The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Good morning to y'all.

Ogg, good to hear your head is negative. Damn that didn't come out right.

I really have to feel lucky. Even after a quintuple bypass, I am still active and feel good. Sure there are some aches and pains that have crept into my body here and there, but I still feel really good. Now having said that, I know I have just jinxed myself as I get older.:eek:

Coffee can be good... please.

Hope y'all have a good day.

Good morning to y'all.

Ogg, good to hear your head is negative. Damn that didn't come out right.

I really have to feel lucky. Even after a quintuple bypass, I am still active and feel good. Sure there are some aches and pains that have crept into my body here and there, but I still feel really good. Now having said that, I know I have just jinxed myself as I get older.:eek:

Coffee can be good... please.

Hope y'all have a good day.

In terms of 'major events in life', I quite agree with you;
(in my case it was cancer, your seems to have been a 'dickie ticker').

If I manage to have a decent kip tonight and take my pills early in the morning
I might even make some coffee as well as my breakfast eggs.
Whoopie !

Any chance of a cup of tea please ?

Life is but a dream.
Beware awakening.

But I digress. Rain stopped pounding between my departure and return so tire tracks are still visible in the dirt driveway. And I wanted to be stealthy. Darn.

My dentist's office is a five minute drive away, or three minutes if I don't slow down for potholes. They just called to remind me of a root canal scheduled for eight fucking thirty tomorrow morning. I'll remind them not to strain my heart. I miss my previous dentist, who freely gassed me. I slept through drillings, heh.

Coffee this morning was a success. The followup with cocoa and whiskey worked too. I am almost awake. But if life is a dream, why do I need a root canal job?

Earlier, I put on a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. It is now ready to eat. There is corn bread on the side.

A fresh pot of coffee for the even crowd.

Got some writing done and a little research. That is about all.

I thought about gumbo, yum, as I considered what to make for supper. And a momentous moral revelation unfolded! I suddenly realized the answer to the question, What is the root of all evil? No, it's not demons, or lust for wealth, or brain disease. The root of all evil is... food. Eliminate food and evil will disappear. Fast and do no wrong. Think about it.

I thought about gumbo, yum, as I considered what to make for supper. And a momentous moral revelation unfolded! I suddenly realized the answer to the question, What is the root of all evil? No, it's not demons, or lust for wealth, or brain disease. The root of all evil is... food. Eliminate food and evil will disappear. Fast and do no wrong. Think about it.

I suppose if we eliminate food, then evil will disappear - everyone starves to death. That’s a bit overkill to annihilate evil. Then again, there’s no fun, no life, no rhyme or reason, no sex; nothing, nothing at all - just the end of life. So, basically, the root of all evil would be life, not food.
🌹Kant👠👠👠

Ya better hurry before you get snowed in or it's all gone. Gumbo doesn't stay around long with the bunch here.

In real life, it's a long two-day's drive. I probably won't make it. In the virtual world, "That was great. Is there more?"

We have no risk of being snowed in, but they did have an avalanche up at Taos Ski Valley, and there's more snow on the way. They dug out two skiers and sent one off by air ambulance. They don't know if there are more. Maybe we'll know come spring.

Wolf Creek, in far southern Colorado, has more than six feet of snow on the slopes, with heavy snow expected tomorrow. In a wet year Wolf Creek can get more than 200 inches, and that's where they stop measuring. They have a long way to go to get 200 inches on the ground, but even the southern foothills of the San Juans could get 18 inches tonight.

We might get rain.

It is too friggin early for backwards words or maybe it's too late. Why am I awake at this unnatural hour? I'm blaming it on the misalignment of the north and south pole. A cinnamon pop-tart and a mug of hot chocolate should put things back right.

Uh, while I'm at it, I might as well whip up a fresh pot of coffee for the TGIF crowd.

Wolf Creek, in far southern Colorado, has more than six feet of snow on the slopes, with heavy snow expected tomorrow. In a wet year Wolf Creek can get more than 200 inches, and that's where they stop measuring. They have a long way to go to get 200 inches on the ground, but even the southern foothills of the San Juans could get 18 inches tonight.

We might get rain.

I like to watch the skiing programme on TV (especially the Hahnenkamm downhill from Kitzpuhel).
[btw: Thank You Franz Klammer]

It's a programme of relatively short duration on a winter's Sunday afternoon. This week, they changed it because the Slalom could not be run as they's had 'over three metres' of snow; (that's about ten feet) in 24 hours !.

"TxRad : Earlier, I put on a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. It is now ready to eat. There is corn bread on the side."

Is 'gumbo' some sort of soup-stuff ?
(I never did understand the Brenda Lee song reference to 'filly gumbo')

Yes HP, Gumbo is a spicy type of soup with meat, rice, and tomatoes. It originated as far as I know in south Louisiana. Filiy is a root spice. Very pungent and flavorful. Check out Cajun cooking.

And a cuppa coffee while you do your research. ;)

Grumpy Og again...

I wanted to do a fairly simple financial transaction.

It could be done by App - I don't have a phone that takes apps, and even if I did I'd have to attach a full-size keyboard because of clumsy fingers (not age-related but since birth).

It could be done by phone but the initial part is a whole series of voice-activated answers. It didn't recognise ANY of my answers and I had difficulty hearing some of the questions even with loudness control on maximum.

I gave up and went to my Bank branch. A 'customer advisor' helped me through the phone call but it wouldn't accept her verbal answers either. Eventually, she got through to a real person but the call failed. Start again...

