realistic, with nuances of both positive and negative concepts. Sevastyan is clearly conflicted about his desires and how he views them. I think that is a realistic struggle for many people. Natalie's reaction is thoughtful and not unreasonable or illogical for her character.

Definitely better than average.

Very much! Cole is talented at setting the scene and circumstances. Although some of the circumstances were 'extra-ordinary' the follow-through made sense.

Absolutely! I also realized that I've read one of her other, paranormal, novels, and that was also pretty good, though I liked this one better.

The set up of the plot pushed my 'believability' boundaries, but it was so well crafted that I was willing to go along for the ride.

<SPOILER ALERT>

I would not have killed off Natalie's father quite so soon. It really annoyed me that she wasn't given enough time or information to have a fuller reunion with him. I suppose it suited the overall plot, but it was just plain mean. And that shows exactly how much I was drawn in to the story! LOL

Yes! It was fun!

I felt that it was not realistic is some ways. Such as sex and windows to watch others have sex in what was a BDSM club? Or was it a sex club? Never been to one in which actual sex went on. Rather there were scenes which might be "sex" for us but not PIV, anal or blow jobs at all.

For Nat to be a voyeur, exhibitionist and all of itist just didn't ring true to me either. I did enjoy how she embraced kink in general I just think it's a bit unrealistic to be into everything like that and a little of a gimme for the author.

OTOH, I did like the conflict somewhat though it became tedious, after a while. Real people are conflicted.

I admit they made me somewhat hawt. To the, "will I wake my husband if I pull out BOB right now? lolz

Yes. It made me want to study up on Russian mobsters though.

In this series yes. Other books of hers that I've read were not as interesting to me. They tend to be too romance-y to me.

I loved how a virgin could be so strong, irreverent and kinky. I saw myself in that. I loved how she fought for a workable relationship.

The times she was closed out by whats his name.

How "perfect" both of their bodies and looks were.

How often they had sex. All unbelievable.

I too would have liked it if the father had lived longer too.

SO GLAD EVERYONE LIKED IT!!!

Oh, yeah. Loved it. I bought it shortly after it came out and have reread it enough times, by now, that I've lost track.

It was pretty realistic and positive. On the not-so-realistic aspect is that everything went smoothly without anyone knowing anything about the other person and their kinks, but honestly no one wants to read a kinky book where things don't run smoothly.

Oh, yes. Especially when they were still in the heavy flirting stage. Rawr.

Yes. I thought the plot line was interesting - it kept from skipping through to the next sex scene. But I'm a big Kresley Cole fan, so that's not a huge sign.

There is very little she's written that I haven't read.

I really liked the characters - they were interesting and Natalie's smart mouth had me grinning several times. And the hot, steamy sexy scenes. Cause you know, rawr.

Um. There was several little things through the story that weren't great, but nothing that I felt detracted from my enjoyment of the story. I know that the whole 'poor girl falls for rich kinky billionaire' thing is popular in the kinky erotica circles, but it honestly does nothing for me normally.

I was pretty pleased with it, as is. I agree that it would have been nice if the father had lived. That was so sad. :(

Last edited:
I'm glad we all enjoyed the June book. A reminder, the July 2015 BDSM BOTM is,
Closer and Closer by Jenna Barton.

I'm glad we all enjoyed the June book. A reminder, the July 2015 BDSM BOTM is,
Closer and Closer by Jenna Barton.

I'm especially pleased you liked it. We don't normally agree on books. lol Of course, as I'm getting pickier. I was trying to read a lora leigh book the other day and just could not get through it! lol

Can I jump in? Which book should I start with?

You can and you're more than welcome to review any book that we've reviewed. There's a complete list on the first page, or you can join in the book we read this month (The Professional by Kresley Cole).

Yes! You can jump in just like Graceanne said! Love to have you join us!

Can I jump in? Which book should I start with?

Me too. I love it when we agree on books. I've found this author to not be to my taste in the past.

Now I want to know what the next book will be like!

I'm especially pleased you liked it. We don't normally agree on books. lol Of course, as I'm getting pickier. I was trying to read a lora leigh book the other day and just could not get through it! lol

Yes! You can jump in just like Graceanne said! Love to have you join us!

Me too. I love it when we agree on books. I've found this author to not be to my taste in the past.

Now I want to know what the next book will be like!

I liked it better. It was a bit more kinky. And a BIT .... well suffice it to say when she wants to leave he won't let her. :cattail:

Okay is it just me or what? I have NEVER felt thick, hot, ropes, of come, spurting inside me. How about you? Am I broken? Or is this fiction?

:eek:

Okay is it just me or what? I have NEVER felt thick, hot, ropes, of come, spurting inside me. How about you? Am I broken? Or is this fiction?

I just do not understand why that's in erotica. Never did. I figure maybe some people have more sensitive vagina's than mine. *shrugs*

I finished The Professional. I'm still chewing on it.

Nom, nom, nom, don't worry if you had a different thought about it. We all like different things and that's okay.

:rose:

Yup. If you look back over old discussions you'll find that it's rare for everyone to agree and that's totally okay. Truthfully, disagreements often lead to some pretty cool conversations.

NOT just you. LOL I've felt plenty of wonderful throbbing cocks, but that's about it. Anatomically, there simply aren't enough nerve endings in the vagina to make that possible. I know, I'm a killjoy. :p

Yes, I did like the book, quite a bit. The story was extremely provocative.

This is a question that I'm not sure I can really answer. BDSM is still so very new to me, beyond reading that I've done. I felt the club scene, while enjoyable to read, was over the top for me. Up to that point, I found Natalie easy to relate to, but even with my partner of 11.5 years, that situation would be outside of my trust level.

I really enjoyed the sex in the book. I thought the scene in the banya was extremely hot.

I really liked the book, a lot. I didn't necessary like the ending. I struggle with situations that feel overly "lovey-dovey," if that makes sense, and the ending of this book felt like that for me.

I think so. Only recently have I started really reading from this genre beyond Lit. I normally read "mainstream" fiction, if you will, but I felt like this author had decent character development. So, I'd be willing to explore other titles.

When Natalie realizes that she needs the kink, it really resonated with me, as I have for years felt like I needed it, as well. I liked the relationship development, to a point. I think the conflict development was resolved nicely.

I feel like the plot of the story moved too fast, and having had my own set of "daddy" issues, it was totally unrealistic for her to have developed that level of feeling for her father. I felt like he was killed off too quickly.

I wouldn't have had a happy ending. Call me cynical, but I wish one of these damn books would end with a state of conflict, or even a melancholy catharsis.

NOT just you. LOL I've felt plenty of wonderful throbbing cocks, but that's about it. Anatomically, there simply aren't enough nerve endings in the vagina to make that possible. I know, I'm a killjoy. :p

Good to know.

I'm glad this isn't just me. I find this idea over the top ridiculous.

Okay, now I know I'm not the only one without a super sensitive vagina, can I also say this sounds gross, too?

Back