Tell me about your Tat!

SherlockianMan

Lit Librarian
Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of tattoos, both getting them and seeing them. However, since most of mine are fairly unique, I don't like to post them because they can be identified. My guess is there are others here with similar qualms. So instead of sharing pics, I thought it would be fun to share the stories behind them. I'll start:

I didn't get my first tat until I was in my 30s. I wanted one forever, but could never decide or motivate myself. That changed when my grandfather died. He was a pillar in my life and I got my first tat to honor him, something to always be there to remind me of him.

I love tattoos myself, and have 5 areas tattooed. The latest I got was as a memory of an amazing 4 week road trip in New Zealand, where the country really got under my skin. I then found this Maori inspired map of New Zealand and fell in love with it.

Attachments

• newzealandink.jpeg
    newzealandink.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 7
I have eight tattoos, and I have plans for several more. My most recent ink is a pair of coronaviruses; one for each time I had COVID-19. One of them is bigger than the other because both me and my spouse, who sports a matching set of virus tats, were sicker the second time. In fact, I almost lost my spouse to a 105.5 degree fever.

Those are our victory markings, like fighter pilots in both World Wars would have on their planes to commemorate enemy fighters they shots down.

I have eight tattoos, and I have plans for several more. My most recent ink is a pair of coronaviruses; one for each time I had COVID-19. One of them is bigger than the other because both me and my spouse, who sports a matching set of virus tats, were sicker the second time. In fact, I almost lost my spouse to a 105.5 degree fever.

Those are our victory markings, like fighter pilots in both World Wars would have on their planes to commemorate enemy fighters they shots down.
Glad you both made a full recovery. Scary stuff.

I'm at eight now too. My version of a "victory" tat is a Doctor Who collage I got to signify getting my Master's degree. Since the Doctor defeats the Master.😄

Glad you both made a full recovery. Scary stuff.

I'm at eight now too. My version of a "victory" tat is a Doctor Who collage I got to signify getting my Master's degree. Since the Doctor defeats the Master.😄
That’s brilliant!

I only have one geeky tattoo. I have Hellboy’s Right Hand of Doom.

20220528_111333.jpg

This was my last tat of the three I have. Obviously this came after I battled the virus. I was knocked back for a month back when it first arrived here in states back in March of 2020. Scariest time of my wife between the high fever 105.9 and the uncontrollable cough. Having chronic bronchitis led to be scary times.

The other 2 tats are of my wife's name and our son's so I will not be sharing those

I do not have tats. I had a sword on my arm in my early 20s and I hated it more and more until I got it removed after about 15 years. I will never get another one.

Having said that if you like them on you I have no issues. Your body, your choice.

I do not have tats. I had a sword on my arm in my early 20s and I hated it more and more until I got it removed after about 15 years. I will never get another one.

Having said that if you like them on you I have no issues. Your body, your choice.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I will say, I'm glad I waited til I was in my 30s, because I'm sure 20 yr old me could have put some dumb shit on my body had I given into the urge.

I have a large one on my right upper atm from my shoulder to just above my elbow. If I wear a short sleeve shirt, it is hidden, unless I am really moving my arms. It is a weathered old tree, with a bald eagle perched in the branches, and a fow creeping around the trunk. It is just black ink in caucasian skin. I got it after my army service. Only my late grandfather ever wanted to hear about my time in the army. So, I told a bunch of stories to the artist as she did my ink, all in one setting. I served with the 101st Airborne Division at the height of my military service, and I was Military Intelligence, hence the fox. But, now a days, I just say it's Pride (Eagle), Guile (Fox), and weathered but still standing (Tree).

The biggest I have goes the entire side of one calf. Three different sessions, about 9+ hours total, about ten different colored ink used. It's based on my favorite anime series but a custom design collab between my artist and I.

I got my 1st tat at age 13. It's a ?!;
( My friend Tania had permanent ink in a bottle, and we used a needle and somehow it worked.. )
A large purple rose on my calf signifies my love of purple 💜
Baby 👣 on my shoulders
A significant name inside a sun on my left chest/breast area.
And a unique colored butterfly that my sister drew before she passed away..

Back