I had to give her some of my answers but the remote person needed to speak to me in person. I couldn't hear them until the customer advisor put the phone on loudspeaker. Even then the transaction was difficult because he was softly spoken and I had to ask him to repeat several times. Twenty minutes after I sat down with the customer advisor, the transaction was completed satisfactorily.

One of my sons-in-law did a similar transaction by app recently. It took him less than five minutes.

Modern banking systems are not designed for ancients with hearing and speech problems.

Coffee needed while I calm down.

Left Western Queensland yesterday after at least 15 consecutive days maxing out over 40 Celsius with a top nudging 47.

Only to arrive in Sydney where it's not so hot in the daytime but it's still 34 Celsius at 12.45 am. The maximum tomorrow is forecast to be 28, 6 degrees celsius less than today's minimum. Crazy.

Thank Lord for AC.

I like to watch the skiing programme on TV (especially the Hahnenkamm downhill from Kitzpuhel).
[btw: Thank You Franz Klammer]

It's a programme of relatively short duration on a winter's Sunday afternoon. This week, they changed it because the Slalom could not be run as they's had 'over three metres' of snow; (that's about ten feet) in 24 hours !.

A lot of the Alps get way more snow than the southern Rockies, but we take what we can get. A big part of the difference is our latitude. Where I sit, I'm at about the same latitude as Athens. It takes quite a bit of altitude to offset the effect of latitude.

They updated the news from Taos. One of the skiers died.

Well, I'm in a better mood this morning. Good morning y'all.

Coffee please.

Yesterday was spent getting my new power supply installed in my desktop (not really a desktop, it is more of a floor model). The old one had been crapping out, slowly. First it could only power up four drives instead of six. Then it went down to two. Then half my memory disappeared. Then I had to remove an expansion card ASA controller. I finally figured out it was the psu going crap.

Installed a brand new 750watt PSU. All my memory is back, all my disk drives are powered up and my expansion card is purring along smoothly. This PSU also has a hook up to one of the USB connections on the motherboard and software that gives you all the details on the PSU and your system you could ever want.

It's a modern marvel for $80. And it came with a 7 year warranty. The old one was only 3 years, but it lasted 6.

Y'all have a great day. I know I will now. ;)

I wanted to do a fairly simple financial transaction.

It could be done by App - I don't have a phone that takes apps, and even if I did I'd have to attach a full-size keyboard because of clumsy fingers (not age-related but since birth).

It could be done by phone but the initial part is a whole series of voice-activated answers. It didn't recognise ANY of my answers and I had difficulty hearing some of the questions even with loudness control on maximum.

I gave up and went to my Bank branch. A 'customer advisor' helped me through the phone call but it wouldn't accept her verbal answers either. Eventually, she got through to a real person but the call failed. Start again...

I had to give her some of my answers but the remote person needed to speak to me in person. I couldn't hear them until the customer advisor put the phone on loudspeaker. Even then the transaction was difficult because he was softly spoken and I had to ask him to repeat several times. Twenty minutes after I sat down with the customer advisor, the transaction was completed satisfactorily.

One of my sons-in-law did a similar transaction by app recently. It took him less than five minutes.

Modern banking systems are not designed for ancients with hearing and speech problems.

Coffee needed while I calm down.

So, this customer adviser didn't have a computer in front of her that she could have done the transaction for you? Seems like customer no-service type of adviser to me.

I go to my branch bank and site down with a service rep(that's what they are called here) and she asks me for some information and types it in the computer on her desk and boom the transaction is finished. Or I can do that same transaction on my desktop computer. Just saying.

So, this customer adviser didn't have a computer in front of her that she could have done the transaction for you? Seems like customer no-service type of adviser to me.

I go to my branch bank and site down with a service rep(that's what they are called here) and she asks me for some information and types it in the computer on her desk and boom the transaction is finished. Or I can do that same transaction on my desktop computer. Just saying.

For most things, yes she could.

But for that particular transaction, I would either have to set up an online account which I'm reluctant to do because the bank has a poor record on hacking; or I have to do it by phone.

The final part, paying a bill - that she could and did do.

But the last time I wanted to pay a bill in the branch, the branch's broadband was down for 24 hours, and the following day the branch was closed. I crossed the road to another bank where I have another account and processed the payment within a couple of minutes.

Relying on one bank in the UK can be enbarrassing when their servers die...

But coffee is always reliable. :)

For most things, yes she could.

But for that particular transaction, I would either have to set up an online account which I'm reluctant to do because the bank has a poor record on hacking; or I have to do it by phone.

The final part, paying a bill - that she could and did do.

But the last time I wanted to pay a bill in the branch, the branch's broadband was down for 24 hours, and the following day the branch was closed. I crossed the road to another bank where I have another account and processed the payment within a couple of minutes.

Relying on one bank in the UK can be enbarrassing when their servers die...

But coffee is always reliable. :)

I see. That's too bad. Good to know, though.

You're in luck Zeb, I always use the big pot for gumbo.

It's supposed to get down to 28 Sunday here.

You're in luck Zeb, I always use the big pot for gumbo.

It's supposed to get down to 28 Sunday here.

The prediction for our high on Sunday is 18 along with several inches of snow and high winds.

The prediction for our high on Sunday is 18 along with several inches of snow and high winds.

:rose::kiss:

Which is why I live somewhere it only snows every ten years or more. ;)

If I was 10 years younger, there are a couple of lakes down on the border I'd be living on. Land with at least a water view is cheap. Property taxes are even lower than here and it's warmer than here all year round.

Fresh coffee for the after lunch crowd.

Uh, speaking of lunch. I need to fix something.

Back